Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyer Beware

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

It glances because its using the same mechanics other mmo's use to calculate damage which is a basic dice roll computing stuff such as your weapon skill and stats. If it worked like an fps where headshots and firing from 10 feet away killed you, then there would be no purpose to have an ap skill system at all.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Rallycart

Originally posted by cukimunga

2) Well the way the game works is it hits a random spot with in the crosshairs when you fire, which makes since to me.  Now guns like scoped rifles you will get a more accurate shot as well the more you raise your rifle skill the smaller the crosshairs get.  
    IDK what you expect from a low level character of course their accuracy is going to be crap. It would be like me going out shooting stuff. Ive shot a gun a total of like 10 times in my life there is no way im going to go hunting and expect to hit my target with pinpoint accuracy.

Lets be honest here though. A retarded monkey could hit a guy in the chest from ten feet away... He has a bit of a point, which I never really thought about. At close range, and aiming at the center of mass, a shot would not have much of a chance to "glance" unless the target was SERIOUSLY armored in angular metal.

Are you serious? It's part of the game mechanics that allow stats to play into effect of the combat. Pretty much every mmo out there has the same thing. Maybe you just play FPS's or board games and don't know any better (shrug)

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661
    Originally posted by Xerith

It glances because its using the same mechanics other mmo's use to calculate damage which is a basic dice roll computing stuff such as your weapon skill and stats. If it worked like an fps where headshots and firing from 10 feet away killed you, then there would be no purpose to have an ap skill system at all.

Although headshots do crit much more often than a body shot :)

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

my install went poorly but, i had a problem with the reliability of the patcher myself. the download was fast, the patcher couldn't be trusted to not lock up. but seriously, your warning people of a massive download??? dude, fallen earth - 5.2 gigs, aion - 11.5, LOTRO - 12, AoC - 25+!!!.

about crafting.... has any crafting truly been special? i mean, outside of SWG where the quality of the materials, directly affects the quality of the item produced, are not all mmos just using standard crafting system? does the crafting system work? then it's fine. i personally like the idea, of my car taking possibly days for it to finish, makes sense to me. i wish more games used SWG crafting system.... as long as they have better item servers... so your factories don't randomly disappear with 100s of 1000s credits worth of mats...

the title of this thread is to misleading. fallen earth and icarus studios, have done nothing for the buyer to beware of yet. the only point you did make in this thread, was that the game isn't for everyone.... well no shit. WoW isn't for everyone. everyone knows, that not everyone will like every game. this game is nothing like Darkfall, which has  had major issues such has double billing.. triple billing, being banned without reasons, and straight out lied to about what features made it in game. or mortal, which is asking people to buy the whole game, possibly 6 months before it's released in the hopes of playing beta, or even that the game launches. how about dark and light, which launched(sort of) with a stolen game engine, and has been sued, and i'm not sure anyone got a refund from them. there are dozens of mmo companies out there, that one could say buyer beware... so far, icarus studios isn't one of them  

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

It's unfathomable that you would think a new game should be FREE. That's like saying all automobile's should be free and you only have to pay upkeep.

But lets be real here. If all games were free and there was only a monthly fee, you'd find more grinder clone games, like what's prevalent in the Korean MMO market. So many clones it's a sea of same. You're hardly going to get investors to put money into your product, the type it's going to take to do something new and different.

As it is, you have companies buying engines and building games based on those engines, and yet they still spend millions getting the game going. Convince investors that you're going to get them their money back and earnings in a short time, good luck.

so...

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

I like how you whine that the cost to buy the game is 50 $ and a sub fee. Have you been plaing games long? Other than guild wars I'm not to sure how many games give the client away for free or no sub. I know GW just has the one time buy thing.  Heck WOW is charging 40-50 for an xpac w/ sub fee. Also, you might want to get used to it but games are only getting bigger and mmos only keep getting bigger with time. How big is WOW on your hard drive now?

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

I keep reading posts about the horrible community in FE and have yet to witness it first hand.  I've been playing about a week and have even asked a few questions in help chat.  I never once saw anything negative directed at someone asking a question.  My suspicion is the person who has a negative reaction either posted something like "this game sucks" or spammed /help chat.  I did see one person ask a question, get an answer, ask it again, get the answer repeated, ask it again with an attitude and finally got told off and threatened to get /ignored.  Those are the kinds of people that 9 times out of 10 run here to post about the terrible community of any game.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Couple of mistakes.
    Most important.  If you really only got to level 3, there's no point for you to come to these forums and share your opinion, we won't care.
    On a lesser note, if you joined these forums and created two threads before you had about 100 posts under your belt (or at least a few months reading the forums) you are again wasting our time, you look like a newly created troll account.
    There's dues to be paid both in MMO's and on forums to garner even limited respect for what you write.

so when you first started posting noone should have taken you seriously nor responded to your first posts....

this is just stupid to think new accounts should be totally ignored. Some are trollish or here to produce some hype, but you cannot dismiss all first time posters, cause some really are just new.

Statements of posting amound and longevity is just ignorant

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Originally posted by otter3370

I keep reading posts about the horrible community in FE and have yet to witness it first hand.  I've been playing about a week and have even asked a few questions in help chat.  I never once saw anything negative directed at someone asking a question.  My suspicion is the person who has a negative reaction either posted something like "this game sucks" or spammed /help chat.  I did see one person ask a question, get an answer, ask it again, get the answer repeated, ask it again with an attitude and finally got told off and threatened to get /ignored.  Those are the kinds of people that 9 times out of 10 run here to post about the terrible community of any game.

Thats cause FE does have one of the best communities out there. It does have the best and most active GM's I mean what other game out there that is retail, where you can send a GM a pm and chat with them in open help chat.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

here is a great buyers be aware! LEARNING CURVE IS HUGE! If you like doing stuff on your own and figuring it out, good luck! you will need it. Getting into crafting is like trying to learn how to split an atom. Which sucks because crafting is a HUGE part of this game. Quests I am sorry but I feel like I am a fed-ex person, and it gets kinda annoying and repetitive. However if you like PvE than kudos this is the game for you. PvP is not a big part of this game, so if you like pvp than be careful about this game. That is all! BYE and Enjoy your game!

Edit: the support function is CRAP! You learn almost everything through asking it to the community. FE is anything but easy to access and understand. Also lag is REALLY crappy and you must have a god like computer to play on high settings.

Originally posted by Joker2240

here is a great buyers be aware! LEARNING CURVE IS HUGE! If you like doing stuff on your own and figuring it out, good luck! you will need it. Getting into crafting is like trying to learn how to split an atom. Which sucks because crafting is a HUGE part of this game. Quests I am sorry but I feel like I am a fed-ex person, and it gets kinda annoying and repetitive. However if you like PvE than kudos this is the game for you. PvP is not a big part of this game, so if you like pvp than be careful about this game. That is all! BYE and Enjoy your game!
    Edit: the support function is CRAP! You learn almost everything through asking it to the community. FE is anything but easy to access and understand. Also lag is REALLY crappy and you must have a god like computer to play on high settings.

FE doesnt have lag your eather running the game on a computer that doesnt meet min req, or your living outside the USA . If your outside the USA try using a proxy server or something to get a better ping. I myself do have somewhat of a high end PC's and i never drop under 40 FPS in major towns. So a mid range gaming pc should at least beable to keep in 20 range. Cant complain on personal failure. FE is a game thats not for everyone some will like and, somne will hate it.

ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664
    Originally posted by shamus252

FE doesnt have lag your eather running the game on a computer that doesnt meet min req, or your living outside the USA . I myself do have somewhat of a high end PC's and i never drop under 40 FPS in major towns. So a mid range gaming pc should at least beable to keep in 20 range. Cant complain on personal failure. FE is a game thats not for everyone some will like and, somne will hate it.

yeah no.. In-game I remember a bundle of people having problems with graphics lag. I am running a 8800 GTS OC, also I have a intel core duo at 2.50 GHZ. I am above what is min. I should be able to run this game at least medium or low. I am not, I am playing WELL below even low. The drawing distance is ridiculous. So, yeah... Please. You have a high end computer thus you can't say anything. Devs should make games that will play decently for mid range.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by miagisan

Couple of mistakes.
    Most important.  If you really only got to level 3, there's no point for you to come to these forums and share your opinion, we won't care.
    On a lesser note, if you joined these forums and created two threads before you had about 100 posts under your belt (or at least a few months reading the forums) you are again wasting our time, you look like a newly created troll account.
    There's dues to be paid both in MMO's and on forums to garner even limited respect for what you write.

so when you first started posting noone should have taken you seriously nor responded to your first posts....

this is just stupid to think new accounts should be totally ignored. Some are trollish or here to produce some hype, but you cannot dismiss all first time posters, cause some really are just new.

Lets keep this simple miagisan.

You got no credibility as a first time poster anywhere. For all we know, you could be some disgruntle player with a chip on your

shoulder.

Granted, you have the right to post anything you want, however, be prepared to be put in place by forum veterans on any website,

whether its a good or bad post.

Its all about reputation and even in the real world.

Can you imagine a new guy or gal comes to work with you and starts saying his own mind from day 1.

Your going to say, where the hell did this person come from.

Same difference.

Build a reputation for yourself first in anything you do and then maybe people will take you seriously.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

You didn't play long enough to really get a feel for things. You barely scratched the surface and in effect only judged a book by it's cover. You didn't even take long looks at anything by the sounds of it, just minor glances and so you base your opinion on the very beginning of the game. From my point of view it seems as though you're comparing the game too heavily to other games as well. This isn't Fallout or Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a stroll in the park naked compared to Fallen Earth. In FE you have to craft or try to because quite frankly you're in a post-apocalyptic world where nothing is free and handouts are rare. You have to struggle to survive, that is the whole point.

Fallen Earth is, as of current, the only MMO of it's specific kind. It's a sandboxy survival MMO where every move you make counts. This game requires some thought and some skill, and definitely some patience. I will agree that S1 is bland as hell though. It's huge and lonely...

FE doesnt have lag your eather running the game on a computer that doesnt meet min req, or your living outside the USA . I myself do have somewhat of a high end PC's and i never drop under 40 FPS in major towns. So a mid range gaming pc should at least beable to keep in 20 range. Cant complain on personal failure. FE is a game thats not for everyone some will like and, somne will hate it.

yeah no.. In-game I remember a bundle of people having problems with graphics lag. I am running a 8800 GTS OC, also I have a intel core duo at 2.50 GHZ. I am above what is min. I should be able to run this game at least medium or low. I am not, I am playing WELL below even low. The drawing distance is ridiculous. So, yeah... Please. You have a high end computer thus you can't say anything. Devs should make games that will play decently for mid range.

Well hate to see that your having issues. Its probley your 8800 gts, it is kind of out dated. But if you tried upgrading it with your core duo you would probley get bottlenecked. I could be wrong tho

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by miagisan

Couple of mistakes.

Miagi, not the time to take a stance for this guy.

Brand new account and first time posting and nothing but attacking the game and trying to defend his attack. We have seen a continual string of these posts lately, it's 1 person with a vendetta against FE.

Whether you have problems with FE or not, this guy isnt worth defending, my friend.

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by psymon15 
      What i was trying to prove was that the environment in fallen earth looks painfully similar to the environment in fallout 3.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Well some games just do not fit people. Or just something about the movement or look just turns people off.

But really, trying to trash, or warn others about ANY game after LVL 3 is just wrong.

I could not stand Mythic's new game. war whatever, i logged in, and for some reason the toons just drove me buggy, in the first few minutes, logged out and never went back. But i can not ever give any opinion of the game, other than that, i hated how the toons looked and moved. I for sure can not warn others to not buy it.

If nothing else, at least respect the time and effort other put into trying to make a game that is different than the run of the mill clone.  Do not trash something you were unwilling to give a fair shake.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by rodingo

2) Well the way the game works is it hits a random spot with in the crosshairs when you fire, which makes since to me.  Now guns like scoped rifles you will get a more accurate shot as well the more you raise your rifle skill the smaller the crosshairs get.  
    IDK what you expect from a low level character of course their accuracy is going to be crap. It would be like me going out shooting stuff. Ive shot a gun a total of like 10 times in my life there is no way im going to go hunting and expect to hit my target with pinpoint accuracy.

Lets be honest here though. A retarded monkey could hit a guy in the chest from ten feet away... He has a bit of a point, which I never really thought about. At close range, and aiming at the center of mass, a shot would not have much of a chance to "glance" unless the target was SERIOUSLY armored in angular metal.

Are you serious? It's part of the game mechanics that allow stats to play into effect of the combat. Pretty much every mmo out there has the same thing. Maybe you just play FPS's or board games and don't know any better (shrug)

Why does it matter that every mmo has the same mechanic? Just because a satsuma is a yummy citrus fruit doesn't mean it has to be hard to peel like an orange. Just because a game is an MMORPG doesn't mean it has to have the same way of calculating accuracy and damage as every other RPG. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. I'm saying I don't like it. There was a person above this person (I think) that put the accuracy thing in a light that I thought was perfectly logical.

If I made a question on a safety quiz asking my students why shouldn't they add water to sulfuric acid, I wouldn't accept "Because you're not supposed to add water to an acid." The answer may be true, but it lacks an understanding of the principles (I also wouldn't have accepted my above satsuma to orange analogy because it only defines one comparison; I have no idea how difficult a grapefruit is to peel for example).

Now of course this is not high school, I'm not a teacher, and this is just a game forum for personal opinion, but "Just because everyone else does it" isn't a good reason to jump on this guys ass.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

Well hate to see that your having issues. Its probley your 8800 gts, it is kind of out dated. But if you tried upgrading it with your core duo you would probley get bottlenecked. I could be wrong tho

I'm playing with a E6850 3.0 ghz dual core, 4 gigs RAM, and a 8800 GTS 512MB with everything maxed without any problems, so it's not the video card.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by rodingo

Please go and read the post that I was responding to. I will even highlight what he said in red, to make it easy for you. We were talking real life, not about MMOs. So maybe YOU have played too many games in general, and don't know the difference between real life and games anymore.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Benjola

Beware!
    You might end up having most fun you ever had in a video game.
    Scary thing I know.

Hey that's what happened to me! And to think I hated it at first. Now I'm lvl 8 and I can see myself right now never playing another MMO. I have not had that MMO feeling that Fallen Earth gives me when I'm playing for a very long time. I've played MMO's since Everquest first came out. And I have played most of the AAA titles since then .

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

This right here shows a clear misunderstanding of how firearms actually work.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but there are a ton of factors that go into firing a weapon, the least of which is actually aiming the damn thing. Seriously? A retarded monkey was the best you could come up with?

First, firing at a live target is a hell of a lot different than firing at a live target. You have the psychology, the erratic movement, the behavior of the weapon you're firing as no two guns will fire exactly the same, etc. Also is the effect that you'd be surprised at how easy it is to miss at 10 ft, even if it is a stationary target. That's why the knife user is given odds when he's within 6 feet. At 10ft, it's still quite a tossup.

Icarus has tried to artificially reflect this inexperience and such with the widened crosshairs that go down as you become more proficient in the firearm. Technically, they should reset the crosshairs each time you pick up a new firearm, but that gets too monotonous. Also, a glancing blow is simply a method of showing a shot that doesn't do much dmg, such as a flesh wound, not that it actually is deflected.

Some games have realistic dmg to them and they generally aren't too popular, such as Rainbow Six, Red Orchestra, and Ghost Recon. Yes,  those were good games, but in terms of popularity, they don't compare to Call of Duty or Battlefield, which are far more forgiving. It's the same as the whole permanent death debate.  No one wants to spend a lot of effort in order to have it all get pissed away in a few seconds.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by twhint

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but there are a ton of factors that go into firing a weapon, the least of which is actually aiming the damn thing. Seriously? A retarded monkey was the best you could come up with?

First, firing at a live target is a hell of a lot different than firing at a live target. You have the psychology, the erratic movement, the behavior of the weapon you're firing as no two guns will fire exactly the same, etc. Also is the effect that you'd be surprised at how easy it is to miss at 10 ft, even if it is a stationary target. That's why the knife user is given odds when he's within 6 feet. At 10ft, it's still quite a tossup.

Icarus has tried to artificially reflect this inexperience and such with the widened crosshairs that go down as you become more proficient in the firearm. Technically, they should reset the crosshairs each time you pick up a new firearm, but that gets too monotonous. Also, a glancing blow is simply a method of showing a shot that doesn't do much dmg, such as a flesh wound, not that it actually is deflected.

Some games have realistic dmg to them and they generally aren't too popular, such as Rainbow Six, Red Orchestra, and Ghost Recon. Yes,  those were good games, but in terms of popularity, they don't compare to Call of Duty or Battlefield, which are far more forgiving. It's the same as the whole permanent death debate.  No one wants to spend a lot of effort in order to have it all get pissed away in a few seconds.

You didn't even have to give such a thorough explanation and could have simply said this:

RPG Mechanics

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by twhint

That all assumes erratic movement. And, of all my years, I have never missed a target at 10 feet unless it was small. The center of mass on a human is larger than than most paper targets, let alone the actual target circles. Most of the mobs are coming right at you, and the guy that originally posted about the 10 feet is more than likely complaining about mobs that are either not engaged with him, or are actually closer than 10 feet, and are fighting at melee range.
    That is what they MIGHT have been attempting to do. However, if that is true, I would say it is pretty poor wording. If they wanted something like that, then glance was the wrong word choice for that. And, once again, the guy that we were originally talking about was talking real life.
    No one was asking for realistic damage though. It was simply a comment about the odds of a shot actually glancing at such a short distance.