Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

In less than two weeks is Torchlight released. It's some kind of diablo game.

The good:

• low price of 20$
  • level editor available
  • interesting classes
  • nice graphics (if you like the style)
  • random level generator

The bad:

• single player only (they said sometime in the future they'll release an MMO-version, according to rumors in 2011)
  • just 10 to 20 hours required to finish the main story line

I'm personally not sure about it. I love playing Diablo-type games in multiplayer, and the soon to be released Torchlight has no multiplayer whatsoever. On the other hand 20$ ain't much, and I like the style of the graphics and the classes.

Here's a link to a youtube video about the game:

www.youtube.com/watch

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Also features pets, fishing and such stuff.

• NosferazielNosferaziel Member Posts: 64

Even if they decide to make an MMO version of the game later, Diablo 3 is around the corner and I don't think any Diablo-like will be able to resist that.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I wont be trying the demo, Im just not into single player games.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I'll try demo then decide, for such a short game I wouldn't really want to pay much we will see when demo is out.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

A single player arpg :(

I guess for $20 if your bored but you could also get sacred 2 for $20 in someplaces which has multiplayer

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• Originally posted by Nosferaziel

Even if they decide to make an MMO version of the game later, Diablo 3 is around the corner and I don't think any Diablo-like will be able to resist that.

are you serious? do not expect to see D3 for at least another 3 years. Blizzard is horrible when it comes to releasing its games. they like to hold off until they are sure they can try and squash any competetition. i cant imagine blizz ever releasing 2 games in the same year. SC2 will come out soon and so will the cataclysm xpac for wow. i would seriously crap my pants if we seen SC2 next year and the cataclysm xpac.

blizz is like obama...they both have that how dare you oppose me attitude!

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I don't understand why they want random dungeons if it's just going to be a singleplayer game.

It's not like i'm going to go through it again without multiplayer.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Gameloading

I don't understand why they want random dungeons if it's just going to be a singleplayer game.

It's not like i'm going to go through it again without multiplayer.

This, i'll wait till they add multiplayer.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Hm, I guess I'll change my vote to "I'll buy it". 14.39€ is less than some MMORPGs charge monthly. Seems to be the right game during server maintenances or whatever. :)

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by maji

Hm, I guess I'll change my vote to "I'll buy it". 14.39€ is less than some MMORPGs charge monthly. Seems to be the right game during server maintenances or whatever. :)

I can just play Titan Quest :P till then,

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

if it $20 bucks and it gives you 20 hours of gameplay thats actually a steal. Most pay $60 for xbox/ps3 titles that are only half of that.

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Originally posted by maji

I can just play Titan Quest :P till then,

Titan Quest is a great game but I've played it to death over the years. :P

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Already pre-purchased on Steam where it is 10% before release.

Yes, it is the type of game you play off and on, but I don't doubt I will get my money out of it. The devs have lots of experience from very good ARPGs including Diablo and Fate.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Isn't it possible for player mods? and even player maps?

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Isn't it possible for player mods? and even player maps?

Yes, they're including the mod tools with the purchase of the game.  I think that alone makes this a must buy for me.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

A boat load of new Torchlight videos. I must say that game looks and sounds outstanding. Can't wait for my copy!

Torchlight: www.runicgamesfansite.com/2009/10/the-big-torchlight-review-thread/#more-1244

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I just finished playing to the first waypoint and I must say that this game is the closest to DI and DII I've played. I like the fact that you can send yur  pet can take unwanted inventory back to town to sell it, thus not having to portal all the time when inventory is full. It's also a very polished game (so far), not one problem as far as bugs go. It really is a very simple game where all your really looking for is better loot. Plus the play style is very customizable. They also have a hardcore mode.

What Runic Games did was focus on one aspect of a game and make it very well. I guess they are going to add to the game slowly. That's exactly the opposite of Hellgate:London where they tried to work on way too many things at once and not of them worked properly.

This is a high quality  short single player Action RPG so far. Although I haven't played long enough to give a totally well-informed assessment..

edit: BTW you can download a free demo on Steam right now.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The best $17.99 I ever spent on a game and it a ton of fun. Once You finished the storyline you unlock the endless dungeon. The level cap is 100. So far my Alchemist is level 20 and it has been alot of fun to play. The game also has a ton of replayability as well. Three character classes to choose from as well as being able to make multiple builds for each class.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I tried the demo from steam and like it alot, seems to be worth the $20 bucks for sure.

With multiplayer would be real good. Hopefully they will add it soon. Could be alot of fun with some 4 player co-op going.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

Game is a ton of fun.  Nice playing a game once in awhile that doesn't have some grandeos epic emo story.  Just go in dungeon, kill stuff, get loot. 

Love it.

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

Originally posted by jdnewell

I tried the demo from steam and like it alot, seems to be worth the $20 bucks for sure.
    With multiplayer would be real good. Hopefully they will add it soon. Could be alot of fun with some 4 player co-op going.

From what I've heard so far the multi-player is going to be a separate free game with micro-transactions.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Eben

Game is a ton of fun.  Nice playing a game once in awhile that doesn't have some grandeos epic emo story.  Just go in dungeon, kill stuff, get loot. 
    Love it.

Maybe someone can explain to me how the MMO version of this game will be different than Dungeon Runners.  Single player?  Would rather replay Icewind Dales.

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by Eben

Love it.

Maybe someone can explain to me how the MMO version of this game will be different than Dungeon Runners.  Single player?  Would rather replay Icewind Dales.

I wouldn't be too concerned right now about multi-player. It's not scheduled to be released for about 18-24 months.

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

dang..after watching the video, it made me drool...urrghh can't wait to get one