Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG gets a new Lead Designer

2»

Comments

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by Mathos

More like they are phasing down to lights out lol.

It's the IP that's gonna get em.  It comes with that large check that has to written every year.

Ironic.  It was the IP that made them believe they could get away with all the CHANGES, and now it's the IP that will make them close shop, maybe even prematurly per SOE, since it has been shown SOE will run a game without much community.

BTW, Hey Cosmo.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by TUX426
    Loche announced he was moving on to DCUO today and that Fiasco would be replacing him as the Lead Designer for SWG. Losing Loche is a big blow to the SWG community and anyone who knew him - he was one hell of a Developer and every problem/issue I ever had that I brought to his attention, he fixed quickly, correctly and handled it very professionally. DC is very fortunate to get him.
    Fiasco I have very little knowledge of. He's been there a long time, worked on the Chronicles system and...Ewok Love Fest (lets assume he had no choice ;) )...has 53 posts since 2003 and seems to go in 3-month increments. I'm sure he'll be great though.
    I do, however, have to worry about the dwindling staff for this game. As far as I know, the only people left (Devs) are: Adeptstrain, Fiasco, Teesquared, HanseSOE, and Jaskell. 5 devs isn't a lot with the problems this game has. But I wish them all the best of luck...they have a helluva mess to clean-up IMO.

You know, this confirms a previous statement on these forums that SWG is a "testing grounds" for future SOE game developers, Loche was lead for what? 4 months? DCU seems to be getting all the SWG ex-devs, and DCU doesn't interest me- it's too arcade-ish and Blixtev is their lead designer (UGH).

To those that says SWG is doing fine, and will continue to for years, will soon be putting their foot in their mouths.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by j1flaw

I feel like the developers are dropping like flies... I'm sure there are more than 5 devs on SWG, but there's still a lot of empty holes. They are not looking to fill those holes either from what I see. They did bring up a dev to take care of the Build and Release aspect of things, but beyond that, I see no new hires at Austin... Heck they even cut down the CR team! They used to ALWAYS have 2 people, now it's just Draakull with no anticipation of having another rep.
    If I said it didn't worry me I'd be lying, but I know that Fiasco, TT, and AdeptStrain are good developers and can get the job done. The only question I have is how long until they're burned out or move on as well? I hate saying this but I feel like it's moving closer and closer to MxO where the devs start falling off one by one until no one is left.

I think at one of the recent fan faires someone said there was either 12 people or 12 devs working on SWG I don't remember which.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by j1flaw

I feel like the developers are dropping like flies... I'm sure there are more than 5 devs on SWG, but there's still a lot of empty holes. They are not looking to fill those holes either from what I see. They did bring up a dev to take care of the Build and Release aspect of things, but beyond that, I see no new hires at Austin... Heck they even cut down the CR team! They used to ALWAYS have 2 people, now it's just Draakull with no anticipation of having another rep.
    If I said it didn't worry me I'd be lying, but I know that Fiasco, TT, and AdeptStrain are good developers and can get the job done. The only question I have is how long until they're burned out or move on as well? I hate saying this but I feel like it's moving closer and closer to MxO where the devs start falling off one by one until no one is left.

Fiasco, T2, Adept, Jaskell and HanseSOE...I know they joke about "DevH" now and then, but the dude hasn't posted for years. I think he's long gone tbh.

The last thing Draakull needs is an assistant...they need to just boot his ass.

5 Devs...one mess of a game...Of the 5 left, Adept is the only guy I feel is worthy of being called great, with Jaskell right behind him. HanseSOE should have gone to DCUO...losing him would be a blessing IMO. Fiasco I don't know enough about...except that he did Ewok Love Day...T2 hasn't done much of anything yet but release Dotanuki's crap...but in doing so, I feel he showed he's just a straw-man and a gutless puppet. The game didn't need "zombies" and a less than half arsed "Chronicles" system...it NEEDED a **edit**ing WAR! Risk vs. reward! Rebs vs. Imps...you know..."Star Warsy" stuff. The utter **edit** they've added recently does nothing to draw in the main customer...STAR WARS fans.

But...their jobs, not mine.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

What the hell is wrong with those guys?

They handed people the CU and NGE and know that it was a massive F**K up.

Yet they won't reverse things, They will just let a game die.

As a business man I just don't understand why they wouldn't at least release Origin servers.

When running a business the goal is to make the most profit over the longest period possible.

You would have to be a god damn idiot to not see that Pre-Cu Swg would bring in more cash than the NGE even six months after its release.

Now all these years have passed and with around 5 developers they can't even go back and change it if they wanted to.

So freaking sad.

If I was heading a New mmo up I would make sure I had a list of everyone responsible for this boneheaded decision  and make sure they never work for me, Ever!

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

Drak has an assistant :

Profile for :: Amnerys

Ranking: Community Relations

Registration date: 06/02/2008 12:01:30

The new buildmaster:

Hi All,

I have the bittersweet task of introducing my replacement as SWG Buildmaster, Undertoad. I'll be moving down the hall to work on DCUO in about a week, but not before I've had a chance to show Undertoad all the ropes here (including making sure he knows the date before making each post

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

And the GCW publish is all they are working on now, since they did not promise it would be out this year the devs have alot of time to get this done right.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

IMO Draakull is about the worst thing ever to come along SWG (or any SOE game), he's far too social and emo and isn't very good with the CRM job.

Originally posted by sookster54

IMO Draakull is about the worst thing ever to come along SWG (or any SOE game), he's far too social and emo and isn't very good with the CRM job.

While I know he's just a pawn, I have to agree with you. His complete and utter lack of any professionalism amazes me. At a block party earlier this year, he told a guildmate of mine FAR too many personal things...things an employee who is representing the company at the time, should NEVER EVER disclose. Things like how he was suicidal until he got this job, how his life was filled with one bad decision after another...stuff any moron with ANY common sense would NEVER disclose to customers. That's the kinda stuff you tell your best friends while swigging beers at the local pub...not customers.

But skip those...look at his treatment of players on the forums! That alone speaks volumes. Using his CRM name to build a city on Eclipse was just rude. Forget about all the people who had struggled to keep their cities alive...instead of joining the SWG community that was on Eclipse, he formed his own. Nice lol.

I think he may have actually been a Mod before getting the CRM role - not sure if that was truth or just rumor though. He did have to move to Austin though and he pursued SoE for the job...they didn't advertise it.

While he can't be blamed for what Dotanuki did to SWG, he certainly has done more than his fair share to alienate the customers who paid his salary.

GAH! Double post!

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

SWG going shrink in to a very very small MMO community come next year! SOE claims Biowares Star Wars MMO doesn't compete with SWG as they do different things, yet all the changes SOE has done to SWG since NGE is to make it more appealing to the young teenagers, Bioware MMO will attract these too, SWG lost a huge part of it's mature community when the NGE hit, the players they've picked up since then has very much been the young wow kiddie crowed who'll all head off to Biowares MMO leaving SWG very very empty.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

SWG's new lead designer is named Fiasco?  How appropriate.  Was the name Poochscrew not available?

Unless his first order of business is reinstating Pre-CU, he's just rearranging the deck chairs.

• checkmybraincheckmybrain Member Posts: 3

I would think it is safe now to assume that any software developer getting moved from within SOE to SWG is a punative action against that employee. Think of that Seinfeld episode when George's boss finds out he is not handicapped after all and moves him to that ramshackle office, etc.

I'll put down even money SOE is pulling the plug in January on this game.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

SWG's new lead designer is named Fiasco?  How appropriate.  Was the name Poochscrew not available?
    Unless his first order of business is reinstating Pre-CU, he's just rearranging the deck chairs.

Rearranging those deck chairs is getting trickier since they are quickly sliding to the bow of this sinking ship.  There is no bailing out of this one. It is now a matter who we will see go down with the SWG ship. To be honest, SWG has dying a slow death for four years, and since $OE needs devs (for DCUO), it is easier to cannibalise SWG for them.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

A friend of mine always referred to screwing the pooch as "seducing the canine" lol.  That always cracked me up.  Yes I think canine seduction summarizes much of what has been done to this game, and it would make a very appropirate forum handle for a lead dev...just don't show me the avatar please. 

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897
    Originally posted by metalhead980

What the hell is wrong with those guys?

They handed people the CU and NGE and know that it was a massive F**K up.

Yet they won't reverse things, They will just let a game die.

As a business man I just don't understand why they wouldn't at least release Origin servers.

When running a business the goal is to make the most profit over the longest period possible.

You would have to be a god damn idiot to not see that Pre-Cu Swg would bring in more cash than the NGE even six months after its release.

Now all these years have passed and with around 5 developers they can't even go back and change it if they wanted to.

So freaking sad.

If I was heading a New mmo up I would make sure I had a list of everyone responsible for this boneheaded decision  and make sure they never work for me, Ever!

At that time a pre cu server would have been taken as them saying they were wrong, to change the game now its just to late.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The title of this thread should have been "SWG Lead Designer pulled for other project."

Giving people the feeling that getting a new lead designer is a "good" thing, as compared to the fact that the few experienced devs SOE can hold on to have all been pulled from SWG to go work on other projects, which is most certainly not a good thing for SWG, is not accurate.

Especially in this case, as the guy getting the nod was reportedly responsible for doing the whole flying pink ewok debacle.

This game is on its way down for the final time, and SOE's actions speak louder any "official" PR spin.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Burntvet

This game is on its way down for the final time, and SOE's actions speak louder any "official" PR spin.

"Official" spin will make the games sunset to be it's greatest "success" ever if the server shutdowns are any indication.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

"Official" spin will make the games sunset to be it's greatest "success" ever if the server shutdowns are any indication.

Yeah, nothing in the SOE world is a greater success than failure.

Maybe if they say it a few more times it might come true.

At least that's how Smed runs his show...

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

A friend of mine always referred to screwing the pooch as "seducing the canine" lol.  That always cracked me up.  Yes I think canine seduction summarizes much of what has been done to this game, and it would make a very appropirate forum handle for a lead dev...just don't show me the avatar please. 

Wondering if SOE is sending employee's to a school to learn how to properly suduce the canine. Seems like everytime you hear about them having a good idea or in some cases stealing a good idea they go and turn the system into the ultimate let down.

Chroicles i really thought while being alittle cheesy could have been a cool addition for an alternate way for ppl grinding that dont want to touch the buggy content in game. Thought about grinding a toon myself off the system just to get another toon to 90 and to get master for a toon. But after coming back and seeing that the system itself isnt without problems and the way they set up the need to grind on mobs that drop relics for things totally not related to themselves i found that idea to be totally not worth while.

As far as the Devs i think some really do try but limited numbers, SOE/LA, and in general time resrictions kill any chance the ppl can really make a difference. The game isself isnt bad but the broken elements and the fact that they think content is go kill 100 of this or that is creating a black hole in their subs.

The title of this thread should have been "SWG Lead Designer pulled for other project."
    Giving people the feeling that getting a new lead designer is a "good" thing, as compared to the fact that the few experienced devs SOE can hold on to have all been pulled from SWG to go work on other projects, which is most certainly not a good thing for SWG, is not accurate.
    Especially in this case, as the guy getting the nod was reportedly responsible for doing the whole flying pink ewok debacle.

I apologize if the title mislead you, that wasn't my intent, nor is it a "good thing" for SWG. They've lost far too many of their few quality people for it to be a "good thing". IMO, this is as clear a sign as to the state of SWG as the Free Character Transfer Service was an obvious step to server closures.

And I especially agree with your last line...the game is on its way out for good!

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Are you serious, somebody's name is Fiasco?

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Lol.  Lead programmer named Fiasco, Art director is named Disaster, the Network guy is named Exodus, and Sound programmer is named Fail.

lol.  Can you imagine trying to get hired for any job with the name Fiasco?

This discussion has been closed.