Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age and Borderlands- what do you think the impact is?

dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

While I love MMOs I also have played single player and online/co-op shooters for a loooong time.

Both Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins are ABSOLUTELY awesome games. Are you straying away currently from MMOs to play either or both of these? I know I am for the moment and I think these two games have some serious play time in them.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• xDeathdefierxDeathdefier Member Posts: 3

I'm currently not playing any MMO's so when I got Borderlands that's all I had to play. I thought the game was pretty good, but some obvious class tweaks are needed. Overall I thought it was a bit short, but still fun nonetheless. I have a 50 Brick and a 50 Siren if anyone was wondering.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by dougmysticey

While I love MMOs I also have played single player and online/co-op shooters for a loooong time.
    Both Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins are ABSOLUTELY awesome games. Are you straying away currently from MMOs to play either or both of these? I know I am for the moment and I think these two games have some serious play time in them.
    What are your thoughts?

I have been playing Dragon Age:Origins, but also am playing Torchlight. So yes the MMO I am playing has been suffering a lot in the last week.

• AKABoondockAKABoondock Member Posts: 62

I HAD been  playing Aion since launch until DAO took over my life yesterday. Its the first game I have played since I can remember that I love THIS much. Wow, its good.

• AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235

For the first time in a long time Im considering upgrading my PC for these very two titles.

It will be nice for a change not to have to add another worthless piece of shit MMO to my sig.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by AKABoondock

I HAD been  playing Aion since launch until DAO took over my life yesterday. Its the first game I have played since I can remember that I love THIS much. Wow, its good.

Me too..me too. Lol, I love both games, if I am not playing DAO, I am playing Borderlands, if I am not playing Borderlands, I might be playing Aion.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Azureal

For the first time in a long time Im considering upgrading my PC for these very two titles.

It will be nice for a change not to have to add another worthless piece of shit MMO to my sig.

I've played DAO on both pc and the 360 its much much better on the console. Borderlands however it better suited for the pc since it is a fps

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I wouldn't say that I'm straying I'm simply just not playing MMORPG's as of right now because Console games seem to have more innovation then any MMO released in the last 5 years.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I was playing Aion until Borderlands was released. Now I'm playing Dragon Age Origins, I can't put the game down. It's simply amazing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by heartless

I was playing Aion until Borderlands was released. Now I'm playing Dragon Age Origins, I can't put the game down. It's simply amazing.

Yeah, me too. I was supposed to sign into Aion last night and didn't and also tonight. But I just wanted to continue playing Dragon Age. Even though there are a few wonky things that I dislike.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

I've played DAO on both pc and the 360 its much much better on the console.

The console version is generally regarded as much easier than the pc version.  Maybe thats why you think is better?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Ginaz

The console version is generally regarded as much easier than the pc version.  Maybe thats why you think is better?

difficulty is the same no matter which outlet you use to play the game. The controls for the console were just a lot smoother in transition with the rest of the game than the PC.

• alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 236

difficulty is the same no matter which outlet you use to play the game. The controls for the console were just a lot smoother in transition with the rest of the game than the PC.

Actually , its already been stated that the Console version is easier and allows more mistakes from the player , due to the adsence of the tactical view.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

I am excited for both of these, and Torchlight, and L4D2, all of which I will likely be getting in the next couple of months.  As soon as I finish Brutal Legend...  Which I will actually rate higher than most of the reviews.  The army leading stuff is actually kinda fun once you get the hang of it.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Athcear

I am excited for both of these, and Torchlight, and L4D2, all of which I will likely be getting in the next couple of months.  As soon as I finish Brutal Legend...  Which I will actually rate higher than most of the reviews.  The army leading stuff is actually kinda fun once you get the hang of it.

Torchlight is another great one, although a bit repetitive. For the price though, you can't go wrong.

All in all, it's a good Diablo clone.

• deviladventdeviladvent Member UncommonPosts: 54

Both are amazing games...annoying that cant play both in same time lol.. Borderlands is mroe orginal but both are really fun.. a MMO with Borderlands engine and style will be amazing

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

At least one person(Me) wont play MMOG for a while, I have to beat GA twice and Borderlands once. But corrently waiting for my DA box

For sure some players will leave MMO's for a while until they beat both game.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Borderlands actually only lasted me as long as the first playthrough. The multiplayer isn't terribly fun (most games result in everyone haphazardly trying to spam zone transitions and randomly jump around shooting whatever) and without the "whats in the vault?" to kind of keep you going, it doesn't really grab me anymore. Waiting on the DLC now. 

DA:O seems like it's going to take forever, and I'm glad <3. I am however sad that I didn't start/finish witcher first, because I really want to but know its not going to happen for quite a while now as I'm finding it difficult to let go of the lore behind this game. 

That being said, while DA:O has made me want to get back into LoTRO a bit, there's nothing out at the moment that's really pulling me and I've kind of dropped out of the whole MMO thing for want of essentially something more like DA;O. Sadly, I know that and MMOs doesn't really mix very well, and the new old republic game is not even close to being the answer. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I completely stopped playing MMOs... since COH release.

The genre is dead

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Wrong.  An example would be theres no friendly fire chance on normal difficulty for aoe effects on the console.  Do a little searching and you'll find other examples.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Some pretty awesome games coming out now days. Borderlands and Dragon Age are the two that have taken me completely away from any MMOs.  I have a lifetime sub on LOTRO and I play DDO, but those games are going on hold for a while... at least till Mirkwood comes out ;)

I really like Borderlands, probably the most fun FPS/RPG I have played, but Dragon Age is one of those games.... the games that are the foundation of the whole genre. 

And yeah the PC version of  Dragon Age is way better. Don't play Dragon Age in gimp mode. Play it like you will die horribly if you don't control the action.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by dougmysticey

What are your thoughts?

Lol

I am gonna finish Dragon Age in a week and then I will be back on MMORPGs.

That's why I play MMORPGs, because if I had to play just RPGs there won't be enough around to keep me entartained for the whole year.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I too have pretty much completely given up MMORPGs of late...

None of them have been worth a crap for a long time in my opinion. I keep trying to get into them when they come out because I remember how cool I used to think these games were. Unfortunately I find myself preferring to play great single-player RPGs like Dragon Age or other non-MMO multiplayer games instead.

They are just much, much more fun to me these days... and they don't feel stale and uninspired like every single MMO that comes out.

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105

You can be the hero of your own story in an RPG.

You can be a nameless unimportant hero, much like many others running around in your face, often screaming and swearing, who are competing to chronically repeat the same story bits in an MMORPG.

Woe the day when readers demand control over novel writing.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Playing Borderlands right now (4 player co-op is insanely chaotic and fun), not sure when I'll get to check out Dragon Age. No plans for MMO gaming any time in the near future. Why would I?  These co-op and single player games are just that much better.  They have the one thing that no MMO can hope to create right now...fun game play.  When was the last time (outside of PvP) that you actually had fun just killing shit in an MMO?  How about never.  Take the crazy loot and levels away, and the game play in BL is still a blast

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

I'm playing Dragon Age Origins right now, and I love it. I'm hearing a lot about Borderlands but I haven't played it yet. Which game is better?