Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: ability to turn back time

jadoncjadonc Member Posts: 136

I am one of the old Pre-CU players that keep looking back. MMO after MMO looking for that same experience. /sigh

I'm a simple guy who one week might want to blow stuff up in game and gather resources the next week so that I can craft and make stuff for my vendors. Must have player housing, must have pets, must have crafting system that the rest of the game depends on, must have busy streets.

Help me find a comparable MMO to SWG Pre-CU and I will mow your lawn for a month or at least say thank you.

Does the new Star Wars MMO bring hope to a lost galaxy?

Comments

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

No, and the closest thing you can get to a good sandbox is EVE.    EVE has a good crafting system its is very complex.    And it is leveled.    You wont be making big ships for a long time.    And its more team based.    Crafting for the guild is where its at.    Pooled resources.      One guy is going to find it tuff to craft in EVE.     It plain isnt worth it.     

Everquest II has only a few populated servers but it has a good crafting system and economy close to what your thinking about.    It is very close to SWG, same company made it so youll see simularitys.      Id wait a while.    SOE is makeing a new flagship game, I think that will be the next good crafting game.     Dont expect it to be out for a while though.    And its still a secret whatever it is.  

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224

Is SWG: Pre-CU was as "amazing" as people say it was... there would be an emulator by now and private servers running it.

Every other MMORPG has private servers and emulators. Some within months of the game releasing.

I have a very strong theory that SWG Pre-Cu was NOT this amazingly perfect MMORPG that ushered in the golden age.

My theory is that instead, it's a niche game that wasn't even that good, but since people "remember the good" but forget the bad, all they can do is reflect on the "glory days" of Pre-Cu, which in reality wasn't anything special because its flaws hindered it as much as its positives gave it "glory".

I have been playing MMORPG's for over 10 years, and I was around Ultima Online Pre-Trammel and Everquest 1.

Everquest 1 was amazing because it was the first 3D MMORPG that was worth anything, and was epic in scope. In reality, the game actually isn't that good. It's a massive time sink. I was a young teenager when I played it, so I didn't mind wasting 18 hours to accomplish nothing.

Ultima Online was and is a great game, but not because of pre-trammel or because of trammel.

In fact, pre trammel was NOT as good as people say it was. Everyone is nostalgic for the "glory days" of UO pre-trammel. Most of them were also 13 at the time and didnt mind being griefed repeatedly and playing a game with massive time sinks.

I do indeed miss Ultima Online, but NOT because of pre-trammel. I miss it because of the PvP. This PvP stayed after trammel, and became very cool with the city captures and Four guild sides.

I certainly do NOT want to turn back time. Everquest 1 would bore me to death and frustrate me to no end. Ultima Online would make me think "...why am I paying 14.95 a month for this?" after I lost 3 hours of hard work for some lame-ass reason. And although SWG: Pre-Cu sounds amazing, I know in reality it was not that amazing. As every "glory day" for these three MMO's, the reality is far from the nostalgia.

People tend to remember the positives of these old games, and forget the negatives which were the reasons for the changes.

• DailusDailus Member Posts: 80

Honestly I think SWG has everything the original poster is asking for right now. You are allowed two characters per server now so if you want to play a combat toon one week and a crafter the next no problem just make an alt. Don't want to make an alt? No problem you can respect for free once a month or pay if thats too long to wait.

I played SWG before the nge and the character development was simply brilliant, but thats where my cheerleading ends for pre-nge. SWG is superior in everyway I can think of now than it was pre-nge with the exception of the removal of 32 professions with a skill based progression.

I know someone is going to say the servers are dead. I also know someone will disagree with me on this point, but I play on Starsider and that server is very much alive. There are also half a dozen other servers that are far from dead. 

IMO if SOE had launched the current game with the originals professions / character progression they would easily have hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Now we all know thats just a pipe dream, but SWG is still worth every bit of the 50 cents a day it costs to play.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by Dailus

IMO if SOE had launched the current game with the originals professions / character progression they would easily have hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Now we all know thats just a pipe dream, but SWG is still worth every bit of the 50 cents a day it costs to play.

SWG did have hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

But you have to wonder how the original concept of SWG was sold to the powers that be? They must have had some market research that supported the concept of a complex and dynamic Star Wars MMO right? So I would say it was mismanagement that caused SWG to not achieve it's expectations, and mismanagement still continues to affect SWG.

• arcana666arcana666 Member Posts: 52

I've been back to SWG to try the new NGE on several occasions - SOE occasionally reactivate my account.  I hate it.  Playing it makes me angry because I remember what it used to be like and now all that's left is this bastard version.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by arcana666

I've been back to SWG to try the new NGE on several occasions - SOE occasionally reactivate my account.  I hate it.  Playing it makes me angry because I remember what it used to be like and now all that's left is this bastard version.

I wouldn't say it makes me feel angry. It simply doesn't make me feel anything - not even entertained.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Angelof2070

Is SWG: Pre-CU was as "amazing" as people say it was... there would be an emulator by now and private servers running it.

Google before you speak.  There are at least two in the works, one with an open test server.  You can play-test on that one and see what pre-CU was all about.  Not feature-complete yet, of course, and some things like vehicles and harvesters are currently disabled because of bugs until the Object Revamp (I think it's called) goes up on the test server.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

SWG was an amazing game to play, but the condition of the actual game was a trainwreck.  Honestly the original game barely functioned, so I can only assume any emulator would be that much harder to create. 

Not to mention SWG has more systems to work with due to the nature of the game.  The resource system alone sounds like it would be a harder task to emulate than anything other games have to tackle. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by jadonc

ToR is NOT SWG.

Bioware is NOT SoE.

Hope, yes. Pre-CU, no.

Different games entirely - play ToR KNOWING that it is not pre-CU SWG. I hope ToR shocks me, but I have very low expectations. I'm not a Bioware fan, nor am I a Bioware voiceover, story driven, slow ass gameplay, psudo Star Warsy environment fan. However...I did play SWG for years AFTER the NGE...ToR will be no worse. And until Bioware adds in pink flying Ewoks with purple hearts and zombies, they'll be better than what SoE can offer us.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by jadonc

I am one of the old Pre-CU players that keep looking back. MMO after MMO looking for that same experience. /sigh
    I'm a simple guy who one week might want to blow stuff up in game and gather resources the next week so that I can craft and make stuff for my vendors. Must have player housing, must have pets, must have crafting system that the rest of the game depends on, must have busy streets.
    Help me find a comparable MMO to SWG Pre-CU and I will mow your lawn for a month or at least say thank you.

Try Fallen Earth.

I'm in it now and it has a very similair feel to early SWG.  It's not a pure sandbox and it has some issues to work out, but it has a decent crafting system, developing economy, nonlinear gameplay and player housing on the drawing board (Pets?  Not really, but you can get a horse . . .)  You may recapture some of the magic lost from SWG.

I did.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Every other MMORPG has private servers and emulators. Some within months of the game releasing.

I have a very strong theory that SWG Pre-Cu was NOT this amazingly perfect MMORPG that ushered in the golden age.

My theory is that instead, it's a niche game that wasn't even that good, but since people "remember the good" but forget the bad, all they can do is reflect on the "glory days" of Pre-Cu, which in reality wasn't anything special because its flaws hindered it as much as its positives gave it "glory".

I have been playing MMORPG's for over 10 years, and I was around Ultima Online Pre-Trammel and Everquest 1.
    Everquest 1 was amazing because it was the first 3D MMORPG that was worth anything, and was epic in scope. In reality, the game actually isn't that good. It's a massive time sink. I was a young teenager when I played it, so I didn't mind wasting 18 hours to accomplish nothing.
    Ultima Online was and is a great game, but not because of pre-trammel or because of trammel.

In fact, pre trammel was NOT as good as people say it was. Everyone is nostalgic for the "glory days" of UO pre-trammel. Most of them were also 13 at the time and didnt mind being griefed repeatedly and playing a game with massive time sinks.

I do indeed miss Ultima Online, but NOT because of pre-trammel. I miss it because of the PvP. This PvP stayed after trammel, and became very cool with the city captures and Four guild sides.

I certainly do NOT want to turn back time. Everquest 1 would bore me to death and frustrate me to no end. Ultima Online would make me think "...why am I paying 14.95 a month for this?" after I lost 3 hours of hard work for some lame-ass reason. And although SWG: Pre-Cu sounds amazing, I know in reality it was not that amazing. As every "glory day" for these three MMO's, the reality is far from the nostalgia.
    People tend to remember the positives of these old games, and forget the negatives which were the reasons for the changes.

If I had a dime for every pre-trammel UO player on these forums I would own the site. You obviously did not play swg during this period. If you had, you would not feel the need to ball out your mmo resume. And, for your obviously educated information, there is a server which will not be discussed out there, which is developed by very talented people. The problem though, is there was no reason to emulate a game that most subscribers (not trials, subscribers) found worth the money to keep playing. SWG was not Lineage 2, hacking that server took them 2 minutes, the gameplay was that shallow. We played swg on official servers, simple as that...When they changed the game, so did the attitude towards a emulator.

Turns out, the game was more complicated than the pile most mmo companies churn out...especially when you are trying to patch back to 2003.

I guess you know this and all, being another random 2009 pre-trammel player.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Yes. Turn back time. If nothing changes, then it's destined to hit NGE.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished