Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The console VS PC arguement

Comments

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by BloodDuality

So I am just going to add my 2 cents as far as hardware failures. I have an alienware laptop I use for gaming and an xbox 360. So in my years of owning an alienware laptop I had to send the computer in for repars probably 10 times, this is counting the life pan of 3 different computers over 6 years. Seems that the video cards fail a lot, and they cannot seem to repair them without a video car failing again a few weeks later. Ultimately I eventually get the to send me an all new computer since they are too inept to fix them and the BBB really helps with complaints. On avarage those repairis take anywhere from 2 weeks to up to 5 weeks for the company to get parts.
    No on to the xbox 360, yes I have had the red ring of death, not once, not twice, but three times. After calling them and getting the shiping lable I sent it out and got a new 360 within a week. I'll let others do the math on this, and of course they will say that I suck and have horrible luck, which might be true. But I would say my down time with PCs is far greater than it is with consoles, and I am a pretty heavy gamer.
    Also, in closing Alienware sucks, don't buy anything from them...

You are talking about gaming on a laptop though. Laptops are famous for overheating and melting/burning things out during gaming sessions. Hell, I had two laptops die out on me because it was running DVD's for too long and overheated. (road trips) I have never owned a laptop that lasted more than two years, but my desktops are reliable. In the last 8 years, I have replaced 4 sticks of ram and an HDD that burnt out. That is it. In the last 8 years, I have needed to replace 3 laptops from failure.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Originally posted by PoopyStuff

So I am just going to add my 2 cents as far as hardware failures. I have an alienware laptop I use for gaming and an xbox 360. So in my years of owning an alienware laptop I had to send the computer in for repars probably 10 times, this is counting the life pan of 3 different computers over 6 years. Seems that the video cards fail a lot, and they cannot seem to repair them without a video car failing again a few weeks later. Ultimately I eventually get the to send me an all new computer since they are too inept to fix them and the BBB really helps with complaints. On avarage those repairis take anywhere from 2 weeks to up to 5 weeks for the company to get parts.
    No on to the xbox 360, yes I have had the red ring of death, not once, not twice, but three times. After calling them and getting the shiping lable I sent it out and got a new 360 within a week. I'll let others do the math on this, and of course they will say that I suck and have horrible luck, which might be true. But I would say my down time with PCs is far greater than it is with consoles, and I am a pretty heavy gamer.
    Also, in closing Alienware sucks, don't buy anything from them...

just to clarify, the 360 they sent you back wasn't new

it was a refurb that someone else sent back and got fixed.

congrats, you now own a used piece of hardware that broke under someone elses watch.

And I could say the same thing about the refurbished video cards that Alienware kept trying to send me.

I agree to a point Rally, I guess I was more so getting at the fact that they take a long time to repair, and that even after being repaired they fail after a very short time. Also laptops are still a PC, so I really didn't think the arguements about PC vs Console only ment PC towers. I guess those laptop users of the world are just as bad as those silly console users.

And I could say the same thing about the refurbished video cards that Alienware kept trying to send me.

Being that video cards are soldered in, as are many things on laptops, I highly doubt that they were using refurbed ones. And I assume you meant sending in the laptop, because no way would they send you just the parts. Even experts that work on laptops admit that it is a crapshoot if your laptop will even work if you open it up, move things around, and close it back up. No actually change anything out, or really do anything. Just open it up, take out the parts, and put them back in. Laptops are too compact, with too many things to go wrong.

I agree to a point Rally, I guess I was more so getting at the fact that they take a long time to repair, and that even after being repaired they fail after a very short time. Also laptops are still a PC, so I really didn't think the arguements about PC vs Console only ment PC towers. I guess those laptop users of the world are just as bad as those silly console users.

This is my opinion. If you game on a laptop, then you better be a traveller, and not have access to a desktop. A laptop is unreliable, and inferior in every single concevible way to a desktop. Also, when most people discuss pc gaming (and when I say most, I mean nearly all) they are meaning desktops, not laptops. The reason for this is just the fact that laptops suck for everything other than portability.

However, it is better than nothing if you are constantly on the move.

Originally posted by Rallycart

Being that video cards are soldered in, as are many things on laptops, I highly doubt that they were using refurbed ones. And I assume you meant sending in the laptop, because no way would they send you just the parts. Even experts that work on laptops admit that it is a crapshoot if your laptop will even work if you open it up, move things around, and close it back up. No actually change anything out, or really do anything. Just open it up, take out the parts, and put them back in. Laptops are too compact, with too many things to go wrong.

