Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age Origins Anyone?

Comments

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Rallycart

Originally posted by greed0104

You don't pause to tell team mates what to do, use the strategy scripts to give them commands. IE, setting them to pot at 50% health etc. Game is fine, actually the game is simply awesome, the story is very well done.

I never said anything was wrong with the game, and yes, the story is good. However, using pause, and manually controlling people is more effective, and I find scriped party members doing stupid things constantly. It is the same gripe I had with NWN2. And I still wish it had more of a hands on feel. For example, when I was doing the Proving with my Rogue, he had a sword and shield. Going into the first fight, I thought I would be able to actively block, and time my attacks, as well as circle the enemy while slashing. Nope. Basically, there is only one effective strategy. Pause game at start, select opponent, use Dirty Tricks, unpause, let Dirty Tricks stun them, pause game, right click behind them, unpause, watch character walk, pause game, start auto attack, unpause, and watch as your backstabs destroy them while they are stunned.

Being that you don't even need to click for each attack, and it is just auto swing... Seems a bit like I am just an observer. Now, yes, I do get more skills, and can more actively use them in combat, but most of the skills ahve cooldowns of 15 seconds or more, some are like, 30 and above. That leaves me still watching auto swing most of the time.

Once again, this might be someone's preference, and if so, then this game is for you. Borderlands is much more action based, and plays a bit more on skill and twitch, while Dragon Age is more of a strategists game I guess. To each their own.

Sorry was saying the game was great to everybody else wondering heh.

My one and only complaint is the collision detection, my character seems to have a hard time hitting stuff because he is constantly changing position being pushed away from the mob by my group members. But once you figure out how to get past it, the game is flawless.

The scripts take a lot of tweaking to actually get them to do what you want, just experiment with it. I'm playing a warrior, sword and shield, I have a total of two offensive abilities and about 4 buffs. But I'm not just sitting there spamming these or waiting for them. I'll actually switch targets stun one, switch knock one down and beat on him, he dies and I start in on the stunned one. I guess if you actually just do that, hit, sit, and observe it wont be to fun. But yes, the game is more strategic then actiony (word?). With that aside the story so far is very captivating, I look forward to seeing every origin story.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Anyone with the boxed version care to tell me if Id be missing much by getting the digital download?  I can save some cash that way

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

My one and only complaint is the collision detection, my character seems to have a hard time hitting stuff because he is constantly changing position being pushed away from the mob by my group members. But once you figure out how to get past it, the game is flawless.
    The scripts take a lot of tweaking to actually get them to do what you want, just experiment with it. I'm playing a warrior, sword and shield, I have a total of two offensive abilities and about 4 buffs. But I'm not just sitting there spamming these or waiting for them. I'll actually switch targets stun one, switch knock one down and beat on him, he dies and I start in on the stunned one. I guess if you actually just do that, hit, sit, and observe it wont be to fun. But yes, the game is more strategic then actiony (word?). With that aside the story so far is very captivating, I look forward to seeing every origin story.

Well, as a Rogue (still not up to my next class) I have very little to choose from. I put some points into my dual wielding, as well as stealth and weapon proficiency. My three active skills are Dirty Tricks, which every Rogue starts with, Dual Strike? or something like that. It is basically a stance that gives me a chance to hit with both weapons as once when attacking, and some sort of sweeping attack. I forget the name of it. However, with 15 second cooldowns on them, I am not exactly able to use them like crazy, and both are situational. Due to this, I spend a lot of time watching my guy auto attack, lol.

I agree though, it is a pretty good story. Unfortunatly, it seems like I spend 75% of my game time, and maybe even more than that, watching the story, or speaking with townsfolk. Very little combat so far. I remember certain parts of KOTOR being the same way, where it seems to just be a lot of story, and not much playing. Hopefully things speed up.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Rallycart

Well, as a Rogue (still not up to my next class) I have very little to choose from. I put some points into my dual wielding, as well as stealth and weapon proficiency. My three active skills are Dirty Tricks, which every Rogue starts with, Dual Strike? or something like that. It is basically a stance that gives me a chance to hit with both weapons as once when attacking, and some sort of sweeping attack. I forget the name of it. However, with 15 second cooldowns on them, I am not exactly able to use them like crazy, and both are situational. Due to this, I spend a lot of time watching my guy auto attack, lol.

I agree though, it is a pretty good story. Unfortunatly, it seems like I spend 75% of my game time, and maybe even more than that, watching the story, or speaking with townsfolk. Very little combat so far. I remember certain parts of KOTOR being the same way, where it seems to just be a lot of story, and not much playing. Hopefully things speed up.

Leveling is a bit slower then I figured it would be, not really a complaint, just an observation. So this seems to slow things down as far as skills are concerned.

I'm fine with the game largely being story, the characters are so likable it kinda fills in the gaps. Plus the random conversations they start while traveling (which are actually real time, not like KOTOR) is pretty neat. But I also realize I'm still early in the game, seems most BioWare games are full of conversations and story early but the combat begins kicking off a bit later. Either way, the game has certainly passed my expectations, which I admit, were extremely high. Anyways, I just got Sten, if that gives you any idea to exactly where I am in the story.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Ok, I've played the game for a few horus now and I was suprised at how awful the grahpics are, it was like I was playing a game from 5 years ago. Gothic 2 looks better, even Morrowind 3 looks better. I do like the old school Baldur's Gate feel with the combat, but there was so much dialogue and just plain terrible textures during all the dialogue,  From all the reviews I've read I expected much more visually.  As an elf mage I was not very impressed with the dialogue as well, The story seemed weak and absurd, though the voice acting was good.  I am at the begining of the game, but so far my expectations were seemingly too high.

edit: I am playing the game max settings 1920x1200 reso

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

Wierd. I thought the graphics were pretty good considering that the game is played so zoomed out most of the time. Kind of like with Company of Heroes. I will agree though, that some of the object and terrain textures are pretty bad, but the character and armor textures were pretty astounding if you ask me.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Just finished downloading it and am installing it now. Excited :)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I actually like the graphics. Yea, they aren't the most amazing out there but at the same time they work rather well and you don't need a beast of a machine to run the game.

Besides that, Bioware games are not know for their amazing graphics--although Mass Effect still looks great. Bioware games are all about the story and the adventure. In my opinion anyway.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by heartless

I actually like the graphics. Yea, they aren't the most amazing out there but at the same time they work rather well and you don't need a beast of a machine to run the game.
    Besides that, Bioware games are not know for their amazing graphics--although Mass Effect still looks great. Bioware games are all about the story and the adventure. In my opinion anyway.

I definately think that is what they were going for. Making a game that can run on almost any PC. I think that SW:TOR will be along the same lines as far as graphics. The high end graphics are great for a niche game, but the masses still do not have a high end PC.

As far as the game, I have just played about an hour or so. It is exactly what I was expecting. Taking me back to my BG and NWN days with better story telling with the voice acting. It will be worth it to play the game over with different classes as well. The magic as you get into the game seems to be very complex from what I have read. You can combine spells to get a better effect. So far so good. Everything else will just be iceing on the cake.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I got my copy today and I must say it is pretty epic. Probably the best rpg I ever played since Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. The comabt is fun and the storytelling is fantastic.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

I got my copy today and I must say it is pretty epic. Probably the best rpg I ever played since Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. The comabt is fun and the storytelling is fantastic.

I like the music too and have to agree with what you say so far.

Music is reminding me of a mix between Conan and Guild Wars. Sound track is awesome.

Can wait to wear the Blood Dragon Armor

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Music is reminding me of a mix between Conan and Guild Wars. Sound track is awesome.

Indeed I am only level 7. I been trying to pump up the strength so I can wear that armor. :) I even bought the additional dragon armor pieces from that dwarven merchant.

• SanzenSekaiSanzenSekai Member Posts: 11

My friend showed me this game today, needless to say I will be buying it ASAP.

If you have played a bioware game before you can pretty much predict what the game is going to be like and it does not disappoint, the classes, races and backgrounds all look extremely fun.

