Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands = the Future of the MMORPG

2»

Comments

• SikgamerSikgamer Member Posts: 77

No, it's not revolutionizing the MMORPG genre, because it isn't an MMORPG. Nor is it anywhere near MMO.

I wish people would stop posting advertisement threads when they don't even know what the god damn game is.

Unique upcoming indie space-based mining and combat game - Miner Wars.
    http://www.minerwars.com/?aid=191

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Ravanos

(as stated in another post)
    This is in my opinion the future of MMORPG. getting rid of the massive feeling and getting rid of the "world" feeling to the point of you log in to your own instance of the game world where you are the ONLY player in that instance. where if you wish friends can join your personal instance (or you join thiers) and you quest, kill, level and gather loot without the "hinderance" of any other players.
    you see this already happening with games adding more and more instancing to thier games. this is unfortunately the next step in the evolution of the MMORPG genre, especially if the solo WoW players get thier way.

With all due respect, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

A MMO like this already exist and it is called Guild Wars, which fair enough is a successful game, although we also have to say that it is actually free.

But what debunks your theory is that Arenanet for the sequel (Guild Wars 2) are going to abandon the heavily instanced design of Guild Wars in favour of a seamless world with instanced zone and dungeons, ala EQ2 and AoC just to clarify.

Because that's what players wants, not a multiplayer game with a MMO badge on it, but a real MMORPG.

There are also several Multiplayer games which can be considered semi MMORPG, like Diablo 2 for example, but they are not considered MMORPG for the reasons you state on your OP.

There is a reason why MMORPGs are different from Multiplyer games..............if you take the massively element from the MMORPG they are just Multiplayer games, and we already have tons of them.

What we really need is more REAL MMORPGs......................not less.

I won't say the usual phrase here "go to play WoW", but I will forge a new one fitting your situation.............."go to play Diablo 2"

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Ravanos

(as stated in another post)
    This is in my opinion the future of MMORPG. getting rid of the massive feeling and getting rid of the "world" feeling to the point of you log in to your own instance of the game world where you are the ONLY player in that instance. where if you wish friends can join your personal instance (or you join thiers) and you quest, kill, level and gather loot without the "hinderance" of any other players.
    you see this already happening with games adding more and more instancing to thier games. this is unfortunately the next step in the evolution of the MMORPG genre, especially if the solo WoW players get thier way.

Wrong on every level. Borderlands isn't an MMO, nor is it the future of MMOs.

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224

If to be classified as an MMORPG you have to be a boring grindfest that is severely limited and boring...

Then I don't want an MMORPG.

I honestly don't care WHAT the game is "officially" whether that's MMORPG, MMOFPS, or MMOMGSOMANYLETTERS!!111

All that matters to me is that it's fun. That's it. I've never cared what others think. Fun is all you need. 0 else matters.

If you said "Half Life 2 is an MMORPG AND ITS AWESOME!!" and it was fun, I would download it and say "THIS MMORPG IS AWESOME!!!!"

Because I don't care what it's called, I don't care what nerds believe it to actually be. I only care that I'm enjoying myself and having fun.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I didn't like anything about the game tbh :  Justf elt like a bad shooter with no story to me.