Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age Origins Anyone?

Comments

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223

I may get it after I play the heck out of Mass Effect 2. While it sounds like a good game, I don't really like that it lacks any multiplayer. Even NWN 1 & 2 had multiplayer.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by brostyn

Far too linear to be called the best RPG ever. Its OK. Its certainly no Morrowind. I don't even think its as good as NWN.

Oh, I think it's much better than neverwinter nights. I played Neverwinter nights for a very long time and in the end I always felt that it was a bit triet. Didn't like most of NwN2 as there were times that I just felt it got stale.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

The pc and console versions play very differently, with the pc version considered to be much more challenging.  You can't zoom in and out on the console like you can on the pc either.  As for the graphics, I have all the settings turned up to max (yes all of them, go go Radeon 5870, 6 gb of ram, i7 920 cpu) and they look great to me.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

controls are clunky, the game sometimes cant figure out if i want to move my character or move my camera. Rogues are still shitty and can barely dodge. Gonna restart the game with a different class, if it wasnt for an amazing story i might be upset about my purchase.

EDIT: also after playing NWN2 i feel very underwhelmed at the amount of class and skill choices there were. I dunno ... the game from an rpg standpoint just feels underwhelming altogether, i'll have more of an idea of how it is when i level up some more...

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Totally addicted to the game, been playing it like crazy since it came out XD

Only problem I have is that the side quests aren't that interesting compared to the main quest. Also too many "bounty" type quests, quests that you just pick up off a bulletin board.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Originally posted by Ginaz

The pc and console versions play very differently, with the pc version considered to be much more challenging.  You can't zoom in and out on the console like you can on the pc either.  As for the graphics, I have all the settings turned up to max (yes all of them, go go Radeon 5870, 6 gb of ram, i7 920 cpu) and they look great to me.

I've read that too. I bought the PC version and haven't had any trouble with the controls.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

The PC version seems to have some serious issues.  Numerous people (myself included) are having problems playing the game.  There have been dozens of posts on the official forums about the same issue I am having.  I suspect it may have a memory leak.

Framerate is very low, to the point the game is nearly unplayable.  Even with all settings turned down to their lowest, the framerate does not improve.  This is odd considering I can play Mass Effect on max settings without a problem.    I also play Age of Conan on high settings with no issues, so it's not my PC.

Load times are awful, when I click an npc to talk I have to wait 10-20 seconds before anything happens.  Loading screens are even worse, zoning somewhere takes anywhere from 3-15 mins to load up.  Staring at a swirling "celtic" circle for several minutes every time I enter/leave a building is really ruining any enjoyment of this game.

This being Bioware's 1st release under the EA banner, this is seriously dampening my desire to play ME2 now.  If they can't get this game to work right, after 5 years of development, how good is ME2 going to be with less than 2?

• LikeabossLikeaboss Member Posts: 37

I havent had a single issue yet. I do have a great gaming rig and havent had any framerate issues even during big battles with all effects on. The controls are very intuitive as they are similar to most MMOs and have clickto-move as well. The story is amazing and has kept me enthralled , I have palyed for many hours and I am about 7% complete, so this looks like a good long adventure. I have been playing the rogue class and stealth into rooms to detect traps. I am usually a sword-and-board guy but this rogue class is pretty entertaining and powerful. I am glad this is a SINGLE player game so they didnt have to concentrate on balancing classes to keep people from bitching about OP stuff and then having to nerf everything. Thank you Bio Ware for another Epic adventure.

What i have found in most sandboxes are discarded toys and cat poop.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Originally posted by DrowNoble

The PC version seems to have some serious issues.  Numerous people (myself included) are having problems playing the game.  There have been dozens of posts on the official forums about the same issue I am having.  I suspect it may have a memory leak.
    Framerate is very low, to the point the game is nearly unplayable.  Even with all settings turned down to their lowest, the framerate does not improve.  This is odd considering I can play Mass Effect on max settings without a problem.    I also play Age of Conan on high settings with no issues, so it's not my PC.
    Load times are awful, when I click an npc to talk I have to wait 10-20 seconds before anything happens.  Loading screens are even worse, zoning somewhere takes anywhere from 3-15 mins to load up.  Staring at a swirling "celtic" circle for several minutes every time I enter/leave a building is really ruining any enjoyment of this game.
    This being Bioware's 1st release under the EA banner, this is seriously dampening my desire to play ME2 now.  If they can't get this game to work right, after 5 years of development, how good is ME2 going to be with less than 2?

I haven't experienced this.  Have you an older computer and not a quad core? These new games require a hefty computer to play them.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Bought the CE Edition two days ago. I chose to support BioWare because they are making SW:TOR! Thoroughly pleased with the game and have been glued to it for hours on end, the amount of content is HUGE, its like 1-50 in WoW size (pre-BC), perhaps even larger if you do all the quests.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297
    Originally posted by drel

I haven't experienced this.  Have you an older computer and not a quad core? These new games require a hefty computer to play them.

Well I did say that I can play Mass Effect on max settings with  no problems.  Since that game only came out last year, one would think tech-wise there should be little difference between ME1 and DA.

To answer your question, yes I have a Phenom 9600 quad-core cpu.  Recenlty went to 6gigs of ram since I upgraded to win7 home premium 64 bit version.  So actually my system is better now than when I was playing ME1 before.

It's not just me either.  There have been dozens of posts on the official forums about this.  In true EA style though, a lot of the posts are getting deleted or specific replies removed.  Seems they don't want anyone saying anything bad about DA perhaps?