The video card in alienware laptops at least the ones I have owned are screwed in with 3 small screws and slid into place with a separate wire to control the fan. I know because during the many times with tech support they have had me resocket them. I have seen the bad video cards they have put in that are all beat up.

Originally posted 
    The video card in alienware laptops at least the ones I have owned are screwed in with 3 small screws and slid into place with a separate wire to control the fan. I know because during the many times with tech support they have had me resocket them. I have seen the bad video cards they have put in that are all beat up.

Ok, if you say so. I am not saying you are wrong, as things in writ often convey a different tone. I have not encountered such a video card in a laptop, but I have also never owned an Alienware laptop.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

In response to the OP,  Console vs PC will end up being a moot point in the future I think,  mainly because, its obvious that MMOs are trying to go more towards consoles, but not segregate their PC players.  I think we'll be seeing more cross platforming then ever before.

Lets face it,  I'd say the largest company that holds a sway on gaming right now, would be microsoft.  Their platform runs just about every game on the PC,   and eventhough it isn't using MS's code, linux's WINE package allows for interoperability with windows applications,   the xbox 360 is by far one of the most widely used consoles... and its only a matter of time before they consistently cross platform MMOs so both 360 and PC players can play together on the same servers.

Its not for lack of technology.

Secondly, software is a different animal then hardware.  When you create an application for example, if its at all possible you port it to however many platforms will support it or find a use for it.   Changing application coding isn't nearly as tough after most of the major parts are worked out (perhaps tougher in game design then applications but still).  In other words, you aren't starting from scratch.  Its like building the luxury car model but still keeping the old frame, engine, etc.  You've already spent the money on half the costs, now its just making it accessible to a different crowd with different specs and amenities.

Originally posted 

Ok, if you say so. I am not saying you are wrong, as things in writ often convey a different tone. I have not encountered such a video card in a laptop, but I have also never owned an Alienware laptop.

It's ok I will say I have no desire to ever own a desktop tower, I am willing to forgo some power for the portability of a laptop. Especially when I was in college, I was able to go from room to room and game with friends. I'll make this my last reply because I have to get going.

I'll just add other things I have had to do on my laptop with tech support on the phone to try and fix things. Already mentioned the video card. I have also had to remove the keyboard to pop out the wireless card a few times. Resocketed the memory which is a pain to do. Replaced the batery that is on the mobo which i thought was hard to do, and get back in without breaking anything. They even also asked me to removed the cpu itself and then put it back in, but I refused to try and do that because I wasn't confient in doing it and getting the thermal paste back on it right that connects it to the heatsink tubes. I have really learned a lot from those laptops.

I guess I should be glad at how much can be done on their laptops, but the failures and long waits for them to be able to find replacement parts is too long. They build the computers, they shouldn't have to wait 3 weeks to get a video card for the pc.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Pretty sure you can't put a OS on a console. PS3 used to be able to put Linux on but i think they have taken that feature away, only the original PS3's can do this. I think anyway.

However consoles can put a serious halt on technology advancement which is sad. A console cannot be upgraded and they are built, this time, to last 5-10 years. This gives games are major slow down where as if it was exclusively PC, games could advance more rapidly. It is possible we could have miles better games today if it wasn't for consoles.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

For hardcore gaming, the PC is the cheaper route... yes, I said it.  Hear me out:

You can spend 800 bucks on a pc and get current technology that runs current games maxed.  For the next 4 years of its life cycle, you may have to replace the vid card once or twice or a few other components, and each time, you'll get a significant improvement in graphic experience before it's time to overhaul.  And when you overhaul, you'll have useful parts from your current machine that will save you money rebuilding.

A console will cost you anywhere from $200-400(assuming you don't buy first thing) depending on what you get.  It's obsoletion cycle is a bit longer; 6-7 years generally, but in the last half of that cycle, it becomes vastly inferior to the PC experience.  Then, eventually, you need a whole new console.

But hey, still, the console is cheaper for the hardcore gamer, right?  Wrong.

It's not all about the gaming system, as most people should know due to this current generation of consoles.  You need a MONITOR.

For a big screen PC experience, you need a 22-24" monitor, which will cost you 150-300 bucks.

For a comparable big screen console game experience, anything under 52" inches is inadequate, lest you have a hallway for a gaming room.  That means a bottom floor of about $1600.

For me, consoles have only one positive that a PC will probably never touch.  In-room personal multiplayer gaming.  This, I think, is a big reason why the Wii is so successful; because it milks this advantage for everything its got; but the same goes for all consoles.  Rock band for PC would be crap.  Tekken for PC would be silly.  Don't even get me started on Virtual Bowling...

PC's still rule the single player experience; but no mate is gonna and watch over your shoulder as you play Dragon Age on PC.

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Pretty sure you can't put a OS on a console. PS3 used to be able to put Linux on but i think they have taken that feature away, only the original PS3's can do this. I think anyway.
    However consoles can put a serious halt on technology advancement which is sad. A console cannot be upgraded and they are built, this time, to last 5-10 years. This gives games are major slow down where as if it was exclusively PC, games could advance more rapidly. It is possible we could have miles better games today if it wasn't for consoles.

Any modern console with a hard drive can run an OS that you load to the harddrive. I know for a fact people have been running Linux on the Xbox and xbox 360. It just needs to be unlocked.

Also, I don't think consoles slow anything down really. PC components are still maxed out with new games, and people still need upgraded hardware to run the things. We are still limited by PC hardware. God, it was well over a year before people were getting good FPS in Crysis with everything maxed completely out. GTA4 was a HUGE problem for many PC gamers because it took SO much power to run nicely. Same with Saint's Row 2.

Consoles are dedicated, with nothing else running, and only a certain hardware configuration, and even though they have less resources over time than a home PC, they can still give a PC a run for it's money well after it is obsolete.

You can run windows on the 360.  Some consoles can be upgraded... but overall they aren't meant to be upgraded.   I wonder if you installed an SSD if it would increase performance in a 360? Right now it just uses a sata drive.  SSD's increase performance in PCs like crazy!   For games saved to the HDD maybe that would be an upgrade worth trying.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

You can run windows on the 360.  Some consoles can be upgraded... but overall they aren't meant to be upgraded.   I wonder if you installed an SSD if it would increase performance in a 360? Right now it just uses a sata drive.  SSD's increase performance in PCs like crazy!   For games saved to the HDD maybe that would be an upgrade worth trying.

Define "like crazy" and "performance" please. They reduce loading times, and if you have a lot of swap due to low amounts of RAM, they can help the pop in times. That is it really. They wont give you an overall better FPS. They wont give you better visuals. Nothing like that. Even then, if it takes you 20 seconds to load a zone with a normal HDD, and your SDD can do it 4 times as fast, you still only save yourself 15 seconds per load. If you load every 10 mins... Yeah... Not much of a boost. And most people wont load every 10 mins, and it wont take 20 seconds, and an SDD wont give you 4 times the performance... 

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Define "like crazy" and "performance" please. They reduce loading times, and if you have a lot of swap due to low amounts of RAM, they can help the pop in times. That is it really. They wont give you an overall better FPS. They wont give you better visuals. Nothing like that. Even then, if it takes you 20 seconds to load a zone with a normal HDD, and your SDD can do it 4 times as fast, you still only save yourself 15 seconds per load. If you load every 10 mins... Yeah... Not much of a boost. And most people wont load every 10 mins, and it wont take 20 seconds, and an SDD wont give you 4 times the performance... 

Nonono, nothing as far as visuals, but they increase read performance (sometimes comparable, depending on the SSD) of a 10K RPM HDD or above. You also get the advantage of lower power consumption which reduces heat, and you can slap them around a bit, which is always helpful in comparison to the mechanical HDDs that could barely get a tap before you hear them *click* *click* *click* and then its time for a new drive.    In a small case like the 360, the lower power consumption and heat would probably be helpful, and running games from the SSD would probably increase performance overall in comparison to running from an HDD @ 7200 RPMs.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Robsolf

For hardcore gaming, the PC is the cheaper route... yes, I said it.  Hear me out:

You can spend 800 bucks on a pc and get current technology that runs current games maxed.  For the next 4 years of its life cycle, you may have to replace the vid card once or twice or a few other components, and each time, you'll get a significant improvement in graphic experience before it's time to overhaul.  And when you overhaul, you'll have useful parts from your current machine that will save you money rebuilding.

A console will cost you anywhere from $200-400(assuming you don't buy first thing) depending on what you get.  It's obsoletion cycle is a bit longer; 6-7 years generally, but in the last half of that cycle, it becomes vastly inferior to the PC experience.  Then, eventually, you need a whole new console.

But hey, still, the console is cheaper for the hardcore gamer, right?  Wrong.

It's not all about the gaming system, as most people should know due to this current generation of consoles.  You need a MONITOR.

For a big screen PC experience, you need a 22-24" monitor, which will cost you 150-300 bucks.

For a comparable big screen console game experience, anything under 52" inches is inadequate, lest you have a hallway for a gaming room.  That means a bottom floor of about $1600.

