Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm amazed, this is the best trailer ever!

This has absolutely nothing to do about mmorpgs, but I just watched the new trailer for James Camerons Avatar, and omg, I think my dick just got bigger.. This trailer is amazing, I post this so that all of you who has not seen this do so - right now :) And because i'm so hyped!

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I don't know about it being the "best trailer ever", but it definitely makes me interested in seeing the movie. Hopefully they didn't show all the best parts in the trailer like so many modern movies do.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Alle90Alle90 Member Posts: 83

The thing that i think is really amazing is that most of the movie is completely CGI - including the na'vi (bluepeople), makes gollum look like something from a 64 cutscene

• GrafbendaGrafbenda Member Posts: 51

I agree, it looks very good.  Can't wait to see it!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

That looks astonishing.

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

It's the same old white guy falls in with non-white people, learns that non-white people are people too, then teams up with non-white people against evil white people... see: Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, District 9.

That said, it looks like even if this movie suck, it will be beutiful enough just to stare at for 2 hours.

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

Also, not to nitpick, and it's certainly not my job to moderate, but there are forums on mmorpg.com that are specifically for things that have nothing to with mmorpgs.

• FirstWizardFirstWizard Member Posts: 7

It's not "the best trailer ever" for me. It's much too long and shows too much of the plot for my taste - like most trailers sadly.

• beauxajbeauxaj Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by NotNiceDino

It's the same old white guy falls in with non-white people, learns that non-white people are people too, then teams up with non-white people against evil white people... see: Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, District 9.
    That said, it looks like even if this movie suck, it will be beutiful enough just to stare at for 2 hours.

Have to agree with NotNice on this one, Its the same story told over again, but I'll still be watching it. 

On another note....WHAT THE HELL!!!?!?!? They're redoing V ?!?!?

There are very, very few original plots, with some scholars saying there are only seven original plots throughout literature, so I wouldn't hold that against it.  Even District 9 was preceded by Alien Nation, and as with all stories, it is the power of the storyteller that makes or breaks a tale.

For those who are curious, one list of Original Plots cites:  1. Overcoming the Monster, 2. Rags to Riches, 3. The Quest, 4. Voyage and Return, 5. Comedy, 6. Tragedy, 7. Rebirth.  Another list cites: [Wo]man vs. nature, Wo]man vs. man, Wo]man vs. the environment, Wo]man vs. machines/technology, Wo]man vs. the supernatural, Wo]man vs. self, Wo]man vs. god/religion.

You'll find most of those in games and MMOs, too, as these themes seem very symbolic to we poor humans. 

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

You don't have to do a new plot, just do an old one really well.

You think Harry Potter is the first time a son seeks revenge on the person that killed his father? Let's start with Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Anyway, this looks amazing.

I've talked with some people that say what Hollywood wants is to get rid of pesky actors. Looks like they are moving forward with this movie.

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Exactly.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

I dig James Cameron. I think Terminator and Aliens are two of the best sci-fi flicks ever made to this day.

Yet Avatar....

sorry I saw the plot back in 1990...it was called Dances with Wolves.

This version just has aliens and cool ideas about inhabiting alien bodies.

Kind of a let down if you ask me.

:p 
  • kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by garrett

I dig James Cameron. I think Terminator and Aliens are two of the best sci-fi flicks ever made to this day.
    Yet Avatar....
    sorry I saw the plot back in 1990...it was called Dances with Wolves.
    This version just has aliens and cool ideas about inhabiting alien bodies.
    Kind of a let down if you ask me.

dude what the hell are you talking about... Terminator and Aliens... pff.. you forgot to mention Titanic <3 <3 <3

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

From the small amount that we see, it looks like a Space version of Pocahontas.  Still looks good though.

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Exactly.

My problem with that plot though, isn't that it's been done... it's that Hollywood believe that the only way white people can relate to non-white people is to make the main character a white person. Give me a good reason the main character in Avatar could not have just been a blue cat-person thing defending his home? What purpose did Tom Cruise serve in The Last Samurai besides offending me with his presence?

...and since this an MMO forum why is the only thing they've released about the plot of World of Warcraft that it will be Human-centric? That's just stupid. In fact making the WoW movie anything besides Lord of The Clans would be stupid. But you see my point...

Why does everything have to based around white people.... even when it's not?

I'm sure if you watch Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Indian movies, etc., I'm sure you will find they do the exact same thing.  So what?

Plus at well over 50, I have very rarely seen ANY new plots whatsoever for many years, be it book or movie  You get used to it.     

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I know yeah, watched the HD version yesterday and thought it is a talethat has been told many times before(as someone else  has mentioned, this movie looks awesome.   Can't wait to go see it. ^ _^

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Much better than the first trailer, and the facial animation looks a bit cleaner now.  Its still so fake though.  Its like they didn't even try to fool you or make you believe anything is real.  The mechs and everything mechanical just look BAD.     REALLY, really bad as in, "HELLO I'M CG".  The suit in District9 blows this out of the water and that was done by a fairly small house.  Maybe it'll look better in IMax.

The whole movie would've been better off in CG to be honest, since the only thing real about it are the human actors.  Its Cameron and he can do no wrong, so regardless, it should be as awesome as all his movies...except Pirana2=)  After so many years in production I still can't believe the Navi ended up looking like that.  Cat people??   Thats the best they could come up with?   Sure the whole plot is one giant cliche we've seen a million times, but he always delivers.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

There are very, very few original plots, with some scholars saying there are only seven original plots throughout literature, so I wouldn't hold that against it.  Even District 9 was preceded by Alien Nation, and as with all stories, it is the power of the storyteller that makes or breaks a tale.

For those who are curious, one list of Original Plots cites:  1. Overcoming the Monster, 2. Rags to Riches, 3. The Quest, 4. Voyage and Return, 5. Comedy, 6. Tragedy, 7. Rebirth.  Another list cites: [Wo]man vs. nature, Wo]man vs. man, Wo]man vs. the environment, Wo]man vs. machines/technology, Wo]man vs. the supernatural, Wo]man vs. self, Wo]man vs. god/religion.

You'll find most of those in games and MMOs, too, as these themes seem very symbolic to we poor humans. 

Agree with NotNiceDino

It's not the same "tragedy" or "man vs the environment" as "guy falls in with non-white people, learns that non-white people are people too, then teams up with non-white people against evil white people".

Watching that plot over and over again has become boring.

Add to that the "man falls in love with cute savage girl" (ok she is blue this time).

And on another side, the awkward movements of CGI creatures and machines.

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

this looks like

District 9 meets Ferngully

Aliens/Abyss-style military adventure meets Furries

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Im excited...

This is pretty much James Cameron's baby. You can bet its going to get the effort it deserves.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Not only does he fall in with them but it looks like he becomes a leader too.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I think we are at a point were we can barely come up with anything new and creative anymore, its all been done in one way or another.  I look around, read etc. and i always get that feeling that i have read or seen this before.  All they can basically do is make things good enough to watch/read, i don't think we will see very many new creative ideas if any at all.

That said, i can't wait to watch it, i'm not gonna compare it to anything i have seen before, i'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is and how its delivered. hopefully they don't screw it up lol.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Looks like someone payed attention in high school literature. 

Seems a lot of you folks are basing way too much on a simple trailer.  You get the idea of the plot, thats fine.. but you have no idea how the plot unfolds, develops and is finalized.  Thats the entire purpose behind reading or watching a film.  The creator hopes to leave his/her audience a little more educated then they were before they heard the story.  The way in which its told is the trick, if it truely captivates the easier it is for the audience to understand its meaning.

IE.  I can tell you that the United States was settled by europeans, and in doing so they stole the homes of many native american indians.  Until you read more of the details in how they were slaughtered, how new untreatable diseases were brought into their land and how they were forced out of the land that they were born you cannot begin to understand the cruelty of the whole situation.  Thats why stories are told, to shed new light through a different perspective so people learn.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."