Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Dragon Age was an MMO... my God!

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Gamesmith

I'm really enjoying Dragon Age thus far... though I'm not far into it. I also need to start over because I misread a talent requirement and screwed up my skill point allotment :(
    Not sure if this has been covered, if not I'm sure I'll take some fire for it, but the game handles IDENTICALLY to WoW. The interface, quest system, default keybinds, quest system, all the same. You can even press both mouse buttons down to move forward. It's pretty much a WoW/Baldurs Gate hybrid game where you control you whole party instead of a single character.
    If they were to make it an MMO the setting would be amazing, as would the style. However, the rest, unless they allowed for each player to have a full party, would be identical to WoW.
    Sorry to say it, but it's true. Dragon Age is a great game, but World of Warcrafts' influence should be obvious to anyone who's played it.

Wow Copied its UI and controls from Everquests

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Sorry, but I think a Mass Effect MMO would be better :-P!

Genre needs more sci-fi options....

But I do <3 dragon age

Uhh... what?

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74

I'm really enjoying Dragon Age thus far... though I'm not far into it. I also need to start over because I misread a talent requirement and screwed up my skill point allotment :(
    Not sure if this has been covered, if not I'm sure I'll take some fire for it, but the game handles IDENTICALLY to WoW. The interface, quest system, default keybinds, quest system, all the same. You can even press both mouse buttons down to move forward. It's pretty much a WoW/Baldurs Gate hybrid game where you control you whole party instead of a single character.
    If they were to make it an MMO the setting would be amazing, as would the style. However, the rest, unless they allowed for each player to have a full party, would be identical to WoW.
    Sorry to say it, but it's true. Dragon Age is a great game, but World of Warcrafts' influence should be obvious to anyone who's played it.

Cmon man half of the games out there have a similar, if not identical, UI / control system.  It means they ALL copied from WoW? 

I'm happily seeing nothing even remotely similar to WoW with DA, or I probably wouldn't have bought it, and definitely would have not liked playing it.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Ok, fine. But then there goes your persistence.
    Grouped, the Dragon is alive. Ungroup, the Dragon is dead. Group, the Dragon is not dead. Ungroup, the Dragon is dead again.
    I don't see how that's a lot different than the Dragon respawns after you kill it, because it's essentially respawning after you group.

It gives the choice to the player.

My world is persistent unless I choose otherwise (by helping someone else).

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • quitmoaningquitmoaning Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by GPrestige

So I've been playing Dragon Age for a little while now. The game is absolutely amazing. I can't even describe how awesome it is. It is perfect as a single player game, too... but if they (one day) made an MMO exactly like this, it would be unstoppable.
    For any of you who love MMOs, and haven't played this yet, try it out and I'm sure you'd agree. It has every aspect of the perfect MMO. It'd take too long for me to describe anything, but I'd like to hear from others who have tried it. What do you think? Do you think if they made an MMO like this (obviously they'd have to tweak it a little), but I mean even if the quest system was like it is in Dragon Age, it'd be awesome.

Anyone else agree?

Yeah .. it is a good game. Thus, i expect TOR to be as amazing as DA.

This has been my feeling aswell, if DA had proved to be as good as Bioware hoped then it would bode very well for SWTOR and it's story centric gameplay.

As someone who is currently embrolied within the DA adventure I am even more excited about the release of SWTOR, Bioware have produced a top notch gaming experience and will probably use lessons learned from DA within SWTOR.

As for the age old argument that story = solo well if thats the case all those that think that way can walk on by the shelf holding a copy of SWTOR and leave the rest of us who enjoy becoming engrossed within a damn good story to enjoy the game.

• GamesmithGamesmith Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Anarchist420

Cmon man half of the games out there have a similar, if not identical, UI / control system.  It means they ALL copied from WoW? 

I'm happily seeing nothing even remotely similar to WoW with DA, or I probably wouldn't have bought it, and definitely would have not liked playing it.

Honestly, it's not a bad thing that they copied what they've copied because it's tried and true. The control scheme being instantly familiar to millions of players is a great design decision.

That said, if you don't see the similarities, then you're being willfully blind. Speaking from a totally unbiased perspective, were this an MMO, this board would be flooded by people accusing it of being a WoW clone. 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It has much more in common with Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights than WoW. I know it's the thing to do now to compare everything to WoW but this game really isn't. If you have played other Bioware games you would recognize the similarity right away (other than Mass Effect which was a departure for them imo).

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138

So I got a ps3 and a PC.  My pc meets the recommended specs except for the 3 gig ram in vista, I have 2.  Should I get the ps3 or PC version and what do you think the major differences between the 2 are?

