Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unreal Engine. Free.

"UDK is Unreal Engine 3 – the complete professional development framework. All the tools you need to create great games, advanced visualizations and detailed 3D simulations. The best tools in the industry are in your hands."

www.udk.com

Playing:
Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

Comments

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Wow...

Being a developer that is going to be sometime I'm going start to learn to use RIGHT NOW if this is indeed true, from the looks of which it seems to be.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Very interesting... any current MMO's that use the unreal engine?

• PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60

My thoughts exactly. I'm downloading it atm. Quite a quick download, but from what I hear it is harder to use than one thinks.

Mortal Online is the only one that comes to mind that uses the unreal 3 engine.

Playing:

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by madeux

Mortal Online

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Oh well, hard or not it's still an amazing resource to start building some stuff up for experience, not to mention it's free :P

• PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60

Yes agreed. I'd like to learn this as fast as possible. I believe udk.com has some tutorials and guides on the site.

Playing:

Originally posted by mrroboto40

Wow...
    Being a developer that is going to be sometime I'm going start to learn to use RIGHT NOW if this is indeed true, from the looks of which it seems to be.

This will be great for indie teams, making graphics something that they can ignore while focusing on core MMO elements like character progression, NPC's, quest structuring, etc.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Blueholes TERA is using it,that game may be out fairly soon already Beta2.There is actually a lengthy list of games using it,many developers.Add in the Ageia physx engine ,and you have some real good stuff.

developer.nvidia.com/object/physx_tips.html this is where i read the unreal developers kit thing,while surfing Ageia/Nvidia.

I used to really be into learning the unreal engine,i couldn't get enough i spent like 2 years everyday using it.Now sad to say i got lazy,too much info for my brain,it began to hurt lmao.I spent time on other game engines as well,the thing about the Unreal engine is it's backward design.Basically you design by removing from dead space rather than adding to it.A total bizzare[no not John Byner ,Bizzarre] idea at the time,everyone was used to the opposite way of thinking.

There is actually a large community making mods for the unreal engines,anyone serious about using it ,should look for user made tools.Things like tools that help make oddball shapes and stuff,terrain builders/generators ect ect.

Working with the in game editor from the unreal games ,offers the already made content,so you can lean how to implement it,without having to make your own content.

If at the very least,you find the engine is too hard to understand,work with,you will come away a lot more knowledgeable on game design,how maps/zones are made.Weird because you will walk around games with a lot different feelattitude.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

TCoS?

Originally posted by Wizardry

Blueholes TERA is using it,that game may be out fairly soon already Beta2.There is actually a lengthy list of games using it,many developers.Add in the Ageia physx engine ,and you have some real good stuff.

developer.nvidia.com/object/physx_tips.html this is where i read the unreal developers kit thing,while surfing Ageia/Nvidia.

I used to really be into learning the unreal engine,i couldn't get enough i spent like 2 years everyday using it.Now sad to say i got lazy,too much info for my brain,it began to hurt lmao.I spent time on other game engines as well,the thing about the Unreal engine is it's backward design.Basically you design by removing from dead space rather than adding to it.A total bizzare[no not John Byner ,Bizzarre] idea at the time,everyone was used to the opposite way of thinking.

There is actually a large community making mods for the unreal engines,anyone serious about using it ,should look for user made tools.Things like tools that help make oddball shapes and stuff,terrain builders/generators ect ect.

Working with the in game editor from the unreal games ,offers the already made content,so you can lean how to implement it,without having to make your own content.

If at the very least,you find the engine is too hard to understand,work with,you will come away a lot more knowledgeable on game design,how maps/zones are made.Weird because you will walk around games with a lot different feelattitude.

That "backword" thinking was nothing new when they did it.  That's exactly how the Quake engine did it before the Unreal engine.

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

TCoS, Vanguard, Crime Craft, Mortal Online

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

This is very interesting indeed. With the amount of tools and quality of resources that are being made available to the masses, hopefully we'll see some highly polished indie work inside the genre.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• BaggunsBagguns Member Posts: 152

"UDK is free for noncommercial and educational use. Licensing terms are available to those who wish to sell UDK-powered games or to create commercial products for business use at www.udk.com/licensing."

not free for everyone ;).

Mr. Bagguns