Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age Origins Anyone?

Comments

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Derros

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Originally posted by Ranyr

I haven't kept up with the game much

Yet you still post and try to call it a rehashed NWN2?

yep

so why don't you try and help explain why it isn't?

Reading up and it still sounds like another nwn, hopefully less buggy.

No no no, rehash of Bauldur's gate 2 in an original universe.  Hurray!

Either way (NWN2 or Baldur's Gate; which Bioware has stated it is the spiritual successor to BG) I enjoyed both of those games and have DA:O Collectors on pre-order. I don't normally get the Collectors versions these days but I had $70 in Best Buy Gift Cards so I figured why not.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Pre Ordered CE version.  Cant wait for it tomorrow.

Sooner or Later

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

After quite a bit of deliberation about which version to get, I eventually caved and plopped down for the CE edition.

Sadly, have to wait until Friday now.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Getting my copy for the 360 tomorrow. Should be a great rpg.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Got it for the 360 was caught between it and pc will probly end up pickin up the pc version at some point live streams I have watched have only made me more anxious for it to arrive tomm looks like a great game with tons of hours gameplay..Most reviewers are sayin anywhere from 80-120 depending on if you do all the side quests not to mention dlc will be coming in for the game as time passes i think 2 dlc's will be available tomm as well.SO tons to do.Cannot wait.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

I pre-ordered the collector's edition from Amazon and they sent me an e-mail this morning saying that it shipped out. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow but more than likely it will Wednesday before it arrives.

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

Going to pick it up tomorrow!  Can't wait!

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo Member Posts: 106

Pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition from steam... have pre-loaded(love that feature) it...  but wont get to play with it until Nov 6th(T-Minus 3 days and 17 hours) as I live in Sweden. =)

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Have already Pre-ordered PC Version and Xbox 360 Version too :p

oooohhh my gawd I cant wait !!

Also its the only game that might drag me away from Fallen Earth for a few days !  :o

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Paid off my PC CE pre-order today, just gotta stop by and pick up my copy. Ugh can barely wait.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Game has shipped from Ebgames. Hoping for a delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to start this game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• IncendiousIncendious Member Posts: 20

Pre-ordered and pre-loaded from Direct2Drive. Waiting for the unlock code tomorrow at 10am!

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

I was playing most of yesterday as a Dwarf Rogue Noble, and I don't know, the game just isn't what I was expecting. I have to admit, I did not read up on the game much, but I thought that it had some sort of first person, or at least an over the shoulder camera view, with realtime combat. Nope. It does remind me a bit of Neverwinter Night 2, but the controls when using the WASD are much better. I hate the pausing to tell everyone what to do feature though. It makes all the combat seem very slow, and since it is basically a "Right click on enemy, and hope the attack hits" game, it doesn't feel all that engaging.

Now, yes, this might have been the angle they were going for, as it is similar to Neverwinter, but I still thought that they would have sped things up a bit, and made the combat a bit more "hands on", with twitch skills effecting something. I am still having a bit of fun with it, but with Borderlands out.... I feel myself drawn to play Borderlands a lot more, especially since I have already been playing a Hunter for the last three days.

I hope you all have fun with it, but it just doesn't seem to be my type.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

I haven't kept up with the game much, but from what i've seen it looks just like another NWN2 with a different setting and flashy animations.
    So what's the appeal?

Congratulations, you just basically said every game in existence is unappealing.  After all, ever game is basically just a rehash of another game with "different settings and flashy animations".  Hell, as a matter of fact every book and every Movie that comes out is basically just retelling the same stories with different settings and different characters. 

Your life must be very unappealing.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Incendious

Pre-ordered and pre-loaded from Direct2Drive. Waiting for the unlock code tomorrow at 10am!

It's painful isn't it?  You know its there, just sitting on your hard-drive waiting to be played...

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Rallycart

I was playing most of yesterday as a Dwarf Rogue Noble, and I don't know, the game just isn't what I was expecting. I have to admit, I did not read up on the game much, but I thought that it had some sort of first person, or at least an over the shoulder camera view, with realtime combat. Nope. It does remind me a bit of Neverwinter Night 2, but the controls when using the WASD are much better. I hate the pausing to tell everyone what to do feature though. It makes all the combat seem very slow, and since it is basically a "Right click on enemy, and hope the attack hits" game, it doesn't feel all that engaging.
    Now, yes, this might have been the angle they were going for, as it is similar to Neverwinter, but I still thought that they would have sped things up a bit, and made the combat a bit more "hands on", with twitch skills effecting something. I am still having a bit of fun with it, but with Borderlands out.... I feel myself drawn to play Borderlands a lot more, especially since I have already been playing a Hunter for the last three days.
    I hope you all have fun with it, but it just doesn't seem to be my type.

You don't pause to tell team mates what to do, use the strategy scripts to give them commands. IE, setting them to pot at 50% health etc. Game is fine, actually the game is simply awesome, the story is very well done.

Originally posted by greed0104

You don't pause to tell team mates what to do, use the strategy scripts to give them commands. IE, setting them to pot at 50% health etc. Game is fine, actually the game is simply awesome, the story is very well done.

I never said anything was wrong with the game, and yes, the story is good. However, using pause, and manually controlling people is more effective, and I find scriped party members doing stupid things constantly. It is the same gripe I had with NWN2. And I still wish it had more of a hands on feel. For example, when I was doing the Proving with my Rogue, he had a sword and shield. Going into the first fight, I thought I would be able to actively block, and time my attacks, as well as circle the enemy while slashing. Nope. Basically, there is only one effective strategy. Pause game at start, select opponent, use Dirty Tricks, unpause, let Dirty Tricks stun them, pause game, right click behind them, unpause, watch character walk, pause game, start auto attack, unpause, and watch as your backstabs destroy them while they are stunned.

Being that you don't even need to click for each attack, and it is just auto swing... Seems a bit like I am just an observer. Now, yes, I do get more skills, and can more actively use them in combat, but most of the skills ahve cooldowns of 15 seconds or more, some are like, 30 and above. That leaves me still watching auto swing most of the time.

Once again, this might be someone's preference, and if so, then this game is for you. Borderlands is much more action based, and plays a bit more on skill and twitch, while Dragon Age is more of a strategists game I guess. To each their own.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Best RPG I've played in a while. Kudos to Bioware.

P.S.: Why are we discussing Borderlands? That's a whole different genre. Good game as well.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Best RPG I've played in a while. Kudos to Bioware.
    P.S.: Why are we discussing Borderlands? That's a whole different genre. Good game as well.

I would not say that it is a WHOLE different genre. It is a shooter RPG. Just a first person, limited melee version of Diablo. I was simply saying that being that Borderlands just came out, I find it hard to play Dragon Age Origins. It has happened to many a game. They release to close to another game, and the other game just appeals more. If Dragon Age released a month ago, I would bet that I would have been all over it. Instead, it will be sitting on my harddrive until I get bored of Borderlands.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Sure I'm buying it...

Here's hoping it's a lot more like Baldur's Gate 2 than Neverwinter Nights.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Lowdos

Originally posted by Illyssia

I think Dragon Age Origins will be really Rad, and certainly I will purchase and play it at some stage. However, I am definitely researching the best game-play option for it. Ideally, I would like to play it on PS3, but if there is anything significantly better about the PC version it may be the way I go to game this one. I guess I just have to check the net and then pick my path.

I'm guessing there will be a mod-community for the game, which is more than enough reason to go with the PC version. I guess it really all comes down to specs and personal preference, however.

I have, though, read that downloadable content subsequent to release may be make its way to the consoles as Well. I have also read that in terms of gaming experience the various versions are slightly different, and noticeably in terms of graphics, but the PC version seems to be slightly superior to the PS3 version overall. It is though nice to play a console game on a large HDTV, though, so that could swing it for me.  

• SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341

totally gonna get it whenever i can. with my job, i can't always go out and buy something whenever i want. hopefully i can get another run to a best buy somewhere in anywhere america.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Yeah too bad it's NOT co-op as this thread title suggests.  Sounds like the best things since diablo 2 and no co-op, sheesh.  Same ol excuse, "we really wanted to focus on the single-player story experience, bla bla bla."  Risen was what oblivion should have been btw although it looks like I won't be able to finish risen either.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I will be buying it for sure, I buy every game from Bioware, and this one looks like an awesome RPG.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

So far it has gotten stellar reviews, as in maybe the best rated game of all time, or at least in a decade, since BaldersGate 2.  I am going to pick up my copy after work and I'll post a review of my own on here.