Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking For Help Before Buying Borderlands

VladarionVladarion Member UncommonPosts: 204

Alright, so i've read the reviews and I've done my research on the game, but I still have a few questions I would like answered.  I plan to buy the PC version if how I think this game is, is true.  So, here it goes:

1.  How do I go about getting online with people?  I know it's not server based, so is it a random queue system, or do I actually have to know your name?

2. This game looks, sounds, and seems to play VERY close to an MMO, besides no crafting, no server based play, and no world economy.  How much of it is like an MMO?  Are we talking mmo light or rpg that might as well be an mmo?  I ask this because I am an MMO gamer, but i've been looking for a game that is not so much like an MMO, but still has the appeal of one and plays similar to one.

3. Competition, PvP if you like:  does it exist, and what is it?  I hear there are arenas, but are we talking death match arenas in the form of 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, like wow or more so a battleground sort of deal?

4. Should I wait to buy the game?  I hear it is riddled with bugs that make multiplayter a terrible experience as well as solo play. 

5. If any of you play the PC version and want someone to join with you, please tell me your ingame name so I can find you and play online with you.  To add to this...if I don't know people and keep a steady group of people to play with will i end up feeling lonely and bored in this game?

Comments

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

2) only as much as L4D and Diablo 2 is an MMO.

3) from one of the trailer/dev interviews ive seen, you can melee your teamate and if they melee back you can have some sort of duel. not sure about the arena tho.

4) up to you. personally im waiting till a patch is releaesd before i buy it.

5) go check their official forums so you can find people to play with, or try xfire.

• AphamApham Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Vladarion
    1.  How do I go about getting online with people?  I know it's not server based, so is it a random queue system, or do I actually have to know your name?
         If you are talking about the pc version, you would first need a gamespy account. From there you can login through the game where it takes you to a screen in which there is a list of games that people are hosting. From here you can view the game creator's level and the main quest they are on and decide which game you would want to join.
        The host I believe hosts directly from his PC which is why alot of people are complaining how to host and allow people to connect you need to open up the proper ports... this all just means that you want to find a  host closer to where you are based for latency issues.
        You can also add friends to a friend's list from within the game list and join their games directly. This though does require you to know the person's gamespy name.
    2. This game looks, sounds, and seems to play VERY close to an MMO, besides no crafting, no server based play, and no world economy.  How much of it is like an MMO?  Are we talking mmo light or rpg that might as well be an mmo?  I ask this because I am an MMO gamer, but i've been looking for a game that is not so much like an MMO, but still has the appeal of one and plays similar to one.
       It plays like an FPS with a loot centric game play style. There are quests to complete and there is a main quest that is said to could be beat in 20 hours of play, I however have not beat the game yet. The "cap" level is 50 and I am currently at 25, to reach 50 would require you to beat the game and then play it through a second time on a "hard" mode in which the enemies scale according to your level and the bosses drop better loot.
       The loot centric game play basically means picking up weapons from enemies to upgrade your own equipped weapons and selling other weapons you do not need for cash.
        How much is it like an MMO? Well if you consider 3 other buddies and yourself running around gunning down monsters any resemblance to an MMO or anything I have previously mentioned MMOish then so be it. ME personally? This is not an MMO by and far but rather a multiplayer game.
    3. Competition, PvP if you like:  does it exist, and what is it?  I hear there are arenas, but are we talking death match arenas in the form of 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, like wow or more so a battleground sort of deal?
       I personally have not pvped much. You can pvp within the game world by meleeing your ally and this is encouraged as a way to handle disputes about loot. BUT from the forums I have read that PVP is based of either FFA or 2v2. Arena type, definitely not BGs from WOW. Again I really believed the developers were intending this to be a 4 player co-op game.
    4. Should I wait to buy the game?  I hear it is riddled with bugs that make multiplayter a terrible experience as well as solo play. 
       I didn't wait and have actually convinced a few friends to buy the game recently. No one so far has yet to regret the decision.

Edit: Made it easier to read by de-walling the wall of texts.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

There are some stand out bugs, and one that should be noted as game breaking with an apparent patch in the works.  If you quit/get disconnected from a game, even single player, during an auto-save (found at check point beacons), your character will lose all their skill points and weapon proficiencies.  Gearbox is aware of the issue and a patch for the PC crowd is coming soon, though it may have already been fixed for the consoles since they released a week sooner.

I was on the fence about this game before a friend seriously recommended it and I'm glad I listened to him.  This is one of the few FPS RPG's that have an excellent FPS combat system with a fast pace combined with a well written storied progression and character development.  I've opened a few hundred weapon caches and I still get excited for what I might find since every gun is randomly generated.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

It is an FPS that has some very good RPG elements to it. It's been tried before so it's not a completely original idea, BUT Borderlands has so far done it the best. In fact I would go so far as to say it's a perfect blend. Nothing feels 'forced' in either aspect, it just flows together naturally for the most part. You don't technically have to do any of the quests except for the main story ones.

So, in response to mmo elements? No, people should stop confusing MMO for RPG. It's got RPG elements that can be enjoyed online. Nothing mmo-ish about it....mostly because the MMO part of mmorpg's just indicates the scope of the number of people running about (and theoretically the size of the game itself).

Now, could the game be taken on towards an MMO-RPG standing? Probably with some somewhat extensive alterations, yes. -Should- it be though? No, not at all. Borderlands could have been an MMO, but I'm glad that wasn't considered. There are too many mmo's being made these days. And many of them are so terrible because the devs constantly get confused on what it is exactly they want to do. But I digress.

If you want to buy it now then go ahead. I did and I haven't thought twice about it. I, of course, have the PC version and haven't had any problems with it. I've been nagging friends to get it too, but many of them are just waiting for Dragon Age so I haven't tried out the co-op yet. If the latency isn't too bad then it should be a lot of fun. Though I would keep in mind that if you do get it for PC then be sure any friends you know that you want to play with also get it for PC. I'm fairly certain you can't play with those who got the console version, for obvious reasons.