Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is slow-as-hell combat being fixed in the expansion?

rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

They talk about combat changes to make it more interesting. Anyone know what's actually being changed in detail? Will be it more fast-paced? Currently it's way too slow for me to enjoy.

Comments

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Yes it will be faster paced.

• lotrobloggerlotroblogger Member Posts: 19

I'll wait to see what the combat update looks like but I prefer the present 'slower pace'. This is one of the key things I like about LOTRO. I'm an 'older' gamer and the twitch factor of gaming turns me off with each additional year of age.

When a game makes my blood pressure go up, it's time to look for a different game ;)

Waldo Inkwell
    The LOTRO Chronicles

• PropheseusPropheseus Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by lotroblogger

I'll wait to see what the combat update looks like but I prefer the present 'slower pace'. This is one of the key things I like about LOTRO. I'm an 'older' gamer and the twitch factor of gaming turns me off with each additional year of age.
    When a game makes my blood pressure go up, it's time to look for a different game ;)

I do not think they will make it too fast. Playerbase of LotRO consists of many players below and above average and Turbine knows this. + It would change the feel of the game that is part of LotRO. We all know that could be desastrous.(winks to SWG and Warhammer 1.3.2)

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

I'm also very curious to see or hear more about this. Lotro's combat is what turned me off from the game, I felt it was a bit dull for my taste. This and also the character's animations, that were really subpar compared with the gorgeous environments. Otherwise it looked like a pretty good MMO with tons of content and a nice community.

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

They are definitely making combat faster paced. Not sure how fast, we will see.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • elvrageelvrage Member Posts: 43

I like the fact that your character actually has to turn instead of instantly facing a direction like in most MMOs. The jumping animation isn't the best but I can live with it. I'm currently leveling a Dwarf Champion which is relatively fun and so far I've not found the combat to be too slow paced. I've played games where the combat was MUCH slower (EQ).

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

So far what I have read. The only thing they try to address is the long server cooldown timer and make it shorter. So your character actually reacts directly to the skills you activate, without the horrible delays you have now.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I personally reall enjoy LotROs combat. I sincerely hope they don't it into the button-mashing-fest that WoW is.

<3

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

So far what I have read. The only thing they try to address is the long server cooldown timer and make it shorter. So your character actually reacts directly to the skills you activate, without the horrible delays you have now.

Exactly it is not the combat pace, as in how long the fight lasts, that is too slow, it is the response time after you use an ability that is slow.  I would love to see instant reactions with abilitys, like say WoW has, not having to wait on an animation to finish.  I enjoy the Burglar so much in LOTRO, but I do miss my WoW rogue's instant moves, WoW might suck in alot of ways, but it has great response time on the abilities. It would be awesome if they upgraded the combat system to that type of fluidity. 

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by elvrage

I like the fact that your character actually has to turn instead of instantly facing a direction like in most MMOs. The jumping animation isn't the best but I can live with it. I'm currently leveling a Dwarf Champion which is relatively fun and so far I've not found the combat to be too slow paced. I've played games where the combat was MUCH slower (EQ).

EQ wasn't really slow paced. I remember hitting 4,5+ skills at once like instill doubt, disarm, mend, kick, etc and it did all of them. It didn't show the animation for everything, but it did do it in the combat log. In lotro, doesn't it queue it up, so there is a delay between each skill.

So instants are not really instants. That was 1 of the problems I had with lotro that I think a lot dislike too.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Vynt

Originally posted by elvrage

EQ wasn't really slow paced. I remember hitting 4,5+ skills at once like instill doubt, disarm, mend, kick, etc and it did all of them. It didn't show the animation for everything, but it did do it in the combat log. In lotro, doesn't it queue it up, so there is a delay between each skill.

So instants are not really instants. That was 1 of the problems I had with lotro that I think a lot dislike too.

Almost every mmo has a global cooldown, even WoW does.  The problem with LOTRO isn't a global cooldown, it is that you have to go through all those animations, it's like it's on a swing timer as in Heroic strike on the WoW warrior along with a global cooldown.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

I personally am happy with things as they are. I also like faster pace, specifically age of conan. That style is very fun and interactive.

But still, for Lotro, i like it just the way it is.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Ambre

I'm also very curious to see or hear more about this. Lotro's combat is what turned me off from the game, I felt it was a bit dull for my taste. This and also the character's animations, that were really subpar compared with the gorgeous environments. Otherwise it looked like a pretty good MMO with tons of content and a nice community.

I haven't played Mines of Moria yet, but I got a couple of toons to 50 and I couldn't stand the lack of endgame content and the utter fail when it came to loot. Have they fixed either of these. As for combat, it was okay, but it could stand to be kicked up a notch, not too much, just a little :)

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• dionysus444dionysus444 Member Posts: 6

The problem you are all referring to is the autoattack delays.  As of SoM, the autoattack will be interuptable by your skills.  However, as it stands, if you play with your attack skills, you will notice that some have a quicker 'chain', allowing you to put off several skills inbetween autoattacks. 

• malefacusmalefacus Member Posts: 135

Exactly it is not the combat pace, as in how long the fight lasts, that is too slow, it is the response time after you use an ability that is slow.  I would love to see instant reactions with abilitys, like say WoW has, not having to wait on an animation to finish.  I enjoy the Burglar so much in LOTRO, but I do miss my WoW rogue's instant moves, WoW might suck in alot of ways, but it has great response time on the abilities. It would be awesome if they upgraded the combat system to that type of fluidity. 

Agreed totally

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

no, they don't need to make it more like WoW. if you want something more like WoW, there is a game you can play instead.... it's called WoW. allowing the auto-attacks to be skipped in combat is good. skipping combat animations for another skill to activate, is stupid, and makes the combat to arcade like. i have a level 60 champion, and haven't had a problem with combat at all. it feels more real, for lack of a better term. i think having agility effect combat animation could be a good idea. as in, the higher your agility, the faster you attack, the faster the animation runs.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I enjoy the pace of the combat.  I don't feel it's too "slow", especially for a hunter.  I can usually kill things before they get close enough to hit me, unless, of course, I miss.  The RK is another class that doesn't have "slow" combat.  Now, the minstrel battles seem a bit carried out, but that's to be expected...its a healing class and not a dps class.  I enjoy the pace of the combat as it is, I hope it isn't changed too much.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by dionysus444

The problem you are all referring to is the autoattack delays.  As of SoM, the autoattack will be interuptable by your skills.  However, as it stands, if you play with your attack skills, you will notice that some have a quicker 'chain', allowing you to put off several skills inbetween autoattacks. 

Just hope the animations don't become crappy because autoattacks will be interrupted by instant skills.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

Just a quick question im kinda confused as i've been away from LotRO since last winter. Did the speed up the combat with this new digital exapansion mirkwood?

• AnimusChaserAnimusChaser Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by reid424
    Just a quick question im kinda confused as i've been away from LotRO since last winter. Did the speed up the combat with this new digital exapansion mirkwood?

Somewhat they have.

They made a few skills instant casts. These skills interrupt all skills. They have also made it so your combat skills interrupt the auto attack animations, so even though you will still get the auto attack damage you no longer need to wait for the auto attack animation to go through to get your next skill off.

This in one little package gives the illusion of faster paced combat.

(I personally am no longer playing this game after 3 years it got a little boring (Beta tester) I still have many good friends that keep me up to date on all the changes though)

Oh Noes Its The Forum Police

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am an older gamer too, and trust me, often enough I have bitched about games getting to much to quick reaction timing. I hate this console-trend. But still, I feel much of the MMO combat is way too slow. Hacking 5 minutes on one godsforsaken bear... is a sort of a snoozefest. LOTRO really could get a *bit* more fast, meaning you move faster to the next mob. My patience these years has gotten thinner, on the contrary. I have less and less patience with each additional year of age, hacking on mobs for too long. I want the foes dead quickly and then off to the next to feel more heroic. Played the slow-pokes EQ2 combat many years, but sure as hell I don't want that back.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

lol this is so true. Being an older gamer the ticker has to come 1st to the game. That aside im just installing trial Lotro on my system (fingers crossed)

• Legato89Legato89 Member Posts: 297

Cool. I said I'd subscribe to this if they made combat faster and added meaningful pvp between characters. Ill see how fast they make combat before making an exception to the pvp condition since its unlikely because of the lollore.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by avalon1000

Yes it will be faster paced.

Faster paced or just less delay?  I think the current speed of it is fine, I just don't like how long it takes sometimes for non-induction manuevers to occur after I've tapped them.  i swear some of my induction manuevers occur faster...