Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glimmer of hope for the bot infestation

abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Aion has been infested with bots with little to no end in sight, till last night i got a glimmer of hope. i play on Yustiel server and was on my Assassin alt i had recently made. and there was an ACTUAL GM in the sin chat channel,appearently he was going around banning bots. people would say where there was a ton of bots at and the GM would port out there and bann the bots it was very nice to see something FINNALLY being done about the bots. the GM was actually pretty cool too, was bsing with us while he was searching for bots. there was actually 2 the one did chime in once but he wasn't as talkative as the other one.

it was the only time i ever seen them do anything about the bots tho, but hoping its only the first time and they're going to activly hunt the bots all the time like they did last night. just figured i'd share with you guys what i saw last night on my server.

i had posted this on the Yustiel server and an eylos posted saying he saw a GM over there one shotting bots all day..lol patch went in today and i guess part of it was them adding more (or any, never seen or heard from one before last night) gms to the game.

Comments

• PizziJQPizziJQ Member Posts: 140

This is good, Almost makes me want to reactivate my account lol! I hope aion does good even though im a WoW fan!

Lvl 75 Black Mage/White Mage ffxi
    Lvl 80 Druid WoW
    Lvl 34 Ranger Aion

• That's awesome news. Hopefully they can get the bots under control. I've been playing for a couple weeks now, and the bots haven't really had an impact on my gameplay yet.

• Legato89Legato89 Member Posts: 297

Nothing more than a publicity move to rejuvinate those who are bored already. New patch after 2 months and no GM support, when they finally add a patch they do what they should have been doing since day 1.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Legato89

Nothing more than a publicity move to rejuvinate those who are bored already. New patch after 2 months and no GM support, when they finally add a patch they do what they should have been doing since day 1.

i do agree with you on that they should have had the gms in place at the start and not let the bots get to the point they was at. Publicity stunt tho? no i think money talks and BS walks, and if they want our money they saw they had to do somethign about the bots, and thats what they did. plain and simple they did it to keep the customers happy so they can keep getting our money, and thats all I asked for honestly.

bots was the only problem i had with the game, i even cancelled my account once and wrote them saying it was because of the botting problem. tho it was a bluff and resubbed a few days later i just figured it wouldn't hurt to let them know how stongly i felt about the problem.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472
    Originally posted by Legato89

Seems like for you it really doesn't matter what they do or don't do that they can't win.

Yes they need GM support. This is a hopeful thread for those who wonder if any GMs exist and as such is nice to see. As to the patch it's a patch and every patch could have more in it or be released sooner or is an update for stuff that should have already been in the game or never been broken. It's a patch.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Glad to see GM's are banning them.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Hopefully they will remove Captcha, no reason that all should suffer because of a few...

RIP Orc Choppa

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by arctarus

Hopefully they will remove Captcha, no reason that all should suffer because of a few...

You want the bots out or not? There's very little you can do to prevent it and captcha is one way.

A game I used to play, added "resource protectors" that randomly attacked the gatherer. And bots learned how to kill them in 2 days.

Adding horde of GMs isn't the answer, because they can't be everywhere all the time.

Player policing leads to griefing and unjust judgements.

And FYI, bots in Aion aren't few anymore.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I'm glad to see they are taking direct action against bots, about the only real way to manage it.

Overall the bots haven't effected me much, in most cases I've found them farming in areas with plenty of available mobs to kill, but I suppose somewhere out there they are blocking player progression so they need to go.

Gold selling spam is way down, and that I really appreciate, was annoying to have to start my play sessions blocking 5-10 spammers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Lately i have seen a dent in the bot population on Lumiel, so it does show that they are banning, hopefully they can keep the bots to a minumum.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Pelaaja
    Originally posted by arctarus Hopefully they will remove Captcha, no reason that all should suffer because of a few...

You want the bots out or not? There's very little you can do to prevent it and captcha is one way.
    A game I used to play, added "resource protectors" that randomly attacked the gatherer. And bots learned how to kill them in 2 days.
    Adding horde of GMs isn't the answer, because they can't be everywhere all the time.
    Player policing leads to griefing and unjust judgements.
    And FYI, bots in Aion aren't few anymore.

The game currently has this AutoReport feature, for reporting bots. It doesn't seem to do anything at all, so what I'd like to see is a captcha thing that's limited to people who get reported with that AutoReport button. If you get reported, you have 2 minutes to enter the captcha, before your character ceases to be able to do any damage - a debuff that would even last agfter death, since bots recover from death so easily.

Of course it could be used to annoy people, so to prevent that, stick with the max of 10 reports per player, per day, and make it require reports from three different players to kick in.

Then it'd deal with the bots, without forcing captcha on everyone, while at worst, being a minor annoyance to people who are wrongly reported.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Maybe it's just me but I keep a block list of the bots I've reported.  I can honestly say that none of the bots I have reported are still in game.

Maybe I'm just reporting the lazy bots or something?  But I reported a guy last week who was on 24 hours a day from the time I reported him until 3 days later when he wasn't logged in any more and I haven't seen that character log in since then.

/shrug

Seems to me that they are doing something, even if it's just my imagination.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

I thought this report system works something like this:

After a certain amount of people reported a bot, the dropchances of items and money gain is decreasing. Sooner or later nothing drops anymore for the bot.

There was also a command to check if youre reported, but I forgot it. If someone wants to know I can ask guildies.

It does make sense... it forces the botter to waste more and more ressources for the same gain until its not economical to continue botting and theyre forced to start again.

The couple of botters I reported, and I wrote down their names, stopped gaining levels after some time.

Hard to verify if its working though and definitly not very flashing. And looking at the stalls selling gold for real money, I would say its not working well -.-