Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye Ao

2»

Comments

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by solusar66

Originally posted by dkzero

I agree that the game is pretty much a ghost town.  Man how I miss the days back in ...hmmm.....2002-2003 when you could find a full group in about 5 minutes.   It's sad to see AO slowly dying.  It's still my favorite mmo of all time.  Hopefull if they ever upgrade the graphics like they said they would,  people will come back.

It's really not that bad :) during Clans tower offensive this summer, a lot of Orgs have gotten people back. Many Orgs are again active raiding, not only my Org Spartans :)

Dude, seriously, you're reaching for rationalization but you miles away.  I have played AO since 2003 till 2005, then came back a year later, played it for about a year and tried coming back this early summer, where I ended up quitting an hour after logging in.  AO was my first MMO and I used to be addicted to it, but this game's ancient graphics client & ghetto servers are just unacceptable.  Bundle that with a very small population & myriad of pointless expansions and that is why I quit within an hour.

Anarchy Online is, in my opinion, one of the best MMOs ever made and still has some of the best depth, class design, crafting systems & combat.  However, the poster with whom you are trying to argue is correct.  Funcom really screwed up with AO.  The highly problematic launch is understandable but the way they managed to kill off this game is just sad.  The bottom line is that this is a much better game than AoC and could be a great success again with a revamp (similiar to what EvE did).  Yet instead, Funcom does treat it as a red-headed stepchild.  Once they shifted focus on AoC, which was a dumb move, AO lost its hope.

If you really played back in AO's glory days, you know that now this game is just a faint shadow of its old self.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• BlackWizardsBlackWizards Member Posts: 173

They need to just make AO2, and not add any fucked up Alien armor or shadowlands like grindfests. I would buy the game day 1, even though I don't trust FC very much any more. Those of us that played way back before SL know how great of an mmo AO used to be. If they did it right, they could make a very good game.

But the chances of this happening are next to none. So....

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Hydroblunt

Originally posted by solusar66

Originally posted by dkzero

I agree that the game is pretty much a ghost town.  Man how I miss the days back in ...hmmm.....2002-2003 when you could find a full group in about 5 minutes.   It's sad to see AO slowly dying.  It's still my favorite mmo of all time.  Hopefull if they ever upgrade the graphics like they said they would,  people will come back.

It's really not that bad :) during Clans tower offensive this summer, a lot of Orgs have gotten people back. Many Orgs are again active raiding, not only my Org Spartans :)

Dude, seriously, you're reaching for rationalization but you miles away.  I have played AO since 2003 till 2005, then came back a year later, played it for about a year and tried coming back this early summer, where I ended up quitting an hour after logging in.  AO was my first MMO and I used to be addicted to it, but this game's ancient graphics client & ghetto servers are just unacceptable.  Bundle that with a very small population & myriad of pointless expansions and that is why I quit within an hour.

Anarchy Online is, in my opinion, one of the best MMOs ever made and still has some of the best depth, class design, crafting systems & combat.  However, the poster with whom you are trying to argue is correct.  Funcom really screwed up with AO.  The highly problematic launch is understandable but the way they managed to kill off this game is just sad.  The bottom line is that this is a much better game than AoC and could be a great success again with a revamp (similiar to what EvE did).  Yet instead, Funcom does treat it as a red-headed stepchild.  Once they shifted focus on AoC, which was a dumb move, AO lost its hope.

If you really played back in AO's glory days, you know that now this game is just a faint shadow of its old self.

I never understood why developers do that.

They create something new and interesting. Even with its warts and such, the players love the game for what it is and enthusiastically play it and recommend it to friends, etc. 

Then... once the developer realizes they have something good - based on the game they created and released - they proceed to alter it in ways that fundamentally change the game people came to like in the first place. As a result in some cases, people get frustrated and leave... Then instead of fixing what they broke, the developer instead goes into spin mode talking about how much people love the changes, while cancellations are happening left and right.

FC did this to AO with Shadowlands... Mythic did it to DAoC with ToA... SOE to SWG with the NGE/CU... I know there are others I'm forgetting at the moment... but it really makes you wonder.

Instead of looking for ways to expand the game in ways that are consistent with what the players are enjoying, they change it.

Could never understand that.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops