Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the best gaming laptop for £1500-£1700 price range?

massicksmassicks Member Posts: 46
Recently my better half "persuaded" me to sell my desktop because "it makes the house look untidy". I am now looking for a gaming laptop that can cope with current mmo's and future releases such as swtor and sto. My budget is £1500 to £1700 (roughly $3000-$3400). Please help!

Comments

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

no laptop will replace a PC for gaming...

but here ya go, starting from BP 1599

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-alienware-m17x?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=lthp

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Ignore her worthless, girly opinion, grow a pair, and get a humungous desktop gaming rig.  Tell her she needn't look at it, especially if she stays in the kitchen and only enters your gaming room to bring you food and a beer.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

You might also want to get one of those laptop coolers. I hear heat can be a problem in longer sessions.

• Well at 1.5k EUROs you have a shit load of options. This is what I would buy personally

http://www.mysn.de/detail.asp?userid=5c9id997e1420107og8i4825q081d8dh1d376i8ob8jl5hl33o&KategorienOrder=010;020;015;028&bestellnr=adnu0001

But I would wait. I think the GTX280M is the best on the market now for notebooks and it doesn't support DX11. Really just wait for DX11 there aren't any games out right now worth playing with high end systems.

EDIT: yeah ATI is selling their first DX11 card (desktop) on new egg now for 600USD, I couldn't find the NVIDIA counterpart. I think it's safe to say there aren't any DX11 notebooks yet. So yeah if you are looking for something for the future, it's DX11 and it's not out yet.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by Forumfall

You might also want to get one of those laptop coolers. I hear heat can be a problem in longer sessions.

this.

even if the alienware i commented above is designed for gaming and as such has all sorts of materials to keep temperature down, you need to use it in a cool environment on a flat surface if you are going to demand much of it.

otherwise you do risk having it heat up and shutting down or in worst case scenarios frying the video card or another component.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Get a gaming rig with a custom build tower and keybords that goes with the house..

some examples..

www.xoxide.com/allcases.html

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I was recently in a very similar position as you are.

I bought a desktop.

For a gamer, a laptop is just not a good investment. You'll end up paying a fortune and still end up with hardware far inferior to what you could have gotten for the same price in a desktop. Space was an issue for me, so I hunted around and found a nice compact case and a couple of long leads.

Now my "gaming computer" consists of a wall mounted LCD (can also be used as a TV), and a keyboard and mouse. The case is cheerfully hidden away in a small cabinet next to my chair.

So much better than playing on a cramped and underpowered laptop imo.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift