Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ignorance shines thru in a youtube review of FE

MordridMordrid Member Posts: 237

I dont know what to say about this. The reviews actually admitted in their comments they barely played the game. www.youtube.com/watch 

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

The way they lump some of those games in together as trying to be like wow is kind of dumb if I do say. I watched about half of it, before getting bored, but I noticed it seems like they are trying to be a very low key version of zero puncuation(sp) at the start there.

Either way, horrible reviewer.

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

Lol

you can't loot an axe because your salvage skill isn't high enough?

that's just horrible.

The combat looks really messed up.     Everything moves as quick as you do, so getting range on someone is pointless.

I think the review had a lot of valid points.

thanks for posting that review, I've been debating on trying this game

• ElendilasXElendilasX Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Mordrid

I dont know what to say about this. The reviews actually admitted in their comments they barely played the game. www.youtube.com/watch 

So what? Do you need to force yourself to play game which you dont like for long time just to know you dont like it/it is bad?

I could see game isnt finished about 5-10minutes after I started... Only about 3 bugs which happened to me in tutorial lol...

And if you say fun begins at higher level, I say game is bad made as you should enjoy it from beginning.

• MordridMordrid Member Posts: 237

The game was fun for me from the start. Dont think it was said anywhere that it took a til higher content for the game to be fun. The comment was made in the vid about issues with ranged weapons, and it was pointed out to them that was due to skill ranks, which they completely ignored in their review. While I might agree that the game has issues, which it does, I dont agree with the lack of knowledge tossed out by this "in-depth" review.  

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by ElendilasX

So what? Do you need to force yourself to play game which you dont like for long time just to know you dont like it/it is bad?

I could see game isnt finished about 5-10minutes after I started... Only about 3 bugs which happened to me in tutorial lol...

And if you say fun begins at higher level, I say game is bad made as you should enjoy it from beginning.

difference is, theyre not just coming and saying "i dont like this game", theyre posing it as a review of the game. Kind of tough to get even remotely close to being capable of reviewing an entire game when youve only played it a couple hours. thats like going to a theater, and leaving in the middle of the opening credits and then trying to give a review of the entire movie when you only know a small part of it.

• ElendilasXElendilasX Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

difference is, theyre not just coming and saying "i dont like this game", theyre posing it as a review of the game. Kind of tough to get even remotely close to being capable of reviewing an entire game when youve only played it a couple hours. thats like going to a theater, and leaving in the middle of the opening credits and then trying to give a review of the entire movie when you only know a small part of it.

This may be the case sometimes but there may be another option too:

You come to movie, it starts and in first minutes you see that actors even dont know their lines, spec effects are unfinished and so on... Why wait more if beginning sucks, for hope it will change?

And in MMORPG it is usually same all the way, you just see bigger numbers, flashier attacks, bigger guns... And only after weeks or months of play you get normal pvp or end game grind.

MMORPG should be about journey and not destination. You should enjoy it from beginning. At least that is my opinion.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Holy wow...

I guess that vid is a great example of "If you are gonna review a game, at least know what you are talking about..."

The whole WoW clone thing made me laugh.

The fact that if you look at the game in the vid they were playing is really low settings makes me thing the horrible lag he talks about is really his PC not being able to handle the game at all. Or the fact he was running Fraps which would also cause the game to run like arse as well.

Combat is a hell of a lot easier than he makes it out to be (i can and have seen others who can run and gun with accuracy and ease, again leading me to think he played a whole 10 minutes and gave up)

As for the inability to loot mobs/NPCs... never had that issue. You dont need (least I had never seen the message before...) scavaging to loot a kill. You do need scavaging to skin the mob.

This review sounds a lot like a first time review, sort of like a test run. It seemed like they were trying to copy Zero Punctuation with a little X-play mixed in. "The game costs $50 up front and $15 a month..." Shows that they have little experience with MMOs in the first place to have to point out their dismay at the standard MMO price scheme.

They sound like a couple of Steam forum members who saw the game and bought it with little to no research.

Fallen Earth may not be the greatest game ever, but its certainly better than those two malakas make it out to be...

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Holy wow...
    I guess that vid is a great example of "If you are gonna review a game, at least know what you are talking about..."
    The fact that if you look at the game in the vid they were playing is really low settings makes me thing the horrible lag he talks about is really his PC not being able to handle the game at all. Or the fact he was running Fraps which would also cause the game to run like arse as well.
    Combat is a hell of a lot easier than he makes it out to be (i can and have seen others who can run and gun with accuracy and ease, again leading me to think he played a whole 10 minutes and gave up)
    As for the inability to loot mobs/NPCs... never had that issue. You dont need (least I had never seen the message before...) scavaging to loot a kill. You do need scavaging to skin the mob.
    This review sounds a lot like a first time review, sort of like a test run. It seemed like they were trying to copy Zero Punctuation with a little X-play mixed in. "The game costs $50 up front and $15 a month..." Shows that they have little experience with MMOs in the first place to have to point out their dismay at the standard MMO price scheme.
    They sound like a couple of Steam forum members who saw the game and bought it with little to no research.
    Fallen Earth may not be the greatest game ever, but its certainly better than those two malakas make it out to be...

Well the internet is now SOOO idiot proof, any moron with a FRAPS/XFire sub think they are the next Zero.  The irony of technology is that it eventually caters itself to the most ignorant, uninformed, bottom feeders available on this rock we live on.

Yeah I love FE, though I dont play as much as I'd like-- and it isn't perfect.. but if you want to shoot reviews out of your ass, at least put some time into it.  Don't just turn on your little screen recorder and pretend to be a pro, because you aren't.  The downward spiral of the net started with Myspace, escalated with Twitter, and will end with a whimper!

Maybe the virus in FE actually started with two douchebags pissed that they're AT&T was down and they couldn't tweet, so why not become reviewers!  yay!

Originally posted by Anarchist420

Holy wow...

Well the internet is now SOOO idiot proof, any moron with a FRAPS/XFire sub think they are the next Zero.  The irony of technology is that it eventually caters itself to the most ignorant, uninformed, bottom feeders available on this rock we live on.

Yeah I love FE, though I dont play as much as I'd like-- and it isn't perfect.. but if you want to shoot reviews out of your ass, at least put some time into it.  Don't just turn on your little screen recorder and pretend to be a pro, because you aren't.  The downward spiral of the net started with Myspace, escalated with Twitter, and will end with a whimper!

Maybe the virus in FE actually started with two douchebags pissed that they're AT&T was down and they couldn't tweet, so why not become reviewers!  yay!

Yeah, I will never understand the agenda based 'reviews' of games.

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Anarchist420

Holy wow...

Yeah, I will never understand the agenda based 'reviews' of games.

Maybe breast fed for too long?  Personal grudge that Icarus is making bank and they are sitting in front of their pc's in their grandparents basement making shoddy reviews of games they barely played?  Ahh I could go on and on.

But I agree,  I don't understand the point behind it either.

What got me was the amount of times they called FE a WoW clone. Oh well.  

What got me was the amount of times they called FE a WoW clone. Oh well.  

Aye.

'There is looting, which WoW has' = WoW Clone

'You can scavange materials' = WoW Clone

'You can play with a mouse/keyboard' = WoW Clone

'We had to install the game on our PC's' = WoW Clone

'Mobs attack back' =WoW Clone

'You can do missions' =WoW Clone

'Last time we touched a boob was in highschool when Sarah Smith brushed past us in teh hall way' =WoW Clone

'We still have yet to kiss a girl, so that makes this game a WoW Clone'

I guess in their estimation EVE is a WoW Clone, as well as UO, AC, DAoC, Meridian 59, NWN, Pac-Man and Pong...

I wouldnt be surprised if they ended up deleting all my comments. Most people hate being called out as liars and frauds.  

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

I wouldnt be surprised if they ended up deleting all my comments. Most people hate being called out as liars and frauds.

Ya I did, 2 post on the Vid both got deleted.

