Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strong(est) solo class?

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I am a soloer. So, what class do you consider the strongest to solo with?

Your views for some pros & cons of a strong solo class will be most appreciated!

I am considering resubbing, and what I got atm is a L30 Minstrel, which have been quite nicely & fast to solo with. My other character is a L30 Hunter, but for some reason I find that class utterly boring due to slow combat animations. I know L30 is low level, and I have no ideas what awaits me later. So I think its better to ask about this now, rather than find out later that I am playing an all to weak solo class.

In advance: Thanks.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

i didnt have to hard of a time soloing with my champion. i did most of the mines of moria expansion and lothlorien solo. good damage and you have some self heals.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Definitely the Rune Keeper -- As much DPS as the best supposed DPS classes with the added bonus of being a fantastic healer.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by chrisel

I am a soloer. So, what class do you consider the strongest to solo with?
    Your views for some pros & cons of a strong solo class will be most appreciated!
    I am considering resubbing, and what I got atm is a L30 Minstrel, which have been quite nicely & fast to solo with. My other character is a L30 Hunter, but for some reason I find that class utterly boring due to slow combat animations. I know L30 is low level, and I have no ideas what awaits me later. So I think its better to ask about this now, rather than find out later that I am playing an all to weak solo class.
    In advance: Thanks.

If played correctly, any character can be easy to solo. One of the easiest for me to solo though was the Lore Master. You have options with your pet as a tank and caster or as a melee flank solo player. You have lots of cc and a heal for your pet. You also have an emergency self heal and two if you are a human. You are also good in groups with your heal and power sharing skills.

The captain with thier pet can also play well solo. I only have a level 32 captain, so I don't know at higher levels. A burg is also a good solo character with the hide and CC and good DPS. Bottom line, just play what fits your play style the best and you will be able to solo well IMHO.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I haven't played in a while but from my experience playing a champion and runekeeper the RK is the superior soloer. Champion isn't bad by any means but I recall playing the Rune Kepper right after the champion and it was easy mode. Plus I've found the Rune Keeper more fast paced than any other class I've found.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

So continuing my Minstrel would'nt be a bad choice? I like being healer beside, well, at least USED to like it in my first MMO years...

Originally posted by chrisel

So continuing my Minstrel would'nt be a bad choice? I like being healer beside, well, at least USED to like it in my first MMO years...

Well, as the poster above said, any class can solo in LoTRO. Minstrel isn't a bad choice, no. But if you're asking for the strongest, my vote goes to the Rune Keeper who, like I said, matches DPS and has the second best healing capabilities in the game.

Originally posted by donjuanamigo

i didnt have to hard of a time soloing with my champion. i did most of the mines of moria expansion and lothlorien solo. good damage and you have some self heals.

THIS! Very interesting. I am an altoholic, so I think this could be some very interesting to play. How good are these self heals, and how can the be cast? What would be a good race? I prefer men though, and I hope it will be nice for this?

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

first, in my opinion, i think hunter has a nice combination of cc and dmg skills and yes u can do some solo once in a while, but he lacks of some healing skill (yeah..we cant heal and we dont have a pet...what a hunter...)

but THE solo class, for me, is Lore Masters. they have the bear to tank and they also have healing skills...

LOTRO player

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Cerion 
    Well, as the poster above said, any class can solo in LoTRO. Minstrel isn't a bad choice, no. But if you're asking for the strongest, my vote goes to the Rune Keeper who, like I said, matches DPS and has the second best healing capabilities in the game.

I agree.

I have played almost every class to around 20 and after doing so I decided to make my RK my main. Awesome damage and pretty good heals made it the perfect class for me as I intend to mostly solo play this game. We have light armor so that make us a little squishy but I find that I can easily handle 2 mobs my level or a little higher and though it can be tough I can survive 3 mobs at once most times.

I have been in groups where I was the primary healer and have had people tell me that I did a better job than their minstrel friends. The heals are HoT's so I personally don't beleive that I am a more effective healer than a mini, but if i keep rotating hots I find that I don't have too much of a problem keeping people alive in instances.

It's a fun class to play that's not too overly complicated and one that I will always recommend to people who intend to mostly solo.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

The warden is built for solo. Ranged/melee with ports speed boosts and heavy armor.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Champion is pretty easy solo because of all the tools.  That said my guardian and burglar had it easy too.  Burglar of course has the advantage of selective content ;)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I'm surprised I haven't seen Guardian.

I've soloed, for the most part, to 60 on my guardian and enjoyed it very much. A lot of survivability, with potions you can really take on quite a bit, and also wanted in groups if you want to group.

But as others have said, any class can solo.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth
    The warden is built for solo. Ranged/melee with ports speed boosts and heavy armor.

Warden doesn't have Heavy Armor (it's Medium).

However you are still correct (and sadly the only one who is correct in this thread). The warden IS the STRONGEST solo class. It's not the FASTEST, but it can solo Carn Dun. No other class can make that claim.

Shame I hate wardens though...

• lat00uklat00uk Member Posts: 28

I would have to agree with most ppl in my experience the RK is an awesome class for solo play, my main is a 60 elf minstrel and I love to play him with warspeech enabled as the DPS is pretty good, but still doesnt match to a RK.

I havent ever played any of the melee classes as I prefer healer/support/ranged DPS type clasees.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

However you are still correct (and sadly the only one who is correct in this thread). The warden IS the STRONGEST solo class. It's not the FASTEST, but it can solo Carn Dun. No other class can make that claim.

LOL who made you arbiter of who is correct and who is not?  We are all offering opinions -- there is no factually, objectively correct answer.  However, if most people have the opinion that, say, RK is the strongest, then that tends to tell the reader something. 

Now I like MrBloodworth, so I'm not going to drag him/her into this.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I have been playing since open beta and have tried most of the classes.  I have found that my rune-keeper cut through the pve content like a hot knife through butter.  Rune-keeper = nukemaster general, with healing ability.  You gotta love that.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

LOL who made you arbiter of who is correct and who is not?  We are all offering opinions -- there is no factually, objectively correct answer.  However, if most people have the opinion that, say, RK is the strongest, then that tends to tell the reader something. 

So then it is your contention that other classes besides the Warden can solo CD? By all rights you are welcome to proffer an opinion, just don't take it personally if someone proffers the answer instead.

The OPs question was clear, what is the STRONGEST soloer, not the fastest, the funnest, the one that looks best in drag. The STRONGEST, and that's the Warden by and far. It can solo content that would destroy any other class. It's really that simple. No need to get all riled up because your own personal class isn't the best at one small facet of a video game.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I would say the Warden or Captain. I speak from experience with the captain. I never had much trouble leveling her to 50. I soloed a lot of the time too.

Warden I never played, but from what I remember reading it was a great soloing class. Some in this thread seem to agree. Warden is a bit more challenging to play since you need to remember a lot of gambits (keypress sequences), but those who play them usually love them.

For example, here's a Warden gambit chart.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

So then it is your contention that other classes besides the Warden can solo CD? By all rights you are welcome to proffer an opinion, just don't take it personally if someone proffers the answer instead.

The OPs question was clear, what is the STRONGEST soloer, not the fastest, the funnest, the one that looks best in drag. The STRONGEST, and that's the Warden by and far. It can solo content that would destroy any other class. It's really that simple. No need to get all riled up because your own personal class isn't the best at one small facet of a video game.

Yeah...uhm....it's clear you need to win the e-peen contest.  lol. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in our opinions.  RK isn't my personal class (hunter is), but thanks for the concern.

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

Yeah...uhm....it's clear you need to win the e-peen contest.  lol. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in our opinions.  RK isn't my personal class (hunter is), but thanks for the concern.

that seriously isn't a e-peen contest man. the warden is by far the best solo class in the game. as far as i know, the warden is the only class that has soloed raid bosses.... bogbereth, though no longer a true 24 man raid, has been soloed by a warden.... i think that makes it pretty straight forward, as to what the best solo class is. ranged, melee, self heals, self buffs, passive bonus damage to most types of weapons. i think the only thing they are missing is good AoE.

though i greatly prefer my champion...

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I dont think the auguring was warranted here guys, just spout your opinion and be done. I was wrong about the armor class though.

Anyway, I just see the collection of ability's of the warden to be solo supportive than most other classes, YMMV.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• lordainlordain Member Posts: 14

Pre book 7 would deffinatly be the captain, with damage comparable to the hunter, and resillence comparable to the guardian. but post bk 7 I would have to still say the captain, its abit harder with alot less dps, but its still not bad if you have a good weapon. They are still comparable to the guardian in livability, and are still equal to or stronger then the champ in single target dps. With all the buff's and last resort skills, they can survive almost any 1 on 1 fight against mobs inside the game. 

Last Stand (your hp will not go below 1hp for some 30 seconds)

In Defense of Middle Earth (+50 to most attributes)

Banner of Hope/Victory/War (even more added buffs, hope gives HP/Vit, Victory gives Power/Will, War gives dmg%/str/dex)

Make Haste (25% in combat runspeed for 60s)

Marks (debuffs the mob you attack with either more agg/dot, hp drain, extra damage %)

For man cpt's:

Man Heal (massive instant heal) 

I know theres alot more, but unable to recall them all right off hand. They are the most resilent classes in solo play I have found.

LM's and RK's are also really good solo'ers. LM's have just TONs of crowd control options, and RK's have several crowd control options as well. RK's dps is much higher then most LM's, but are also alot squishier. They also dont have induction time's on there spells like the LM does.

Minstrel's if played right can also solo most everything, but is very difficult to do, will take several hours of dieing before you can figure out a good solo strat for a mini. But they can self heal really good, and do tons of dps in short bursts every 10-30s. but when it comes to solo'ing multiple mobs, they will drop fast even with someone that is a veteran minstrel.

Burgs have TON's of tactic's that make solo'ing fun and easy to do, with alot of crowd control, and really good dps, they are a force to be reconned with while alone, or in a team. Most people will never think of burg when they hear solo'er, most people think of pure in your face ground and pound classes when they think solo... but burgs are a hidden gem, there best secrets are all done while in stealth, with self FM's, Backstab attacks, and very good dodge/evade they can hit anyone or anything with a force of a ten ton hammer.

When you are deciding on what class you want to start out with, for solo'ing, you have to consider your play style, each class is capable of solo'ing just fine, if played right, and that usually depends on what your style is. Are you a ground and pound type who enjoy's tanking, and doing pure meelee damage, and taking the damage for long periods of time? or are you someone who wants to drop a mob from affar long before it can get to you? or do you enjoy tactics, and skill, and heavy challenges during solo play?

In your face classes:

Champion, Guardian, Captain, Warden

Ranged solo classes: 

Hunter, RK, LM, Mini

Tactical classes:

Burg, RK, LM, Mini

argh!!!

Many thanks Iordain for you post! Very nice info.

I seem helplessy lost in the LOTRO when it comes to leveling... My current hunter has used almost 5 days of /played time to get to level 32... Thats bad, even though this character is as old as the release of the game. I do have the "Undying" title though, from back when it was harder than now, but still, I really struggle getting my levels.

I think I am going to make a new thread about what each classes "hidden" secrets are; like if they get teleports, summoning, heals and so on, as their descritpion says little about this and the info isnt so easy to find.

Thanks all, for your replies, it is helping me getting on track. Though it will take some time...

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Ive started a few classes but my hunter and guardian are the only two ive really did a lot with. So while im not sure which class is best for solo play I can say in my case my guardian is easier to solo than my hunter. But like others have said LOTRO is pretty easy to solo in itself.

I was very hyped about the Warden class after reading much encouringing stuff here. So now I got one at level 15. And the downer started. I feel more like I am boring mobs to death than rather killing them, for its quite sure I aint no fast-killer... Maybe it is just me? :(