Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Keyboards

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I need a good gaming keyboard.  With the exception of the G11/15/18 (etc) what are some good keyboards out now thta are good for gaming?

-------------------------

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

A game pad is usually good, something like the Belkin n52te.

I am partial to Saitek Keyboards.  Right now they are offering the Saitek Eclipse III and Saitek Cyborg that have several add-on buttons.  However, they are a bit bigger then previous Saitek models.  Personally, I prefer the smaller Saitek keyboards like the Eclipse because they fit my hand so well and don't take up much desk space.

As far as gaming hardware there are only a few companies.  Logitech, Saitek, Razor, and Steel Series.

• peenkpeenk Member Posts: 270

I usually buy the cheapest keyboards, although my friend has one of them Gs but I still don't want to spend like $70 on it.

In any case, I might have a chance for you to get some good info.

www.newegg.com HERE

Go to the site, choose keyboard (duh) and sort by "most reviews." ... And read up on some 5 star and 1 star reviews.  I've been using that site for at least 5-6 years and I keep coming back because the reviews are 99% accurate.

Hope this helps.

WTB Shadowbane 2

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

I picked up a Razer Tarantula for $20 when Circuit City went under and I love it.  If you can find anything made by Razer for cheap I'd go with that.  Also heard good things about Logitech, but I don't own one myself.

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

The logitech G(nome) series is the way to go.

Go Gnome or Go Home.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

I currently use a Fang for MMO's combined with a MX518 Logitech mouse and the Saitek X45 for special occasions. The only time I touch the keyboard is to text chat. I really need to update my FCS and mouse though.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

I have never used a good keyboard, just the ones that come with a PC. Im looking for a bad ass one for $60-80 that has backlit keys and a extra thing on the left side w/ movement and hotkeys.

Any suggestions?

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by Swoogie

I have never used a good keyboard, just the ones that come with a PC. Im looking for a bad ass one for $60-80 that has backlit keys and a extra thing on the left side w/ movement and hotkeys.
    Any suggestions?

That is the Z boards merc stealth with 3 backlit options. I use it and have had few problems. It doesn't have as many keybinds as the n52 standalone, but it has plenty to get the job done. Follow the like to newegg above from another post to find it.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54

I like the Logitech G15 both the older(mine broke after 4 years of daily use) and newer version. One thing to keep in mind is the software that you use to program it.

Logitech's software is second to none. I also use the G9 mouse which is the best mouse I ever owned.

• Padre-AdamoPadre-Adamo Member Posts: 61

I love the Zboard stuff personally. I have the Zboard fang and Merc. I'm looking forward to picking up the new Merc Stealth. Zboard is the best route for your money. They are very very durable. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Originally posted by soap46

I picked up a Razer Tarantula for $20 when Circuit City went under and I love it.  If you can find anything made by Razer for cheap I'd go with that.  Also heard good things about Logitech, but I don't own one myself.

lol I also took advantage of Circuit City going under.  I bought $50 Photo paper for $20, as well as somethings that were hyped pretty well but sucked.

Also ZBoard no longer exists.  The company changed its name to Steelseries.

Thanks for the advice, Ill be looking into some of the brands/keyboards you all mentioned.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I have a Saitek Eclipse I. It was like $30.

I just wanted a keyboard that lit up. The "gaming" keyboards are overrated. You don't need a gaming keyboard..... gaming mouse yeah... but not a keyboard. So long that your keyboard isn't crap and is responsive, that is.

Originally posted by TheHatter

I just wanted a keyboard that lit up. The "gaming" keyboards are overrated. You don't need a gaming keyboard..... gaming mouse yeah... but not a keyboard. So long that your keyboard isn't crap and is responsive, that is.

Nice Avatar and Sig. Did you make those yourself? They are pretty damn tight.

Anyways, Whats the benefit of a gaming mouse?

• fennec12fennec12 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Gaming mouse?? Maybe for FPS's, but for (most) MMO's mouse have no meaning. MMO's don't requery presision pointing, but they do requery quick tabbing on the keyboard. Where a good keyboard come's in. I hardly uses a mouse when in combat in a MMO.

[ontopic]

Personaly I went with the G15 (old model). Not because of the macro keys, but because of the feel. It just feel great and very durable. Had it for many years now and I wouldn't change it for anything. The keys, feel, look. Everything just feel right for me.

I would advise trying the different keyboards before you buy one. Not that it will help you all that much when you try it for 2 min in the shop. It takes many hours to realy get the feel og the board, but you will eliminate the ones that definitely don't fit you.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Swoogie

Nice Avatar and Sig. Did you make those yourself? They are pretty damn tight.

Anyways, Whats the benefit of a gaming mouse?

Yes and TY. :)

Originally posted by fennec12

Gaming mouse?? Maybe for FPS's, but for (most) MMO's mouse have no meaning. MMO's don't requery presision pointing, but they do requery quick tabbing on the keyboard. Where a good keyboard come's in. I hardly uses a mouse when in combat in a MMO.

Yeah, I play alot of FPSs. A gaming mouse does come in handy if you're a clicker. Either way, I'd perfer a Razer Naga over a gaming keyboard any day. It's hard for me to multitask 3 devices, rather than just 2. Because, you're still going to have to click in an MMO and the other side of the keyboard might as well be another device completely.

Usually, I bound my Q, E, R, 2, & 3 to my most used spells/skills in MMOs, but other than that I am completely clicking.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Love my razer lycosa back lit with 3 lighting options and the keys are smooth as butter

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true