God thoes 2 guys sound like 2 idiots with not a clue or a brain to stand on.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

Yeah, I dont see your posts anymore man. Love how they post garbage but cant handle when they are called out on it  

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

You do if you plan on officially reviewing it. Atleast, any good reviewer would. You know, to be able to write a complete and unbiased piece of work?

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

Doesn't matter really. A lot of hate got shifted to FE a few days ago. Game stands on its own merits and the player buzz continues, its still defying MMO norm by growing its subs after 1 month instead of a burst and decline, and now its getting its hate mail. So what, we all know what it is.

I mean can you imagine how a AAA title would wet itself at the thought of a player base that created a radio station with live DJ's or a paper/gazette or have all the blogs that love it, like FE does?

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

TL;DWatch  :)

Who gives a shit about some random Joe trying to pass as a legit reviewer?

People can bash and troll a game as much as they like but the things is... you cant stop a good product from being successful.

Word of mouth (from people that actualy play the game) is the best advertizing and since the MMO world is not that big and news travel fast, all you have to do is make a enjoyable game and people will hear about it, try it and enjoy it.

I know that Icarus would like for every single gamer to try their game but for me... the tards that cant make the dinstiction between a real review and a troll post/video/review dont belong in this game anyway.

So far the player base of FE is mostly made of mature,experienced and old school gamers that know how to appreciate a good product when they see one and i hope it stays that way.

Most of the big budget MMOs that came out last few years took the approach of: Hype your game as much as possible, promise the world,sell enough pre-orders to break even on launch day if possible, then when you launch your unfinished product with only 20% of the content that you promissed lie some more, promisse more and squize every dollar you can from the people that bought your game until you eventually sell it for peanuts.

Icarus took a totaly different approach with FE.

They believe in their product enough to let it speak for itself and so far is working and they are getting more subs their servers can handle atm.

I haven't seen anything but "Less words more deeds" by Icarus.

They fixed more in one patch then Funcom did in a year with AoC heh.

And smart gamers take notice of that, devs dont need to hype anything.

This game and the company will have a bright future anyone with half a brain can see it and no hater or troll will change that.

No worries.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

ahh I needed a giggle

I also got the impression that the video was massively sped up on the combat section, this is due to the speed in which he reloads his crossbow

I dare you, do it in game, get a crossbow and shoot it, it takes about 3 seconds to reload but he does it in about .5 second,

Also by comparing everygame to WOW you make youself look really retarded, I mean as if WOW is the big ass daddy of them all

Its been going for years, people forget its launch was even  horrible, but after so many years of expansions and stuff they have balanced it out

I like FE because it gives me soemthing else that most other games dont, an ability to spec myself instead of being a cookie cutter (paladin etc) and I get to make my own mistakes and screw stuff up.

I admit the game had its teething issues, but we took it on the chin and moved on, allowed Icarus to solve the problems, Yes a few still exist. but guess what guys, thats teh nature of any programming, its not until you deploy the code that you can actually see if it will glitch or not.

Lots of players playing these games also need to take into account that before they sstart bitching they need to ask themselves

1) Is my PC capable of runing it?

2) Is my PC REALLY capable of running it

3) is my Internet supplier tight with bandwidth?

4) Be honest, that 6 year old 5600 isnt gonna run it, so is my pc HONESTLY able to run the game?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

This may be the case sometimes but there may be another option too:
    You come to movie, it starts and in first minutes you see that actors even dont know their lines, spec effects are unfinished and so on... Why wait more if beginning sucks, for hope it will change?
    And in MMORPG it is usually same all the way, you just see bigger numbers, flashier attacks, bigger guns... And only after weeks or months of play you get normal pvp or end game grind.
    MMORPG should be about journey and not destination. You should enjoy it from beginning. At least that is my opinion.

That is it exactly with Fallen Earth.  It's actually the whole journey that is incredibly fun. Right from the start.

But if you like themepark MMO's, who spoonfeed you, hate crafting, don't like skill based systems and want to pick a class right from the start.

Then Fallen Earth is nothing for you. Completely fine and understandable. But then just say so when reviewing the game and be honest.

This youtube review is clearly someone that doesn't like these type of games and is more like the WoW, EQ2, LOTRO type of player who likes to be spoonfed and handholded all the way through the game.

So he hardly played the game, had no clue what he was doing or what the whole game was about even. Didn't even bother to figure it out either. And then starts reviewing this game.

It's the same that I would go to a Ferrari car factory. Not knowing anything about car mechanics, design, etc... look around for 30 minutes in said factory and then start a indepth review of the Ferrari factory, it's cars and mechanics.

I would make a complete tool out of myself. Become the joke on the internet. Pretty much like this Youtube reviewer.

Cheers

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

As a production student, that video was terribly done with absolutely no focus at all. The audio was shit for the one guy who mumbled a lot and they used a lot of the same clips over and over again, which shows they spent no time actually gathering material OR they already created a script and couldn't find the in-game footage to match their scripts. Which means, A) either they didn't play long or B) they came into the game with a pre-concieved notion and still went with it despite the lack of evidence or footage to further their point. Bad job, bad job.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

It is a negative review, that does not jibe with all the fans so OF COURSE it is wrong.

Just sayin...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Slampig

It is a negative review, that does not jibe with all the fans so OF COURSE it is wrong.

Just sayin...

It's not about being a negative review. It's about these guys being completely clueless and didn't even bother to actually trying to figure things out and how and why things and mechanics work that way.

Some Examples:

* They were saying that salvaging is boring and pointless and just a stupid grind.  Appearently they had no clue that salvaging items gives you the materials you need for one of the games main features: CRAFTING!

* They were saying that range combat didn't work and that most oponents were just as fast as you are. This made me even more laugh, especially since they kept compairing this game with WoW. Well, let it happened to be me having played a hunter in WoW for over 2 years. These guys don't have a single clue how to play ranged combat. What kiting means. And how you can keep mobs on a distance. Just hilarious.

* They were saying that quests were nothing more then a concealed grind. This made me threw up my coffee and made me wonder if they ever played any MMO or RPG game at all. Or even WoW itself, as they so happily kept compairing with.  As ofcourse quests / missions are a concealed grind to get XP. EVERYONE knows that. It's at least more fun for the majority of us, then just mindlessly grinding the same mobs over and over to level up.  And in Fallen Earth, a lot of the mission chains in various towns are very well designed and mini stories on itself. Very fun to do.

And there are so many more hilarious and clueless comments in that video. It's a joke. Nothing more and nothing less.

If there was one single point I could completely agree on, then it's the landscapes. Those are indeed a bit dissapointing and I hope ICARUS will improve them over time. They already did during Beta. The difference between Friend & Family alpha and now in live is like night and day. So it can hopefully only get better, when they optimise their game engine more.

But the comment about tools like SpeedTree blew even that comment completely out of the water and made them look like complete ingorant fools!

As it's a well known fact, that SpeedTree isn't really a good tool to use for zone design in MMO games, because it's too much of a resource hog! And especially if you want to have large zones or a seamless gameworld. That's why hardly any MMO company uses tools like SpeedTree at all.  SpeedTree is mostly used for CGI in movies!

I was almost waiting for them to mention tools like Vue as well to make the joke complete.

Cheers

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

The author of that review disabled comments and ratings of the video... interesting.

Anyhow, who cares? A couple of shlubs post a video with their personal opinions about an MMOG, whoop dee doo. I've already voted with my wallet.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Once they said FE was a WoW clone with Fallout 3 representation, I knew we were in for a ride.

What this review says is: If your a World of Warcraft player, you may not like the game.

Also this was a level 1 to level 7 review of Fallen Earth I noticed and stated that they only put in about 10 hours of gameplay in.

They disabled their reviewer comments on their you tube site, a few players managed to get their comments in before they disabled it. 

Well anyways, looking at their you tube channel, all they had reviewed was Mount and Blade and had some other random videos.

Talk about having huge credibility here on reviewing mmorpgs games.