Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age Origins Anyone?

12346»

Comments

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Persephassa

I may get it after I play the heck out of Mass Effect 2. While it sounds like a good game, I don't really like that it lacks any multiplayer. Even NWN 1 & 2 had multiplayer.

Mass Effect won't have myltiplayer so why not play DAO?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by Syncrosonix

Originally posted by BizkitNL

No problems here on the PC version. Yay for me?

same here. yay for us!

as for the game itself, i absolutely hate the combat, and the script commands. i was hoping/wishing for the same combat mechanics of mass effect. no, i wasn't expecting laser beams, pewpewpewpew.

anyway, i rolled a male rogue city elf.

the other problem i'm having is that i can't seem to take my own screenshots. i'm running this game on a kickass laptop where i have to hold down the function key along with print screen. i can take screen shots on other games. it just has a problem with this game, mass effect, and the witcher.

Most people are saying caster combat is the best (early on) due to the wide selection of skills. I'm currently playing a champion/zerker. Starting out skills did come slow and it was a bit boring spamming the same skills, not to far from then it started picking up pace Now my bar is full of skills, and my interest in the combat has sky rocketed. It's a fun game, it's not a game you start out in as a all powerful warrior knocking peoples heads off with your shield or gouging peoples eyes out. You start out young, stupid and weak. Which imo was the right move for a game like this.

Im kinda of happy with just having like 1 or 2 skills I spam to start with. More time to watch the kick ass animations.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by tvalentine

controls are clunky, the game sometimes cant figure out if i want to move my character or move my camera. Rogues are still shitty and can barely dodge. Gonna restart the game with a different class, if it wasnt for an amazing story i might be upset about my purchase.
    EDIT: also after playing NWN2 i feel very underwhelmed at the amount of class and skill choices there were. I dunno ... the game from an rpg standpoint just feels underwhelming altogether, i'll have more of an idea of how it is when i level up some more...

update from my last post.

Got used to the controls, so they arent as clunky as i originally though. I kept my rogue to figure out they still suck in the later game. Doesnt help that bioware isnt looking to fixing some bug with daggers either. I'm over the lack of classes for now, figure i will be starting over as warrior next run through. Also i am very surprised that rogues dodge half way decently... something that changed after awhile of play.

Some other things i noticed as well though was that the loading times are ridiculously long. I swear some of them take longer then 5 minutes. Although i have a feeling its because i'm on my laptop atm... but even still i have never run into any other game with as long of load times as DAO on my laptop. Also i'm not a fan of certain story/plot choices. I would list them but i dont wanna give out any spoilers.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• I'm still early in the game (my elf mage is level 8). Here's a summary of my observations so far:

PROs

- Good story-telling, generally speaking

- Lots of depth in the setting

- Good character advancement system

- Good rules mechanics for combat (special abilities, stamina, etc)

- Neat animations, especially on some killing blows

CONs

- Clunky/limited camera can be frustrating in combat

- AI, despite having customisation options, is quite dumb - fortunately it can be disabled completely

- Story at times predictable and forced

- Crashes once in a while (at least on my PC)

Camera annoyances are probably the biggest flaw here, and tends to put a dampener on the excitement on many of the fights. Overall, at least for me, the pros are outweighing the cons. If we compare to Neverwinter Nights 2, I'd say it has worse camera issues, but a better story and a better combat system. The first Neverwinter Nights was sort of opposite of DA: O. Combat wasn't annoying, but the story wasn't as good. I think Mass Effect got the best of both worlds - excellent control during combat and excellent story with meaningful choices.

DA: O to me so far is on the same level as the original Neverwinter Nights. Certainly a good game, but not their best. I think having a more fixed camera setting and having the game designed around that would have done a great deal for this game. Having to constantly tinker with the camera takes away from what's otherwise excellent tactical party-based combat. I think somewhat recent RPGs like Mass Effect (also from BioWare of course) and The Witcher were better games overall, based on what I've played of DA:O so far, as they managed great story-telling without intrusive interface issues. Difference of course is those games aren't party based, but Baldur's Gate was and this wasn't an issue there.

I'd recommend this game to any RPG fan, but at the same time, at least based on playing the heck out of it this weekend, I don't agree with the reviews praising it to the skies. It's a good game, but it's not without flaws.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

I... killed all the elves...

: D

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

Theres 3 flaws in this otherwise flawless game in my opinion, although only 1 is a major flaw. 

The camera is the major flaw and it is really annoying, if you use it in top down view the camera angle i find is really bad, it doesn't zoom out enough for my liking, so half the time when im in combat i just goto a 3rd person view to better see the combat field. 

The other flaw i've only noticed while playing as a dwarf actually, once in awhile the screen goes black and you can't see anything, so you have to go back to the main menu and then resume and it works again.

Only other thing that sometimes gets annoying are the amount of cutscenes compared to actually exploring or doing combat, i like RPG's but there is a fine line to being immersive to being bored by all the cutscenes, and this will annoy some people.

Apart from those 3 things i mentioned above, the game is everything its cracked up to be. 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Axxar

CONs
    - Crashes once in a while (at least on my PC

That probably is an issue with your specific PC, I've been playing it without crashes myself :)
  • Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

very nice game and very well programmed.  Havent come across many glitches or bugs yet and have only crashed once.

The story (as usual) is just plain epic and the combat is quite fun but crist...this game is hard.  I've had to flick it down to easy for one or two fights so far because they were just brutal.  I think once i have someone who is able to craft a steady stream of potions or someone who can heal i might be able to keep it on medium all the time.

Playing a Dwarf Rogue incase anyone was interested.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Death1942

very nice game and very well programmed.  Havent come across many glitches or bugs yet and have only crashed once.

The story (as usual) is just plain epic and the combat is quite fun but crist...this game is hard.  I've had to flick it down to easy for one or two fights so far because they were just brutal.  I think once i have someone who is able to craft a steady stream of potions or someone who can heal i might be able to keep it on medium all the time.

Playing a Dwarf Rogue incase anyone was interested.

yeah, i've had that problem for some of the fights. with shale and my mabari dog in the party, the dps is sweet! instead of cranking out the better healing potions, i make a shit ton of the lesser kind. they take less ingredients and are more easy to make.

how or when do i get to specialize in a talent? i'm a city elf rogue and would like to go with duelist or assassin. i have one point and cannot spend it. also, most of my party members are sliding off to the negative side of things. the only one in my whole group that really, really, really likes me is my mabari war dog. shale is also a bit on the friendly side, too.

when i make another toon, i'm going with a shape shifting mage. morrigan's shifting is fucking awesome! yeah, i finally nailed the combat. it's been such a long time since i've played through KOTOR 1 and 2 that i've forgotten that i NEED to pause the game at the beginning of some crucial fights, and i NEED to closely monitor what's going on during them.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

The forced story and cutscenes are such a drag to an otherwise decent RPG.

I don't like the facade they put up, though, when saying your choices really matter. You still get funneled into their set path down the line.

It may be the best thing to someone whose first RPG was Oblivion or something - but meh. Not that impressed to be honest.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by uohaloran

The forced story and cutscenes are such a drag to an otherwise decent RPG.
    I don't like the facade they put up, though, when saying your choices really matter. You still get funneled into their set path down the line.
    It may be the best thing to someone whose first RPG was Oblivion or something - but meh. Not that impressed to be honest.

Actually that's not exactly true. Yes, the story has to end up in certain places but I've been playing through some of the alternate plot points and it's quite interesting as to how many changes can not only be wrought in the smaller stories but also the final story that apparently we are given at the end. The Epilogue that is.

I've been looking over other players' eqilogues and some of the outcomes are very different. Not only that but making decisions within smaller quests also change things. Heck, the Romance options will also change things.

Plus I have to respond to the player who didn't like the cut scenes. I really think they are great. It makes the whole thing far more cinematic as far as framing shots or panning. I personally think they add quite a lot to the whole feel of the game. And they lend an actual voice to the npc's with fully fleshed out personalities. I know some people will say that it should be up to them to imagine these persons but I find it rather refreshing to have the npc's that I'm addressing to be something more than a wall of text.  Especially the endearing armor shop manager and armorer. And I realize some don't like the Queen Anora but quite frankly she is my favorite character. heck, I worked with a very beautiful woman who could easily have been the actress to that character. She was quite warm and a bit baudy but when it came to business it was always about business. Seeing a character like that really rang true to me.

On top of that there are so many little things. Like a rather scary/creepy portion where you can see through the eyes of the demon or the seemingly mundane npc guard who, when he dies, shouts his last words "I'm sorry I couldn't live to see the ending".

Or how one character in the mage story (if you play a mage) will come back in the game true to his character if you play another class.

Like any story (that is not experimental or avante garde) there is a beginning, middle and end. Games like this allow us to experience that story and yet allow us to change the little things. And in the case of Dragon Age, given some of the Epilogies I've seen, some major things as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • leknihleknih Member UncommonPosts: 12

This game is exactly what i wanted.  I have not been this immersed in a game since KOTOR.  While the cut scenes may be a bit  long, and at times I get a bit bored, overall I enjoy them.  

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and have only crashed one time while alt-tabbing.  Performance is solid on my mid range system.

I rolled a dwarf rogue this time through.  I'm definitely going magic on my next attempt.  

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Originally posted by greymann

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by Irish

I'm wondering if I should get the ps3 or PC version. I know once Left 4 Dead 2 comes out, my gf will bitchslap me out of my desk chair. Then again, I do love my PC. I should just bite the bullet. Now the questions are digital version or retail box? CE or standard edition? Oh noes...

Cripes, there are some solid games coming out. Probably my favorite year of games in a long time.
    I'm still playing Fallen Earth, Uncharted 2, Way of the Samurai 3, and Oblivion: GOTY for ps3 (never ran right on my pc). I am having gamer overload.

Gamer overload is correct. My friends and I were talking about that today. Between Borderlands,Dragon Age, Oblivion, Left 4 Dead 2 and Mass Effect 2 its like madness in a good way. We're poor but we're happy gamers though! 

Tried some dragon age... seems like they're basically just finally getting their older games right with some upgrades and decent new features from other successful games.  The story seems like it's going to be great but not sure what this has for someone looking for something new.  I still think Risen offers the most as far as great fun and some innovation although you could also say that they're finally gettong gothic right.

Risen did not really do it for me.  Will have to give it another go around.

• menasuremenasure Member Posts: 75

hmm EA logo. does this mean it has the dreaded Securom security? i still have nightmares from the last time i removed it from my pc :p

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297
    Originally posted by menasure

hmm EA logo. does this mean it has the dreaded Securom security? i still have nightmares from the last time i removed it from my pc :p

EA really loves their SecuROM.  They aren't the only ones as GTA4 also uses it.  If they are going to force this malware on me, the least they could do is let me play the game(s) without the disk in the drive.

I have read though that there is a class action lawsuit currently against EA and SecuROM.  Hopefully, they will win so this crapware can be removed.  SecuROM doesn't stop piracy, it just annoys those of us who legitimately pay for a game.

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

I'm playing this game right now, and I'm loving it. It's like a combination of Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. For some reason, it kind of reminds me of WoW also, but mostly because of the camera. The graphics are beautiful, combat system is awesome, and the storyline seems interesting.