Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2»

Comments

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

The game died four years ago.  Actually, more like four and a half years ago, when they abandoned the concept of "living a life in the Star Wars Universe" for "we need to beat WoW".  The NGE just further solidified the trend that was already obvious with the CU, where they imposed the inyourface level system on us.

Even if they brought back preCU, I doubt if the community could be reconstituted.  The chemistry of the community was lighting in a bottle, and Smedley smashed it to get at the shiny objects inside and cash them in.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by madeux

What you dont understand is that there are only 12 of you.  That would make for a really empty server...

Ha, that made me actually laugh out loud. 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Noforatu

You have no idea how often i go on a rant to my friends about how SOE screwed up such a perfect game.  Everyone i know who has actually played it says the same and we seem to be the only people who can talk up a game so well to those who haven't played it.  Friends still ask me about how it used to be and how great it sounds.  Well that's because it was a great game and still to this date the best MMO i have ever played and probably will remain the best I have ever played for a long time.

It was a great game until the change but that is long gone. All the cry and whine that STILL pollutes this site are just annoying.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by kobie173

If I had to guess, I'd say they CAN'T open a pre-NGE server, since they are likely contractually prevented from doing so.

I think you are partially correct here and SOE is not allowed to open up classic servers or any major change to swg like that.

However I don't think it is in the contract, I think Lucas Arts has heard enough excuses from soe about how "This will give SWG more subs if we do this". 

SOE has had 3 chances to make a functional game that would retain players and they have failed each time.  Every time they put one of their brainstorms into action it actually hurts the game and causes more negative press for lucas arts.  In essence I wouldn't give soe the authority to do shit if I was in lucas arts position.  

It is painfully clear that soe has lost the ability to make games and they just don't have the first clue anymore.  Even if lucas arts was stupid enough to green light such a project soe would foul it up in a hurry and I'm not even talking about their RMT antics, but just the basic operation of the game.  Soe has a hard enough time putting a simple holiday in the game without screwing it up, so there is no reason to believe they could do anything that requires real effort and talent.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

soe understands there trying to kill swg they have been since NGE rolled in there empty heads. they killed off matrix online now they are getting swg ready. then after swg they will kill vanguard or pirates the burning sea until only SOE brand is left "Everquest,freerealms ect.

FreeRealms is already dead. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by kobie173

If I had to guess, I'd say they CAN'T open a pre-NGE server, since they are likely contractually prevented from doing so.

I think you are partially correct here and SOE is not allowed to open up classic servers or any major change to swg like that.

However I don't think it is in the contract, I think Lucas Arts has heard enough excuses from soe about how "This will give SWG more subs if we do this". 

SOE has had 3 chances to make a functional game that would retain players and they have failed each time.  Every time they put one of their brainstorms into action it actually hurts the game and causes more negative press for lucas arts.  In essence I wouldn't give soe the authority to do shit if I was in lucas arts position.  

It is painfully clear that soe has lost the ability to make games and they just don't have the first clue anymore.  Even if lucas arts was stupid enough to green light such a project soe would foul it up in a hurry and I'm not even talking about their RMT antics, but just the basic operation of the game.  Soe has a hard enough time putting a simple holiday in the game without screwing it up, so there is no reason to believe they could do anything that requires real effort and talent.

THIS!

I don't think we'll ever see "classic" servers. Not now, not when ToR is released, not ever.

Lucas Arts has invested millions in to ToR development...does anyone actually believe they'll allow BOTH games to co-exist? Not a chance...that would be like selling Coke and Pepsi. I think LA is likely the biggest reason we haven't seen an expansion since ToOW.

If you step back, I think it's clear to see how SWG has been being phased out for months (if not years) now (cutting and transferring staff without replacing them, no expansions, rushed content, the TCG) . It's nothing more than a business move. SoE failed to deliver, Bioware gets their chance. LA's doesn't want SWG cutting into the profits they'll make off of ToR, they simply have too much invested. SWG comes with far too much baggage and will never be half the game ToR will be. Bioware has done everything right so far...SoE has done nothing right.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

wait what it's not dead how do you come up with such bogus idea. games is still packed with players. everywhere i go theres players around. can't stand it when people come up with false claims. also you mean dying not dead. dead mmo is one that has servers shut down no longer running. if i'm bleeding internal but breathing i'm dying but if i'm blue and not breathing thats dead. freerealms might be dying slowly but not DEAD lol.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by TUX426 . SWG comes with far too much baggage and will never be half the game ToR will be. Bioware has done everything right so far...SoE has done nothing right.

I suspect there are those who might disagree with your assertion here, and while TOR has promise (as all non-released games do) only time will tell whether the game will be fun and entertaining.

(and I'm willing to bet it won't be the SWG Pre-NGE replacement that fans of the original are looking for)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tsuktstsukts Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Originally posted by Securion

Im sorry to break this to you guys but... SWG looks like shit. Its old and no matter what sandbox mechanics you put into that game NOONE will play it, except you idiots who havent moved on to EVE by now.

Have to chime in here. Eve does not even come close to SWG pre cu IMO. Eve is a space wallpaper chat messenger game on it's good days and like watching paint dry otherwise.

made me lol and i agree with him. old SWG > EVE any day >,< well again, its peoples taste of a game.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Kyle ran

Originally posted by TUX426 . SWG comes with far too much baggage and will never be half the game ToR will be. Bioware has done everything right so far...SoE has done nothing right.

I suspect there are those who might disagree with your assertion here, and while TOR has promise (as all non-released games do) only time will tell whether the game will be fun and entertaining.

(and I'm willing to bet it won't be the SWG Pr-NGE replacement that fans of the original are looking for)

Meh, some people think the moon landing was a hoax too. ;) 

You're right, ToR will NOT BE pre-NGE in any form. ToR is NOT (and has never been sold or marketed as) an SWG like game. ToR will be like any of the previous KotoR games, but online...that is ALL anyone should/can expect from it.

What I meant by that statement is that Bioware is investing the resources, investing the time, investing the $$$, going the extra mile, finding original SWG Devs, marketing the crap outta the game, doing interviews, doing research, asking the community, giving weekly updates...in short, everything I could hope for in the development of a game has been done so far. There are no deadlines, no pending book releases, no Holiday to force the early release of ToR. They (Bioware) have been very noncommittal on most things and I hope they don't rush the release for any reason. We want the game...we just want it done right more.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by TUX426

There are no deadlines, no pending book releases, no Holiday to force the early release of ToR. They (Bioware) have been very noncommittal on most things and I hope they don't rush the release for any reason. We want the game...we just want it done right more.

just because they dont announce them doesnt mean they are not there. i understand people getting all euphoric about bioware and swtor but lets put things into perspective.

i believe they do have, like any if not most funded projects deadlines to meet on all levels.

what i also believe tho is that they do have a history of reasonable release dates and their games are shipped with an acceptable level of polish; so as much can be expected.

• stinneystinney Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by madeux

What you dont understand is that there are only 12 of you.  That would make for a really empty server...

Thats still 10 more than are playing NGE at the moment.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by blueshadow

I  heavily edited my post here as what I originally wrote is something I deeply regret.
    I was a disgrunted vet that returned to the game and found it to be a solid and interesting game, and I find myself having the same enthusiasm for SWG now as I had before NGE.
    It's all a matter of taste obviously. I  can only speak for myself and I like the taste of it today, even if it is different. And I  am quite sure that for new players, or those capable of leaving the past behind, they will find the game both unique and interesting compared to many other games out there. Well worth a try.

While I respect your honesty and am happy you found a game you enjoy, I have to wonder why you made your original post, apparently before you gave the "new" version an honest try.  This seems to support what present players often claim about vets- that they mostly condemn present-form SWG without even trying it, letting their "hatred" of SOE cloud all judgment.

(Yes, I know I'm about to be flamed raw)

I've tried several times over the years to return and simply find the game shallow and boring, admittedly because I cannot shelve my memories of what the game used to be (I have tried).  So you are a better man than I in that regard.  The game in its present form has run longer than preNGE, despite almost weekly (used to be daily) predictions of  imminent closure, which says something positive about the game.

Good luck and enjoy.

Originally posted by Pcgamer81

wait what it's not dead how do you come up with such bogus idea. games is still packed with players. everywhere i go theres players around. can't stand it when people come up with false claims. also you mean dying not dead. dead mmo is one that has servers shut down no longer running. if i'm bleeding internal but breathing i'm dying but if i'm blue and not breathing thats dead. freerealms might be dying slowly but not DEAD lol.

Free realms cannot even fill up 1 server after FIVE million people have tried the game.  There are 9 dead servers and one that is lackluster.  That is pretty much the worst release in mmo history.  I bet SWG has more subscribers than free realms does. 

Soe is already changing the "free to play" model into a full blown subscriber only model.  Companies don't do such things unless there is a problem.

Free realms is effectively dead as far as mmos go.  It will get stuck on soe life support as all of their undead games do.  Long past the point where they should have closed.