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

• deviladventdeviladvent Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Lockerz

1st post just to say "Good Game"

ah man these bitches start spamming again..even in game forums now. check insurgen.info/wiki/Operation_Lockerz for more info... Lockerz my ass ! !

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

only thing that would make this game a bit better is an online mode where you can play with your friends through the story. play with pets er companions or play with real people ... i would choose real people anyday.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The exact question would be "what aspects would you want to see as MMO". No single player game can just be made a MMO. I think the most important part which I would want in a MMO is the story telling.

You have a different start as Dalish or City Elf, as Mage or Dwarf, and THAT is what I surely would see reflected in a MMO, that your race and class has influence all the way through, that decisions come back to you and not that generic rubbish of MMOs of our days. Thats what I hope to see in SWTOR, so I guess Dragon Age does show quit a bit of what SWTOR will have. And I love the idea. My idea of a MMO always was like I experience my evening in my Pen and Paper group. Everyone reacts to you. I am playing a City Elf, and so far DA really plays well with my background. That is what I wanna see in MMOs. The setting, fantasy, sci-fi is arbitrary to me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666

I've only played Dragon Age for about 5 hours so far, but I highly doubt this game would make a successful MMORPG. This game is as popular as it is right now because it is a single player RPG. It simply isn't designed to be an MMORPG. You cannot simply merge the two and create a good, successful game

I do, however, agree with an earlier poster who suggested this game might be great as a small co-op game. However, I think a lot of the fun is the fact that you are controlling up to 4 characters at a time in some fights that are against unmeasurable odds. I believe some of this fun would wear off if it were simply 4 real players playing independently together (if that makes sense :P). This game is a lot like chess... it's a great game the way it is, requiring a lot of strategy and (sometimes) quick thinking, but it's not a game that would be as fun if you had multiple people arguing about whose tactics are better for the given situation.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. Us MMORPG gamers are jaded already... we don't need to ruin a great single player game by turning it into another free-month MMO (where we play for the free month and then move on).

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I think the key here is to understand the difference between turning the game into an MMO and making an MMO based on the game world.

A single player game system will not translate well into an MMO. However the game world of Dragon Age could make an excellent MMO.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

While this is a good game, i think people are overhyping it lol.  At that same time it seems there were a group of people so desperate for a new game they couldn't contain their excitement.

Anyways i'm having fun with it, people are having issues with it crashing and such, sounds like a typical mmo launch lol.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

So I've been playing Dragon Age for a little while now. The game is absolutely amazing. I can't even describe how awesome it is. It is perfect as a single player game, too... but if they (one day) made an MMO exactly like this, it would be unstoppable.
    For any of you who love MMOs, and haven't played this yet, try it out and I'm sure you'd agree. It has every aspect of the perfect MMO. It'd take too long for me to describe anything, but I'd like to hear from others who have tried it. What do you think? Do you think if they made an MMO like this (obviously they'd have to tweak it a little), but I mean even if the quest system was like it is in Dragon Age, it'd be awesome.

Anyone else agree?

Great thread ! I dont know if anyone has noticed this , but it could be the best hope ?

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/993/993414p1.html   .... maybe ?

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Originally posted by summitus

Anyone else agree?

Great thread ! I dont know if anyone has noticed this , but it could be the best hope ?

Yeah i seen that, unfortunately Cryptic will butcher the title...Bioware should be making it if they really wanted it to be successful...

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483

I've been considering getting this game to have something for those times when my ISP fogs up, which they have done a lot lately.

I've seen some good reviews from the game, but reading this thread made up my mind.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by summitus

Anyone else agree?

Not with Cryptic making it. The game will have an amazing character creator though.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Bioware has an absolutely amazing formula when ti comes to making video games.  It is one they used in all their games from nwn to mass effect.  if you played them you know what i am talkng about.  Weather this formula will work in an MMO is still to be scene.  i think it will work,  but will be pretty solo oriented and heavily instants.  Your party members will instead be replaced by other players online>  Then throw some raids and pvp things into the mix and you got a pretty decent MMO.

• quitmoaningquitmoaning Member Posts: 31

If Blizzard could manage to turn thier single player RPG games into a world wide successful MMO why on earth can't Bioware? who have a much larger and deeper stock of RPG games to choose from, and personally speaking I believe Bioware produce much superior RPG games to than Blizzard.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by quitmoaning

If Blizzard could manage to turn thier single player RPG games into a world wide successful MMO why on earth can't Bioware? who have a much larger and deeper stock of RPG games to choose from, and personally speaking I believe Bioware produce much superior RPG games to than Blizzard.

