Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft profits soar 836%, Aion NA, Euro sales near 1M

124»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Zorndorf

And those boxes sit now on western dealer's shelves.
    And they sit and sit ...
    Just like the rest of those unsold 1.2 M WAR boxes with 5/5 servers to support the unsold units :)
    Get a grip Aion has 14NA/18EU non full servers.
    That's the equivalent of 250K western subs... and rapidly declinging according to Xfire.
    You really have to be blind to believe this Korean is going to stay in player's minds.

Where do you get 250k from? The 18+14 = 32 servers are about half full (I take that from half of them listed as full and half as recommended).

One Lineage 2 server had a maximum capacity of 5000. Since it is the same company, and a newer game, one would assume that Aion servers has atleast that high max capacity. So half full servers would be 2500 concurrent players. 2500x32 = 80.000 concurrent subscribers.

A typical number used is that 15% of subscribers is the peak concurrent subscribers. So that gives us 80.000/0.15 = 533.000 subscribers.

With 970.000  boxes sold that is (533.000-970.000)/970.000 = -0.45 which is a 45% drop of subs which coincidently is about the same drop as XFire shows.

So the current subscriber base is around 525.000, give or take 50.000, not 250.000.

You have a little problem there...

Because NScoft bragged that ... at launch ... that 60% of their player base was playing at the same time ... :)))

http://uk.aiononline.com/board/notices/view?articleID=164&page=2

I'll quote ... to make it easy on you:

"In preparation for Aion’s launch, we ran calculations of our presale numbers with historical conversion ratios and expected concurrency numbers, which led to our determination of launch day server needs. In addition, we had a 25 percent additional capacity in hardware reserve and the ability to increase server population. We’ve further responded to the overwhelming demand by adding additional server worlds in all languages, and still we are working around the clock to address the incredible demand. For example, we’re seeing timeframes where 60 percent or more of our players are playing at any given time. This is a significant event by any MMO standard. Another surprising development is how long players are staying in game—I think that’s a testament to the enjoyable nature of the product. "

---------

Now some technical info: 12NA/12EU servers were not enough to solve those 60% of the players logging in. Aion launched with "almost" 400K pre-orders (including those that always pre order and "forget" to collect the real thing so they have a few days of trial).

12NA/12EU means around a 200K max capacity. Clearly not enough for the 400K of which (NCOSFT SOURCE ITSELF) said 60% was trying to get in ...

So they upped it to 14NA/18EU (I myself predicted BEFORE launch they would need 16NA/18EU), having a nice 240K possibilty.

----> I don't know where you get that ridiculously low 15% average in btw. As Mark Jaobs himself said that at the launching month around 1/3 players are logged in in a new MMO concurrently time).

For older mmorpg's the ratio is between 1/3 and 1/4 , so between 25 and 33% logging in.

You can see this from AIon itself btw: Korean had 400 K subs (with 41 servers) and China at the launching week had 113 servers for 1 M (free! at the time) playing players.

Take your (extreme low) 15% (see the bragging of NCsoft 60% themselves)  to 30% and you come up with the exact same figures of me: 250K.

Edit: those 970K were shipped to shops (at the end of the quarter). FAR from every box was sold to customers too at this time. They sell it to the retailers, but those boxes still sit on dealers shelves today.

In no way are 14US/18EU servers enough to hold the subs you mention (see above the Korea and China Aion situations at launch).

12/12 means 200k max capacity? Where do you get these kind of numbers that you just pull out?

Aion sold had about 400k PRE-ORDERs sold. That means that there was atleast 400k subscribers but also a an unknown number of people who bought the game after. So lets say  200k bought it "normally" (i.e. not pre-orders) up to couple of weeks after.

That gives about 600k subscribers. 600.000*0.15 = 90.000 concurrent players. 90.000/24 = 3750 people per server. That is pretty high but reasonable number but keep in mind that the 15% people of concurrent users is for an established MMORPG (i.e. not recently launched).

So close to release more than 15% would be logged at peak times which would probably be the reason of those extra servers.

So to conclude: 15% is the average percentage used for an MMORPG but obviously not right after launch which could see peak numbers of much higher.

However now it is long since launch and that 15% is more likely to be correct. So I will stick with my 500k subscribers, all the data I have seen (from official sources) indicate that.

EDIT: I dont know where you get the 970k shipped to stores. The article clearly says:

"As part of its third-quarter earnings announcement today, NCsoft said that Aion has now sold more than 500,000 units in North America and 470,000 copies in Europe."

For me "sold" is not the same as shipped to stores. I dont know where you get that from.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Like WAR and AOC, Aion has sold a lot of copies. I'm surprised they didn't release the sub numbers at this point, since it's when they are likely to be at their highest. That in itself is an indicator of how Aion is doing. If it was doing well, they would jump at the opportunity to put those sub numbers out in the public eye, rather than going the AoC/WAR route and release units sold instead.

They were aiming for 2nd spot in Western market, so if they had 350k subs they would say they accomplished their goal. That hasn't happened yet, so it'll be interesting to see the trends in x-fire and official sources to see how Aion does in the coming months.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144
    Originally posted by MMMOGIRL

Seriously, just because they sold the game doesn't mean its FANTABULOUS. It actually sucks, hard core. Here's the scoop: I purchased the game, installed, created my toon and attempted to play. The lag was soo horrid, I couldnt click on my first NPC to do the quest. 10 seconds later, I can click and I now have my quest. So I move forward to begin killing for my quest, I click a mob, I attack, all seems well. Then the lag REALLY kicks up. I click a mob, nothing happens, I click it again, nothing happens. I try to attack, NOTHING HAPPENS. 45 to 60 seconds later, after my toon has already walked away, I get a rush of action, my toon spins wildly, damage numbers fly up my screen and the three mobs I attempted to kill suddenly die, and three players and NPCs whiz past me.

That is the WORST lag I have ever seen in my life. Read their forums if you don't believe me. So many people are royally ticked and have unsubbed, as have I. I wasted $40 on this game that I cannot even play. How sad is it that they cannot even optimize their servers to run on all of North Americas ISP. Major FAIL.

If anyone is lucky enough to make it through some levels in the game, here is what the play is like, so Ive been told by MANY sources. You have to quest to get to level 15, and 15 is when you can begin PvP. Unfortunately, they do not organize the PvP with equal levels. So your level 15 and a level 40 comes along and literally smashes your face. Oh, now thats what I call fun....(sarcasm)
    After level 25 there are no quests left and it becomes a grind fest. Even more fun.

Thanks but NO THANKS.

OH, I'm sorry you where not smart enough to look for those quests past level 25.

Yes lag is terrible in the abyss during sieges but they are working to fix it.

As for the PvP in the abyss well considering many people are already 35+ in the game already yeah there will be some PvP mis-matches.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

OH and people need to start ignoring Zorndorf as he has no clue to what he is  posting.

• MMMOGIRLMMMOGIRL Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Seriously, just because they sold the game doesn't mean its FANTABULOUS. It actually sucks, hard core. Here's the scoop: I purchased the game, installed, created my toon and attempted to play. The lag was soo horrid, I couldnt click on my first NPC to do the quest. 10 seconds later, I can click and I now have my quest. So I move forward to begin killing for my quest, I click a mob, I attack, all seems well. Then the lag REALLY kicks up. I click a mob, nothing happens, I click it again, nothing happens. I try to attack, NOTHING HAPPENS. 45 to 60 seconds later, after my toon has already walked away, I get a rush of action, my toon spins wildly, damage numbers fly up my screen and the three mobs I attempted to kill suddenly die, and three players and NPCs whiz past me.

That is the WORST lag I have ever seen in my life. Read their forums if you don't believe me. So many people are royally ticked and have unsubbed, as have I. I wasted $40 on this game that I cannot even play. How sad is it that they cannot even optimize their servers to run on all of North Americas ISP. Major FAIL.

If anyone is lucky enough to make it through some levels in the game, here is what the play is like, so Ive been told by MANY sources. You have to quest to get to level 15, and 15 is when you can begin PvP. Unfortunately, they do not organize the PvP with equal levels. So your level 15 and a level 40 comes along and literally smashes your face. Oh, now thats what I call fun....(sarcasm)
    After level 25 there are no quests left and it becomes a grind fest. Even more fun.

Thanks but NO THANKS.

OH, I'm sorry you where not smart enough to look for those quests past level 25.

As for the PvP in the abyss well considering many people are already 35+ in the game already yeah there will be some PvP mis-matches.

And I am sorry that you are not smart enough to read my post. I had lag IN THE VERY BEGINNING,, NOT IN PVP. That is so very very sad that a game has that much lag at level 1. Its also sad that they spent more money on HYPE than on making sure their game will run POLISHED on all ISPs in North America BEFORE THEY RELEASED IT. I also did not say that I made it past 25, I specifically said that I heard from fellow players who had made it. So, who is the dumb one? Certainly not I. NCSoft will not be getting anymore of my money.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by Cyborg99

WoW makes more money then that
    Aions like the little sibling that can never match up to the older sibling (WoW)

NCsoft is the blizzard of the east. 

Just because thier games haven't been a huge hit in the West doesn't mean they aren't in th East.

Lineage 2 is a monster, with just as many people playing in the East as Blizzard has playing WoW worldwide.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Thanks but NO THANKS.

And I am sorry that you are not smart enough to read my post. I had lag IN THE VERY BEGINNING,, NOT IN PVP. That is so very very sad that a game has that much lag at level 1. Its also sad that they spent more money on HYPE than on making sure their game will run POLISHED on all ISPs in North America BEFORE THEY RELEASED IT. I also did not say that I made it past 25, I specifically said that I heard from fellow players who had made it. So, who is the dumb one? Certainly not I. NCSoft will not be getting anymore of my money.

You know, the problem you are describing is a problem that many people had during one of the beta events. I myself even had the exact same issue after the closed beta events had gone so well.. I also remember people indicating that it had something to do with the internet provider. The game was actually unplayable. But the only time I knew of a large amount of people who had this probblem was during the beta event.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

NEWSFLASH, FUNCOMS profits soared with the sales of AOC, and Mythics profits soared with the sales of over 1million+ boxes.  Sales of boxes dont mean JACK SHIT.  bloody hell any games can sell, its about player retention and overall active playerbase of a game.  Not a fucuking box sold.  Im sure mythic and Funcom will tell you their games were hugelly sucessful with the sales they had.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by Demz2

NEWSFLASH, FUNCOMS profits soared with the sales of AOC, and Mythics profits soared with the sales of over 1million+ boxes.  Sales of boxes dont mean JACK SHIT.  bloody hell any games can sell, its about player retention and overall active playerbase of a game.  Not a fucuking box sold.  Im sure mythic and Funcom will tell you their games were hugelly sucessful with the sales they had.

Sounds like you're VERY upset that Aion is doing well?

Im gonna go out on a limb and say your Zorn's roommate IRL :D

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by Cammy

How is it upset?  Im stating a fact.  that both Funcom and mythic sold im boxes.  What did that equate to in retention rate and subscribers?  Im taking a guess aoc active playerbase is at 100k , and warhammers is even less than that.  Sales of boxes dont mean crap.. Do you understand that? 

Originally posted by Cammy

How is it upset?  Im stating a fact.  that both Funcom and mythic sold im boxes.  What did that equate to in retention rate and subscribers?  Im taking a guess aoc active playerbase is at 100k , and warhammers is even less than that.  Sales of boxes dont mean crap.. Do you understand that? 

Oh I understand it.

I just LOVE your nerd rage when you see someone defending Aion. Its.... funny to me.

So I'll continue to watch you freak out more and more as Aion continues to grow... cause - apparently it was "told" that the servers would be ghost towns after the first month and people needed to resub...  and ironically... Im on a low pop server and its BOOMING with people. I know other servers are the same

Do you understand that? We aren't laughing with you, we're laughing at you ;)

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Well, I'm sorry that you seem to be so unhappy and angry about the game. The fact that you had performance problems though does not mean that everyone else did and while some did have similar problems the vast majority did not. It may not have been your PC but it wasn't entirely the fault of the game either.

You state they should have spent their money on polishing the game instead of on hype. What money did they spend on hype? Other than throwing out a random accusation based on no facts how do you arrive at the conclusion that your problems are the result of NCSoft West spending all the development money for pizzas and beers instead of worrying about you or polishing the game?

If you feel poorly treated and don't want to do business with NCSoft then that is what you should do but your experiences are not what myself and many others have experienced. I'm sorry that you are so very very sad.

• DarkogieDarkogie Member Posts: 81

Thanks but NO THANKS.

WoW, do you even know what your talking about?

1) The lag you had was from one of the "hops" you're internet takes to send infomation to the game servers. It happens to most MMO's from time to time. I had the same problem the first day cause of a bad "hop" in washington DC. Once I was rerouted I didn't have a problem. Want to blame someone for that? Blame the cheap teleco's. Our internet infostructure lags behind eurpoe and asia.

2) PVP at 15? At 15 you should still be in the newbie zone. The first zone that you should see "rifting" or pvp is at 19+.

3) I wouldn't listen to those "fellow" players ever again. They gave you bad infomation and now you look like a fool for repeating that bad infomation.

Originally posted by Darkogie

Thanks but NO THANKS.

3) I wouldn't listen to those "fellow" players ever again. They gave you bad infomation and now you look like a fool for repeating that bad infomation.

Isn't that the truth...

Who thinks MMOGIRL is Zorn? :D

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by solareus

Can Someone show me where that is on this chart ? www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview
    NcSoft is losing money  and has been in decline since octobober, the only spike they had was before launch, before pre-orders. The truth of the matte ris after Aions lack luster sale margians , ncsoft is not doing well.  Great fluff article though, way to keep the spirits high for a title that is losing more subscriptions then Vanguard at launch.
    Here is another chart www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ncscf Again, they have been in decline for over a month now. The stock only oprogressed to 40% in the release date and already has dropped back down to 0%.  I'm baffled at how anyone can take any of Ncsoft's P.R. tactics seriously. All the information is online....

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before, but, Janis did NOT write that song.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Good for them?  Wake up people.. just because people buy the game doesn't make it a good one.... I"m one of the sorry suckers that figured I would give it a shot, since I'm getting bored with wow ...... I cancelled Aion after only a month of play.. The game is a lame PvP grind.. NO THANKS..   I bet I'm one of thousands that bought the game but are NO LONGER subscribing to it...  I guess I have to wait for the next game to come out..  AION failed

• BolshevikftwBolshevikftw Member Posts: 6

It isn't surprising they are up 836% based on the fact they were barely making a profit before the launch of Aion.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by glofish

Originally posted by supbro
    Just relaying some fantastic news about the success of Aion in the West ;)))

Good for them! Thumbs up for a great polished product.

PS - for those of you who come here to bash it - try not to choke on this news - there are so many games still out there that could be bashed.

This must really upset some folks...muahahaha

Happy to see Aion doing well! :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Good for them?  Wake up people.. just because people buy the game doesn't make it a good one.... I"m one of the sorry suckers that figured I would give it a shot, since I'm getting bored with wow ...... I cancelled Aion after only a month of play.. The game is a lame PvP grind.. NO THANKS..   I bet I'm one of thousands that bought the game but are NO LONGER subscribing to it...  I guess I have to wait for the next game to come out..  AION failed

lol You feel better now? You sir...fail :-) Don't you have some cake to eat?

"I play Tera for the gameplay"