Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Risen or Dragon Age

EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Any one who owns both, can you give me a idea as to Wich to buy first? Want both, at some point. But ive seen lots of things that make me say this will Rock and Meeh on both games...

Seen the hype enough to not care about that. Which has better Quests, Story's (Main and Sub), Better World Ect. Ect.

Just looking for Oppinions here :)

And if you have one and Wish you had the Other. Why?

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
—Samuel Adams

Comments

• TryggviTryggvi Member Posts: 83

Which did you like better, the Gothik series or the NWN series?  If you prefer Gothik, you should get Risen.  If you prefer NWN, you should get Dragon Age Origins. 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Tryggvi

Which did you like better, the Gothik series or the NWN series?  If you prefer Gothik, you should get Risen.  If you prefer NWN, you should get Dragon Age Origins. 

Humm +1 for Risen ;p

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• TryggviTryggvi Member Posts: 83

No problem dude.   Personally I am a little disappointed in the linear aspect of Dragon Age.  I was hoping for an advanced Baldur's Gate 2.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Bioware is not really making games lately, but rather interactive movies. Dragon Age is exactly like Mass Effect. Lot's of man hours wasted on facial expressions instead of real choices made during them. Risen is a real action RPG. More choices, less linear world (pretty much all open to explore right at start), better graphics, more fluid.

There're two more options btw: Divinity: Ego Draconis - which is fantastic action RPG - sequel to Divine Divinity, and there's also Drakensang which is also a german-made RPG - very much like Neverwinter 2, but done right (good camera movement, better controls, nicer graphics).

REALITY CHECK

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Get Dragon Age, you won't be disspointed. Risen is good too, along with Drakensang, But I think Dragon Age is the superior game, it goes back to the old BG2 style of combat with a balanced party and pausing to assign actions, which I really like. But unless you play it on easy mode, you HAVE to micromanage all the party members during combat or you will die horribly. So if that is not your cup of tea, I would suggest a different game, like Risen which is more first person action oriented.

Originally posted by ghettobooste

Get Dragon Age, you won't be disspointed. Risen is good too, along with Drakensang, But I think Dragon Age is the superior game, it goes back to the old BG2 style of combat with a balanced party and pausing to assign actions, which I really like. But unless you play it on easy mode, you HAVE to micromanage all the party members during combat or you will die horribly. So if that is not your cup of tea, I would suggest a different game, like Risen which is more first person action oriented.

Thats good to know... +1 for Dragon. Never even thought about Extra people. Sure they are in the cinamas but in most games lately they only show up for boss fights. I got a Mod for Fallout 3 that lets me have 7 people :P

So big party ftw.

Can you have a party in Risen?

—Samuel Adams

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

I'm not familiar with Risen yet but haven't been able to obtain Dragon Age.

Since I'm unsure of Risen's modding capabilities or lack thereof I'm going to give a nod towards Dragon Age.

(Even though Mass Effect did dissapoint me but Bioware did give Sci-Fi fans a choice and I'm glad for them)

You'll have the modding community concentrated on Dragon Age and pushing out even more content. 

With at least one Ossian member concentrating on Dragon Age, could be more for all I know, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out from them.

All games eventually have a twilight but I'm looking forward even in the declining days of the modding scene.  It feels like a twilight anyhow with Bioware forgoing muliplayer this time around.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

When in doubt: Buy both!

Seriously though, I have only played DA:O. I kinda read about Risen's technical issues (Or so they claim) and voted against it.

I can honestly say I feel I made the right choice. DA:O is sucking me in like the games did in the old days. Good times.

Well the Really Good Mods are a good 6 months away. by then if lucky ill have both ;p

But It is nice to see people talking about Mods. Best part of the PC Market is the fans

—Samuel Adams

• mmofan2112mmofan2112 Member Posts: 38

I have been playing Dragon Age with the Nvidia 3d Glasses and 120hz monitor and omg, it is beyond description. Just picture crawling inside your monitor. 

As for the game, so far I can say it lives up to all the sky high ratings it has received. The story line is  simply amazing and the game play is incredible. 

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

Nice, I have the glasses also but have not yet tried Dragon age, will have to give it a go

On an Mmo point, I have tried loads of them with glasses and have found spooky enough that Warhammer is by far the best  working with 3d vision

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

they are different kinds of rpgs.

dragon age comes from knights of republic, baldurs gate, neverwinter nights etc...

while risen comes from the open-world rpgs like oblivion, two worlds and ofcourse gothic (risen is made by the same creators like gothic as well).

if you like one of these types of rpgs better than the other then ofcourse you should choose what you want more :]

though id recommend dragon age.

• ryuanesharyuanesha Member Posts: 3

They are both great games, but DA:O is what I would prefer. Risen is more action oriented as DA:O is more strategy and micromanaging. Risen is fairly open and both can be extremely difficult. DA:O is overall better, but don't skip over Risen.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Well the Really Good Mods are a good 6 months away. by then if lucky ill have both ;p
    But It is nice to see people talking about Mods. Best part of the PC Market is the fans

Perhaps.  Bioware has been working with the community since before launch in order to help gain further understanding with the toolset.

The NWN2 community was worried if the toolset would be complicated though and if the same fate would befall Bioware's game as Obsidian's.

Either way, I do agree it's good to talk about community and mods. 

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth