Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game zoned?

2»

Comments

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by GPrestige

Does anyone know if the game is zoned? By zoning, the best examples of what I mean are:
    -Age of Conan
    -Final Fantasy XI
    -Aion

By no zones, I mean:
    -WoW
    -Vanguard
    -Lotro

I think you mess "instanced" and "seamless" with "zoned". From the games you have mentioned the only one that is not zoned is Vanguard. Even Vanguard have some zones introduced after release, but in most part the world is open.

Zoning mean that world is separated on different zones by difficulty (levels etc) where you can go in and out by walking only from specific points. In addition to zoning world can be seamless or not. In case of WoW and Lotro it is seamless, but still have zones separated by obstacles not passable by walking (like mountains),  till in AoC and WAR there is loading between zones. In addition AoC use instanced zones for specific number of players.

So your correct question is "Is this game have seamless world?"

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by luciusETRUR

Yet, I didn't say most people, I said that I talk to. So that is obviously you attacking my choice of friends, thanks.

So you claim you only talk to people who are friends of yours? Well I know thats not correct. You are talking to me and I'm not friend of yours.

But if you are claiming that your friends don't know what Asheron's Call is, then yeah, I guess I would say you have made some poor life choices.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I believe it will be an open world but with the use of instances as well. Don't expect it to be 100% seamless. Oh and WoW is zoned (boat travel takes you from one zone to the next) not to mention instanced dungeons.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Raltar

...But if you are claiming that your friends don't know what Asheron's Call is, then yeah, I guess I would say you have made some poor life choices.

I'm just gonna jump in here to not be constructive to this thread at all, as it's already a question asked one thousand times with no real, concrete answer on Bioware's part that should have just been looked up by the OP...

I very highly doubt anyone has really heard of Asheron's Call beyond the very small scope of people who visit sites like these. Not to say who you are referring to is equally out of line, but to say someone has poor life choices because their friends have never heard of a certain game is very silly (and entertaining to see... which is why I was so tempted to quote it and now tempted to replace my signature with this statement).

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

I guess I just have higher standards than most people. I like to choose friends who share my interests and don't need me to constantly explain to them that WoW and Everquest aren't the only MMORPGs in the universe.

But like I said... "MOST PEOPLE" just aren't that smart...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Douhk

Originally posted by Raltar

...But if you are claiming that your friends don't know what Asheron's Call is, then yeah, I guess I would say you have made some poor life choices.

I'm just gonna jump in here to not be constructive to this thread at all, as it's already a question asked one thousand times with no real, concrete answer on Bioware's part that should have just been looked up by the OP...

I very highly doubt anyone has really heard of Asheron's Call beyond the very small scope of people who visit sites like these. Not to say who you are referring to is equally out of line, but to say someone has poor life choices because their friends have never heard of a certain game is very silly (and entertaining to see... which is why I was so tempted to quote it and now tempted to replace my signature with this statement).

To insinuate that someone isn't smart based on the games they play is pretty much the epitomy of elitism and a pretty weird standard to live by. But then again you have to remember what poster we are talking about here. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
  • VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I love zoning like WoW does it where it's seamless but I hate it when it becomes like EQ2 where you click on a bell and you're warped to some location and go through a loading screen. I personally have to feel like I'm in a world.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Varny

I love zoning like WoW does it where it's seamless but I hate it when it becomes like EQ2 where you click on a bell and you're warped to some location and go through a loading screen. I personally have to feel like I'm in a world.

I totally agree with you. Almost all games have some degree of zoning and instances, but when you feel as if the entire world is different parts glued together like EQ2 and AOC, it takes a lot from the feeling you are in a living and breathing world. WOW and LOTRO did a great job of keeping the areas so huge that you dont feel as if you are in a zoned world. You can see the change in the landscape in the distance as you move from most areas to most other areas and that is what I think most people like. In both WOW and LOTRO, it can take you an incredible amount of time if you walk from one side of an area to another before hitting something that someone would call zoning. In AOC and EQ2, those areas do not take that much time to walk from one area to another before needing to hold for a loading screen before changing areas. The 'instancing' in both WOW and LOTRO seem totally appropriate for what they are used for.

There Is Always Hope!

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Though what I didn't enjoy in Lotro was how you had to go through a loading screen to enter buildings which had no more detail than ones in WoW. Just let me walk straight into buildings like WoW's Inns.