Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Mario game shares some "SIMILARITIES" of MMORPG's

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14354229/super-mario-wii-2/videos/nsmb_vdp_102909.html

Multiplayer and Co Op.

Some of the co op play reminds of WoW raiding.

It is "Casual Friendly".

There is crowd control.

There is housing for your stuff.

Group vs Group Competitions.

Im not a consoler and you could pretty much call me a Nintendo Hater, but this looks fun.

PS- I fixed it. You know any good lawyers I could pay to write Titles for my threads?

Comments

• AphamApham Member UncommonPosts: 99

mmo features??? If anything this is a multiplayer version of the original 2-d side scroller. I do not see where you see the mmo features from that video considering it consists of 4 players at one time max.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by Apham
    mmo features??? If anything this is a multiplayer version of the original 2-d side scroller. I do not see where you see the mmo features from that video considering it consists of 4 players at one time max.
    '

Learn to read.

IF ANYTHING you just had a heart attack after replying in your ultimate nerd rage.

IF ANYTHING I was just simply pointing out some common features that Ive seen from playing mmorpgs over the last, oh I dunno, 6+ years?

I knew I shouldnt of posted anything on these bitter forums.
    Every thread, another rehash from angry nerds.

Do you refresh the page waiting to see some small detail you can jump all over?

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

The most notable MMORPG feature I see in that game is  "More Casual Friendly". Hey, lets make the game play itself!! Sorry, I find that utterly ridiculous. But then again, thats not just a MMORPG feature, seems to be the focus of the whole damn world. Lets make vehicles that auto diagnose themselves so I don't need to know anything about how my vehicle works. Or, how about a better example of calculators. People have become so reliant on calculators that they don't know how to do basic arithmetic...Whats next, brains that think for you?

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx
     The most notable MMORPG feature I see in that game is  "More Casual Friendly". Hey, lets make the game play itself!! Sorry, I find that utterly ridiculous. But then again, thats not just a MMORPG feature, seems to be the focus of the whole damn world. Lets make vehicles that auto diagnose themselves so I don't need to know anything about how my vehicle works. Or, how about a better example of calculators. People have become so reliant on calculators that they don't know how to do basic arithmetic...Whats next, brains that think for you?

Lol I know what you mean, but Im pretty sure brains DO think for you.

Ever wake up in the morning with the answer to something?
    Did you consciously think while you were sleeping?

In fact Einstein was known for deliberately taking cat naps to solve problems.

(oh wait, just dawned on me, were you being sarcastic?)

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I don't really see any mmo similarities, just reminds me of an updated version of Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES with 4 player co-op. Of course it also does seem to be dumbed down a lot to be more "family friendly," and this is one of the big reasons why I have not touched nintendo since the wii has come out. Seems like all the games have lost their challenge, and fear of failure.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

To be honest, I don't see anything even remotely MMORPG-like in that trailer.

There doesn't appear to be any character progression or persistent world.

It just looks like a multiplayer console game to me?

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

If anything i see the game sticking to its gameplay basics, which it should. I fail to see anything that would make it like an MMO. If anything is MMOs that would benefit from drawing on some Mario elements... id love going through an area just jumping over mobs and unto platforms instead of just grinding for a change.

As for the autoplay feature im not liking it myself either, but think it might have been added to deal with frustrated players. Which means the game itself may be more challenging than previous versions, guess we will have to wait and see how it works out.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

Originally posted by logangregor

Lol I know what you mean, but Im pretty sure brains DO think for you.

Ever wake up in the morning with the answer to something?

Did you consciously think while you were sleeping?

In fact Einstein was known for deliberately taking cat naps to solve problems.

(oh wait, just dawned on me, were you being sarcastic?)

Yeah, sorry. I was. I kind of blew up there. I see these as symptoms of a rather dreadful disease thats spreading throughout humanity at an alarming rate that stems from an irresponsible use of technology. There is a sociological term for the lag between culture and technology that escapes me atm, but lately its been sending me into quite the bouts of Rage.

I believe it was Lovecraft that said something along the lines, that humanity lives in a island of ignorance. And as we sail out and explore the surroundings (Science) we may one day find that the universe is truly terrifying and we will seek refuge in another Dark Age. And I believe we're starting to see some of that. Technology has advanced at such a rapid rate, that it has made living incredibly easy. The more accessible, or easier we make technology, the less knowledge is required to use it. And over time, as we delve deeper and deeper into overspecialization,  we may forget how a piece of  technology works all together, eventually causing a catastrophic system failure. What truly frightens me is when I see a lack of drive to learn or succeed, this is what I see. 

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

i think this is the way MMORPGs are going to go especially if many WoW players had thier way. games like borderlands where you play a single player game and your friends can join your game at any time.

imagine playing Everquest where there are no other players except maybe a chat box to a lobby of some kind where everything is your own instanced world of Everquest. your friend logs in and joins your instance of everquest. you two play together and level up, gather loot without the "hinderance" of other players.

this is the sad future of MMORPGs.

• AphamApham Member UncommonPosts: 99

'

Learn to read.

IF ANYTHING you just had a heart attack after replying in your ultimate nerd rage.

IF ANYTHING I was just simply pointing out some common features that Ive seen from playing mmorpgs over the last, oh I dunno, 6+ years?

... when did people get so sensitive? Was there anything threatening about my comment at all? I see me questioning your ideas of mmo features. Now talking about nerd rage who is really raging? Anyways like what I had stated previously and others also stating on this thread. IF ANYTHING it is a multiplayer version of the original 2-d side scroller and GASP guess what? that is exactly what it is.

Originally posted by Ilvaldyr
    To be honest, I don't see anything even remotely MMORPG-like in that trailer.
    There doesn't appear to be any character progression or persistent world.
    It just looks like a multiplayer console game to me?

Similarities are similarities.

Do you comprehend how broad the definition of that word is?

I could say, "In a way horses are similar to automobiles."
    Horses and automobiles are both forms of transportation. <--Fyi, thats a similarity.

I didnt say the game WAS an MMO.

And like it or not, it does share "some" similarities.

But here we are arguing semantics when my post was just a innocent observation.

If I walked into a conversation and I heard the words "Crowd Control, Player Housing and casual friendly"... I dont know about you, but the first thing that would pop into my head is MMO.

/ciao

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

And thus another stupid post about absolutely nothing to do with the subject and then op responding to replies that criticize his/her "great submission" as nerd rage. Calling a co-op experience anything related to an MMO just shows how much you know nothing about them. Happy Halloween :).

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

'

Learn to read.

... when did people get so sensitive? Was there anything threatening about my comment at all? I see me questioning your ideas of mmo features. Now talking about nerd rage who is really raging? Anyways like what I had stated previously and others also stating on this thread. IF ANYTHING it is a multiplayer version of the original 2-d side scroller and GASP guess what? that is exactly what it is.

Lol your missing it man.

I didnt claim to know what small category the game fit into.

I said it shared some similarities.

And it does.

If I was trying to say that the new Mario Game WAS A BONAFIDE MMO, then thats what I would of said. Obviously, its not.

Originally posted by Hashbrick
    And thus another stupid post about absolutely nothing to do with the subject and then op responding to replies that criticize his/her "great submission" as nerd rage. Calling a co-op experience anything related to an MMO just shows how much you know nothing about them. Happy Halloween :).

I didnt know I had to state the obvious.

I realize that mario game isnt a mmo.

Maybe thats the problem. Everyone comes here to disagree with someone else.
    I didnt think my post was flameworthy and didnt post it to get a rise out of people.

I saw in a video a few things I happened to also see in mmos and I mentioned it, thats all.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

The new Mario world game looks awesome

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Hashbrick

Honestly who's to say they didn't look at mmo's, while designing the co-op mode? Try looking outside the box every once in a while. I think people are getting a little over sensitive on the use of the acronym MMO. As the o.p. stated he wasn't claiming the game to be one. Just that he was surprised to see features usually associated with mmo's in a mario game. Though these are actually what I would call rpg features.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Malickie

Honestly who's to say they didn't look at mmo's, while designing the co-op mode? Try looking outside the box every once in a while. I think people are getting a little over sensitive on the use of the acronym MMO. As the o.p. stated he wasn't claiming the game to be one. Just that he was surprised to see features usually associated with mmo's in a mario game. Though these are actually what I would call rpg features.

It's just a multiplayer mode where you can now play with people at the same time instead of takign turns like before.  He even said that it was just a similarity that he wanted to point out.

Multiplayer in Mario

Multiplayer in a MMO

For some reason he thought it was cool enough to have its own topic and spazzed out when people said it was retarded...

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

But wouldnt

Auto-Facing

and Click-To-Move

And Auto-Combat-Follow

fit into this logic, of games play itself? But why is this excepted in game like Guild Wars and Aion then? This is what I would like to know. Only this little part of you comment.

I can't say I'm a fan of any of those. Click-to-Move is more an interface design choice, though (its overall impact is relatively low). Auto-Follow-Combat is a band-aid on the click to move combat systems, because without it, it becomes too unreliable an interface to do anything with. The Equivalent MMO system to the original post would be a system that automatically used your abilities in combat, kept following the enemy, used a potion automatically when you got low, and leveled you while you went to go get a drink. The Sad thing is, I've played a few F2P games that were exceedingly close to this.

Auto-Facing has always been a somewhat sore spot for me, I dislike it immensely, but due to poor design, and the lack of solid collision detection (casters become severely disadvantaged with people being able to walk right though them, interrupting their spell) it may be a necessary evil.

So, I guess, in hopes to answer your question, the reason they're accepted in games these days is because they're bandages on mediocre design that people have become comfortable with. Our culture, our governments are ripe with similar phenomena. It doesn't necessarily make it acceptable, but people have become accustomed to them, and hardly notice them.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

User Deleted? Was this guy the equivalent of a gold bot on the forums or something? :)

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

If his asinine replies are any indication of how he is, he probably rage-quit the forums and deleted his account.