Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet Another "Should I Play This Game " Thread...

jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

but with a different reason for asking than many other "should I play this game" threads.  FFXI was the first game I subscribed to and spent time on way back when; I bought the whole PS2 hard drive attachment and a ps2 controller/keyboard, and loved the hell outta the game.  Things came up, I stopped playing. 

What I'd like to know is: With the upcoming release of a new FF mmo, is it a viable option to start playing XI again?  In the opinion of those who still play (I saw a post somewhere that boasts 500k subs and holding steady), will there still be people playing once the new one hits (whenever that may be)?  Are there still some lower level folks I'd be able to group with?  I saw mention in these forums that there is/was a trial available; might go ahead with that if it IS still available. 

Anyway, thanks.

Comments

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

but with a different reason for asking than many other "should I play this game" threads.  FFXI was the first game I subscribed to and spent time on way back when; I bought the whole PS2 hard drive attachment and a ps2 controller/keyboard, and loved the hell outta the game.  Things came up, I stopped playing. 

What I'd like to know is: With the upcoming release of a new FF mmo, is it a viable option to start playing XI again?  In the opinion of those who still play (I saw a post somewhere that boasts 500k subs and holding steady), will there still be people playing once the new one hits (whenever that may be)?  Are there still some lower level folks I'd be able to group with?  I saw mention in these forums that there is/was a trial available; might go ahead with that if it IS still available. 

Anyway, thanks.

A long time friend of mine just recently convinced me to start FFXI again, and I haven't regretted it at all yet.  I've heard most of the servers are pretty well populated (Odin and Bahamut are locked and you cannot create/transfer there due to overpopulation).  We started on Asura and it's highly populated in most areas, though you'll still most likely be soloing until at least 10 unless you have a friend to static with.  SE did increase the experience gained from Easy Prey and Decent Challenge mobs, so it takes very little time to get to 10 compared to how long it used to take.

I believe there still is a trial, but I had an issue with not recieving a Play Online registration code and my friend ended up picking me up a copy of the game's collector edition.  It's only $20 and includes all expansions, as well as Play Online has been streamlined to add all the expanded content to your ID in one click.

If you enjoyed FFXI previously and are worried about population, don't be.  You still may have times during off hours where you'll have to wait for a party for a bit, but with level sync it's been drastically reduced due to the accessability of parties now.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Personally, if it's something you think you'd enjoy, go for it. However long it takes for FFXIV to come out, at least you'll enjoy the time spent waiting.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Thanks for the input.  I tried to download the trial last night, then grew frustrated with errors that kept popping up with PlayOnline.  I may just head out and pick up that Collectors edition.  Again, thanks.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Anyway, thanks.

I was ready to give my bland "play if you want" response ... but since you got a Flyers logo there ... You already know what the game is like. I haven't played in a few weeks now (too many console games out /drool CoD6) but the additions they have added to the games like Fields of Valor and Level sync allow you to get exp while you are LFP or letting you party with level ranges you normally could not. I mean was leveling jobs to 37 on Qufim Island using FoV to solo mobs until I got an invite to sync with people on the island. Exp was flowing well. I heard that WSIMike was having some problem finding parties on his server, but that sounded like the same bullshit of they player based being arrogant and stuck up like they can be at time instead of playing the game. The game is still running and running apparently well. I don't know how much longer it will be running well seeing as it is 7 years old and its "sequel" is due out somewhere between either the next year to SE's idea of a year (which is more like a martian year ...). If you enjoyed the game before you should enjoy it more now. Give it a shot and if you don't like it or your find it isn't what you were expecting .. at least you gave it a shot.

(P.S. I'm going to the game tonight ... got tix up in 204 ... $53 tixs that I got for $25 each ... sweet deal)

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Bought the CE, about to install it.  Yee-hah...and go Flyers.  They won that game 5-1, hope you had a blast there, man!