Currently Playing: Nothing

Have Played: UO, WoW, GW, FFXI, L2, LotRO, WAR, Aion

Looking Forward To: SW:TOR

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It looks like a very good RPG. Eurogamer.de rated it 10/10, saying it is THE RPG we all have been waiting for, for 20 years. Or so. I wait and see. A pity they didn't get D&D liscence, tho. I find the amount of blood a bit silly. Seeing all those chars covered in blood in some dialogue just looks silly to me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Elikal

It looks like a very good RPG. Eurogamer.de rated it 10/10, saying it is THE RPG we all have been waiting for, for 20 years. Or so. I wait and see. A pity they didn't get D&D liscence, tho. I find the amount of blood a bit silly. Seeing all those chars covered in blood in some dialogue just looks silly to me.

Yeah its a little over the top. A little blood on the weapon or shield might have been cool, but these guys is just covered in it. I read that you can turn off persistant blood spatter though.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Another homerun by Bioware.

Dragon Age is pure win.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Just a little warning The 360 version of this game isn't as good. You cant zoom out and its less tactical and more brute force action minded. Due to that the AI is way too easy.

If you plan on getting the 360 version please put the AI setting above normal for a decent experience.

I bought both the PC and 360 versions since I hate exclusively sitting at my PC playing games.

PC offers better graphics/preformance, Better UI and a more deep and tactical experience than the console. just dealing with the pause feature on 360 is a pain. I would give the 360 version a 8 and a PC a 10 easily.

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

I've played the game and honestly I don't see how it got rated so highly, it just feels like NWN2 rehashed, even the story is simmlar. Add in the fact on the 1st day the game is out there is already TWO DLC's that should have already been in the game is just total BS, its nickle and dimeing the players. Then again Bioware was bought out by satan incarnate (EA Games) so its expected. Thankfully I didn't buy DA:O Gotta love torrents (I believe in try before you buy, saves me alot of money). Saved myself money on a semi-bad game.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

Dragon Age is NOT an MMORPG...

If you guys are interested in other games than MMORPG's you should check out: www.shacknews.com or www.bluesnews.com or www.gametrailers.com . They have great communities dedicated to all types of video games and great discussion communities to boot. Enjoy.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Finbar

Dragon Age is NOT an MMORPG...
    If you guys are interested in other games than MMORPG's you should check out: www.shacknews.com or www.bluesnews.com or www.gametrailers.com . They have great communities dedicated to all types of video games and great discussion communities to boot. Enjoy.

Huh?

This is the general gaming forum. It covers Console and PC games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Scyris

I've played the game and honestly I don't see how it got rated so highly, it just feels like NWN2 rehashed, even the story is simmlar. Add in the fact on the 1st day the game is out there is already TWO DLC's that should have already been in the game is just total BS, its nickle and dimeing the players. Then again Bioware was bought out by satan incarnate (EA Games) so its expected. Thankfully I didn't buy DA:O Gotta love torrents (I believe in try before you buy, saves me alot of money). Saved myself money on a semi-bad game.

Well, other than you essentially stealing the game, I have to disagree with you.

What this feels like is what Neverwinter Nights should have been.

There is some wonkiness, especially with the character creator, but the world itself is a lot more interesting than NwN 1 or 2 and the usage of the camera during dialogue cutscenes is very cinematic.

Heck, I even entertained canceling on going to my girl friend's house as I wanted to play it all night (of course I didn't, priorities are straight).

But I think it's an extremely well done game. 10 out of 10? Too many eccentricities for that. easily 9 out of 10.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

The game is great.  Great story, great graphics, fun fighting and most importantly player choice though out the game and story line.

I am only lvl 6 and have made countless choices that directly effected the story so far.   I would of liked a more direct combat system instead of the point and click but I do love the tactics that are needed to win in most battles.

So far I would give it an 8 of 10, combat being the only thing I would have changed but like I said the tactics system does make up for it.

Sooner or Later

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Indeed I am only level 7. I been trying to pump up the strength so I can wear that armor. :) I even bought the additional dragon armor pieces from that dwarven merchant.

How did you get the dwarven merchant to talk to you?  He would not talk to me due to me being "Casteless".   Maybe you are talking about another merchant not the one in the starting dwarf city.

Anyway the game is great, sound is great, graphics are great.

Sooner or Later

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I got my copy and love the game! It's like an interactive novel where you can do what you want and don't have to follow the entire thread of the novel in a linear fashion. You can always come back to pick up that quest.  How you respond to the NPC's you talk to changes the course of your character and game. This creates a number of different stories you can play out.

The game's addicting-while not an MMO, it's still a great game to play!