Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "secrets" of the classes?

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Hi all!

I am having a new return to LOTRO. As always, I am struggling finding me a class to stick to. This is probably mostly due to that I am a horrible slow leveler in this game... (sigh)

What I would like to know, is the different classes "secrets"; those skills/traits that does'nt come out clearly in the class description. Like if they have heals, teleports, summoning or other nice skills. Well, I thought I would ask you here for help about this info. Feel free to add any additional "fun-stuff" that makes the day with your class!

In advance: thanks!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Burg-- stealth , crowd control.. and can start fellowship manuvers.. situational offtanking.. or helping the tank maintain aggro..

No ports, no speed, damage ain't great..

That's my class.

It's a slow leveling game, and expect to have alt-itus a few months till u find your class. stick with it!

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Thanks!

Started to play at release, still my highest is only level 32... and I have 5 /played days on that hunter (created at release). Did it slow due to the Undying title. Think I did it all to 25 cause I really thought it was a new title at 25... hehehehe. But I have been on & off quite alot. Seems like I meet a wall around 30, then I am gone. This time I am more dedicated to try getting further into the game. At least try breaking the level 40 line...

So, maybe, by getting more info about the various classes, other than the meager description at the in-game description would help me find a class I would (hopefully) keep with for a longer time.

• SpiroTrisSpiroTris Member Posts: 60

I love how the LMs DPS is seriously underestimated and people who never played LM themselves tell others off for doing things "the wrong way"... LM is one of hardest classes to master because you have all the roles. You can DPS, debuff, CC, heal, cure wounds/diseases and transfer powers to your gangmembers...

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by chrisel

Hi all!
    I am having a new return to LOTRO. As always, I am struggling finding me a class to stick to. This is probably mostly due to that I am a horrible slow leveler in this game... (sigh)
    What I would like to know, is the different classes "secrets"; those skills/traits that does'nt come out clearly in the class description. Like if they have heals, teleports, summoning or other nice skills. Well, I thought I would ask you here for help about this info. Feel free to add any additional "fun-stuff" that makes the day with your class!
    In advance: thanks!

After buying lotro in 2007, and only playing through the free 30 days, I just recently subscribed and I have been having a blast.

I would also like to have a good list of the things you're asking about.  A nice thorough list for each class would be awesome.  I've been bouncing around from class to class myself.

BUT.  I have to say that the Warden class is probably my class.  Wardens didn't exist when I first played a couple years ago (along with Rune-Keepers).  It's a class that can seem very complicated at first, but it's not.  Once you get into your groove it's a blast, level after level.

The warden's gambit system allows you to do many things, all while you're damaging the mob.  Depending on the combination of your 3 main skills, you use a bonus skill to pop onto the mob.  This bonus is anywhere from a Heal over Time, Large Attack, Lifetap DoT, Taunt over Time, etc.

It's really a lot of fun.  I read a short into/guide to the class after googling it, and that was all I needed for everything to 'click' for me.

Unless I know it's going to be an overly easy kill, I open with my Heal over Time and then hammer the mob with the large attacks.  If it's going to be a tough fight, I'll do the HoT + the Lifetap over Time before starting in on bonus damage.

Anyway, enough of random rambling.  Here are some *key* features of the warden class that make it stand out in my opinion:

- You get a ranged attack from the start - you throw javelins.  Some mobs are even dead before they get to you, others are hurt a decent amount before they get to you.  And of course some mobs are hardly damaged.. But generally it's a nice bonus.

- You get a 25% run-speed buff.  Granted, when it drops you are down to about a 5th of your power, but with some planning this isn't an issue.  Even the hunter only has a 15% run-speed buff..  Believe me, when running around town or travelling down the road, 25% run-speed is very nice. 

- You have stealth.  It's not the best, and it has a 3m cooldown, but it can really come in handy - especially when setting up to use your Ambush ranged attack on a mob.

- You have superior IN-combat health regen - in the form of a toggled skill that's always on.

Those are just some of the cool things that stand out for me.  I'm only level 25 yet, but it's been great.  The warden is a tank in medium armor and a shield.  You can take a beating.  The heal over times and the wide array of special attacks really make this class stand out.

I really didn't intend to write something near this long.  I was just reading some posts before getting some sleep.  I just logged out of Lotro in fact.  I'm so tired I can hardly see straight.. Dang game really grabbed me last night.

Anyway, I hope that helps - at least in regard to the warden class if you were considering it.  Best of luck finding a class that fits you.

Acidon

-

Wow! Stealth on the Warden?? That was new to me. This is "things" I am looking for in this thread. I really did'nt know that the Warden's ranged attacks would be so powerful as you describe either. I thought it would be just like throwing for any other class. I will definately take a closer look at this class!

Any other hidden key features of your favorite class?

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Wardens are a truly fun class to play. On the gambits, they enable 4 skill gambits after level 30.

I think every class has something special in and of itself and can be enjoyable. Also think that every class has something that can be frustrating.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

If you are in a group and think you are going to wipe but somehow you survive its probably because you had a good captain in your group but people wont realize what saved you ;) 

Captains are the most underapreciated class in the game, and maybe the most "secret".

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

My very first character was a Captain =). He is still there, at level 20 & undefeated... I loved the idea of a hard hitting dps, 2 hander + pet, but it unfortunately did'nt get me going.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

i have a lvl 20 warden and it was a little ackward at first and you need to remeber what combinations to use for your gambits but nothing beats charging up a spear toss slamming it home and running up and finishing the job all in sleath mode  the warden seemed to be the best role class for me

Are there any classes that can summon?

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by chrisel

Are there any classes that can summon?

Captain

Nice. Will give the Warden a good try first before going back to my Captain. In beginning, most classes are simple, and not very "defined". At what level does the "real fun" start with Wardens?