Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 reasons you must play Torchlight

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. It's by the guys who co-designed Diablo and Diablo II (and, consequently, plays a lot like a more streamlined version of those two). Take a bow, Max and Erich Schaefer, as well as Travis Baldtree, the guy responsible for WildTangent's laudable 2005 action-RPG Fate. Forget the absent Blizzard "seal of approval," these are the guys that made Blizzard.

2. It's a PC-only game. Well, PC in the "personal computing" sense anyway (there's a Mac port in the works). Point is, here's one to throw at all those consoles-do-or-diers, who'll be dropping $60 or more on games half as cool (okay, maybe two-thirds) through the holidays.

3. It's built to run like a turbo-charged super-car beamed back from the future. Everything about this thing cooks. The interface snaps to attention when you interact with vendors or drag items around, levels load in microseconds, and your character books across the screen like a magic-laden cruise missile.

4. The story begins "I have always been a wanderer," which is only slightly more cliched than "Call me Ishmael," or "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," though not as racy as "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins" or as astonishing as "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice." The magic realism version next time, eh Runic?

5. There's an optional ultra 'hardcore' tick box above and beyond the "very hard" difficulty setting. It makes death permanent. My level two destroyer croaked earlier, and that's all he'll ever write--no reloading or resurrecting. New character or bust. Brutal, Runic, simply brutal.

6. The music sounds just like the pensive, finger-plucking, steel-sliding twelve-string dirge that practically defined the original Diablo. That's because Matt Uelman wrote it, and--you guessed it--Uelman's the guy behind Diablo, as well Diablo 2, StarCraft, and World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. Diablo's soundtrack was great. Torchlight's is even better.

7. It's not Diablo 3. Sick of all the slobbering Diablo 3-worship? Here's your chance to vote "not Blizzard." Until Diablo 3 arrives next year, anyway, and you scream like a little child all the way to the store to buy a copy.

8. It runs on a Netbook. Seriously. It even has a "netbook mode."

9. Runic says it'll release Torchlight's entire suite of development tools as a free gift to the modding community, available from the game's official site. Did I mention the part about the toolset being free?

10. Diablo 3...what's Diablo 3?

Source: www.pcworld.com/article/174548/10_reasons_you_must_play_torchlight.html/

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Blind fanboy or paid advertisement?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Blind fanboy or paid advertisement?

Yes.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

why would I want to vote 'NO to blizzard'? blizzard make great games. and i dont really do single player games anymore. looks good though, but i think i'll wait until they add multiplayer or actually release info on the mmo, if its actually true they are making it.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Toquio3

why would I want to vote 'NO to blizzard'? blizzard make great games. and i dont really do single player games anymore. looks good though, but i think i'll wait until they add multiplayer or actually release info on the mmo, if its actually true they are making it.

You do realize that these are the guys that made Diablo and Diablo 2 ? They were a large part of the Blizzard North crew.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I found Torchlight quite fun.

Drawbacks

No multiplay. WTF

Quests are odd.

Need more infor on spells and abilities.

Pros

Fast paced

fun

tons o loot

abilities are quite different as well as auto attacks from oen weapon tot he next can greatly differ.

Oh and d3 = fail boat. Still most people don't choose good game they choose popular games, go fig.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Huh, 10 reasons and not a single one described the gameplay much.  I don't even know what genre this game fits in.

I'm assuming it's an Action-RPG?

Also it being from developers of Blizzard games isn't an instant success.  /cough Hellgate London /cough

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

No, the OP is pretty much correct. It is that fun.

Also, going to be a MMO eventually.

They released it as a SP game for now. Mostly to get cash I would think.

But it is really fun.

But the only draw back is no multi-player, but meh, it's damn fun.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

This game is has the fun I expected from Hellgate:London. HGL tried to do too much in too short of time. They failed miserably. But you can see the experience and pride in these devs. This is a very polished and simple Action RPG game. It has close to the same feeling of Diablo II. You can definitely see the influence of DII in the deveiopment of this game, from the music to the gameplay. For example, I am playing a dual-wield berserker to start. There is strategy involved to maximize his abilities. I have a slash attack that I'm pouring skill points to and his aoe/dps ablility is becoming much better. I try and draw in as many mobs to my blades and give the special attack.

I like the fact that there are healing and mana shrines (sound familiar). I like the ablility to look anything and send the dog into town to sell the loot and come back with the cash quickly.  It's easy to play the game at first, still it gets more interesting and you have to think more as you go along. You start seeing your strengths and weaknesses. It is definitely not story driven, the purpose is to dive in and kill. Still there are puzzles in the dungeons. Easy right now but I haven't gone far. The art style is like WoW. I'm sure you can find videos on youtube to confirm this.

I do have a few minor complaints. One when fighting on rock levels, it is hard to see the stairs because they don't stand out enough, at least for my eyesight. There isn't any help button to at least show commands (although there really isn't very many). Also I wish I could change the macros on keyboard keys easier. You can't change them in options, you actually have to change the data in the program files. 

If you don't like single player games and I sure understand why you wouldn't want to play Torchlight. There will be a multiplayer game in the future. Runic Games is taking their time to get it right. However if you like single player Action RPG's you will like this game. I've played a lot of action RPG's (my favorite genre) and this game ranks up there. I'm having the most fun in an action RPG since Diablo II. I've played Titan Quest, Sacred Gold, and Hellgate:London). And I like Torchlight more, although HGL has far more advanced graphics.

I am unexpectedly enjoying this game more than I thought I would. It's becoming more addicting the longer I play.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

why would I want to vote 'NO to blizzard'?

I would love to vote no to blizzard! Since I have in no way enjoyed a blizzard game since DiabloII. I'm a die-hard Diablo fan but not even looking forward to Diablo3, they totally butchered what I loved about the previous two.. (D3 does not even offer custom stat building)

How are the character's stats distributed in Torchlight?? I'm quite interested in what i've heard so far, but if the stats are linear it's just another miss in my books.

(Edit: Well i'm downloading it now, from what I've seen on youtube it seems pretty much like Fate but with a darker atmosphere, which isn't a bad thing at all. Wish there were more class choices though, but hopfully they followed Fate's setup in allowing some cross-classing skills. Btw the music got my heart pumping, it's instantly reconizable =D)

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Huh, 10 reasons and not a single one described the gameplay much.  I don't even know what genre this game fits in.
    Also it being from developers of Blizzard games isn't an instant success.  /cough Hellgate London /cough

These guys were a part of FSS but they did not work on Hellgate, they worked on Mythos. You do remember Mythos don't you ?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by Magnum2103

These guys were a part of FSS but they did not work on Hellgate, they worked on Mythos. You do remember Mythos don't you ?

Yes, although I never actually played Mythos.  Keep in mind that Mythos suffered the same fate as Hellgate London (in fact Mythos never even got out of beta).  I'm in no way saying it was there fault though.  Just saying having star developers from other companies working on projects doesn't always turn out well.  Daikatana is another example.  I actually enjoyed Hellgate too, it just suffered from overhype and crazy marketing schemes that put off lots of players.

Anyway, usually when you go and give a list of reasons for wanting to play a game you mention gameplay.  You don't go listing what computers it can run on or what the past developers worked on unless you are riding on some hype train.  However considering some of it's metacritic reviews (decent at 86 average right now) and it's light price tag ($20) it might be worth checking out.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

I bought torchlight and I am eagerly awaiting D3.

Why only like one?  Torchlight is an excellent step in the right direction...just hope it's MMO counterpart shapes up even better (with some more Mythos inspirations - as that was great even in beta).

But in the end, Torchlight doesnt need to bash D3 or blizzard...it has its own merit :P and being able to run on a netbook, had me do a double take, lol.  Good stuff.

And Mythos was good enough to release  (even better condition what most publishers ship out these days) and could of done well with a similar price tag - they just waffled & the studio was already in the red pretty bad = no release.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

I found Torchlight quite fun.
    Drawbacks
    No multiplay. WTF
    Quests are odd.
    Need more infor on spells and abilities.

No multiplayer is weird. Then I read a post from someone who worked on the game at SA. Apparently Torchlight is sort of an intro to the story/background to a f2p MMO Perfect World is going to release in about a year and a half. That's apparently where our multiplayer went. 

Some very cool improvements I noticed from the demo though.

1: You pick up gold by walking over it. No more clicking 9,000 little stacks of gold.

2: Your pet (cool in itself) can actually go back to town and sell its inventory for you. No more running in and out of a dungeon to sell all the crap. 

Still going through it, but it's actually a fairly refreshing game given how "done" the genre is. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Toquio3 why would I want to vote 'NO to blizzard'? blizzard make great games. and i dont really do single player games anymore. looks good though, but i think i'll wait until they add multiplayer or actually release info on the mmo, if its actually true they are making it.

You do realize that these are the guys that made Diablo and Diablo 2 ? They were a large part of the Blizzard North crew.

Yes. Blizzard is not comprised of the same people. They are greedy, arrogant, jerks now that care more about marketing and capitalization of their IP than they do about games or the gaming community. That is why so very many people in Blizzard left the company. There was a big fuss years ago around the time WoW was about to be released. That is the biggest reason WoW was amazing when it was released and has become complete shite since.

I plan to Vote "No" to Blizzard. They represent what horrible things can happen to a company with too big a head, and I can only vote with money. You can vote with your money too.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Yes. Blizzard is not comprised of the same people. They are greedy, arrogant, jerks now that care more about marketing and capitalization of their IP than they do about games or the gaming community. That is why so very many people in Blizzard left the company. There was a big fuss years ago around the time WoW was about to be released. That is the biggest reason WoW was amazing when it was released and has become complete shite since.

I plan to Vote "No" to Blizzard. They represent what horrible things can happen to a company with too big a head, and I can only vote with money. You can vote with your money too.

Pretty much this a thousand times ^^^^

The fact that they agreed to partner with Activision, home of Bobby Kotick, aka the most punchable man in history, speaks volumes.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Originally posted by Kordesh

Pretty much this a thousand times ^^^^

The fact that they agreed to partner with Activision, home of Bobby Kotick, aka the most punchable man in history, speaks volumes.

I'm also eagerly awaiting Diablo 3 but I coun't agree more as well. Blizzard lost so many good talented people and it is taking them forever to even push out Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Ten years in the making and they still have to finish the new battle.net. Inexcusable for a company that makes millions. They certainly have lost their midas touch.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

How are they greedy or arrogant jerks?

WoW hasn't come become shite, on the contrary. It has only become better since release.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Toquio3 why would I want to vote 'NO to blizzard'? blizzard make great games. and i dont really do single player games anymore. looks good though, but i think i'll wait until they add multiplayer or actually release info on the mmo, if its actually true they are making it.

You know, I think I've sat through this movie once before already. Crew from Blizzard North, senior development staff on Diablo and Diablo II, making a Diablo-killer after leaving Blizzard. Let's see, I believe it was called...Hellgate: London?

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Looks like a decent game.  Went to Youtube and watched some of the gameplay.  Brings back memories of all the hours I spent in Diablo 2.

Might check it out, hell, for only $20.00 USD it will be worth it.  Not bad graphics either.

• sadeisinsanesadeisinsane Member Posts: 58

I don't understand how you can make the above statement.  Blizzard, regardless of who does or does not work for them at this point do spend a great deal of effort in providing games that are very well polished.  They provide new content for their games from time to time, some being in expansions, and some with just patch updates.  They provide Blizzcon which allows you as a gamer to go see what's going on, try out new stuff, and they give a ton of free stuff away while your there as well. They support games like Diablo 2, and Starcraft that have been around for years, yet they still maintain active servers for the fans that still play.  Even though you do have to pay for some stuff, like subscription fees to WoW (if you play), and tickets to Blizzcon (if you want to go), that's not anything different then what you would do if you played another game that required a monthly fee, or went to a different gaming convention.

Allthough I no longer to care for playing WoW, it doesn't mean that  Blizzard sucks, it just means I don't like playing WoW anymore because it just doesn't hold my interests anymore, I have moved on.  Its still a high quality, well polished game with very few problems, and Blizzard must be doing something right to have the most popular game on the planet.  To accomplish that would require more of them then just being greedy, arrogant jerks.  They have pursued what the majority of their players enjoy in the game and have continued to provide for them.  It may not be what I would have liked to see in the game, but I am not like the majority of the gamers that still play WoW.

I am seriously amazed at how  many people on this website bash on everything, whether it be a person or a company, because they dont agree.

Originally posted by ChrisMattern

You know, I think I've sat through this movie once before already. Crew from Blizzard North, senior development staff on Diablo and Diablo II, making a Diablo-killer after leaving Blizzard. Let's see, I believe it was called...Hellgate: London?

And there was nothing wrong with Hellgate london. In fact, had they not insisted on making the stupid thing a pseudo-MMO, it would probably still be going strong. The game itself was fun and the setting was interesting, their marketing model just sucked unholy balls and ruined it. 

"How are they greedy or arrogant jerks?

WoW hasn't come become shite, on the contrary. It has only become better since release."

If you actually believe that, you're beyond explanation, because your idea of "better" varies so much as to be completely alien. 

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Originally posted by sadeisinsane

I don't understand how you can make the above statement.  Blizzard, regardless of who does or does not work for them at this point do spend a great deal of effort in providing games that are very well polished.  They provide new content for their games from time to time, some being in expansions, and some with just patch updates.  They provide Blizzcon which allows you as a gamer to go see what's going on, try out new stuff, and they give a ton of free stuff away while your there as well. They support games like Diablo 2, and Starcraft that have been around for years, yet they still maintain active servers for the fans that still play.  Even though you do have to pay for some stuff, like subscription fees to WoW (if you play), and tickets to Blizzcon (if you want to go), that's not anything different then what you would do if you played another game that required a monthly fee, or went to a different gaming convention.

Allthough I no longer to care for playing WoW, it doesn't mean that  Blizzard sucks, it just means I don't like playing WoW anymore because it just doesn't hold my interests anymore, I have moved on.  Its still a high quality, well polished game with very few problems, and Blizzard must be doing something right to have the most popular game on the planet.  To accomplish that would require more of them then just being greedy, arrogant jerks.  They have pursued what the majority of their players enjoy in the game and have continued to provide for them.  It may not be what I would have liked to see in the game, but I am not like the majority of the gamers that still play WoW.

I am seriously amazed at how  many people on this website bash on everything, whether it be a person or a company, because they dont agree.

Monetizing Diablo 3, the Star Craft "expansion" fiasco, WoWs many micro transactions, need we go on. Blizzard continues to spend two decades to get a game out and thus it comes out polished, but a polished turd is still a turd. They refuse to come up with anything original rather relying on "polishing" work ripped off from others. You could go on for days about their actions in WoW alone. Throwing out some freebies for ancient games that they've long recouped the cost for at a con, and releasing a handful of content patches for a game that makes them millions a month, hardly makes them creative and generous benefactors. The writing is on the wall, stop looking at your feet. 

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Blizzard turns out better stuff than most other companies out there.  I would buy a game just because it says blizzard and it will mostlikely be fun and well made.  Many other companies try to sell you one some new idea wrapped up in a crappy game.  If Blizzard wants to take that idea and make it playable good for them.

• sadeisinsanesadeisinsane Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Kordesh

Monetizing Diablo 3, the Star Craft "expansion" fiasco, WoWs many micro transactions, need we go on. Blizzard continues to spend two decades to get a game out and thus it comes out polished, but a polished turd is still a turd. They refuse to come up with anything original rather relying on "polishing" work ripped off from others. You could go on for days about their actions in WoW alone. Throwing out some freebies for ancient games that they've long recouped the cost for at a con, and releasing a handful of content patches for a game that makes them millions a month, hardly makes them creative and generous benefactors. The writing is on the wall, stop looking at your feet. 

Monetizing Diablo 3?  Would you care to explain that?  Are you referring to they plan on making the game with the intention of a profit? Of course they do its called  business, why would they just make well polished games to not make any money, that makes no sense.  You have a choice to play or not, contribute or not.

WoW's many micro transactions??  hmm.. you must be talking about realm transfers, race/gender changes..etc.  Why wouldn't they charge a small fee to have your character moved to another server because you don't want to roll another character.  You want to change the race or gender, it makes sense they would charge that too for the time involved to make the changes.  You should feel lucky they even offer those services, as most games dont.  If you don't use those services then don't complain about them.

Ripping other companies work off?  I do remember that they said they were going to incorporate a lot of stuff from other MMO's that they felt was what the people enjoyed, basically taking the best of what was available at the time and combining it into a game that the majority was looking for anyways.  All companies apply features that some other game has created at one point, because it is a good feature. So no MMO should have auction houses, different races/classes or other features that a game had before it, because its an idea that was ripped off from someone else.

Maybe I am misundestanding your comments, but it sounds like Blizzard should be blamed for being a successful company that makes money?!

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Gameloading

How are they greedy or arrogant jerks?

WoW hasn't come become shite, on the contrary. It has only become better since release.

Well this is only your opinion there.. For me this is quite the contrary, WOW continue to decline and loose more and more of my respect in each expension they release.

Anyway Torchlight is a good game and it is worth the try.