Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall, Mortal online and Fallen Earth

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

As you are reading this please do understand i am no MMo Guru and have only played the genre for approximately 4 - 5 years. i started my time playing the WoW like most. A friend introduced me and immediately i was hooked. Never played a game of this kind and the experience was nice and fresh, a welcome break from FPs games. As a few years went past like most i grew tired of repetitive raiding and in may 2008 i purschased AoC. AoC was relatively different but extremely unplayable in terms of fps for my computer etc, so that didnt last long. Later in the year got WAR...didnt grab me at all. So 2009 came and i was eager to get Aion thinking it might be what im after, but no just another wow clone.

I beleive most of the games above are extremely similar and thats where i been going wrong.

Ill try to explain a little of what i am after...

1. No cartoons (wow)
  2. good combat system (Aion and AoC werent bad)
  3. PvP or PVE ill try both
  4. Crafting (id like to experience something a little more indepth than prev games)
  5. Id prefer more of an open world like WoW as opposed to instanced world like AoC.
  6. A fairly busy end game. Some games lack end game content.
  7. If questing is involved id rather there be a enough of them as opposed to grinding too much i dont mind some but it can get a bit tedious.
  8. A fairly busy community. I play online to interact with other players. Not too good having a big world with just you in it.
  9. Auction /Economy could be a plus but im going off what i have already played maybe ...
  10. That is about as much info as i can give you for now and i do apoligise if it isnt enough.

If you kind people could shed your thoughts on the above 3 games i am suggesting to be my next MMO i would much appreciate it. By the way im aware MO is 1st person view/

many thx

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If your system can't play Age of Conan decently you can also write off Fallen Earth. Things have gotten much better since beta/launch but cities can still be slide shows. Age of Conan works on my system better than Fallen Earth for me but it has also had about a year to improve it's use of the CPU and GPU. I've heard Mortal Online is hardware intensive too.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

I can only comment on Darkfall and Mortal online.

Darkfall currently is all about PvP.  It's fun for awhile but it is missing a lot of the sand or tools that make a sandbox game so fun.  The good news is that it appears that AV realizes this and appear to be working to change this.

Mortal Online is looking to take a step back and play games like they used to be played.  Things like not having a map but giving players the tools to make their own map.  A skill cap so you have to decide what path you want to go down.  A crafting system that is complex.  A housing system with depth.  The thing is this game will be a rough release with just it's core features intact.  If you do not have the patience to be part of a game that will take time to grow, then I would wait.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Sorry grunty i dont think i made myself clear. I was purely talking about AoC on release. I have recently had a dabble on AoC and its much smoother these days.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

if i were you, i´d give The Chronicles of Spellborn a try,  its free too

Cheers Vlad, i have downloaded spellborn and will be playing soon :)

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by Chiller1

remember to read the quest lines :) ive to say much of the npc´s saying is quite funny. have fun in that wonderfull mmo. to bad it didnt get the attention it deserved.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

this is just to "tune in" on what you have played, so here goes, have you tried:

Everquest2: roughly same age as wow, though alot more mature, and a good crafting system also

EvE: completely different ballgame, so complex that i never crafted anything except for a small shuttle lol. - a space game

Ryzom: not alot of players, very sandboxy game, good crafting also, generally a little gem, often forgotten.

LotrO: PvE heavy game, decent crafting, great lore, monster versus player "pvp" system.

I would recommend though, waiting it out a while for either SW:ToR  or try out Fallen Earth.

Heavy pvp games woud include but not limited to:

Darkfall: full loot, open world pvp, tough world, make friends ;)

MO: not released yet, same as darkfall, hopefully just a ton better.

btw, mo and df are firstperson viewgames, can take some getting used to.

edit: i could go into details about each game listed here, but its just to know if you have already tried them, or excluded them, one sentence is never enough about a single game ;)

• OddbotOddbot Member Posts: 31

How about giving LOTRO a try? It basically meets all your criteria, and they have a 15 day trial. The only thing that might disagree with your list is point  #1. The combat is a bit slower-paced than WoW, which can bother some. But know that that won't be the case for very long as the combat system will be getting a pretty big overhaul next month when the new expansion hits, which will make combat faster and more responsive. Hell MMORPG.com listed it as the best post-WoW MMO =)

Originally posted by etlar

this is just to "tune in" on what you have played, so here goes, have you tried:
    Everquest2: roughly same age as wow, though alot more mature, and a good crafting system also
    EvE: completely different ballgame, so complex that i never crafted anything except for a small shuttle lol. - a space game
    Ryzom: not alot of players, very sandboxy game, good crafting also, generally a little gem, often forgotten.
    LotrO: PvE heavy game, decent crafting, great lore, monster versus player "pvp" system.
    I would recommend though, waiting it out a while for either SW:ToR  or try out Fallen Earth.
    Heavy pvp games woud include but not limited to:
    Darkfall: full loot, open world pvp, tough world, make friends ;)
    MO: not released yet, same as darkfall, hopefully just a ton better.
    btw, mo and df are firstperson viewgames, can take some getting used to.

Well thank you Etlar that was very useful and ill try all of those if they are on a trial basis first.  Going back to MO and darkfall  etc. To me they just appeared different is all and i wasnt aware that Darkfall was 1st person view but doesnt matter tbh. Once again thank you.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

imho, avoid all 3 listed in your title

Originally posted by Oddbot

How about giving LOTRO a try? It basically meets all your criteria, and they have a 15 day trial. The only thing that might disagree with your list is point  #1. The combat is a bit slower-paced than WoW, which can bother some. But know that that won't be the case for very long as the combat system will be getting a pretty big overhaul next month when the new expansion hits, which will make combat faster and more responsive. Hell MMORPG.com listed it as the best post-WoW MMO =)

Sounds good Oddbot Ill have a little look at that also. My only concern with games typically like wow is that i may get bored but im willing to try anything new and will  donwload and give it a try like the others stated above. thx again.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

FFXIV is coming out in a year or less..

It has 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 for certain, 3 and 6 we don't know yet- but if it's anything like it's predecessor there will be a lot of endgame content as well. 

If you want more info do ask and I'll try answer.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

It has 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 for certain, 3 and 6 we don't know yet- but if it's anything like it's predecessor there will be a lot of endgame content as well. 

That is Final Fantasy 14 yes? If so i have never played no and if its upto 14 have i missed much>?

Sorry i have no idea of the game, ill check out the site and try and get a trial of some sort if its possible. If i have any further question Hyan ill ask you...Thx for the info.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

As someone else mentioned earlier, if you're looking for a totally different experience from WoW/AoC/WAR type games, you should give Eve a shot. http://www.eveonline.com/

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

As someone else mentioned earlier, if you're looking for a totally different experience from WoW/AoC/WAR type games, you should give Eve a shot. 

I will say Kaisen i am more curious about that game currently than any other. Theres very mixed views on it, it seems. Its a bit like marmite u either love it or hate it from what i have read and seen ppl commenting. Ill definately be testing the trial on this 1. thx Kaisen.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

That is Final Fantasy 14 yes? If so i have never played no and if its upto 14 have i missed much>?

Sorry i have no idea of the game, ill check out the site and try and get a trial of some sort if its possible. If i have any further question Hyan ill ask you...Thx for the info.

Don't waste your time if you're looking for something to play now.  This fanboi keeps popping up and telling people to check the game out and its NOT OUT YET.   We're looking at possible 4th quarter next year for this title.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by miagisan

imho, avoid all 3 listed in your title

I used to like you, not so much these days.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Oh no, if we're talking about MMO's you haven't missed much, only one game, so don't worry.

Basically it's a mix of EQ, UO and WoW- however still original title. If you're looking for something different, it might be exactly what you're looking for ;)

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

servers are offline at 31 oktober 2009 if i am correct, too bad :(

Originally posted by vladakov

servers are offline at 31 oktober 2009 if i am correct, too bad :

lol just firing the game up ;-)

start downloading EVE then :)

• StrontyDogStrontyDog Member Posts: 83

It sounds like you are looking for a different experience in an mmo from what you have tried before. I would recommend you go sandbox and move away from what you have tried before and instead go for something completely different. I have tried Chonicles of Spellborn and I have tried Fallen Earth and while they aren't bad games for what they are, they are nothing really different to what you tried before. The combat systems are a bit more twitch oriented which is good and you'll initially have some fun but after the 100th kill x amount of y you will get that old familiar sinking feeling again.

Your real options for a game right now are Darkfall or Eve. Space or Fantasy. Tactical or Twitch. Mortal Online isn't a game right now, beta access is all they are offering and it's not currently in a playable state.

Originally posted by nin2010

It sounds like you are looking for a different experience in an mmo from what you have tried before. I would recommend you go sandbox and move away from what you have tried before and instead go for something completely different. I have tried Chonicles of Spellborn and I have tried Fallen Earth and while they aren't bad games for what they are, they are nothing really different to what you tried before. The combat systems are a bit more twitch oriented which is good and you'll initially have some fun but after the 100th kill x amount of y you will get that old familiar sinking feeling again.
    Your real options for a game right now are Darkfall or Eve. Space or Fantasy. Tactical or Twitch. Mortal Online isn't a game right now, beta access is all they are offering and it's not currently in a playable state.

Nin thanks for your input. I do agree with you about something different and am currently downloading EVE trial as i type this. I assume Darkfall hasnt got a trial experience yet?

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

For crafting, Fallen Earth.

For everything else, Darkfall.

Mortal Online is nowhere near ready to release so don't bother even thinking about it for another year or so. It is currently barely functional. No, it isn't functional. 

• StrontyDogStrontyDog Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by nin2010

Nin thanks for your input. I do agree with you about something different and am currently downloading EVE trial as i type this. I assume Darkfall hasnt got a trial experience yet?

Darkfall doesn't have a trial yet but soon it launches it's second expansion and surely a free trial will be coming with a marketing push before Christmas we hope. No information from the devs about free trials yet though. So I would check back in a month or so and see if there's a trial for Darkfall if you aren't willing to make the leap without one. I have heard great things about Eve and everything I have read about it sounds good but personally I haven't made it past a couple of days played. That's simply me being too lazy to give the game a proper go at the moment though as I'm having too much fun in Darkfall.

• monkierojermonkierojer Member Posts: 3

If you don't mind an old game i loved FFXI but its been out for quite some time. It has a battle system i'm really fond of and a very strong community. There isn't much pvp if any but it was one of my favorite games along w/ player economy and your computer should be able to handle it. Fun crafting and all, i'd say it has everything you want except for pvp.