Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 game breaker online multiplayer (spoiler)

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Call of Duty 4 had some questionable design decisions as far as killstreaks and perks are concerned.

In my opinion, The helicopter was just unbalanced and the martyrdom perk rewarded people for dying.

It pales to what is clearly the worst design decision ever.

One of the newest leaked kill rewards is the Tactical Nuke, which you can get after a Killstreak of 25 kills.

So what happens once the nuke goes off? The game ends. The team which used the nuke wins.

Considering you have much more killstreak options now, getting to 25 is now even easier.

Comments

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

wow everyday the chances of me getting this day one get slimmer and slimmer. Ive gotten a 22 kill streak before with a useless helicopter and Im not that good. I would hate to see good players dominate games with this.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

It's not unbalanced if everyone can do it. Seriously, 25 kill streak is really hard to do anyways.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I heard there are zero servers to, that use mods to change the limits on kill streak perks.  Since there are zero servers that do this for CoD4, your concern is very valid, and we should worry.

Really, if you don't enjoy that sort of thing, there will be TONS of servers without it.  Usually the noob/xp servers only have the killstreaks up.  Or, like in many servers I played on, the heli had about a pistol shot worth of hp.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Modern Warfare 2 won't have servers. It will only have matchmaking.

• ferdie4ferdie4 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Modern Warfare 2 won't have servers. It will only have matchmaking.

Does that mean that it will be impossible to do multiplayer with a cracked version?

IMO you have no idea about whats an FPS too. You should also ask others "whats an FPS" ?

FPS sands for (F)irst (P)erson (P)erspective and has nothing to do with a game is sandbox or not.

Credits to DarthRaiden

• MasterChaosXMasterChaosX Member Posts: 52

I was looking forward to this game until i heard about no dedicated servers. forget about the game now

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I regularly got 90-100+ kills per TDM when I played CoD4, and yes although its hard I did get big streaks like that now and again. It would be interesting to see what this tactical nuke involves, perhaps it provides an incentive for opposing players to quickly team up and shut down the dominating player. Many of those kills can be attributable to chaining airstrikes/helicopter.

Biggest streak I got was 34 or something, sitting on an MG all map, didn't die once lol.

O_o o_O

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by MasterChaosX

I was looking forward to this game until i heard about no dedicated servers. forget about the game now

No dedicated servers? Source pls

• KrilsterKrilster Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Originally posted by MasterChaosX

No dedicated servers? Source pls

Have you been in a cave? lol

This announcement is old news.

Since google is a complicated search engine, I'll post it for you. www.google.com/search

Edit: There's also a 150k+  person petition to IW to allow dedicated servers. www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi

I dont track FPS news as much as I do MMO news, granted Im a huge COD fan and had planned on picking it up, but this pretty much kills my interest. Time to cancel the pre orders.

I dont know why developers of games consistently seem to make bone head choices that anyone you ask will tell you is most likely a bad idea.

Hey Bob!

Yah Ted?

For the next call of duty game, why dont we take out the bullets?

Brilliant Ted!

• KrilsterKrilster Member Posts: 230

Yea, I'm personally hoping everyone that planned on getting MW2 cancels (for the PC version at least). Basically to show them (Infinity Ward) that they aren't godly like they think they are and assume we'll buy whatever they put out.

wow so much pc elitism in this thread. Console players have matchmaking and don't whine, maybe its time pc players stopped feeling entitled. Personaly after running into so many dam modded servers in L4D I would like match making to avoid that kind of stuff. Wouldn't have to waste time loading into a game just see some mod is running that wasn't in server name.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Arndur

wow so much pc elitism in this thread. Console players have matchmaking and don't whine, maybe its time pc players stopped feeling entitled. Personaly after running into so many dam modded servers in L4D I would like match making to avoid that kind of stuff. Wouldn't have to waste time loading into a game just see some mod is running that wasn't in server name.

L4D is a hybrid, it does matchmaking and throws you into an empty dedicated server, so it shouldn't be brought as a point against one or the other. 

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

I won't be buying it either.  If I wanted to play a stunted FPS game, I'd go to Toys R' Us and pick up a brat box and a frontal lobotomy.

With increasingly powerful hardware that only gets cheaper while software's need for it struggles to keep up, consoles will inevitably go back to being simply children's toys.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

COD4 is the only game in a looong time that after two years still offers enough challenge and new things. Almost solely becuase of dedicated servers. How more out of touch with their fans can a developer be? Modding adds years to a games life.

I foresee a subscription payment for MW2.

Fuck that.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

PC elitism? Why...dedicated servers are implemented in so many games on PC because it can actually be done properly. That's like saying: "Hey, if we can't do it why could you?". Not my fault you're using a console(and I could even go the other way, but I don't really enjoy flaming).

ok scratch that.

I can kind of see where your coming from with all the bad stuff I see with COD5 matchmaking, but overall its not a game breaking feature. You can still play the game like the devs intended it to be just with smaller numbers. SP will be no different and you can host a private match to get only people you want in there. Over all not worth 150k people complaing over what really isn't a gamebreaking feature.

Sorry you get lag, on my FPS games my guild and I pay to have ours hosted locally... I usually have a 5 - 15 ping, as does my guild. With peer to peer hosting, 5 - 15 ping will be a thing of the past, hell sub 100 will be considered "Great"

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Sorry you get lag, on my FPS games my guild and I pay to have ours hosted locally... I usually have a 5 - 15 ping, as does my guild. With peer to peer hosting, 5 - 15 ping will be a thing of the past, hell sub 100 will be considered "Great"

So by local just yalls ping is good and everyone not near by sucks? So this basicly levels the playing field for those not wanting to shell money for something they shouldn't have too. Not I don't get ping too much, 5-90 its all the same to me with my computer itself lagging not my connection. What is a bad ping number?

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

I always thought CoD4 had plenty of balance problems regarding perks, grenade launchers and more. I personally enjoyed games like L4D way more.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I loved playing COD until they brought in the radar crap.I like the excitement and surprise of finding a player or running into one by accident,it gave the game intensity.Knowing exactly where each other are makes it extremely boring for myself and takes away any surprise factor or any adrenalin rush.When you have no idea where your opponent is or what direction they have doubled back on,it makes it a real skill and a lot of challenge to kill your opponent.

One of the best things i enjoyed in COD was hiding out in the snow in white almost completely hidden and waiting for that sniper opportunity.Well with radar,you might as well totally throw that excitement out the window,i really have no idea what they thought it was going to bring to the game ,and they definitely did not care what it removed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Routver

I always thought CoD4 had plenty of balance problems regarding perks, grenade launchers and more. I personally enjoyed games like L4D way more.

I don't really agree with grenade launchers being overpowered. It takes a second to switch from normal gun fire to your grenade launcher. On top of that, it's very unreliable.

I never saw the point of the underbarrel grenade launcher. It's less accurate and slower.

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354

ok scratch that.

I can kind of see where your coming from with all the bad stuff I see with COD5 matchmaking, but overall its not a game breaking feature. You can still play the game like the devs intended it to be just with smaller numbers. SP will be no different and you can host a private match to get only people you want in there. Over all not worth 150k people complaing over what really isn't a gamebreaking feature.

You are missing just a few things that are critical issues with Infinity Ward's decision not to include support for dedicated servers.

1. The method for play for IWNet and the PC will be P2P; this means that whichever player is hosting the game on IWNet will have a ridiculously low ping, while everyone else who joins the game will have much higher pings. This places the host at an unfair advantage right off the bat.

Add in that the manner in which IWNet does its matchmaking guarantees that you will never be competing / playing against players from other countries, because they will either not be able to connect to your game (because the matchmaking service matches by ping) or if they somehow do, they will be non-competitive because of their ridiculously high pings.

Dedicated servers provide maximum bandwidth for everyone, regardless of their location.

2. The number of players who can play together at one time on IWNet are limited. Reports vary, but the most common report leaked from beta testers state that the average match is 6 vs. 6. Compare that to CoD4 MW dedicated servers, where you commonly have between 20 and 40 players in a match.

3. Competitive clans who compete for cash and prizes in dedicated server matches will no longer be able to do so for several reasons:

• Restriction on number of players
    • Inability to compete against clans from around the world
    • Inability to use unique rulesets
    • Inability to use mods

4.  The CoD4 MW mod community has created many excellent map mods (read free new content); dedicated servers also allow the use of unique rulesets. IWNet will not allow mods, which means new content will have to be purchased via download.

5. Although IWNet will provide a friends list, that isn't  the same as being able to frequent a server, know all the regulars, and be a part of a community.

6. IWNet means no server mods. Now, IW keeps extolling the virtues of Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC), but the facts are that it is not any more secure than other current systems. On dedicated servers, you had server mods present who would boot people from the server if they felt that they were using hacks. IWNet will not have that system in place, so it could take weeks to get rid of a hacker.

Now, when you consider that since the release of CoD4 MW, PC players have created an entire community around the concept of dedicated servers for the past two years since since the release of CoD4 MW, to include CoD WoW, it makes perfect sense that they are vehemently opposed to the loss of dedicated servers.

On the point of "consoles use matchmaking"; yes they do.  Good for them.  I play games on the PC. If I wanted a console matchmaking system, I'd play games on a console.

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Matrix Online
    World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes

1 IW has no mandate to provide players with basicly things that don't make them money.(mods different rule sets)

2 This makes the game universal. A player would not have to be suprised by a rule set or mod when he loads in.

3 If it matches by ping whats the problem? Wouldn't people share a common ping?

4 Invite your friends to a game and go. XBL players have managed to do this for years is this to much for PC players?

O thats right if you wanted to do it that way you could play console games. Well I guess if you want dedicated servers you can play COD4 or a different FPS.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Routver

I don't really agree with grenade launchers being overpowered. It takes a second to switch from normal gun fire to your grenade launcher. On top of that, it's very unreliable.

I never saw the point of the underbarrel grenade launcher. It's less accurate and slower.

What about people in S n D who would fire the 'noob tube' at the very beginning of the match on spawn locations, often taking out several people? On some maps it was easily exploitable, sometimes you saw someone take out 4 or 5 people in one shot.

O_o o_O