For me, consoles have only one positive that a PC will probably never touch.  In-room personal multiplayer gaming.  This, I think, is a big reason why the Wii is so successful; because it milks this advantage for everything its got; but the same goes for all consoles.  Rock band for PC would be crap.  Tekken for PC would be silly.  Don't even get me started on Virtual Bowling...

PC's still rule the single player experience; but no mate is gonna and watch over your shoulder as you play Dragon Age on PC.

Not really. The argument you need a 1600 bucks TV for modern day gaming is complete nonsense. You can do just fine with a 300 or 400 dollar tv, besides most households already own a tv so it's a bit silly to included in the price. Besides, you can hook up consoles to monitors, making your whole point irrelevant.

Consoles also dominate the single player experience by the way.

People like Poopystuff make me laugh. The keyword is can. Yes, a high end PC can do more than a consoles if there were actually any developers taking advantage of it. There simply aren't any left because very few people are willing to buy a high end gaming pc. Result is that developers focus on mid end pcs.

The average PC game looks very comparable to the average console game. On top of that, Console games are simply better. If you go to gamerankings and check the all time best, as in highest rated games, the top positions are dominated by multiplatform games and console exclusive games.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Not really. The argument you need a 1600 bucks TV for modern day gaming is complete nonsense. You can do just fine with a 300 or 400 dollar tv, besides most households already own a tv so it's a bit silly to included in the price. Besides, you can hook up consoles to monitors, making your whole point irrelevant.

Accordign to you, hardly actual proof. Dragon Age on PC, singple-player, superior to all console versions in everyway. This is a pointless argument. The console fans have been raising there pitchforks for hears and demanding the death of the PC. It's just not going to happen.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

Originally posted by Nesrie

Accordign to you, hardly actual proof. Dragon Age on PC, singple-player, superior to all console versions in everyway. This is a pointless argument. The console fans have been raising there pitchforks for hears and demanding the death of the PC. It's just not going to happen.

Dragon Age is a multiplatform game that was built for the PC in mind.

Uncharted 2, Zelda:  Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid and so many other console games are rated higher on average than any PC exclusive game. Ever.

PC gaming isn't going to die, but it's relevance is quickly dropping and that will only continue.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

PC gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon.   FPS will always be better on PC, there is just something that mouse and keyboard just give you better control IMO. As for MMO's there really hasn't been that many for the consoles, EQ online adventures and FFXI are the only 2 I remember sorry if Im missing one. We all know that MMO's are getting big now because of WoW's success so until Blizz makes a port for WoW then were pretty much safe to say that MMO's are mostly PC exclusive.

As for me I don't even plan on getting the next gen of consoles not even the next nintendo just for Zelda. I have a 360 and don't even use it anymore. I havent bought a game for it in over a year and its been collecting dust, i don't even use it as an over glorified DVD player anymore.

Originally posted by cukimunga

PC gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon.   FPS will always be better on PC, there is just something that mouse and keyboard just give you better control IMO. As for MMO's there really hasn't been that many for the consoles, EQ online adventures and FFXI are the only 2 I remember sorry if Im missing one. We all know that MMO's are getting big now because of WoW's success so until Blizz makes a port for WoW then were pretty much safe to say that MMO's are mostly PC exclusive.
    As for me I don't even plan on getting the next gen of consoles not even the next nintendo just for Zelda. I have a 360 and don't even use it anymore. I havent bought a game for it in over a year and its been collecting dust, i don't even use it as an over glorified DVD player anymore.

Always is a bold statement. I doubt it will be always considering consoles are constantly reinventing themselves while PC gaming is pretty much stuck.

The Wii remote rivals the mouse in terms of accuracy, the only thing they need to come up with is something to make it just as fast. They already use an Analog stick, which is much better than just 4 buttons for movement.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I prefer different types of games on different platforms. On PC, I play my MMOs and FPS. Can't stand fps on console. Regular RPGs, sports games, fighting, and various other types I might play, I like my console. It is a more comfortable setup for me too, hehe.

I got DA:O for ps3 and like it ok. Seems like it might have been better on computer with the way they have the skills and menu set up, but usually most rpgs I play are ideal for console. Adapted easily enough, and can't beat just kick back on my bed playing on my hdtv, lol.

Anyway, the whole argument seems a bit pointless. Some games are better suited for each paltform, and even then people disagree about what is better. I know some people who think fps games are far superior on console, and I just shudder when i think about using a controller to aim and shoot. To each their own. Both are going to continue to do quite well.

Always is a bold statement. I doubt it will be always considering consoles are constantly reinventing themselves while PC gaming is pretty much stuck.
    The Wii remote rivals the mouse in terms of accuracy, the only thing they need to come up with is something to make it just as fast. They already use an Analog stick, which is much better than just 4 buttons for movement.

