Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online, I have to pay for beta?

Spadez88Spadez88 Member Posts: 88

I went to the site to download the beta hopeing i could get in when i see a side link saying befor i can play it i have to buy it. Do i really have to buy the digital copy befor i can play the beta?

Comments

• superslayasuperslaya Member UncommonPosts: 55

Beta is not a right. It is a testing period and in no way represents a trial.

It is not uncommon for a company to give benefits to people who pre-order their product before hand and the ability to -test- it before had is one of those benefits.

So, yes, you do have to pay to play beta.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

the game any good? Or is it another AoC/DF?

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

Nobody is forcing to play in the "beta".You can either wait until game out "beta" and play game in form where you feel comfortable paying for it.It almost sounds like you want a free trial to see if you like the game this may not be the case but many mmo fans instead of testing for errors are just using betas to learn where they can take advantage of the game or  a long free trial so i am not feeling that sorry yes it is paid "beta".

Also Star vault is a small company,they don't have deep pockets.Actually it is quite a brilliant idea making players pay already.In this case it is more of company looking out for fans of its game by get money to help out game and fans of game a early head start.Both sides win

• severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264

Only at mmorpg.com could someone spin charging for a beta as doing something good for the gamers. Lol

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by severity3

Only at mmorpg.com could someone spin charging for a beta as doing something good for the gamers. Lol

No, he's saying that paying for beta is good for the game. Which it is.

If fans of the game feel like supporting it in this fashion then so be it. Most people who are going to bitch about aren't actually interested in -testing- anything. They just want a free trial. You can still register for beta, but those who pre-order are going to get preference.

Also, it's not like you're paying them specifically for the beta. You're buying the game now and the beta preference is an added perk.

• rhys1882rhys1882 Member Posts: 18

If you pre-order the game, you get access to the closed beta.  They might have an open beta at some point.  But this is it for now.

Spin,I have played in three paid beta AoC,Darkfall and Vanguard.I am sorry i fail to see evil in paying for a beta access.Fans only complain about a problem in game when they have pay their money,just go on a board after first month is over,amazing all the flaws in a game show up.

In the case Mortal it is made by a small company with out deep pockets,Three things are being are being done

1.Starvault is getting money to develop the game

2.The game can stay longer in a testing stage which is better game in the long run,

3.Like i said before fans only complain when they have to use their money,you have players in a testing period invested in the success of the game.

Do think players will test better if they have to pay money?I am betting on yes.

• severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264
    Originally posted by luckturtz

Spin,I have played in three paid beta AoC,Darkfall and Vanguard.I am sorry i fail to see evil in paying for a beta access.Fans only complain about a problem in game when they have pay their money,just go on a board after first month is over,amazing all the flaws in a game show up.

In the case Mortal it is made by a small company with out deep pockets,Three things are being are being done

2.The game can stay longer in a testing stage which is better game in the long run,

3.Like i said before fans only complain when they have to use their money,you have players in a testing period invested in the success of the game.

Do think players will test better if they have to pay money?I am betting on yes.

youre shittin me right? Do you SERIOUSLY believe that the type of player who is willing to pay for a beta is the type who wants to test? Quite the opposite. A paid beta is waaayyyy more likely to attract someone who wants to play the game at any cost. You know the "i want it now, i want i want i want" instant gratification people............

youre shittin me right? Do you SERIOUSLY believe that the type of player who is willing to pay for a beta is the type who wants to test? Quite the opposite. A paid beta is waaayyyy more likely to attract someone who wants to play the game at any cost. You know the "i want it now, i want i want i want" instant gratification people............

Some those players make it in every beta paid or not.The fact that you have to put some money into something raise entitlement and leads to complaining,complaining leads to fixes.Do i think they will test? No.Do i think they will complain? Yes

Who beta tested War,AoC and Darkfall and in the case of last two is clear that money is what push those games out to release.You think Aoc had stayed in testing for just 3 months longer it would not have been in much better shape.Longer testing periods,Player base who will complain about probelms,Companies getting money to start devolping more content or just pay bills.I am sorry i am still not seeing the probelm.Like i said before i have played three paid beta before Aoc,Vanguard and Darkfall.

• DiExMachineDiExMachine Member Posts: 21

I played in the WAR beta, I didn't have to pay a dime, I was one of the first or second groups to start to test it.  Paid to try out DarkFall before it released.  I got burned on that one, so I am waiting for better reviews before I delve into this one.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

Spin,I have played in three paid beta AoC,Darkfall and Vanguard.I am sorry i fail to see evil in paying for a beta access.Fans only complain about a problem in game when they have pay their money,just go on a board after first

Err, you're not helping your cause AT ALL, the  "paid" betas you mention you played there...how did those games turn out at release?

Let me answer that for you: They went live UNTESTED, INCOMPLETE and FAILED due to that. 

Unless of course you were sarcastic meaning "paid beta" = "first 3 months after  those games went live" .  Because those games were pretty much in BETA , when they launched.

Conclusion? Paid Beta does NOTHING for the game's quality at release. It's a marketing ploy, the devs actually just delay their release a few months and calling it "open beta" , but no one is really testing, the game is effectively live for all intends and purposes.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It does not matter.

If you don't like it, don't pay. It is a free market. Companies can charge whatever they want, for forever "service" they are willing to give.

Personally, I think companies who have to resort to paid beta are underfunded and the games will never be good. There are plenty of alternatives anyway.

However, if you want to roll the dice with your money, it is your freedom. I wouldn't care less.

• PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

Some people say it's paying for alpha... but who knows, maybe they are just pessimists.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Do you consider Ultima Online a fun game?

Imagine Ultima Online in 3D, and you play from the perspective of your avatar.

So no,

It's not AoC or DF.

It's Mortal Online.

OP,

NO, you didn't have to pay for beta.

They invited people prior to the current beta phase.

If you want into beta now, you have to purchase the game.  They had a closed beta for a month or two before the current beta.

• ItinerantItinerant Member UncommonPosts: 89

Only in comment, dont dare compare this empty turtle shell beta -edit "alpha" of a game to Ultima Online.

This game has alot of work ahead of it. And UO over-did itself, (with useless skills and such).

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Fariic

So no,

It's not AoC or DF.

It's Mortal Online.

OP,

If you want into beta now, you have to purchase the game.  They had a closed beta for a month or two before the current beta.

Maybe if it wasn't so basic. UO was UO because it launched with a crap load of polish (minus alignment/PvP system) becuase the game was based on the most successful sandbox games of it era and was built using an engine that left room for a lot of customization (Ultima 7's engine). I would compare it to UO if the game were to launch with 3-4 more months of polish or if a miracle patch comes out prior to the supposed dec launch, but not in its current state. There just not enough to do, shape, or build unless you are a dedicated RPer. Like I said though, if a miracle patch or the game is pushed back then it'll be worth buying, but most gamers (maybe not you or I) today expect more polish and more content.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

So no,

It's not AoC or DF.

It's Mortal Online.

OP,

Maybe if it wasn't so basic. UO was UO because it launched with a crap load of polish (minus alignment/PvP system) becuase the game was based on the most successful sandbox games of it era and was built using an engine that left room for a lot of customization (Ultima 7's engine). I would compare it to UO if the game were to launch with 3-4 more months of polish or if a miracle patch comes out prior to the supposed dec launch, but not in its current state. There just not enough to do, shape, or build unless you are a dedicated RPer. Like I said though, if a miracle patch or the game is pushed back then it'll be worth buying, but most gamers (maybe not you or I) today expect more polish and more content.

You're not in the beta.

UO didn't release as a perfect game.  Like any other MMO ove the last 10+ years, it had is share of issues.  Bugs, exploits, performance, they aren't just Darkfall problems.

MO is the only game that offers the same sandbox type game as UO does.

It has nothing to do with polish or content.

Don't you have a Darkfall fansite to update?

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

So no,

It's not AoC or DF.

It's Mortal Online.

OP,

You're not in the beta.

UO didn't release as a perfect game.  Like any other MMO ove the last 10+ years, it had is share of issues.  Bugs, exploits, performance, they aren't just Darkfall problems.

I am in beta: Housing system is very basic, the taming system is a bit better than basic, crafting system doesn't have a UI yet (unless added in the last week), patcher is still borked, stat loss not properly tested yet, war system no in yet, on top of bugs and general balance issues. These are things that need to be addressed before you can compare it to the level that UO was at launch. These are the type of issues that will lead many to say the game launched early if its still launched in Dec with out addressing these issues. UO was unique in the fact that there was tones to do in the game at launch and the community had a large RP following. MO could be on the same level, if the above mentioned "issues" are addressed.

