Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"resubbed" :)

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I got myself set up in the game again.  I haven't played in a long time and I am kind of lost.  Question, is it ok to start playing (from scratch) in factions, or should I do the original content first.

I also wanted to add that this game is still very beautiful, especially for its age.  It's easily one of the best looking games on the market still in 2009.  Yeah, some of the features are outdated, but really, when you stack it up against the current solo-focused game play in all the current theme-parks, it's not a whole lot different from a full persistent world theme-park.  Hell, no one talks to each other anymore in those games anyway.

I've been without a game for so long, I figured I might as well play this until something else comes out, or GW2 releases. I'm a bit lost on character building, but I will catch back up :)

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Factions is probably the fastest leveling of any of the campaigns. It does have a rather sharp jump from the newbie island to KC though. You'll go from level 13-14 content to level 20 stuff. Still you'll be fine to start in Factions. My personal preference is starting in Nightfall but you'll get different opinions from everyone.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

It's a matter of taste really.

What campaign(s) do you own?

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Secrom

It's a matter of taste really.
    What campaign(s) do you own?

All of them.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

Ok then it's no big deal, start with whatever suits you. Maybe you should make sure you have done all the skill quests in the original campaign first to unlock them, can save you a couple of platinums in the long run.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Iam bored of the PvE. Currently iam only doing the PvP grind

• mightyikarimightyikari Member Posts: 101

I've recently come back to Guild Wars, decided to start in Nightfall as it's my least favourite campaign and I want to get it out of the way!

I do love Pre-Searing though, I do have a Pre-only character I keep there.

Welcome back to one of the most fun MMO's in the business.  And it IS an MMO - it is Massive, Multiplayer AND Online.

http://www.recycleyourgames.co.uk - Recycle Your Games and Consoles. Help the Environment and Charity!

Originally posted by mightyikari

I've recently come back to Guild Wars, decided to start in Nightfall as it's my least favourite campaign and I want to get it out of the way!
    Welcome back to one of the most fun MMO's in the business.  And it IS an MMO - it is Massive, Multiplayer AND Online.

Ok What Ever.

Halo is still a better MMO IMHO

So is Diablo, and Resistance 2

Originally posted by tro44_1

Ok What Ever.

The levels in FPS games are as massive as the worlds in MMO's?  I don't play FPS's so I wasn't aware.

http://www.recycleyourgames.co.uk - Recycle Your Games and Consoles. Help the Environment and Charity!

Ok What Ever.

The levels in FPS games are as massive as the worlds in MMO's?  I don't play FPS's so I wasn't aware.

30vs30 is bigger then anything we see in GW.

oh wait.,,,,,, Guild Wars is not a MMO

My bad

Ok What Ever.

My bad

I could squeeze a large number of players into a small room, does that make that one room bigger than an entire MMORPG world?  Think before you type.

Ok What Ever.

My bad

I could squeeze a large number of players into a small room, does that make that one room bigger than an entire MMORPG world?  Think before you type.

Its called a 3D chat room.

Oh wait,,,,,, Guild Wars is not a MMO

Ok What Ever.

My bad

Please let me know where Guild Wars doesn't meet the following specifications -

• Massive
    • Multiplayer
    • Role Playing Game

Cheers

Ok What Ever.

My bad

• Massive
    • Multiplayer
    • Role Playing Game

Cheers

Please let me know where Halo, Resistance, Resistance 2, Mag, Any online FPS doesn't meet the following specifications -

•Massive

•Multiplayer

•Role Playing Game

Cheers

Ok What Ever.

My bad

• Massive
    • Multiplayer
    • Role Playing Game

Cheers

Please let me know where Halo, Resistance, Resistance 2, Mag, Any online FPS doesn't meet the following specifications -

•Massive

•Multiplayer

•Role Playing Game

Cheers

You said GW is not an MMO, You answered my question with another question.  This is called avoidance.  Avoidance is used when you cannot prove your point and you wish to change the direction of the conversation.

Thank you.  :)

• IlgauskasIlgauskas Lineage II CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 58

Ok What Ever.

My bad

• Massive
    • Multiplayer
    • Role Playing Game

Cheers

•Massive

•Multiplayer

•Role Playing Game

Cheers

You said GW is not an MMO, You answered my question with another question.  This is called avoidance.  Avoidance is used when you cannot prove your point and you wish to change the direction of the conversation.

You avoid to answer yourself. By your MMO definition any multiplayer FPS can be an MMO which is a complete nonsense. That was the main thing tro44 wanted to say.

P.S. You even contradict the developers which clearly stated that GW was designed as Co-op RPG or quest-based RPG which is NOT an MMO. "ArenaNet Co-Founders Patrick Wyatt, Mike O'Brien and Jeff Strain on their competitive quest-based RPG project ".

Originally posted by Ilgauskas

Ok What Ever.

My bad

• Massive
    • Multiplayer
    • Role Playing Game

Cheers

•Massive

•Multiplayer

•Role Playing Game

Cheers

You avoid to answer yourself. By your MMO definition any multiplayer FPS can be an MMO which is a complete nonsense. That was the main thing tro44 wanted to say.

I understand that, however to say Guild Wars is not an MMORPG is rediculous.  That was my point, simply because it uses extensive instancing doesn't mean it isn't an MMO.

Originally posted by Ilgauskas

Ok What Ever.

My bad

• Massive
    • Multiplayer
    • Role Playing Game

Cheers

•Massive

•Multiplayer

•Role Playing Game

Cheers

I understand that, however to say Guild Wars is not an MMORPG is rediculous.  That was my point, simply because it uses extensive instancing doesn't mean it isn't an MMO.

Auh NVM. Its like talking to a damn brick wall when it comes to you rabit fanboyz. I guess ANET was wrong. I mean, come on, What do they know? Not like ANET developed Guild Wars or anything like that.

• AnimusChaserAnimusChaser Member Posts: 91

Direct from the Guild Wars FAQ found here:

www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience.Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Players in Guild Wars can play with or against players from around the world in the global tournaments and arenas. And while players are initially placed in a region based on their selected language (so that there is a greater likelihood that others will be speaking their language) they can join up in the always-available International District to form parties and to play with anyone from anywhere in the world.

As you can see directly from the FAQ they say themselves that GW is not a MMORPG so there is no need to argue the matter.

Thread Locked

Oh Noes Its The Forum Police

This discussion has been closed.