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

It's a memory leak. I have sorta fixed the problem. When you start getting longer then average load times (30 sec +) or frame rate starts to drop, save, exit game to main menu reload. problem solved, well for a bit.. But this is not stopping me from fully enjoying the game, they have said they are working on it, EA or not atleast they let us know.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

No problems here on the PC version. Yay for me?

• SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

same here. yay for us!

as for the game itself, i absolutely hate the combat, and the script commands. i was hoping/wishing for the same combat mechanics of mass effect. no, i wasn't expecting laser beams, pewpewpewpew.

anyway, i rolled a male rogue city elf.

the other problem i'm having is that i can't seem to take my own screenshots. i'm running this game on a kickass laptop where i have to hold down the function key along with print screen. i can take screen shots on other games. it just has a problem with this game, mass effect, and the witcher.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

loving the game so far. the controls and camera are so damn smooth especially since I was playing NWN 2 a few days before release. Usually play for six hour sessions a night and it runs like a dream with everything maxed out. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

I doubt i can go back to NWN2 after this. It would feel like a clunky nightmare.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Syncrosonix

Originally posted by BizkitNL

same here. yay for us!

as for the game itself, i absolutely hate the combat, and the script commands. i was hoping/wishing for the same combat mechanics of mass effect. no, i wasn't expecting laser beams, pewpewpewpew.

anyway, i rolled a male rogue city elf.

the other problem i'm having is that i can't seem to take my own screenshots. i'm running this game on a kickass laptop where i have to hold down the function key along with print screen. i can take screen shots on other games. it just has a problem with this game, mass effect, and the witcher.

Most people are saying caster combat is the best (early on) due to the wide selection of skills. I'm currently playing a champion/zerker. Starting out skills did come slow and it was a bit boring spamming the same skills, not to far from then it started picking up pace Now my bar is full of skills, and my interest in the combat has sky rocketed. It's a fun game, it's not a game you start out in as a all powerful warrior knocking peoples heads off with your shield or gouging peoples eyes out. You start out young, stupid and weak. Which imo was the right move for a game like this.

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

last night when I was playing Dragon Age, I found myself trying to win approval points from Morrigan.

when I went to bed I had a dream in which I was  with a girl I used to know (she moved away and we only talk briefly through IMs now)

this morning I IMED this girl and told her that she was in my dram last night, and I said it probably had to do with me playing dragon age before going to bed (Morrigan was reminding me of this girl before I went to bed last night)

she replied "..."

then I said "I was trying to win approval points from a sexy witch character"

she told me "____ DIAF." and something about how my IMs were going to her phone and not her messenger

I apologized and stopped texting her.

so basically I jestingly call a girl a sexy witch and she replies acting all serious with "Die in a Fire". sounds like something a witch would say am I right?

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

What I like, at least at the beginning of the game, is that you are actually a part of a movie. The cinematic portion of the game is incredible. You really feel like you are part of the plot.  It feels like the start of a new sub-genre of RPG's, The cinema RPG. IMO so far Bioware has done a fantastic job. It just draws you into the story.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by Thrakk
    so basically I jestingly call a girl a sexy witch and she replies acting all serious with "Die in a Fire". sounds like something a witch would say am I right?

I would have to disagree, if only because even Morrigan herself will thank you for compliments (even if she makes a snide remark first).

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Alekhin

What I like, at least at the beginning of the game, is that you are actually a part of a movie. The cinematic portion of the game is incredible. You really feel like you are part of the plot.  It feels like the start of a new sub-genre of RPG's, The cinema RPG. IMO so far Bioware has done a fantastic job. It just draws you into the story.

Yes, Bioware did a very good goob with integrating the cimematics into the RPG. I am enjoying the game immensely, especially after playing Aion's grind mmo a week or two ago.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Yes, Bioware did a very good goob with integrating the cimematics into the RPG. I am enjoying the game immensely, especially after playing Aion's grind mmo a week or two ago.

The sad part is, is that AoC tried this out, and it worked well then, but it all ended at Tortage, and pissed people off. It is a good technique though.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Rallycart

Originally posted by Illyssia

The sad part is, is that AoC tried this out, and it worked well then, but it all ended at Tortage, and pissed people off. It is a good technique though.

I am hoping that the leveing/solo game for the Bioware SWTOR will actually pull this off, we'll see as the game is still a long way from retail release.

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

This is an amazing game. Keeps on getting better and better as time goes on.

I'm currently loving my debuffer Rogue / Duelist.

• KuchizakiKuchizaki Member Posts: 6

Played it through ~30hours played on normal, guess I could play it again with different race/class and make lot of different decisions.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Kuchizaki

Played it through ~30hours played on normal, guess I could play it again with different race/class and make lot of different decisions.

Oh I think there is a LOT to discover in this game.

In the time I have to play some games (beena a bit busy lately) I have been playing Dragon Age. I've tried out many of the different origin stories, in some cases with a different sex as, for instance, the City Elf story plays slightly differently between the female and the male.

On top of that your decisions really can affect your character and your party quite drastically. I don't want to give anything away but let's just say that I had quite a different experience playing both sides of the Andraste's Ashes storyline. Of course I can really only pick one and one that makes sense with how I've been playing this character. But I am very strongly considering bringing a more evil character up through the storylines.

Also, is anyone else getting tired of Morigan? I always include her but her attitude is getting on my nerves. I keep thinking that there is some more depth to her if I continue to play her character out but I am starting to lean toward the bard.

lol, oh and did anyone discover the little (sort of) music video moment at the camp with the bard? Corny as it was, it was actually pretty enjoyable and felt very much like a scene in a movie. That was definitely a highlight.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo