Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P gameplay: Whats your vision ingame?

O.k, I know a lot of people complain about the F2P genre. and that they just don't like it.

But, IF you were to actually be enticed, into playing a F2P:

How would it have to be setup for you to enjoy?

• Cash shop vs. The "14.99" monthly fee: Base a game on the idea you would use a cash shop. How would you, as an average monthly subscription player, or avid usual F2P player want to see your idea of an item mall, and a general run down of its stock.
  • Solo or Group Orientated Experience: A lot of the "just off the line" F2P games boast heavily towards a solo perspective on the game with a secondary focus on grouping. If this game was to keep you playing, which do the majority of you prefer?

• PVP? Personally, I enjoy PVP. If its done right. Standing in one spot trading blows back and forth till someone dies and respawns is an epic fail to me. Would you make it a primary focus aswell, or put it to the side and be an extra for when your just bored? How would you run a PVP system so it didn't run into being another fail?
  • Instances vs. The world: The usual question. Do you like bumping into people in areas/dungeons etc, or would you like to have your own little space.
  • Mini Compacts or Exploration: Smaller areas with less to explore and quicker to get around, or large explorable areas?

No, I'm not some self proclaimed game dev or starting up some MMO.

I'm just sitting here on a sunday night after kids are all into bed, read a few threads on the whole "F2P is evil and unfair" basically, and curious as to what people would want in a F2P that would get them to play.

We know P2P is safe, because its all we end up having to pay, at least until the next expansion is out.

But if you did consider a F2P, drop in, tell your version. Add in all you want, from number available races to play, to your desired character growth setup, number of jobs you would consider as a minimum to maximum. Anything.

Here's my boredom topic, and looking to trade posts back and forth about it.

Anyone else, eh, the off topic forums that'a way XD  /point.

Comments

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

Comitment towards an established comunity, i would go back to my old f2p if they only had that...

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• jayfly95jayfly95 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Caleveira

Comitment towards an established comunity, i would go back to my old f2p if they only had that...

Alright, but what kind of a commitment are you looking for?. Wether you'd be a paying player or not.

Customer service wise, or as in when a dev team posts in forums, "Tell us what you want well try to work it in"? <<< then most never do. heh I'd definately like to play one that actually does what it promises if enough players ask, request it. Otherwise why do they bother asking us for opinions as their player base >.<

• MasterChaosXMasterChaosX Member Posts: 52

combine the two things i like. games and women

so LOTS of NAKED WOMEN in F2P games!!!!!!!! :D

No rule changes every few months to boost their sales. Simple as that. In my old f2p there were some mounts you could only get doing something called a Dragon quest. These were heavy grinders (im talking brutal) that required you to travel all across the map (this alone could take hours). Wash, rinse, repeat. Something like say 100 times since getting the mount required you to get 20 silver badges and you had a one in ten chance of getting those everytime you got to finally turn one of these quests in.

People worked for the mounts, they were a badge of honor. You needed to pour either months in the game doing dull repetitive tasks, or charge upwards of $200 to buy the badges off of other players which would still take you a couple of weeks looking for people selling. I personally never cared for them but those who went through the trouble got something very rare they could show off. Not the fastest or better designed mounts either, just the hardest to get. That is until they decided to add them to the item mall for $30 a pop.

This sort of betrayal is a mainstay of f2p games and a disrespect to all their veterans. Overpowered pets, endgear, even levels... eventually all becomes available in the item mall. This is what i meant. We had good professional GMs that were obviously caught between corporate and the players, good suport, few bugs, a great game, an even better comunity.

I would never go back unless i could trust the company to properly manage the game, and know from discussing this with other players that no such company exists. So this is what it would take for me to go back to my old f2p, or to try another game using the RMT model. Trust. Its the one thing no f2p can promise me.

I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

I would have to agree with you about the mounts for sure.

Sent in game to work your butt off for a certain reward then have it ganked out from you like that does sound crappy.

So you would have prefered, that what they had offered in game as the reward the only place to have gotten that mount.

I know most F2P games will unbalance due to the cash shops. And usually end up doing what you said about mounts an such.

So you would prefer things from the in game rewards to not be involved in the cash shop? Or at least some kind of proper balance a dev team will stick with and not deviate from?

I like that consumables are available in cash shops and such, instead of in game pots in stacks of 10-99, i can get 999 in one stack and so on. Saves me space when farming higher level mobs anyways.

Originally posted by jayfly95

I would have to agree with you about the mounts for sure.
    Sent in game to work your butt off for a certain reward then have it ganked out from you like that does sound crappy.
    So you would have prefered, that what they had offered in game as the reward the only place to have gotten that mount.
    I know most F2P games will unbalance due to the cash shops. And usually end up doing what you said about mounts an such.
    So you would prefer things from the in game rewards to not be involved in the cash shop? Or at least some kind of proper balance a dev team will stick with and not deviate from?
    I like that consumables are available in cash shops and such, instead of in game pots in stacks of 10-99, i can get 999 in one stack and so on. Saves me space when farming higher level mobs anyways.

The funny thing is most mounts (including the better ones) were available through the cash shop. I dont mind consumables (as long as you can farm them in game) being available either. Even somewhat unbalancing cash shop items (xp boosts and such) im alright with. But things that are ingame rewards or endgear is crossing a line. And the thing is f2ps will always cross the line because no matter how good their design is, the bottom line is theyll make more money that way.

Cant argue with the bussiness side of things, which is the reason that players, like me, who want to stick to a game for longer than a few months will never find a home in f2ps. I love PvP, if you dont spend much (say, the $15 a month youd spend on a sub) you may be at a slight disadvantage but its not that big a deal. Once the game openly becomes a wallet race there is no point to it anymore. The f2p model is inherently flawed because of this, and i hope the player base wises up to this and prevents the model from replacing p2p. We all vote with our wallets.

I hear you.

This year has been huge for the players mass playing more and more F2P.

It'll never happen, most likely lol, but too bad there isnt people out there who would make one (F2P) with customers AND regular players in mind out there, that would be happy making a few dollars less, and focusing more on the player base itself.

I agree, such a game would be awesome. Its not such a bad idea from a bussiness point of view either, since it could manage some absurd retention rates if it could stand out from the competition as a truly free to play game. You could drop it off for some months and go back, or even keep it as a second game since it would require no payment to keep an acount active. Add quality on par with AAA titles and polished gameplay and this could potentially become your WOW killer... except that, as youve said, it will never get made.