That said, the game is still worth playing if you value RP>PvP and it does have a UO tinge to it (getting housing and crafting flushed out will make it UO-esque). However, since for me, PvP>All, I'm not going to play it harcore at launch unless I get into a good PvP/WAR guild. For MO to be better than DFO for me, MO's PvP system will have to be better as a fact, not just an opinion. I give SV one thing though, they are upfront about how basic the game is going to be, problem is the fans are over hyping it. Oh, and the RP elements in MO appear to be better than DFO's, but can't say for sure until they are being used (religion creation system, dev events, dynamic time lines etc)

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DarterDarter Member Posts: 57

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, gasp, sputter.  Paying to beta test a game reminds me of that guy that sold epoxy encapsulated chicken turds.  Some idiots will buy anything.  Excuse me while I try to catch my breath, laughing so hard.

Author of the Amazon kindle book, The Clan and the Crown

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Polarisation

Some people say it's paying for alpha... but who knows, maybe they are just pessimists.

Since someone decided to rez this thread I'm going to say it again:

YOU. ARE. NOT. -PAYING-. FOR. BETA!!!!!

You are _paying_ for the -GAME- and as an included _PERK_ of buying the game now you get beta _PREFERENCE_.

Let me break it down for you that still can't grasp this concept.

Imagine there is an event where you can go watch a new pro football team prepare for the season. There are two lines to get in to watch. Now watching itself is free and when you get in is on a first come, first served basis. But there are two lines and the other line is given preference over the other. In order to get into this other line though you have to go buy season tickets.

See? You're not paying to get into the event itself, you're buying something else entirely. Maybe the event (beta) is being used as incentive to get people to buy season tickets, but that's just good business.

Explanation - Event = beta, new team = Mortal. Just in case there are people out there who will not get this analogy.

I've been registered for the MO beta for awhile now, but I'm not about to pre-purchase another game I'm unsure of. In other words I'm choosing to stay in the 'we didn't buy season tickets' line.

This may not be good for us the GAMERS, but it's good for the GAME. Starvault has given no illusions that this is good for us. Mostly because that would be INSANE. That's the kind of thing that DF or AOC would have tried (and I believe, in fact, did) to do. They were completely up front in saying what their plans for this was. I don't see why any of you are bitching. They didn't try to hide it from us like we're stupid and would be fooled easily. Get over yourselves.

So no,

It's not AoC or DF.

It's Mortal Online.

OP,

You're not in the beta.

I am in beta: Housing system is very basic, the taming system is a bit better than basic, crafting system doesn't have a UI yet (unless added in the last week), patcher is still borked, stat loss not properly tested yet, war system no in yet, on top of bugs and general balance issues. These are things that need to be addressed before you can compare it to the level that UO was at launch. These are the type of issues that will lead many to say the game launched early if its still launched in Dec with out addressing these issues. UO was unique in the fact that there was tones to do in the game at launch and the community had a large RP following. MO could be on the same level, if the above mentioned "issues" are addressed.

That said, the game is still worth playing if you value RP>PvP and it does have a UO tinge to it (getting housing and crafting flushed out will make it UO-esque). However, since for me, PvP>All, I'm not going to play it harcore at launch unless I get into a good PvP/WAR guild. For MO to be better than DFO for me, MO's PvP system will have to be better as a fact, not just an opinion. I give SV one thing though, they are upfront about how basic the game is going to be, problem is the fans are over hyping it. Oh, and the RP elements in MO appear to be better than DFO's, but can't say for sure until they are being used (religion creation system, dev events, dynamic time lines etc)

By your own admittion,

You didn't prepurchase the game, but "tried it on a friends account."

If anything the game needs a lot more hype.

There isn't enough awareness for the game. 

The game is intended as a RPG that features FFA PvP.  It's not going for the shadowbane type of game.  

UO has a lot to do that involved Skilling up a character. 

I would go out into the world and practice my skills, and become something.  The only dif. between UO and MO is the lack of the skill system.  Other then that, it's got all of the other sandbox mechanics in place.  Once the game releases they'll be able to refine and expand on them. 

Do me a favor Xpiher.

PM me what Henrik was talking about in beta IRC the other day.  Or what's expected in mondays patch.  Cause you of all people should be interested with what we may be getting monday.  I know I am.  If you don't mind.

• tensspottingtensspotting Member Posts: 179

In simple terms (aka not bitching on one side or the other like above)

YES you have to pay to play the beta

• davidemodavidemo Member Posts: 20

pay or go here

http://www.mortalonline.com/beta/

and wait for a invite