Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of you in beta...

I'd like to know, what's your gaming set up? I'm just curious to know if my computer will be able to handle the game.I'd like to know, what's your gaming set up? How does it run on your system? Please don't tell me anything that would break the NDA, because I'm not after that sort of information, I'm just curious to know if my computer will be able to handle the game.

Comments

• MasterChaosXMasterChaosX Member Posts: 52

I guess im clueless but ive been seeing this word alot and im wondering

WTF IS NDA?????

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by MasterChaosX

I guess im clueless but ive been seeing this word alot and im wondering

WTF IS NDA?????

Non-Disclosure Agreement.  In other words, what goes on in beta, stays in beta and they can actually sue you if they decide to prove you broke the NDA.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

Anyone that is in the beta would be breaking the NDA by saying that they were in the beta, so you won't get any replies to your question without someone breaking the NDA. I would assume that the system reqs. are similar to Champions Online's

• vlhergvlherg Member UncommonPosts: 14

It was posted in the STO forums that you can say you are in beta (though they advise against it) but must not give out any details of the game.

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by vlherg

It was posted in the STO forums that you can say you are in beta (though they advise against it) but must not give out any details of the game.

I sincerely doubt it.

• DjfusionDjfusion Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Keyh

I sincerely doubt it.

Any NDA I had to follow it was atleast ok to say yes or no to being in a beta. For example, Yes I am in the APB beta...

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Yeah, I doubt you'll get the response that you want from a beta tester.   However, you may look at the system specs for Champions Online.  Since the 6 month/Lifers get into beta, I would say that the system specs would be quite similar.

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by junzo316

Yeah, I doubt you'll get the response that you want from a beta tester.   However, you may look at the system specs for Champions Online.  Since the 6 month/Lifers get into beta, I would say that the system specs would be quite similar.

What he said ^^

• eric2020eric2020 Member UncommonPosts: 11

lol :)

i keep reading that star trek online is in beta but even with a life time sub in champions online i havent been invited in yet . .

so far i havent even been able to get in touch with cryptic to see what's up.

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by gingus418

I'd like to know, what's your gaming set up? I'm just curious to know if my computer will be able to handle the game.I'd like to know, what's your gaming set up? How does it run on your system? Please don't tell me anything that would break the NDA, because I'm not after that sort of information, I'm just curious to know if my computer will be able to handle the game.

Well, giving away this kind of information, could (!) be a NDA violation too.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

NDA's are only applied to games by the developers when they dont have much faith in their own creation.

When I see an NDA on a game I cross it off my "maybe" list.

• AlamiasAlamias Member Posts: 20

Wow, then you must cross all games off your list.  All MMO's that I have ever come across have an NDA in closed beta. 

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Been in a lot of betas, and never seen one that did not have an NDA. Even single player games have betas, and they all have NDA's too.

So if you mark off games with NDA's.. umm not much left:) maybe browser games?:)

Edit, sorry was off topic.  Yes the devs posted in STO forums that they prefer people not tell other that they are in beta, but that it is allowed if they choose to tell.

And if you go look at Champions online game site and look for the stats needed for that as had been said. Same engine, so it will be very close to that games needs for computer needs i bet.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by coffee

NDA's are only applied to games by the developers when they dont have much faith in their own creation.
    When I see an NDA on a game I cross it off my "maybe" list.

NDA's are standard practice, and have nothing to do with faith in their product. It servers two major purposes. First off, it keeps thier ideas out of the mainstream, and helps to provent other MMO's from stealing things out from under them before they can release. Nothing like having a bunch of cool, original ideas, just to have WoW add them before you, and then your MMO looks like it is just copying things from WoW.

Second, it keeps the mass hysteria down. In beta, every game has problems. That is just normal. However, if people could freely discuss it, it might cause panic where none is warranted. If a bunch of people come out and say "Yep, today's patch really screwed things up, and now we cant even log in game" or "It would be nice if more than just half the skills worked... And half the quests are bugged!" Then people who are not in beta might get a sour taste in their mouth and never even bother with the game from just a few negative comments. It doesn't matter that the game isn't finished, or that it might be fixed in a few weeks. They heard something bad, and now they are stearing away from it. That is the way things go, people are sheep.

Originally posted by Alamias

Wow, then you must cross all games off your list.  All MMO's that I have ever come across have an NDA in closed beta. 

No NDA on WoW

All other MMO's since have sux and all had an NDA.. hummm.. j/k.. cept WoW realy didin't have an NDA

Its in a developers interested to reach as many people as possible why hide it away like they got something to hide?

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

The following is from Cryptic on the STO forum:

Hi everyone!

We at Cryptic are all very excited to finally be going into Closed Beta for Star Trek Online! It's been a long time coming, and we can't wait to let you all have a chance to experience the Star Trek universe in a way that hasn't been possible until now.

Of course, now that you know we're in Closed Beta, you probably have a few questions, so let me explain how this works, and some of things we want you, our fans to know and understand.

First, let me talk about beta invitations. For every period of the beta, we have a set goal for the amount of players we have on the server during any play test. (Internally, we refer to this as our target CCU, or concurrent users.) This is done to ensure server stability during the play tests, as well as allow us to gather our beta testers' feedback in an efficient manner. When we raise our target CCU, we also send out more invitations. At first, the number of people in the closed beta is going to be very small. Over time we'll slowly invite more people in order to meet our ever increasing target CCU.

We also value your feedback, and we want to make sure that we have a wide variety of computer set ups, and people in the game. When we send out invitations, we choose who gets an invite based on demographics, and random sampling. If you have been guaranteed a beta slot, you are guaranteed to gain access during the course of the Closed Beta. Due to our requirements you may not make it into the first round or two of invites. But don’t worry: More invites are coming!

I also want to remind everyone about the NDA. All of our beta testers are required to sign and abide by a Non-Disclosure Agreement between Cryptic Studios and the individual Beta Tester. What this means is that if you are participating in the Closed Beta, you are not allowed to talk about the Closed Beta outside of the Closed Beta forums we have established here on the official website. We also highly recommend that you do not share with anyone that you are a beta tester. If you are found or believed to be in breach of the NDA, we will remove your access to the Closed Beta. Something none of us wants to do.

Once you are accepted to the beta, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that you have been invited. Also, if for some reason you do not get the e-mail, the "Apply Now" button on the main Star Trek Online page will change to notify you that you have been accepted, when you are logged in to the web site.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions,

Stormshade

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

No NDA on WoW

All other MMO's since have sux and all had an NDA.. hummm.. j/k.. cept WoW realy didin't have an NDA

Its in a developers interested to reach as many people as possible why hide it away like they got something to hide?

Ya wow had an nda. They just did it right and kept it in Alpha testing for a long time. But just type wow nda in google and you get the answer to what their NDA looked like, basicly the same as all the rest.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Djfusion

Originally posted by Keyh

I sincerely doubt it.

Any NDA I had to follow it was atleast ok to say yes or no to being in a beta. For example, Yes I am in the APB beta...

Actually you are not suppose to say if you are in the APB beta or not.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

Originally posted by DarLorkar

No NDA on WoW

Ya wow had an nda. They just did it right and kept it in Alpha testing for a long time. But just type wow nda in google and you get the answer to what their NDA looked like, basicly the same as all the rest.

The Original WoW enjoyed atleast 6 months of no NDA and the two expansions TBC & Wrath had no NDA once in public beta.  And public beta lasted several months.

My gripe with NDA's is developers keep them on untill a week or some to the games release.. WAR is an example.

Lotro had an NDA on their expansions.. what crap is that?

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by DarLorkar

No NDA on WoW

The Original WoW enjoyed atleast 6 months of no NDA and the two expansions TBC & Wrath had no NDA once in public beta.  And public beta lasted several months.

My gripe with NDA's is developers keep them on untill a week or some to the games release.. WAR is an example.

Lotro had an NDA on their expansions.. what crap is that?

WoW had an NDA in private closed beta (we all had to accept the terms of said agreement.) Once it hit public beta the NDA was lax but still there until the game hit open beta when the NDA was dropped.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• EndevourEndevour Member Posts: 10

I think the choice of open beta and closed beta might play here.  Closed betas will have a NDA, but when it goes to Open Beta,  they usually have secured the legal rights to there property and thats why they open it up to almost anyone.  Now those who say beta's do not have an NDA, were you in the Closed Beta or the Open Beta.

• GhumpGhump Member UncommonPosts: 11

The difference here is that what the MMO games call an "open beta" other games call a demo. Its 99% about PR. And because of that it would be downright stupid to have the NDA there.....

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

I lost track of this one is it still going to be only space like eve? or will there be ground missions?

not trying to flame just wondering

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Mathos

I lost track of this one is it still going to be only space like eve? or will there be ground missions?

not trying to flame just wondering

Ground missions are in, but from what I've read the space portion of the game is far more polished at this point.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

It is fairly pointless to ask for system specs at the moment.

STO has only just entered beta and the system requirements for early beta are always way higher (yet produce way lower performance) than the release version.