Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars is the best MMO game ever made(IMO)

13»

Comments

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I agree with pretty much your whole review. GWs is still probly my favorite online game next to Aion at the moment. It truly is unique and unlike any of the others.

My g/f and I bought it but she couldnt get into it for some reason (probly the stat management involved) so its sitting on my shelf for now. Hopefully i'll pick it up again one day but I have no regrets buying it at all.

Hopefully GW2 lives up to expectations!! :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• CaltorCaltor Member Posts: 2

tro_44..... call it whatever you like it still a good game which i completely agree whit OP on all point even tough some of the negative points goes in the positive for me xD i like the whole strategical way of the game... even if im more of a pve player... i usually find a nice guild that do a lot of HM and there you can have some great chalange especially in endgames and i hope they dont change too much the old GW concept for the second one i mean 8 skills only... a lot of instance... focus on teamplaying realloting at will which is one of the best point of that game... you dont need to stick on one element of you class exemple ele can switch from fire to water or earth or air whit almost or no penalty(only need a new weapon and even there...)

and yet for me its also the best  "MMO" kind game OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT LIKE i've played in my life 

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

I find it funny, that somebody say they hate WoW's Raid cause its easy and you can go afk during the fights and still win.

HeHE,, as if you couldnt do that in GW. Not like the NPC wont fight for ya. The game basically plays itself. Some fun we have here. Anybody agree?

• RaikulRaikul Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by tro44_1
    Originally posted by nukedude I though this thread would seem as a mature one. The OP made some very good points which I agree with all. Tho the haters here are just ... imbiciles... Is it so hard to comprehend we are not the same, and like different things? is it so hard to just enjoy a game and leave others be?
    Damn, I guess Einstein was right afterall... There are only two things infinite; the universe, and human stupidity.
    @OP: I agree with you at every point. I have enjoyed GW for more than 2500hrs, altho I'm having a break for a few months. I might not be such a group player, but I enjoyed every aspect of the game. Solo'ed through everything with Henches & Heroes on both HM as well as NM.
    I'm glad to see some more ppl share the exact same opinion as me.
    @tro44_1: funny to see the one bashing this game with a GW-creature in his avatar. U dicided to bash this game for life or something?

The game sucks as a MMORPG. Whats wrong with that? its not a MMORPG, so of course it will suck as a MMORPG. Iam waiting for GW2. I hope at least the developers learn their lesson from the first game. It was boring. I enjoy playing the large PvP fights, but they get boring fast. WHat I like most is the way it feels like a MMORPG, even though its not. (Ever play DoT Hack on the PS2?) Its basically the same thing, but without the internet requirment.
    if Anet had designed this same game, to be playable without INTERNET, we wouldnt notice a difference, since the whole game out side of PvP, can be Soloed. Thats not what being a MMORPG is all about. Admit it.

Who's to say an MMORPG can't be about competitive play? If I understand it correctly, MMORPG only needs to be Massive, Multiplayer, Online, and a Role Playing Game.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Well the whole game  cannot be soloed. I'm not sure where he gets his information from or he hasn't played all of the content.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I agree with everything the OP has said.

GW is be best mmo I have played. For those who say its not an mmo, go back to your gear grind and leave skilled/entertaining play to the gamers who don't want to waste their lives following that carrot.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Other than WoW it is probably the most successful game listed on this site. Some just don't like it because of the instancing but for the most part, its had to knock a game that has sold over 5+ million copies and argueably has one of the best pvp systems.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Direct from the Guild Wars FAQ found here:

www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience.Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Players in Guild Wars can play with or against players from around the world in the global tournaments and arenas. And while players are initially placed in a region based on their selected language (so that there is a greater likelihood that others will be speaking their language) they can join up in the always-available International District to form parties and to play with anyone from anywhere in the world.

As you can see directly from the FAQ they say themselves that GW is not a MMORPG so there is no need to argue the matter.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Guild Wars is a good game if you look at how well the intended gameplay has been implemented.

I also think that it was one of the more innovative online games when it was released. There is no reference to determine if its the 'best' in a certain category, because everyone seems to use his own reference if it comes to these kind of games. Which just shows a personal preference.

You dont have to use the label MMORPG to call Guild Wars a very good game.

Oh, and anyone who keeps looking at GW pvp from a 1vs1 perspective doesnt get it. It is clearly designed for group vs group. While a player with just 8 skills might be rock, paper or scissors, a full group's 64skill balanced build isnt. Even in random arenas you get dropped into a team of 4. There is not even a duel option in Guild Wars.

Even PVE is almost always about group vs group combat. This is also an important difference with PVE in other games.