Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Cinematic-RPG

JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

After playing Dragon Age:Origins for awhile I believe Bioware's innovation has created a new sub-genre of RPG, the Cinematic RPG. The story is going on all around you and you have a part to play. It's very easy to become immersed into the plot and it's a lot easier to take on the role of the character you are playing.  I believe Bioware has found something here and hope more RPG's will follow this direction.

Comments

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

You know, you may have hit on something here.  I think most of the MMO that are out today are more of a Cinimatic RPG.  They pretty much feed you the story and pass you along through the content of the game that changes as you level.

Sandbox MMO do not do this as much.  There is story out there but, you have to find it and piece it together and it is not level based.   Oh, and meant to add it is not nec4sarily paramount to the leveling expeerience.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Dragon's Lair...nuff said.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Horusra

Dragon's Lair...nuff said.

True that was the first cinematic RPG. But it was very limited because the technology wasn't there yet. All you had to do in Dragon's Lair was to hit the right button at the right time to move the story along. But yes Dragon's Lair would definitely be the first cinematic video game.

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

most of the RPGs on the consoles have a cinematic feel to it. earliest i can remember were resident evil, silent hill and parasite eve. or are you referring to completely movie-like games that just have interactivity thrown in?

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by haelikoth

most of the RPGs on the consoles have a cinematic feel to it. earliest i can remember were resident evil, silent hill and parasite eve. or are you referring to completely movie-like games that just have interactivity thrown in?

Yes, it's like you are watching a movie and the choices you make dictate which way the movie is going to go. There are 6 opening scenes in the same world with 6 different story lines. It has replayability because each time the movie will be different, at least to some degree.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Alekhin
    After playing Dragon Age:Origins for awhile I believe Bioware's innovation has created a new sub-genre of RPG, the Cinematic RPG.

Known in the fandom as "the Square-Enix RPG."