Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Military Personnel Get Six Months Free

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Military personnel that can verify their status through a .mil e-mail address will be able to partake in an interesting promotion announced by Flying Lab Software this week. The promotion offers six months of Pirates of the Burning Sea to military personnel, however, in order to continue playing after the free six months you will still have to purchase a copy of the game.

Current subscribers who are in the military will also be able to add an additional six months to their subscription time at no cost as part of this offer.

Further details on the promotion can be found here.

Comments

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

They need all the experience they can get when it comes to fighting pirates!

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I hope this covers for all military in the world right?

Or is this just for the americans?

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Since you need a .mil address to qualify - afaik it's only american military pers.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Very cool. /salute Flying Labs.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• HeliosXIIHeliosXII Member Posts: 72

Nice idea. Too bad more game publishers don't do this.

• SlaynnSlaynn Member UncommonPosts: 109

I signed up with this deal and have been having fun.  The community is respectable and the gameplay reminds me of Sid Meiers Pirates.  Granted I've only played for a day or so but as of now I am greatly enjoying myself.

Many thanks to Flying Labs for extending this gracious offer.

It's gotten to the point where some MMOs have been reduced to little more than success dispensers. Don't think. Don't challenge yourself. Do as little as possible... but still be rewarded for it. Yeah.. *that's* fun.

-- WSIMike

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

cool, 20 new players for the company, gj!

I take it you are not in the military? Military pay = crap and at least my schedule doesnt always allow reliable time to play an MMO and make it worth paying the monthly fee.

Free to play for military=win.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

I take it you are not in the military? Military pay = crap and at least my schedule doesnt always allow reliable time to play an MMO and make it worth paying the monthly fee.

Not only that, it's a nice little "thank you" to the troops for doing what they do for us.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by HeliosXII

Not only that, it's a nice little "thank you" to the troops for doing what they do for us.

They certaibly dont do anything for me since im not american.

Still, you guys really think they do this to thank the troops? Its nothing more than a publicitary trick, and one using military and wars.... seems a bit of bad taste to me

Originally posted by tryklon

Still, you guys really think they do this to thank the troops? Its nothing more than a publicitary trick, and one using military and wars.... seems a bit of bad taste to me

The altruism (or lack thereof) behind it doesn't really matter. It counts.

• UniveUnive Member Posts: 133

Get over it kid, its an American company. Jesus, is it your time of the month? People need to get a fucking life and stop worrying about things that do not negatively effect them. GET A LIFE. =D

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Is that some kind of... joke?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• whoepswhoeps Member Posts: 2

If they are this desperate to get people to play this game they might as well shut it down. How can you justify this to a paying subscriber?

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Wow. I don't really understand this thought process. These people risk their lives for their friends and family and you can't see value in that, sure it's not YOUR country. People call Americans arrogant, which I won't disagree with a lot of, but you obviously are a little more arrogant than that.

Originally posted by whoeps

If they are this desperate to get people to play this game they might as well shut it down. How can you justify this to a paying subscriber?

When these "paying subscribers" can say they willingly put their lives on the line in order to protect and serve their country, then we'll talk. ^^

When these "paying subscribers" can say they willingly put their lives on the line in order to protect and serve their country, then we'll talk. ^^

we should give them free anything they want then right? cops too.. and firemen...

your points of putting their lives on the line may be valid, but most people are gonna call the current day war BS, and not really give a shit, lost lives suck, no one is gonna downplay that, but .. gotta be out of your mind to sign up for the army with a bush in office... ANYWAYS

One: a game is hardly "anything they want." Stop making it sound like some huge conspiracy against those not in the armed forces.

Two: What people think of the current war is irrelevant; it's happening.

Three: Bush isn't even in office anymore.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

we should give them free anything they want then right? cops too.. and firemen...

your points of putting their lives on the line may be valid, but most people are gonna call the current day war BS, and not really give a shit, lost lives suck, no one is gonna downplay that, but .. gotta be out of your mind to sign up for the army with a bush in office... ANYWAYS

Simple justification for giving to the military. It shows appreciation and goodwill. Regardless of why they did it, its a respectable way to advertise that isn't underhanded.

Also, I would rather sign up for the military under a "warmonger" or any conservative president rather than this one we have now that appears weak to the world. At least with Bush I'd know I'd have backup.

I am not in the military and I am a paying subscriber. I honestly think this is a good idea and don't feel slighted in the least.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

I think it is a bit unfortunate that this offer only applies to US military personnel. It sends a clear political message as to whom they support. Now, I seriously doubt we're going to see a bunch of terorists suicide bombing the servers or the developers for that matter. However, it just might turn off some potential subscribers who are opposed to this whole war and what the US is doing. Might.

Bottomline is, if the pay is so crappy that independent companies have to make offers like this to compensate out of goodwill, wouldn't it be more resonable to raise the pay and put the burden on the government who is responsible for making the decisions? If that means having to raise the taxes or cut funding elsewhere, well - it's a democracy and people are free to vote against it, right?

Anyway, I'm not all bend out of shape over this. I'm okay with FLS doing what they're doing. I just think it would be better if the men risking their lives on the battlefield are paid what they're worth, so that companies serving a multinational audience don't have to get involved. But meh - as someone said, it's probably just a publicity stunt. I just don't see the value in this since the game really doesn't strike me as having enough content to keep people playing once the 6 months are up.

*shrug*

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• SlaynnSlaynn Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Originally posted by Faelan

I think it is a bit unfortunate that this offer only applies to US military personnel. It sends a clear political message as to whom they support. Now, I seriously doubt we're going to see a bunch of terorists suicide bombing the servers or the developers for that matter. However, it just might turn off some potential subscribers who are opposed to this whole war and what the US is doing. Might.
    Bottomline is, if the pay is so crappy that independent companies have to make offers like this to compensate out of goodwill, wouldn't it be more resonable to raise the pay and put the burden on the government who is responsible for making the decisions? If that means having to raise the taxes or cut funding elsewhere, well - it's a democracy and people are free to vote against it, right?
    Anyway, I'm not all bend out of shape over this. I'm okay with FLS doing what they're doing. I just think it would be better if the men risking their lives on the battlefield are paid what they're worth, so that companies serving a multinational audience don't have to get involved. But meh - as someone said, it's probably just a publicity stunt. I just don't see the value in this since the game really doesn't strike me as having enough content to keep people playing once the 6 months are up.
    *shrug*

The pay is fine.  People get wrapped around the axle about how much they get paid in the military but it is pretty good.  I'm not going to break it all down to you here but that information isn't hard to find. 

What other job will take someone who is straight out of highschool train them in whatever job, teach them life skills, pay them through all of this in addition to having one of the most conprehensive benefits packages around?  I could be way off base here but not many come to mind.

As far as political messages from a game company giving away free subs to soldiers?  That is a bit redonkulous.  You could insert whatever you wanted instead of soldier and come up with something.   Free PotBS subs for loggers does not default to 'I hate conservationists trying to save the trees' it simply means they have a soft spot for loggers and want to act on that.  I will also say that these guys are a business.  Of course they are going to have some sort of benefit from most of what they do.  From where I'm sitting I'm just fine with companies giving out subs to soldiers.  I can care less if the 'super secret squirrel ninja' underlying objective is for them to make more money off of residual subs, my little pirate boat is kickin ass and I appreciate the opportunity to play.  ;) 

It's gotten to the point where some MMOs have been reduced to little more than success dispensers. Don't think. Don't challenge yourself. Do as little as possible... but still be rewarded for it. Yeah.. *that's* fun.

-- WSIMike

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

they can't win wars why should they than win against some random NPC´s? the US military is the most worst  in the world. mil .. ridiculous. 

Originally posted by brezel

they can't win wars why should they than win against some random NPC´s? the US military is the most worst  in the world. mil .. ridiculous. 

Cant win wars?

Desert Storm is a recent example of how the US military destroyed the 4th largest army in the world within weeks with the lowest casualty rate of any war prior.

If you are talking about a war against terrorists who hide in caves or among innocent villagers with knives to childrens throats to make sure they stay hidden? Then yes, thats a rough war. But we didn't start it, we just want to end it.

• Regardless of reason it is a very cool offer. I am in the service and I will be taking them up on this offer and probably pay for my sife to play with me for those 6 months. So while it is of course an advertising campaign and a way to get more subs it works. And it is very cool.

Yeah the pay isn't as horrible as it used to be, but it still isn't as high as it should be for what we in the service have to deal with, namly life and death situations (literaly) extended periods away from our families and such. And yes we did all volunteer for it so I am not complaining, but it is very cool to get a little love every now and then, I mean after all we don't start the wars we just fight in them. YOu want to hate someone for starting something look at the politicians, or the weak cowards that have to attack innocent people with suicide bombers or any other number of cowardly attacks.

Either way I am in and it is a very cool offer and I salute them and thank them for it.

• MoriwenneMoriwenne Member UncommonPosts: 20

Hmm what's the message here?

Why are cops, fbi, cia, nsa, secret service, etc, not included? Common.... :)

Originally posted by Moriwenne

Hmm what's the message here?

Why are cops, fbi, cia, nsa, secret service, etc, not included? Common.... :)

Military personel are the lowest paid of that group. They are also in the highest danger.

None of the agencies or issues you mentioned are in very much danger or paid as low. Soldiers are also the most neglected and have the most to endure. All the rest of those guys you mentioned get to live at home and be with thier families for the most part.

Just let go of the narrow-minded view.

• MoriwenneMoriwenne Member UncommonPosts: 20

If anything I want to widen the offer :)

Also I think the highest danger is debatable.

2% of military personnel will be severely injured or killed during their military career.

10% of police officers will be severely injured or killed during their law enforcement career.

Source: Police academy training

I'm not that invested in the matter anyway, it's their game and they can do whatever they want with it, besides I'm only a casual pirates gamer now so, I'm on chill mode.