Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new hope? Red 5 Studio's mmo

I know we're all jaded over people calling themselves "former blizzard employees" since that deceptively hyped failure hellgate london.  Red 5 Studio's people are branding themselves the same way but I've enjoyed following the company.  They seem to have the right philosophy:  they aren't trying to compete directly with wow by doing another first-gen fantasy mmo.  They seem to be paying attention to other releases but realize they need to introduce a new paradigm in gameplay to mmo gamers, etc.  It's been about a year since they said in an interview that they may announce something in the coming months.  I think the timing would be perfect for them to announce soon as players are already growing tired of the latest mmo hopeful in a string of ambitious but dissapointing attempts over the last few years.  I just thought I'd post on the company since I know some, like me, have been waiting for the next hit in the post-wow world.  They have a fresh, creative and youthful presence and use the right words at least.  We'll see.

company: http://www.red5studios.com/en

gamasutra interview: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21575

Comments

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

The MMO genre needs a Goldeneye right now, not another Doom.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I think a lot of MMO gamers are more burnt out then they want to admit and no matter what MMO comes out, they still won't be happy.  Just my opinion of course.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

The biggest thing they have going for them is the fact that they are using the Project Offset engine...

Unfortunately, they've signed up with Webzen to distribute the game... which doesn't instill much confidence.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Scalebane

I think a lot of MMO gamers are more burnt out then they want to admit and no matter what MMO comes out, they still won't be happy.  Just my opinion of course.

Agreed.  God almighty could hand humanity the 'perfect' MMO and within 30 seconds of it going live, people would be here bitching and crying about it.

• deviladventdeviladvent Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Shoju

Originally posted by Scalebane

Agreed.  God almighty could hand humanity the 'perfect' MMO and within 30 seconds of it going live, people would be here bitching and crying about it.

God doesnt exist my dear. and people have to get this and stop waiting for their dream game or life , whatever is out there you can try it or you can wait for future with some hope.however bitching and whining in forums doesnt changes anything..this is what people never will understand it and well their will waste their time all around forums and complaining than using existing products.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Chieftan

So uh...a MMORPG on a console with blurry graphics which hits it ridiculously big more as a result of being on a console than of being a particularly great MMORPG?

...I don't think we really need that.  Probably a great way to make some money, but personally I'd rather see high caliber stuff.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I think the MMO scene needs something completely new to shake it up. There's a TON of room for evolution in MMO games, and I'm specifically saying MMO not MMORPG, because we've yet to see a MMORTS or a good MMOFPS since Planetside. That's just two examples, I believe there are many other ways to evolve and expand MMO games.

It's really not that hard for a new MMO to break out -- someone needs to do something new (as in not a WoW clone), and get it fully polished before they release. That's really all we need. I think the big companies with the budget to produce a fully polished MMO have been too safe and they've essentially just been making WoW clones (Warhammer, Conan, Aion). Other smaller companies have taken chances with different styles of MMO, but those companies don't have the budget to really polish it before they release (Pirates of the Burning Sea, Fallen Earth, CrimeCraft).

Red 5? I don't know, as a brand new company it sounds like they might fall into the latter category unless they've gotten some strong backing. I expect something innovative, but under budgeted so we'll get something kinda scrappy and rough around the edges.

• deviladventdeviladvent Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by CayneJobb

It's really not that hard for a new MMO to break out -- someone needs to do something new (as in not a WoW clone), and get it fully polished before they release. That's really all we need. I think the big companies with the budget to produce a fully polished MMO have been too safe and they've essentially just been making WoW clones (Warhammer, Conan, Aion).

WARHAMMER AND CONNAN AND AION  were not even close to be polished and not even a good WOW clone with enough END game contents .

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

I think the MMO scene needs something completely new to shake it up. There's a TON of room for evolution in MMO games, and I'm specifically saying MMO not MMORPG, because we've yet to see a MMORTS or a good MMOFPS since Planetside. That's just two examples, I believe there are many other ways to evolve and expand MMO games.
    It's really not that hard for a new MMO to break out -- someone needs to do something new (as in not a WoW clone), and get it fully polished before they release. That's really all we need. I think the big companies with the budget to produce a fully polished MMO have been too safe and they've essentially just been making WoW clones (Warhammer, Conan, Aion). Other smaller companies have taken chances with different styles of MMO, but those companies don't have the budget to really polish it before they release (Pirates of the Burning Sea, Fallen Earth, CrimeCraft).
    Red 5? I don't know, as a brand new company it sounds like they might fall into the latter category unless they've gotten some strong backing. I expect something innovative, but under budgeted so we'll get something kinda scrappy and rough around the edges.

They received pretty good funding early on I remember.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Red 5 has a team with good a resume, but the company has no track record since they havent' released anything yet.

Might be something cool, might be just another asian grinder with a cash shop. Hard to tell at this point.

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241

I remember with WoW, walking into Mulgore, the environment was amazing. The memorable music that I am often reminded of from various things, the feel of it... that magic. Those early Horde areas in particular that were very desert-like were spectacular and that's what I believe the heart of WoW was. Barrens, Thousand Needles, Stonetalon Mountains... thinking about those zones and those early levels are thoughts I revere.

For Age of Conan, Tortage was good, but it didn't have that feel that WoW did. Admittedly however, running around the resource zones did give that feel, with those amazing environments and waterfalls.

In Warhammer, I never got any sort of magical feel honestly.

In Aion... please.

I haven't tried Darkfall and don't have a Gatsby-like budget to try MO so I don't know if those have that early WoW feel. And I'm quite sure that even though I am cautious to employ a "respect your elders" mindset to UO and those older games, I'm positive that they wouldn't have the environmental feel that early WoW had........... whoever was responsible for the music and the environment of early WoW is quite the person!

So since I've been following this team for a good year now, I still have no idea what to expect. It's hard to follow people who haven't done anything. But they are from that early WoW team and that gives them sufficient reason to deserve hype that their game will be good.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• libranimlibranim Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by zchmrkenhoff

I remember with WoW, walking into Mulgore, the environment was amazing. The memorable music that I am often reminded of from various things, the feel of it... that magic. Those early Horde areas in particular that were very desert-like were spectacular and that's what I believe the heart of WoW was. Barrens, Thousand Needles, Stonetalon Mountains... thinking about those zones and those early levels are thoughts I revere.
    For Age of Conan, Tortage was good, but it didn't have that feel that WoW did. Admittedly however, running around the resource zones did give that feel, with those amazing environments and waterfalls.
    In Aion... please.
    I haven't tried Darkfall and don't have a Gatsby-like budget to try MO so I don't know if those have that early WoW feel. And I'm quite sure that even though I am cautious to employ a "respect your elders" mindset to UO and those older games, I'm positive that they wouldn't have the environmental feel that early WoW had........... whoever was responsible for the music and the environment of early WoW is quite the person!
     So since I've been following this team for a good year now, I still have no idea what to expect. It's hard to follow people who haven't done anything. But they are from that early WoW team and that gives them sufficient reason to deserve hype that their game will be good.

The 'magic' of environmental music and zone-design is very subjective... Some people might find the music and environment of AoC's Tortage more exciting than wow, some might find Lotro's story approach much more fun, heck some people might find Warhammer online T1 zone to be the best thing ever (I had quite a few laughs in the orc starting zone). 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're basing mostly off the feeling given off by the first really MASSIVE mmo experience you had and are trying to find the same feeling outta... sigh, nostalgia (I say that word one too often), just don't give too much hope to a game that is under development; as previous posters said, Hellgate advertised their employees to be part of blizzard once- it turned out to be BAD.

I'm not saying this company doesn't deserve the eyes (oh god), but just keep the hopes to minimum.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Originally posted by deviladvent

It's really not that hard for a new MMO to break out -- someone needs to do something new (as in not a WoW clone), and get it fully polished before they release. That's really all we need. I think the big companies with the budget to produce a fully polished MMO have been too safe and they've essentially just been making WoW clones (Warhammer, Conan, Aion).

WARHAMMER AND CONNAN AND AION  were not even close to be polished and not even a good WOW clone with enough END game contents .

End game is a myth of theme park MMOs. There is no such a thing.

Developers should change their attitude and create something new which will be different enough from WoW to avoid the comparison with it. If such a comparison happens then players are always disappointed. When it comes to polish and amount of game content, WoW is years ahead of other MMOs and they can do nothing about it. A good sandbox title with good player driven lore would be a nice change. Maybe even a theme park and sandbox hybrid. The first for strong lore, quest lines and the second for: freedom, no levels, gear dependency, player owned houses, cities, territories ?

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241
    Originally posted by libranim

Originally posted by zchmrkenhoff

In Aion... please.

The 'magic' of environmental music and zone-design is very subjective... Some people might find the music and environment of AoC's Tortage more exciting than wow, some might find Lotro's story approach much more fun, heck some people might find Warhammer online T1 zone to be the best thing ever (I had quite a few laughs in the orc starting zone). 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're basing mostly off the feeling given off by the first really MASSIVE mmo experience you had and are trying to find the same feeling outta... sigh, nostalgia (I say that word one too often), just don't give too much hope to a game that is under development; as previous posters said, Hellgate advertised their employees to be part of blizzard once- it turned out to be BAD.

I'm not saying this company doesn't deserve the eyes (oh god), but just keep the hopes to minimum.

I'm looking for a game with a magical experience. Age of Conan had it a bit, which shows that it isn't a "virgin MMO player" thing.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

Blizzard will deliver. Enough said.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Chieftan

So uh...a MMORPG on a console with blurry graphics which hits it ridiculously big more as a result of being on a console than of being a particularly great MMORPG?

...I don't think we really need that.  Probably a great way to make some money, but personally I'd rather see high caliber stuff.

I believe he meant we need something fresh and exciting instead of just more of the same.

image]image