If anything, Bioware should have an easier time of it .. they're turning an RPG (KOTOR) into an MMORPG (TOR). It's a safe bet that anyone who has previously enjoyed KOTOR will be interested in TOR.

Likewise, having played Dragons Age, I would be immediately interested if Bioware were to announce that they were working on an MMO version. Blizzard started with an RTS.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

Games like Dragon Age give me the impression that mmos are far from ready to combine rpg elements in them. I think that rpgs fit better in small online groups, like NWN with the brilliant idea of real DMs, or even in single player "worlds" since their ability to lure the player in their story is something i have missed from mmorpgs.

If Bioware believed that DA would fit in an online world maybe they would just have an online cooperative mode or something similar in order to fine tune the game before turning it into an mmorpg. However i did not miss the lack of online mode in DA for several reasons and i thinkk that games like it should be left untouched, as they are.

• KuchizakiKuchizaki Member Posts: 6
    2. Auto saves.. or lack of them, manay a times ive played for 30mins only to die and go all the way back to some other point, it shouls autosave when you "camp" IMHO.
    Other than thats its a great story.. looks like I got an assasin on my ass =D

F5 quicksave, F9 load ;o

• KalefenKalefen Member Posts: 57

No mmorpg company to date has the interest or the creative capability to take a game like Dragon Age - and make it into an mmorpg.  It's just too much beaurocracy and suits taking developers below their potential with whimsical concepts.

We have pleaded for an adult orientated mmorpg that was interested in lore - for years.  Warhammer is a great example of having a decent cash support system (Electonic Arts and ironically Bioware)....and still can't program an archer to shoot straight when a mob is ten feet away.  Your arrow just kind of flies slowly across the screen up into the air..and sadly...down on your opponent.  So who is making these games? I can't honestly believe even the movie artists that create the opening sequence for Warhammer know lore better than the developers themselves..I mean we have a dual  wielding archer who slips out of the shadows to drop two arrows into the face mask of a marauder..then hops down from a rooftop and out melees him with..2 swords. Log into the game and you have this broken class that we've made fun of or cried over since beta.

So, as an mmorpg example and one of the most INFAMOUS architypes in mmorpg genre to this day - one of the main classes considered by a paying community - is trashed by the company known as Mythic - I mean who in their right mind would destroy a money maker like an elven archer..especially in a time when Lord of the Rings has done so well..and World of Warcraft only continues to successfully evolve??

The shadow warrior has nothing to do with shadows and cannot dual wield, or even shift weapons - just like many aspects of warhammer has little to do with any of the quality of imagination you see in Dragon Age.  Even Warhammer's assassin classes have a broken stealth mechanic as opposed to say eq 2, world of warcraft, dark age of camelot..etc. etc. They even forgot the third realm like they had in Dark Age of Camelot...which was the tie breaker to boredom and locked down sieges. - End result? A few remaining servers with low to "medium" population i fact I'll check now at Sunday night a prime play night...ok Gorfang and Ironrock are Med. Population.  Logging on to see what medium pop means for end game on Gorfang in regards to /who 40:

12 Rune Priests, 9 Iron Breakers, 6 Slayers,  5 Engineers, 10 Arch Mages,  9 Sword Masters,  3 White Lions,

6 Shadow Warriors, 13 Warrior Priests, 10 Knights, 4 Witch Hunters, 12 Bright Wizards

And that's medium population.  In Dark Age of Camelot, as a side example, the servers were merged and you have almost 1,000 level 50s on any given realm (800 + to be fair)....and that game is 8 years old. 

Had to use WAR as my example since Bioware is helping them supposedly.  God, after seeing Dragon Age, I wish they'd can the folks that are holding imagination and interns back from making the game fun and to stop sabotaging it into the ground.  At least DAoC had a golden age (2002-2004)..Warhammer is already shrinking and as we see above could easily place all parties on one server and still not touch what Dark Age of Camelot has right this very moment.

/mega sigh...wtb Dragon Age the mmorpg.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Kuchizaki

2. Auto saves.. or lack of them, manay a times ive played for 30mins only to die and go all the way back to some other point, it shouls autosave when you "camp" IMHO.
    Other than thats its a great story.. looks like I got an assasin on my ass =D

F5 quicksave, F9 load ;o

But that would make death completely and utterly painless!

If the Harsh Death Penalty Crowd is to be believed, nobody could possibly enjoy Dragon Age, on this point alone!  According to them, pain makes games fun.  (Bloody masochists...)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver