Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mod2 pre-order /cancel

greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

No more dedicated servers, screw match making.  basically the PC is getting a port. GG Activision/IW.

www.gamespot.com/news/6237497.html

Comments

• xsharkeyesxxsharkeyesx Member Posts: 119

It's a little more complicated than that. It's much worse than you make it sound... very disappointing.  Please at least make an attempt to save the FPS Genre, and help make Modern Warfare 2 not a huge waste of money. Sign the petition like the 150k+ COD Fans that already have!

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

`Shark

The Call of Duty series created the PC Gaming Community, which in turn made Call of Duty what it is today. Without us, CoD would just be another dusty box on the book shelf or console game sold at a garage sales.

The PC Community is a group of people that I classify as enthusiasts or the modern day back yard mechanics. Folks who love to tinker, experiment and always try to get their engines (CPU's) to run faster on what little they have. They have developed a passion for Call of Duty. Many try other games but always come back to CoD.

The reason? Well I just stated it above. The game gives us the freedom to tinker. It allows us to use our creativity. Call of Duty drives a passion in all of us PC gaming enthusiast second to none.

We build our own systems because of it. Modding our cases. Trimming out the rigs with fancy lights. Putting cpu's under the hood that scream for power. Tweaking to no end.

PC Gamers drive a huge part of the economy. Without us there is very little reason to upgrade systems. Look at the 10 year old computers most business force on their employees.

Cases, PSUs, CPUs, HDs, RAM, Video Cards, Cooling systems, Keyboards, Mice, Monitors and of course Caffeine.

Seriously, would we spend this kind of money if we wanted just a console game to play?

You talk community economics. Groups of gamers don’t care about chipping in $10 here or $20 there per month each to play on a dedicated server.

Hell, most of use piss that away on Mountain Dews.

Fair play

We deal with that. Any community worth 2 cents watches out for this. Policing ourselves has even become part of our genre.

Explain to me how it’s going to be fair if I set up a game on my home system through IW.NET and my clan mates join me to game. I invite anyone to jump in a give it a go against my 0 ping. How is this fair?

Same ranks

Rank only means one thing in CoD. You have done the time. Any of your challenges can be meet by the worst of us.

DLC and Profit?

I say make all the money you can. It’s the American way. Some tend to forget that. Some also tend to forget there most loyal customer's. I think you would find all of us PC gamers would pay for DLC. What happen to the days of expansion packs? There is not a gamer out there that would not spend 10-20$ for additional content. Even 30-40$ if it’s huge. Remember CODUO?

Piracy

Sure things can be stolen. You give the tech jockey's of the world time enough and they can figure anything out. There will never be a way around this.

You created the passion now you’re taking it away. What did you expect? People are going to complain.

Without the allowance of running our own dedicated servers you will lose us all. There will be no more passion, creativity, drive to improve the game. Yes, all of us have a little game designer in us. It’s what makes us unique from consoles. Passionate enthusiast we are. The back yard mechanics of the tech world. It’s what drove you to get that college degree and make games isn’t it? How soon you forget....

I will not be purchasing the game due to the lack of dedicated server support.

Already making plans to move to another game this coming March. I am sure you know what it is. Been gaming for 25 years. Played ever version of CoD from the start. Run a gaming community with a dedicated box. Void of MW2.

Sad day for the PC community but maybe that’s what you want IW. Not real sure. I guess the consoles are taking over. I don't understand why you would strip away what makes us, the PC community, different from other gamers.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Buster

www.thecompanyhub.com

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

I signed the petition before I made the post, but I'm pretty sure that petition won't change anything. I wasn't really going to explain my entire problem with this move they are making or go into detail as to how bad of an idea this is. Best thing I can say at this point on the severity of their ignorance. Is 8 v 8 is the worst idea for a game like this. I'm not quite sure what they are aiming for, seems to be low though. Consider they will probably sell less copies if they follow through with this.

I don't believe piracy plays any part in this, pirated copies are mostly good for one thing, single player. It's almost impossible to pirate a copy and play online, keeping updated, with a cracked copy and false key. And yes, online play is CoD strong point.

I'm actually  part of a clan not the kind running around trying to climb TWL ladders, the kind that plays as a group for fun and relaxation, and every member canceled their pre-order. So for the first time since CoD released, I won't be buying the next game.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Console players have no problem with this? Maybe pc players feel a little to entitled? I don't see any difference between my consoles games with P2P and my PC games with its own server.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

So I was reading about this and they linked to a youtube video.  LOL

Hitler rants about the lack of dedicated servers on Modern Warfare 2

Originally posted by Arndur

Console players have no problem with this? Maybe pc players feel a little to entitled? I don't see any difference between my consoles games with P2P and my PC games with its own server.

Actually, I think we are entitiled to a more customizable game. Customization is why I use a PC. This wouldnt be a problem if I actually used a console, but I chose the PC for the  very reason I listed. You are aware CoD biggest market is PC right? And that's because many people play competativly.

Originally posted by outfctrl

So I was reading about this and they linked to a youtube video.  LOL
    Hitler rants about the lack of dedicated servers on Modern Warfare 2

Friend showed me this a few weeks ago, was pretty funny.

• GalaxoGalaxo Member UncommonPosts: 389

I will stay with COD4 then

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661
    Originally posted by Arndur

Dedicated servers are how PC FPS games run. We are not console gamers, we do not use consoles. Of course there's a difference.

Dedicated servers allow more fair play, there's no host with 0 ping. They allow MUCH larger amounts of players (ARMA 2 can host 100+ player games, and quite smoothly). There is a big difference.

When you develop on the PC platform, there are things you almost have to include. One of these are dedicated servers for FPS games. Without them, you are almost cheating the PC gamers, and many will not buy your game.

I also play in a clan that plays for fun, they were all pretty hyped about MW2, they have all now cancelled their pre-orders.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by greed0104

No more dedicated servers, screw match making.  basically the PC is getting a port. GG Activision/IW.
    www.gamespot.com/news/6237497.html

more people play it on the xbox than on the pc they don't care get a 360

• Hige10Hige10 Member Posts: 5

What im wondering is why they even cut out the option? I can understand they wanted to save money by just doing a pc port. But what happened to atleast giving us a choice? They could have later decided to release the dedicated server module and maybe charged for it if they felt they were at a loss.

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

The PC version (aka the only version, console FPS games suck) is getting shit reviews from actual players all over the place.  The big game reviews are reviewing it high, only because they don't actually play the games and are just paid to put a number down.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order.  Once I saw the no dedicated server thing I knew I wasn't touching that game.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Sabiancym

The PC version (aka the only version, console FPS games suck) is getting shit reviews from actual players all over the place.  The big game reviews are reviewing it high, only because they don't actually play the games and are just paid to put a number down.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order.  Once I saw the no dedicated server thing I knew I wasn't touching that game.

This.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• thafireballthafireball Member Posts: 200

I actually quite enjoy the way it's setup.  I don't really miss the dedicated servers or whatever it was.  It's working great so far.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

This is the review on MW2 for PC on metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2?q=Modern warfare 2

The difference in the user score and the critic score makes it clear.

-------------------------

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I think this a continued  trend and effect of consoles being so much more profitable.  Often times we don't directly feel the result of this game platform battle because I think companies just decide not to make a PC version at all. When a game  like COD Modern warfare 2 tries to do both but gives credence to xbox/console users in programing and game design we directly feel those effects.  Even sadder when Activision does not care that PC fans will be angered because we are a minority not worth listening to.