PCs are also being "reinvented" via peripherals. Look at the Novint Falcon. And you can play with an analog stick on PC, I know I do. It is attached to my smaller macro keyboard called a Cyborg Command Unit. The G13 also has an analog stick.

Also, I am not sure how much you have been using the Wii mote... But I HARDLY call it accurate. I find it to be very cumbersome, and nothing compared to the accuracy of a mouse. If you use a trackball, you have even more accuracy, not to mention speed.

These days, any device you get for the consoles, you can slo get for the PC, with the exception of game specific items, such as the Wii Fit. Even remotes. And lets not forget about flight simulator control panels...

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Uncharted 2, Zelda:  Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid and so many other console games are rated higher on average than any PC exclusive game. Ever.
    PC gaming isn't going to die, but it's relevance is quickly dropping and that will only continue.

A smaller market share does not mean lower relevance. The way you are trying to merge those two is ridiculous. There are more people playing PC games now than ever before, and it's a worldwide audiance with the only region restrictions often being linked to archaic DRM schemes. The fact that console games have picked up the market share they lost in the first place doesn't mean PC gaming is going down. The consoles fkd up and now they are finally get back what they lost, nothing extraordinary about that at all.

I should also point out I game on PCs AND consoles but i don't feel the need to try and pitchfork the couple of consoles I don't have to death and claim they are not relevant.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

PC version or XBOX360 ?

Predict the future of console gaming post 1

Predict the future of console gaming post 2

Console + keyboard =? PC death

PC Gaming is cheap.

For repition's sake that is what I posted in the past and others too.

I'd only add that I agree indie gaming may be the future as pointed out in a November, or earlier, OXM issue. Especially if it's true costs are going to double next generation.

Also there was a time when PCs had no hard drive. The days of tape drives come to mind. Heck some DOS games were played off the floppy.

For consoles the Wii sadly uses flash memory.

Even though the tech is there not a lot of PC players use it because it's too expensive.

Sadly this reason influenced Nintendo's choice of forgoing hi-def signals to the Wii. It only used a 480p, EDTV, instead of true hi-def 720p and up.

The reason was a very small percentage only used the component hookups on the Gamecube and future Gamecube consoles ended up without components hookups made.

Both PCs and consoles have hardware failures. Went through a Radeon 2600, 8800GT affected from Vista's sleep mode, motherboard failure, 2 Xbox 360's, and a recent PS3 failure. (Thank's Sony for 3.01 )

I'll just plug in, again that, I support both and want all to survive for competition's sake.

PCs are also being "reinvented" via peripherals. Look at the Novint Falcon. And you can play with an analog stick on PC, I know I do. It is attached to my smaller macro keyboard called a Cyborg Command Unit. The G13 also has an analog stick.
    Also, I am not sure how much you have been using the Wii mote... But I HARDLY call it accurate. I find it to be very cumbersome, and nothing compared to the accuracy of a mouse. If you use a trackball, you have even more accuracy, not to mention speed.
    These days, any device you get for the consoles, you can slo get for the PC, with the exception of game specific items, such as the Wii Fit. Even remotes. And lets not forget about flight simulator control panels...

Actually the Wii MotionPlus looks promising from the Red Steel 2 trailer.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

Originally posted by Nesrie

A smaller market share does not mean lower relevance. The way you are trying to merge those two is ridiculous. There are more people playing PC games now than ever before, and it's a worldwide audiance with the only region restrictions often being linked to archaic DRM schemes. The fact that console games have picked up the market share they lost in the first place doesn't mean PC gaming is going down. The consoles fkd up and now they are finally get back what they lost, nothing extraordinary about that at all.

I should also point out I game on PCs AND consoles but i don't feel the need to try and pitchfork the couple of consoles I don't have to death and claim they are not relevant.

Consoles picked up what they lost ever since the 8 bit days, and even in the 8 bit days gaming was bigger then it ever was before. It's also important to note that before that, PC gaming was almost non existant.

Yes there are more people playing PC games...In asia. Which play completely different kind of games then we in the west do. Here in the west, console games outsell PC games significantly. Pc games aren't important anymore, nobody looks up anymore when it comes to pc gaming except whenever Blizzard announces something.

This is also to the person who considers PC peripherals reveinventing, that's not reinventing. Because these peripherals are only used by few, no games will be made that are designed with that in mind. 

The way you experience console games have changed significantly. PC games have always been around mouse and keyboards because PC gamers are not open for evolution of the platform.