Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this be the game the puts RP back in MMO's

Hey everyone new to the site and decided to post a little poll and see what everyone thinks will this be the game that puts RP back in MMO's

What do I think I personally think that will be the game that does it. They have said that they want it to be about telling a good story and that characters with interact with varies NPC in the game via voice acting and that choices will matter. Personally I think it is about time considering all the failed games of late and not Knocking those who like Wow but I really want something that tells a story and enhances the game for me they have become so boring as of late IMO.

Anyway I made a poll humor me and vote  and elaborate what you think  if you would like to

*Edit* sorry about calling it KotOR in the poll it should be SWOR sorry :-) well it could be looked upon as a compliment right lol

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I hope so, but I also hope they don't leave the Massive Multiplayer out.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

I had to vote NO because it isn't going to bring it back. But it'd be nice if there was a "No, let it stay dead." and a "No, be nice if someone would though."

I like RP. Do I always do it? No. But it can be lots of fun. I just don't see how a single player game with a shared chat room and "ZOMG! NUB!11! wtfbbqsauceFTW!glowbatDIEDIEDIE!!" is going to promote role playing.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I don't think everyone will suddenly start acting "in character", but I do think this game will bring a story that will be genuinely interesting and immersive.

As a consequence, the amount of people who RP might increase.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

All BioWare can do is SUPPORT role players with their game design.

Allow plenty of quick emotes, allow charcters to interact with their surroundings [sitting down, acting like they're repairing something while crafting whatever little things], allow casual/social events such as playing mini-games together, gambling, watching NPC races/duels and maybe allow players to place bets on said events... bets wouldn't be placed on player races/duels because it would be too easy to fix the games...

Also allow things like the OUTFIT system and post character creation customization options....

The rest of it however, is up to the community.  Thankfully it seems so far at least that TOR has a very healthy RP community.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

This game will definately appeal to the RP crowd, just like LoTRO does.

Dont forget that, just like Dragon Age for example, this game will be full of conversations, talk, NPC interaction and such.

It will be a pure story driven RP game, with a full potential to be played Solo as well as in Group and this is what everyone should expect.

This will be in time a bit of a "niche" game, i woudnt expect a community much bigger than the one LoTRO has.

And this game IS NOT definately one that will appeal to the "raid and get epic gear" crowd, because it wont be that type of game.

Once again, im expecting a LoTRO type of "follow the story up till the end and wait for the next content patch with more story" kind of game.

Gladly, and im extremely happy with this idea, based on every Bioware game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Finally a chance to get an answer to a question that I have always had. As a non rp'r I often wonder what it is those who do expect from a MMO to help further their endeavors? I understand emotes and the like which just about any MMO has.However, I remember when they added levels and removed needed buffs from SWG so many cried they could no longer RP. That's where this question stems from if you were wondering. Maybe there's something I am missing but how exactly does that effect roleplay in any manner? Isn't roleplay all about using your imagination in the end?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by Malickie

Finally a chance to get an answer to a question that I have always had. As a non rp'r I often wonder what it is those who do expect from a MMO to help further their endeavors? I understand emotes and the like which just about any MMO has.However, I remember when they added levels and removed needed buffs from SWG so many cried they could no longer RP. That's where this question stems from if you were wondering. Maybe there's something I am missing but how exactly does that effect roleplay in any manner? Isn't roleplay all about using your imagination in the end?

like them or not, swg had such a great community because it had many RP - some more devoted than others, or, if you like, in varying degrees.

its not as easy to develop such a rich community in purely combat games which offer little tools to interact between players beyond that of killing each other off.

having said that, the reason there were many RPs in swg is because the game had the tools or mechanics to stimulate this kind of play. how? by having professions interdependant on each other, amongst other features. depending on others to learn languages, to get healed up, learn skills, purchase items as well as all kinds of services encourages people to use even the most elemental type of roleplaying tools such as those emotes you mention. did you ever /bow to a doctor after getting buffed? thats kinda like RP as well. Other "features" such as the effects of medical centers, cantinas, etc, also forster player interaction and the opportunity to get into character; which contrasts with the lack of opportunity of RP in a battlefield where you are simply blasting off oponents... and battlefields is the only thing most new mmos offer.

to specifically answer your question - yes, RP is about the imagination in the end but you need the toys to stimulate that imagination. good SANDBOX games like pre-cu had such toys.

