Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 reasons you must play Torchlight

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hmm, I loved Diablo 1, and hated Diablo 2.  Which one is this game more like?

Or does it stand on its own merits?

Probably doesn't matter, I'd have to wait for the multi-player version, I haven't enjoyed single player games for years now that I have MMORPG's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by sadeisinsane
    Originally posted by Dubhlaith  

Yes. Blizzard is not comprised of the same people. They are greedy, arrogant, jerks now that care more about marketing and capitalization of their IP than they do about games or the gaming community. That is why so very many people in Blizzard left the company. There was a big fuss years ago around the time WoW was about to be released. That is the biggest reason WoW was amazing when it was released and has become complete shite since.
    I plan to Vote "No" to Blizzard. They represent what horrible things can happen to a company with too big a head, and I can only vote with money. You can vote with your money too.

I don't understand how you can make the above statement.  Blizzard, regardless of who does or does not work for them at this point do spend a great deal of effort in providing games that are very well polished.  They provide new content for their games from time to time, some being in expansions, and some with just patch updates.  They provide Blizzcon which allows you as a gamer to go see what's going on, try out new stuff, and they give a ton of free stuff away while your there as well. They support games like Diablo 2, and Starcraft that have been around for years, yet they still maintain active servers for the fans that still play.  Even though you do have to pay for some stuff, like subscription fees to WoW (if you play), and tickets to Blizzcon (if you want to go), that's not anything different then what you would do if you played another game that required a monthly fee, or went to a different gaming convention.
    Allthough I no longer to care for playing WoW, it doesn't mean that  Blizzard sucks, it just means I don't like playing WoW anymore because it just doesn't hold my interests anymore, I have moved on.  Its still a high quality, well polished game with very few problems, and Blizzard must be doing something right to have the most popular game on the planet.  To accomplish that would require more of them then just being greedy, arrogant jerks.  They have pursued what the majority of their players enjoy in the game and have continued to provide for them.  It may not be what I would have liked to see in the game, but I am not like the majority of the gamers that still play WoW.
    I am seriously amazed at how  many people on this website bash on everything, whether it be a person or a company, because they dont agree.

As I said, any quality that WoW still holds is a direct result of people that no longer work for the company. Blizzard used to the be best company in the industry, and they put out games that top everything. They are the ones that gave WoW its polished feel. In fact, even though much of Blizzard's features were modified versions of other things, since then, Blizzard has only managed to take directly the ideas of other games or even private modders to change the game UI and such. And, I never declared that WoW lacked polish. In fact, as you can see from other posts I have written, I declare WoW to be the most polished game on the market by a large margin. It still has the best low-level content by far, and I think everyone should check that out. What the game became after Vanilla is the problem. Blizzard was once the "by gamers for gamers" company, and now they are not.

Let me give you an example. I assume you have played enough to know what I am talking about. Shattrath city received nothing but negative feedback from players with regards to one city for the entire population. Everyone complained about stuttering because of the number of people there. So what does Blizzard do? They create another city for everyone that is even smaller. Note that both of these cities were designed and produced by what I tend to call the "New Blizzard."

Okay, so what else did I say that seemed to upset you? Greed and Marketalization. You seem to like Blizzcon, and yes, it is cool and fun, but it makes a large amount of money for Blizzard. They are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They have television commercials like I never thought we would see for games. So many, very high budget commercials. With celebrities! This is one of the reasons it has so many players. Many people that were never gamers did not really know what it was like, and now they love it. For that, though, I suppose we should thank Blizzard. More players in the community is (usually) a good thing. They give content updates considerably slower than other companies, and they make you pay full price for them. Look at Everquest with their massive content updates. And each time you buy one of the many expansions, you also get every expansion that came before it. Blizzard still makes you buy each one separately, and each new one means you must have the previous ones in order to play.

They have their own magazine, a card game, a board game, PEGGLE BOARDS. They are trying to broaden the market of the game to encompass everything to bring everyone in and keep them in. This is all about keeping WoW visible. That is something the old Blizzard, and every other game company short of *gag* Pokemon, does not do. (For the record, I really enjoyed the first Pokemon Blue. I got sick of what they did after a while though, same as what Blizzard is doing now.)

I am not saying Blizzard is a...bad company. A poorly run company. I am saying they are bad people, like evil. Not evil, but bad in that sense. I think they are greedy and arrogant and that is the reason so many people left. We are not talking the regular folks either, we are talking the heads of design and development of every IP. The good people got out when they say what was happening.

I am not bashing Blizzard because I do not like their games. I do not like what has been done to it, but I want to bring it to people's attention that the reason WoW now is so very very different from WoW at release is that it is being developed by totally different people, and, frankly, I don't like what they are doing to it. I do, however, think WoW was once great and is now complete shite. I do think I am allowed to voice my opinions on forums such as this. I do not bash most things, as you will see if you talk to me much. I do applaud companies that try something new, and I even at least bought the box of all the games in my signature because I think it is our job as consumers to vote with our dollar, and I was saying here what my vote will be.

I am sure Diablo III and Starcraft II will be polished. Frankly, they cannot afford to not maintain the level of polish that the old Blizzard had, because that will draw attention to the difference, and they are still coasting on the efforts of people like those that made Guild Wars and Torchlight here. They have the most popular game on the planet as a direct result of the efforts of these people, and not their own. I want to say this again to make sure I have impressed it upon you. The people that designed the core concepts of WoW, and designed and developed the 1-60 experience of Vanilla are NOT the same people that are designing and developing for WoW. WoW became so popular during Vanilla, and is still gaining popularity because it has reached a sort of critical mass ala Harry Potter or Twilight, where people play it now because everyone else does, or their friends do. Most people I spoke with in WoW play because their friends do. That is the first thing they say when asked why they play. Think about that when you talk about how Blizzard keeps making winning plays.

So yes, I do hate what WoW has become, but that was not the point of my post. The point of my post is the point of many of my posts. I want to draw attention to the fact that the Blizzard of today is not the Blizzard of yesterday, because many people do not seem to know this. And I do think they are greedy, arrogant jerks on the order of SOE now, and they are not the amazing people that made the amazing games I used to play.

To the people that agreed with me, I wanted to thank you, you seem to have paid attention to what has happened with Blizzard in the past decade. I think it is important that we know about the companies that produce the games we play. We need to understand what is happening behind the scenes, the same as we should understand Microsoft, or our Banks. These are the people doing stuff for us, and we should know about them. But yes, thanks for understanding.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

It's a good game, I'd even dare to say one of the best released this year, and it's 30 euro cheaper than your average title made by a famous company. It's worth it.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Stop waiting for D3! Seriously, you will only be disapointed. Why do you think it's taking so long to release, if it even releases at all. It basically butchered what we loved in the first 2, and implemented a WoW-style level of progression (meaning you no longer get to apply stats on your own).

Torchlight is a simplified version of FATE, with a darker atmosphere, better story and much improved graphics. It has a lot of the features D3 is to support aswell, such as interactive surroundings and mobs able to pour out of almost any scenery.

Character development is not as complex or unique as offered on Fate, but it stills allows the use of some custom stats builds and cross-classing spells/equipment.

So in short if you've played FATE, you'll know what to expect, with a few surprizes along the way. If you havn't played it, then it will surely be a pleasant and refreshing expirence for you. Either way it is well worth the purchase.

If you're just a fanatic Diablo fan (like me) than this game will deliver on what you expect from Diablo3 better than D3 itself.

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

Torchlight is ok but still needs alot of work. It REALLY should have keyboard movement controls. but it has nice features that I enjoyed in the demo. wont buy it though.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• MLecl0001MLecl0001 Member Posts: 153

For me I have been playing games for pretty much my entire life.  From Atari to now PS3 and cutting edge PC games.  Yet lately, as in the past couple of years I have not gotten much enjoyment out of games.  There are a plethora of games sitting on my shelves, or that I have already sold, that I never finished.  There are countless MMOs where I barely got to mid game, let alone end game.  For the past couple of years, every game I played I just get this haunting feeling of been here done this.  I get frustrated by the smallest bugs, and irritated by the smallest things that previously I would just have ignored.

I was beginning to think that my gaming days were over, my 360, ps3, and even wii are just sitting around collecting dust, literally.  The only game on my PC was whatever MMO, f2p or p2p, that I was tooling around in for the month.  Other than that I had no real interest in playing games of any kind anymore.  Then I ran into Torchlight, considering I liked Mythos I thought I would give it a chance.  Boy was I glad I did, what a hell of a bargain.

For the first time in years I spent hours upon hours and went without sleep just to get to the next level of the dungeon, just to get the next piece of loot, just to get the next level or fame.  There is nothing revolutionary or innovative about Torchlight, it is just a game that is FUN.  It is a solid well polished ARPG, and if you like ARPGs at all you are doing a great disservice to yourself by not buying this game.

For me 10 reasons to buy this game can be boiled down to 3:

3: Development tools given for free to the community, can theoretically create a whole new game.

2: Its only 20 freaking dollars.

1: For me its just plain FUN, something I think many developers have stopped thinking about in their design docs.

At the least I would have to say if you are moderately interested in ARPGs its worth a shot, I mean its only 20 freaking dollars.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

We also forgot about how great the music is. Matt Uelman is fantastic. Very Diabloish and very awesome.

Listen: www.youtube.com/watch

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by decoy26517

Torchlight is ok but still needs alot of work. It REALLY should have keyboard movement controls. but it has nice features that I enjoyed in the demo. wont buy it though.

/facepalm

Keyboard movement in a Diablo-style hack and slash. My brain hurts.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by decoy26517

Needs a lot of work? 'splain please?

Everything worked great, the only bug I saw was a graphic glitch after pausing and alt tabbing, which cleared as soon as I  closed to menu...

And keyboard movement controls?

Personally, I can't wait till the MMO for this, will be interesting :D

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Hmm, I loved Diablo 1, and hated Diablo 2.  Which one is this game more like?
    Or does it stand on its own merits?
    Probably doesn't matter, I'd have to wait for the multi-player version, I haven't enjoyed single player games for years now that I have MMORPG's.

Since no one really answered your question, allow me.

It is more like Diablo 1 with some bits of diablo II built in (Hardcore mode option, gems/sockets) and it definatly stans on its own merits, especially for $20. You can give the demo a whirl on Steam.

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

just tried this game...is it's just awesome!!

been a fan of diablo and finally another great rpg worth buying

as always expected from the team that made blizzard so popular

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I would start the game at the hard setting, not normal. You might even try playing at very hard. I switched from normal to hard because normal was WAY too easy. As I'm betting better loot, hard seems to be easy too.

I wonder why Runic didn't have keyboard mapping in the options menu.  You have to remap manually. The process is on the Torchlight forums. It's kind of a pain because when you enter the codes for the keys you may have conflicts other commands having the same code. This is a little picky but I wouldn't think it would be that hard to remap the keyboard keys either.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Everyone just buy the game. At 20$ is just bit more expensive than your MMO sub. And it will be money well spent.

Also Torchlight MMO will be even more awesome with more founding :)

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by Toquio3

why would I want to vote 'NO to blizzard'? blizzard make great games. and i dont really do single player games anymore. looks good though, but i think i'll wait until they add multiplayer or actually release info on the mmo, if its actually true they are making it.

You do realize that these are the guys that made Diablo and Diablo 2 ? They were a large part of the Blizzard North crew.

Yes. Blizzard is not comprised of the same people. They are greedy, arrogant, jerks now that care more about marketing and capitalization of their IP than they do about games or the gaming community. That is why so very many people in Blizzard left the company. There was a big fuss years ago around the time WoW was about to be released. That is the biggest reason WoW was amazing when it was released and has become complete shite since.

I plan to Vote "No" to Blizzard. They represent what horrible things can happen to a company with too big a head, and I can only vote with money. You can vote with your money too.

How are they greedy or arrogant jerks?

WoW hasn't come become shite, on the contrary. It has only become better since release.

Shhhhh we have to bash successful companies.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• TenkicksTenkicks Member Posts: 11

At $20 it is cheap, but I doubt the replayability. There are so few ways to build each character and so few characters, you'd have to REALLY love inventing silly macrogames to keep interest going for more than a week.

I'll wait and see what the modding community can do with it, so far I've seen a nude skin for the girl character...and umm...thats it.

A good looking, solid game that's way too easy and way to easy to become bored of.

6/10

• GrygoreGrygore Member UncommonPosts: 26

I think it's a good $20 game. Fun to play and runs super smooth (even on my wife's netbook lol). For mod's you can go here - quite a few already...I have not tried any myself.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

Is the game fun ?  Can you play for a little while and log out not requiring excessive time to do anything ?  Just curious, I'm thinking of downloading it.

Given the genral positive outlook perhaps other game companies will follow suit and stop this 50-60 dollar cost on a game.  Why would I pay for something that lasts 2-3 days at the most. 

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I've been playing torchlight the last few days.  If any of my friends want to try it give me a PM :-)

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

The map maker is pretty awesome.  Has anyone seen the youtube videos showing how to make custom maps?  It is really easy to do.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by skarwolf

Is the game fun ?  Can you play for a little while and log out not requiring excessive time to do anything ?  Just curious, I'm thinking of downloading it.
    Given the genral positive outlook perhaps other game companies will follow suit and stop this 50-60 dollar cost on a game.  Why would I pay for something that lasts 2-3 days at the most. 

Welcome to single-player games (in MMORPG.com forums), where the pause and save features exist and allow you to stop at anytime.

It's also pretty refreshing because they don't need to think and design around all the issues that a MMO has that reduces potential fun and casual play.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Ill have to go check this game out!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH waiting for new game Rabbids go home)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• MalifissMalifiss Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by EricDanie

It's also pretty refreshing because they don't need to think and design around all the issues that a MMO has that reduces potential fun and casual play.

Those 'issues' typically being 'other people', these days.  The problem with mose MMOs these days, is the second 'M'.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151

I will give you my honest opinion about this game. When I played it a couple of days ago, I didn't know that it was the guys who made Diablo who made it, I knew nothing about this game other than it was 20$ and it was a supposedly Diablo style game. 

I have around 5 hours of gameplay and I uninstalled the game for the following reasons...

1) It feels like more a free browser game than an actual full game. It is far too simple and nothing special to have paid 20$ for it.

2) It is an almost exact copy of Fate with some tiny differences, like you get 3 classes instead of having one guy that you can spec in different ways, different dungeons, and an attempt at a storyline.

3) Combat is weird, sometimes you have so many mobs on the screen, and you have your summons, and your cat or dog, and NPCs, and the mouse pointer is big, and everything is cartoonish and big that you just don't know where you're aiming, so you just click in the middle of the fray and kill everything.

4) The game is too easy, I chose the alchimist, and I was killing everything in one hit, from beginning to when I stopped, except for bosses, which took 5 hits.

5) There are side quests you can get from a guy in town where he opens a portal to another place for a 1-2 floor quests, but the portal he opens which is supposed to take you to new places actually takes you to copies of floors you already did with the "main" dungeon.

6) A ton of items and money is easy to make that when you get a cool item you're not excited, because in 2 minutes you will get a cooler item. I had "unique" items drop like crazy, sometimes it's nice to be able to find something you won't replace for a while and you're proud of having that item.

7) Even if they attempt to create an interesting storyline, there is nothing interesting about it. It's just the same old boring quests you get in Fate.

These are the reasons I did not like this game, but it does not mean other people won't like it. I am just telling you what kind of game it is. If you like simple games, which you don't even need to look at the screen to play, you can actually watch a movie while playing this and randomly click on the screen, then you will like this game, it is mindless and non challenging. Worth playing a couple of hours if it was free or maybe 5$, but not 20$....

Peace

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

tried the demo of this. Seemed like an offline version of WoW..

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

I found Torchlight quite fun.
    Drawbacks
    No multiplay. WTF
    Quests are odd.
    Need more infor on spells and abilities.

Pros
    Fast paced
    fun
    tons o loot
    abilities are quite different as well as auto attacks from oen weapon tot he next can greatly differ.

Oh and d3 = fail boat. Still most people don't choose good game they choose popular games, go fig.

I have been enjoying Dragon Age but there are times I definitely want a break from the Dark atmosphere. Torchlight is a very good light fun game. I wished the game had more recognition from the public.