Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Borderlands is Awesome Thread

InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Being playing it for 4 days now.

Best game of the year, most fun and entertaining and addictive and and...

There is a Psycho dude that screams "Time to Play! Time to Play!" while rushing you with a pinless grenade, how awesome is that?!

First Person Shooter + Procedurally generated weapons (millions of different weapons stats and atleast a hundred weapons that actually feel different gameplay wise)

You dont even have to have valid cd-key to play online, you can make an account instantly and joy the fun!

Random generated Loot with millions of possibilities in a FPS game is mindblowing. You can always get something better, cooler, try different things. You can duel people at any time. You can play on an arena! You can race people and blow them up with the cars! Lots of bosses!

Where else can you find a Marines, Zerg, Protoss and Starship Troopers bug like race fighting each other in a First Person Shooter?

It will have Downloadable Content. People will mod it.

My game feels and play like an hybrid of unreleased Starcraft Ghost (Siren Class) with Crysis/Section 8.

I even added a third person camera to my game.

You can repeat stuff over and over, alone or with friends. Its a bit like Far Cry 2, but you always get  new random loot, so its not as pointless.

The most epic and hilarious easter eggs in a while.

This blow Hellgate London Marksman gameplay by a long stretch, I cant even start to describe. Hellgate London shooter part sucked, in Borderlands its up to par to any top first person shooter game out there but with the addiction of persistant vertical character progression instead of stupid "unlocks a silencer, unlocks a scope" fuck balance design decisions limiting power of characters making everyone "balanced". In Borderlands the more you play the better stuff you find, thats the X factor of it that separate it from those "competitive first person shooters". In Borderlands my skill counts too, but my equipment gives me reason to play it more than the thirty minutes I spend on other FPSs.

And dont get me started on Huxley instanced gameplay and linear drop tabbles. Borderlands blows that fish out of the water.

If you had the opportunity to play Borderlands, say so in this thread!

Edit: here is a screenshot of me testing some of the 400 weapons I looted after a while, I dropped all of them to the ground and started testing one by one, and I tell you, each one is different, either reload, refire rate, sound, scope, no scope, magazine, colors, textures, some bullets fire straight, some fire in spiral ways, others are homing, some uses ammo, others dont, some regen ammo, others ricochet of walls, others explode, some fire incendiary bullets, others use toxic, others causes an eletric discharge, some fire one rocket, some fire cluster rockets, some are automatic, others fire in bursts, some weapons have blades and melee weapons attached for increased melee damage, etc... ITS RIDICULOUS, YOU NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8665/lotsofguns.jpg

Comments

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

well it's not really an mmo thought, but it was a good solid multiplayer title for a consol game. I found I liked the berserk over everyone else in the game.

• gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160

How were you able to carry 400 weapons? At the same time?! The maximum inventory space (after finding every Claptrap) is only 42 slots.

Must've been using a spawner program or some other mod. Anyways, it is an amazing game. I have been playing it on and off on the PC version. Have a level 15 Siren and and she's amazing so far. I would be higher level, but my computer has had trouble handling it. Overheats constantly about 45 min into each session.

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Kingdoms of Amular, Firefall

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Im playing the PC version everything maxed out and it runs smooth.

Well, the ClapTrap can get you up to 42 in the first playthrough and up to 45 in the second playthrough: randomly one of the 10 Claptraps in the second playthrough will revard you an extra inventory enhancer.

But what I did was go to the C:Documents and SettingsAdminMy DocumentsMy GamesBorderlandsWillowGameConfig

and open the WillowGame.ini search (Ctrl+F) for

[WillowGame.WillowInventoryManager]

InventorySlotMax_Misc=12

And changed the value from 12 to 999.

So mine looks like this:

[WillowGame.WillowInventoryManager]

InventorySlotMax_Misc=999

You can have up to 65000 or so inventory slots. In a game like this, the last thing I want is inventory limitation and having to stop killing and having fun to go back and forth to the vendors and be forced to sell stuff I would rather keep to release inventory space.

Changing that file can be undone at any time and its not considered a hack or anything since there is no master server or closed servers where your characters are hosted, so its more of a personal choice.

I have more fun this way because I can compare hundreds of weapons, evaluate and analise patterns of naming, suffix/preffix and hidden bonuses.

If that makes you feel better: you can roleplay that you are very rich (and you become at some point), therefore you should be able to own a place and in that place you should be able to store unlimited ammounts of items if you choose to do so...

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

T.T local game shop stil doesnt have it stock for PC.

anyway, aside from co-op, and duelling, does it have a deathmatch-like mode?

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

I just stared it today with friends. It's not so awesome imo. Just a decent game that is fun with friends indeed.

• gr0mengr0men Member Posts: 19

I agree with the OP.

Personally didn't have too many expectations. Thought it will just be another post-apocalyptic type repetetive FPS, but wow, am I glad that I was proven wrong!

Have a lvl 32 siren so far and intend to play through with every class. This is one of the rare games where I gladly give them my money.

To me, it is much more fun than the official game of the year with the same genre and a similar theme; Fallout 3.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

It's a very fun game, but as always "it could have been more if..."

I'm also a little disappointed that the main story is finished way before max level. However, i guess the game is just where and how Gearbox wanted it. We'll see some dlc soon (zombie island something), but for 10$ i don't expect too much.

Solid game though, if you have the comfort of some decent buddies to play with. Otherwise it's just a mindless mass-killing and "who's first looting" rush.

• stvtifastvtifa Member Posts: 27

Well if you want a FPS style MMO with no click targeting system. I suggest you take a look at TERA. Heres a small video of a priest hitting some small raid boss for fun http://www.pvpve.com/showthread.php?t=31

Theres other video there of other class. This is what darkfall (50 years in development) should have been. LOL

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Diablo 2 in FPS form.  Very fun, addicting game.  Much MUCH better in co-op.  Seriously, if you're playing on PC get a 4 player LAN game going, it's one giant, chaotic mess of loot and fun.

Don't come in expected a story driven game or an MMO.  Borderlands is non-stop action shooter.  Again, a lot like Diablo 2 where the action and loot were the only real attraction.

still waiting for an answer to my question. is there a PVP mode where you can show-off the business end of your best loot?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by haelikoth

still waiting for an answer to my question. is there a PVP mode where you can show-off the business end of your best loot?

Dueling and Arenas which you can do a 2v2 or a ffa.

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

2 of my friends and I bought this game - I'm glad someone put a thread out there about it. When you unlock the second playthrough the game really takes off! The ending is anti-climactic but, the meat of the game is so good. It reminds me of "The Matrix" movie - the movie was so good but, the end was a bit cheesy.

Overall I am loving this game - in the couple weeks that I've had it - my friends and I have logged so many hours...

The gameplay is just awesome - now if they could transition this to massive multi play - then I think we have a winner!

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

I've always been a huge fan of Trigun... and I could easily see someone making mods to go along with it. I'd love to see my toon using a ".45 Long Colt AGL Arms Factory"... oh yes. And as it's godly description below saying "The Humanoid Typhoon". (note: I did see something an eon back regarding a Trigun game, cell shaded sorta for ps2... but nothing more about it since)

After seeing the intro while hearing the song "Ain't no rest for the wicked" along with the slide guitar... the whole lost alien tech thing and mysterious story with side stories... it's just hella fun for me.

I'd also swear to God that Jerry Jewell (voice actor for Barry the Chopper/#66 in Full Metal Alchemist) is the voice for the Psychos with the axes... "RIP THE FLESH AND SALT THE WOUND!" That's a good thing though, it's very fitting if it is.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Ok after playing borderlands for a week now with my friends - they need more content. We did every side mission available - missed very little to extend the experience but, after the 2nd playthrough - it's pretty much beat.

I love the gameplay - the end is anti-climactic... very much like the matrix movie but, the meat of the game is very good.

I played beserker and soldier - enjoyed both very much - don't recommend playing with no soldier due to that team ammo regen mod...

Anyway I'm going to hold onto this game even though I'm fairly done with it - in hopes of new content soon...

The game is still very worth it - we probably put 60-80  hours of total play into it...

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

One thing about Borderlands is that we chew through its content non stop.

Its so good, but it ends. Awkward problem.

• bluelabelbluelabel Member Posts: 4

Is Borderlands much better on the PC rather than Xbox?

:/ I don't have PC that'll run Borderlands (or any good, graphics demanding game) properly, but I do have an Xbox 360.

My friend said the xbox won't be able to keep up with the frame rate, so it's best to go with PC.

I mean, is the frame rate that horrible on Xbox?

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

Borderlands have a very satisfying gameplay. The synergi between headshots and criticals is something which will be just as important for next gen RPG`s as talent trees or boss fights. Criticals is actually something you do your self - not a /random 100 - great!.

I personally have a few issues with the game though. The talent trees could have been a little deeper.  As much as Cel Shading is different and charming, i dont like it in a fps. A target far away is too "painted" and its hard to aim at heads. Melee combat in first person is very clunky. Op mentioned a added 3erd person view?

ok, finally got my copy and im having a blast going through this. the AI aint too tough, but wont let you just walk all over them. especially with the skags. even some of the best weapons ive found end up doing little damage on the annoying buggers till i realized they dont have armor at the rear. the weapon system is also pretty fun. i think ive replaced my armaments a dozen times already and im still under 20. so far the best gun ive found is a revolver that does 212 damage per round with shock. its for level 15 i think. down side is it only has a 2 round capacity.

ive tried some multiplayer, but it was a little laggy, and i got DCed often. will try again when i finish my first playthru.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by bluelabel
    Is Borderlands much better on the PC rather than Xbox?
    :/ I don't have PC that'll run Borderlands (or any good, graphics demanding game) properly, but I do have an Xbox 360.
    My friend said the xbox won't be able to keep up with the frame rate, so it's best to go with PC.
    I mean, is the frame rate that horrible on Xbox?

Performance wise yes but the game on the PC is basically a console port. A rushed one at that considering all the basic options they left out of the PC game. You are going to have to mess with the config files to fix the game up to run and play as it should on the PC.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

ok, finally got my copy and im having a blast going through this. the AI aint too tough, but wont let you just walk all over them. especially with the skags. even some of the best weapons ive found end up doing little damage on the annoying buggers till i realized they dont have armor at the rear. the weapon system is also pretty fun. i think ive replaced my armaments a dozen times already and im still under 20. so far the best gun ive found is a revolver that does 212 damage per round with shock. its for level 15 i think. down side is it only has a 2 round capacity.
    ive tried some multiplayer, but it was a little laggy, and i got DCed often. will try again when i finish my first playthru.

Visit the Borderland forums and read the FAQ there. You have to manually unlock ports in the game so that it runs well in multilayer.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

Originally posted by M1sf1t

Visit the Borderland forums and read the FAQ there. You have to manually unlock ports in the game so that it runs well in multilayer.

i already did. wasnt sure if i was getting DCed coz my game was loading way too slowly, or the connection was just slow. the DCs happen whenever we go to a new area/load something.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

This game is what hellgate should have been.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• reddoreddo Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Ravik

This game is what hellgate should have been.

I'm glad someone mentioned hellgate. Borderlands feels so much better than hellgate, yet I don't really know why. 

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

What difference is this with Fallout 3?

i played FO3 and liked it, and willing to give this game a try

what i want to know is

is there like friendly cities? camps where you can trade your stuffs or just like Crysis where you progress through each mission and all you do is shoot shoot and shoot

is there some RPG enchanced into this game?

So What Now?