THEMEPARK games like swtor will likely help people to "get into character" very much as other single RP games have by selling their story through quests and other immersion features they might use; however, it might not extend beyond the conversation you are having with the NPC for most people.

as far as levels are concerned well maybe not a big deal but what levels do is reduce the uniqueness of your character. i suspect having people with the ability to acquire a unique template with sought-after skills (say xx44 scout, master smuggler, x4x4medic) provides for a richer RP envionment than being surrounded by hundreds of class-restricted, say, jedi, which offer the exact same thing as your jedi in a combat situation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Troneas

Originally posted by Malickie

like them or not, swg had such a great community because it had many RP - some more devoted than others, or, if you like, in varying degrees.

its not as easy to develop such a rich community in purely combat games which offer little tools to interact between players beyond that of killing each other off.

having said that, the reason there were many RPs in swg is because the game had the tools or mechanics to stimulate this kind of play. how? by having professions interdependant on each other, amongst other features. depending on others to learn languages, to get healed up, learn skills, purchase items as well as all kinds of services encourages people to use even the most elemental type of roleplaying tools such as those emotes you mention. did you ever /bow to a doctor after getting buffed? thats kinda like RP as well. Other "features" such as the effects of medical centers, cantinas, etc, also forster player interaction and the opportunity to get into character; which contrasts with the lack of opportunity of RP in a battlefield where you are simply blasting off oponents... and battlefields is the only thing most new mmos offer.

to specifically answer your question - yes, RP is about the imagination in the end but you need the toys to stimulate that imagination. good SANDBOX games like pre-cu had such toys.

THEMEPARK games like swtor will likely help people to "get into character" very much as other single RP games have by selling their story through quests and other immersion features they might use; however, it might not extend beyond the conversation you are having with the NPC for most people.

as far as levels are concerned well maybe not a big deal but what levels do is reduce the uniqueness of your character. i suspect having people with the ability to acquire a unique template with sought-after skills (say xx44 scout, master smuggler, x4x4medic) provides for a richer RP envionment than being surrounded by hundreds of class-restricted, say, jedi, which offer the exact same thing as your jedi in a combat situation.

Thanks, and just for the record I do not have a problem with Rping or those who do it. I just wondered what it is that they like to see in a game and how they use features to their advantage.

You elaborated nicely on that in your reply, I am no longer confused!

Though I see why most of them stick to games like NWN for the pws, where its easy to implement and enforce mechanics like that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by whpsh
    I had to vote NO because it isn't going to bring it back. But it'd be nice if there was a "No, let it stay dead." and a "No, be nice if someone would though."
    I like RP. Do I always do it? No. But it can be lots of fun. I just don't see how a single player game with a shared chat room and "ZOMG! NUB!11! wtfbbqsauceFTW!glowbatDIEDIEDIE!!" is going to promote role playing.

What you essentially described was a MUD, and those had far stronger RP than any MMO I've ever seen.

So basically you blew apart your argument. Good shot kid, that was one in a million!

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

As much as any game could possibly do it, this will be the game.  I've never really done much RP in MMO's, though I've done countless hours in pen and paper over the years.  Star Wars could actually do it for me though...

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

While I agree with the last part you said, it's easy to make a separate RP chat window. And hopefully this doesn't turn into WoW, where a bunch of kids (including some that are in their 20s) come into the RP realms and start their dumb ruckus. I don't see it happening, because I'm hoping/praying that I never have to hear or read from those kids again.

Honestly, any personal feelings aside and just knowing from their record, if anyone's going to bring RP back to MMORPG, it's BioWare, fused with LucasArts. And the only thing keeping them from doing so are those kids. My friends and I (some of them have only started playing since the beginning of WoW) are planning on RPing in this game, which will be the first time for some, but for the rest of us, it was something we've been looking forward to for over 8 years.

THE Rooster Nash

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by RoosterNash

While I agree with the last part you said, it's easy to make a separate RP chat window. And hopefully this doesn't turn into WoW, where a bunch of kids (including some that are in their 20s) come into the RP realms and start their dumb ruckus. I don't see it happening, because I'm hoping/praying that I never have to hear or read from those kids again.

Honestly, any personal feelings aside and just knowing from their record, if anyone's going to bring RP back to MMORPG, it's BioWare, fused with LucasArts. And the only thing keeping them from doing so are those kids. My friends and I (some of them have only started playing since the beginning of WoW) are planning on RPing in this game, which will be the first time for some, but for the rest of us, it was something we've been looking forward to for over 8 years.

Are there any RP guilds popping up yet?

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

No.

RP is one thing that is always put in a game by players. Useless UI and buttons don't make RP. Even stupid retarded dance emotes and sit animations don't make RP.

RP is the one thing players always control. It's the lack of motivation and care on the players end why no one wants to RP. Pure n' simple. Only a moron thinks developers control RP. This game will either be WoW with Lightsabers or Guildwars with Lightsabers. Want RP then RP. Don't need useless features. Just an imagination and getting into playing. Simple as that.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by RoosterNash

A chat window is a novel idea, but just like any global channel, it will quickly be crushed by farmers and spammers. In order to have RP, you really need to have no global channels and conduct all communication through /t, /s, /g, /p

And I probably should've been much more specific. Instead of describing what is likely going to be the majority of conversations conducted while outside the storyline and during the end game, I should've pointed to the fact that there currently doesn't seem to be anything generating player to player interaction. In short, it doesn't appear like there is anything another player can offer that I can't create better, cheaper, and faster myself (unless they go with limited character slots ... then maybe).

The fine line is creating a desirability to interact with others but hopefully not making it a requirement. The pre-NGE buff and crafting system in SWG provided the first but failed the second. And I can certainly recognize that not everybody in the universe really wants to hang out in the cantina while they buff. But some do. And some want to hang out and do the buffing. And TOR just feels like they are taking care of the combat players and not the social players. Hard to have RP without social players, thus the "glowbatDIEDIEDIE!" referrance.

A chat window is a novel idea, but just like any global channel, it will quickly be crushed by farmers and spammers. In order to have RP, you really need to have no global channels and conduct all communication through /t, /s, /g, /p
    And I probably should've been much more specific. Instead of describing what is likely going to be the majority of conversations conducted while outside the storyline and during the end game, I should've pointed to the fact that there currently doesn't seem to be anything generating player to player interaction. In short, it doesn't appear like there is anything another player can offer that I can't create better, cheaper, and faster myself (unless they go with limited character slots ... then maybe).
    The fine line is creating a desirability to interact with others but hopefully not making it a requirement. The pre-NGE buff and crafting system in SWG provided the first but failed the second. And I can certainly recognize that not everybody in the universe really wants to hang out in the cantina while they buff. But some do. And some want to hang out and do the buffing. And TOR just feels like they are taking care of the combat players and not the social players. Hard to have RP without social players, thus the "glowbatDIEDIEDIE!" referrance.

First: We're not sure what kind of payment model they're going to implement to just assume that gold farmers are going to be a relevant issue, though I understand your argument. There's a specific model that I've found intriguing that is proven to work in the East called Dual Currencies (DC for short). Ravenrage can explain more regarding this as it's not really my battle, though I have researched and found it to have considerable potential here in the West. Be warned, though. There is a LOT to read about DC vs MT vs Subs by him alone, but he gives thorough, referrable information. Yet it's only one possibility, and rather unlikely for BioWare's first time out.

On your second paragraph, I find that you kind of trail off without providing enough information. In regards to player-player interaction, they have said that player interaction is definitely there. It's just a component they haven't really brought to the table. For quite possibly one of two reasons: 

1. they're not done tweaking and/or finishing a viable preview;
    2. or it's further down on the agenda.

Either way, at this time, it would be absurd - no offense - to assume that they aren't going to provide us with a good player-player interface. They haven't talked much about crafting yet. Right now, they're about to start getting into the combat system (so-to-speak) of the game, according to Jake Neri of LucasArts. So, it IS safe to assume that they are taking their presentation of the developmental stages of the game in phases. I would also like to point out that the Imperial Agent is the self-proclaimed BEST!!!111!!!

Your final thoughts don't really make sense to me. I get your point, though, I think. But due to the crypticism of your complaint, I'm basically grasping at straws. I only played SWG for a NY minute after it's debut (wasn't up for paying for a beta release), so I really hate when the only comparable reference people make IS SWG. Have you played any other MMOGs? I'm not trying to sound rude here, but I need better references. Whether the devs actually ONLY taking care of the combat players remains to be seen. But honestly, I have to ask, "Why play a game if all you're going to do is stand around all the time in a cantina?" Sure, I get that some people just prefer to live in a virtual world because they don't want to face the real one (I can be the same way at times), but even at that, my only reason for standing in a city is to provide materials for others. That's it. Otherwise, I'm doing something constructive; whether it be killing, stealing, riding, grinding, raiding, farming, or charming. I'd rather not stand in the same area for hours on end, being a social butterfly, when I can be killing for hours on end, being a...

...BRUTE-R-FLY!!!

[cue the awesome metal montage!]

THE Rooster Nash

• freigeistfreigeist Member Posts: 6

A great RP game would be awesome but then again i doubt that they will have sucess with the great masses if the only focus on that. Roleplayers are a rare breed our days and to keep such a game running you need casual gamers more than anything else.

Maybe they will mange to implement systems all kinds of players can enjoy... but with statments like this we should wait until we can take a look at the game ourself...

Originally posted by madeux

Are there any RP guilds popping up yet?

Impervium has a RP Sith-based guild that will be looking for members indefinitely. If you're looking to join the Sith, and are looking to RP, then we have members who want to do the same.

The entire Impervium Dynasty comprises of 3 different guilds: Impervium (the RP guild), ITC (primarily for noobs), and Impervium Armada (for those who came to rock! and PVP).

THE Rooster Nash

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Nope.

RP is in in the hands of the players.  If you want to RP in wow, just go ahead and do it.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Well I just started playing Dragon Age (literally just started it) and had my first npc conversation in the dwarf city. I found it quite fascinating actually as there was no obvious good or bad route to take and I could immediately see how my decisions will have an impact on what happens later. It actually made me think quite carefully which is something I havent had to do in a computer game for a long time. It also really put me in the mindset of playing as a dwarf bound by the stubborn and very harsh rules of honour and pride that they all live by in that game.

So it made me wonder what the new Star Wars game might be like. If the npc interactions are anything like what I have witnessed in Dragon Age then I think I may very well quite enjoy the game. However I'm not really sure if the game will enhance roleplaying any more than any other mmo. To be honest I dont really care as I dont play online games to roleplay with people......at least not the kind of lame roleplaying that happens in mmos anyway. From experience I have found trying to do so to be a complete waste of time......especially in a game that already has a story written into it. It always struck me as completely pointless trying to make up a pretend story that can never actually happen when you are playing a game which IS an interactive story which CAN happen. In SWTOR (and other mmos for that matter) the roleplaying takes place between me (the player) and the npcs. The other players are not characters integral to the story. If anything most of them will simply be a nuisance that only serve to ruin immersion as they fill the chat channel with idiotic nonsense. "Hey dude wanna group with me? What level are you? I've got another bounty hunter alt. Shall I get him and we can do this quest together?". Actually I'm casting what most players type in a positive light there as most of the stuff I see in chat channels is a lot more brainless than that. So yeah....ermm.....most people in mmos suck which is why I ignore most of them.

So why do I even play mmos? Well after playing Dragon Age I cant think of many good reasons actually. Most mmos are solo friendly so I dont need other people and yet they are fairly low quality games that charge me money every month to play each one. I suppose I am drawn to the feeling of being part of an online world and in most of them I can compete with other players if I choose to. Occasionly I do also randomly come across a player who says something amusing or in character and I might end up grouping with them for a while......although most of the time they are at different stages in the rigid mmo story so our paths simply dont coincide......and having to stop and compare quests with each other just ruins the experience for me anyway.

So will SWTOR bring roleplaying back to mmos? I dont know and I dont really care. I will be too busy "roleplaying" with the npcs. The only kind of mmo I would ever be interested in trying to roleplay with other people in would be a true sandbox game where I could back up my roleplaying with my actions and do things that change and shape the game world. There arent any good games of that type that I particularly want to play and all the other mmos are extremely shitty & limited story games with optional co-op mode attached. SWTOR at least looks like it will be able to provide a compelling story that I can influence (unlike all the other mmos) and yet I will also have the option of playing with others if I feel like it. Roleplaying with npcs is pretty much the only kind of roleplaying I look for in a computer game though.......although if the games story encourages people to talk in character then thats certainly not a bad thing. I leave roleplaying to actual roleplaying games though.......although I havent played one of those for ages.