Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Graphics Card?

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Right now I have an 8800GT 512mb. I upgraded my power supply when I bought the computer to leave room for a graphics card upgrade.

Which would be the bigger upgrade for me? Keep in mind I'm sticking with GeForce so don't even try to push your ATI on me. The first one is actually cheaper than the 250, and I realize that the 250 is a renamed 9800. So which would be the bigger upgrade for me? I notice that the 250 has higher specs than the 260, but the 260 is a newer chip, right? I wish graphic cards weren't so damn confusing for the regular customer...

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCI-E Video Card

Memory Specs

Effective Memory Clock Speed 590MHz

Memory Technology GDDR3

Video Memory 896MB

Chipset Specs

API Support DX10, Shader Model 4.0, PCI-E 2.0

Core Clock Speed 590MHz

Maximum Resolution 2560 x 1600

Multiple Monitor Support Yes

Processor Type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

RAMDAC Speed Dual 400MHz

SLI Ready Yes

Interfaces and I/O

Coaxial Input No

Component Input No

Component Output No

Composite Input No

Composite Output No

DVI Output Yes

HDMI Input No

HDMI Output Yes (With Adapter, Not Included)

S-video Input No

S-video Output No

Slot Type PCI-E x16

Slots Required 2

VGA Output Yes (With Adapter)

Tuners and Encoders

ATSC Tuner No

DVD Acceleration Yes

HD-DVD/Blu-ray Capable Yes

HDTV Encoder No

NTSC Tuner No

OR

XFX GeForce GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E Video Card

Memory Specs

Effective Memory Clock Speed 2.2 GHz

Memory Technology DDR3

Video Memory 1 GB

Chipset Specs

API Support DX 9/10, OpenGL 3.0

Core Clock Speed 738 MHz

Maximum Resolution 2500 x 1600

Multiple Monitor Support Yes

Processor Type GTS 250

RAMDAC Speed 400

SLI Ready Yes

Interfaces and I/O

Coaxial Input No

Component Input No

Component Output No

Composite Input No

Composite Output No

DVI Output Yes

HDMI Input No

HDMI Output No

S-video Input No

S-video Output No

Slot Type PCI-E x16 2.0

Slots Required 2

VGA Output No

Tuners and Encoders Turner: No, HDTV Encoder: Yes

ATSC Tuner No

DVD Acceleration No

HD-DVD/Blu-ray Capable Yes

HDTV Encoder Yes

NTSC Tuner No

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Depending on budget, 4870/5850/5870.

Don't consider those nvidia card, they are hardly faster than your old card. I'd suggest you get a 5850. 

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

If you're interested in a cost effective GTX, I'd go with the EVGA 260.  Particularly the one with 216 signal processors compared to BFGs 194, would be faster, and is only 10 bucks more.  BFG has a better warranty but that will only serve you in a limited number of scenarios where more SP will benefit your performance 100% of the time.

Stay away from the GTS 250.

The ATI cards are worth considering as well.

Oh, and the GTX 260 is PLENTY faster than an 8800GT, I had a comparable 8800 GTS before I upgraded to a 260, and the difference is huge, not to mention the fact that a GTX will always be much higher quality and better driver support than a GT or GTS, which seem to be more prone to problems in my experiences.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by heremypet

If you're interested in a cost effective GTX, I'd go with the EVGA 260.  Particularly the one with 216 signal processors compared to BFGs 194, would be faster, and is only 10 bucks more.  BFG has a better warranty but that will only serve you in a limited number of scenarios where more SP will benefit your performance 100% of the time.
    Stay away from the GTS 250.
    The ATI cards are worth considering as well.
    Oh, and the GTX 260 is PLENTY faster than an 8800GT, I had a comparable 8800 GTS before I upgraded to a 260, and the difference is huge, not to mention the fact that a GTX will always be much higher quality and better driver support than a GT or GTS, which seem to be more prone to problems in my experiences.

I have to agree with this.

the GTX260 Maxcore 55 is a good card (priced around $170US).

If you are into overclocking it even more, you can reach the speeds of the GTX285, but even with the stock OC speeds its fast enough to run pretty much any game you can throw at it currently.

And as a bonus, most online retailers are giving away a downloadable copy of Batman Arkham Asylum (which if you havent played it, its a great game)

Also if your system has more than 1 PCIe slot, you can stick that 8800GT in the second slot and have it set to run as a PhysX processor (if you have gamnes that use it, such as Batman :P )

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• BiohunterBiohunter Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by GPrestige

Right now I have an 8800GT 512mb. I upgraded my power supply when I bought the computer to leave room for a graphics card upgrade.

Which would be the bigger upgrade for me? Keep in mind I'm sticking with GeForce so don't even try to push your ATI on me. The first one is actually cheaper than the 250, and I realize that the 250 is a renamed 9800. So which would be the bigger upgrade for me? I notice that the 250 has higher specs than the 260, but the 260 is a newer chip, right? I wish graphic cards weren't so damn confusing for the regular customer...

With that in mind you have to read this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2428.html

Very good explanation of what to look for in a graphics card. Or you could go with the next link. Best card for the money comparison, another excellent link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2404.html

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by GPrestige

The 260 should be better even though it doesn't look like it's a GTX 260 216. The only spec higher on the 250 is the core clock but the 250 is really a rebranded 9800GTX+ which is really a rebranded die-shrunk 8800GTS and has half as many transistors as the 260 so the core clock isn't directly comparable.

It's not graphics cards that are confusing for the regular customer it's nvidia and their retarded naming schemes and rebranding.