Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age and Bioware

tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

Ok so I am going to rant here and also as for some information. 

My question is why is Dragon Age single player only?  

I am sure the devs had stated reason so please  inform  us. 

Money wise bioware is a large company I bet they could hold the game back for multplayer work. Co op mode at least. 

I think by spending more money to include a co op mode would increase sales  past the additional cost.

Personally I know myself and others would have bought Dragon Age had it been muliplayer.  

The fact that Co Op mode would not  substantially impare the enjoyment of a person playing the game in single player fashion is even more disturbing. 

Often times MMO game companies will make choices that turn potential customers away because it is an either or choice.  I Fail to see how BIoware can not incorperate Co- Op and accomdate single play. 

How many people choose not to buy games like boarderlands because it has co op?  

Sorry I just feel pretty annoyed.   Maybe a reasonable responce will quell my fustrations. 

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Dragon Age is TOR without Jedi's. Get it, play it. THen you will have a basic idea of what to expect from TOR. I read that the combat system and quests will be similar. But thats just a rumor.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by tbox

Money wise bioware is a large company I bet they could hold the game back for multplayer work. Co op mode at least. 
    I think by spending more money to include a co op mode would increase sales  past the additional cost.

Personally I know myself and others would have bought Dragon Age had it been muliplayer.  
    The fact that Co Op mode would not nessarily substinally impare the enjoyment of a person playing the game in single player fashion is even more disturbing. 
    Often times MMO game companies will make choices that turn potential customers away because it is an either or choice.  I Fail to see how BIoware can not incorperate Co- Op and accomdate single play. 

Sorry I just feel pretty annoyed.   Maybe a reasonable responce will quell my fustrations. 

If I recall correctly the reasoning behind Dragon Age: Origins being a Single-Player RPG was due to the fact that they wanted to release a full fledge Single-Player experience and not bother with tacked on Multiplayer/Co-Op experience.

They also said it was a new IP and they wanted to make it right the first and that future Dragon Age games will probably feature a Multiplayer/Co-Op functionality.

To be honest I don't mind that they scrubbed Co-Op since a game with a Pause system would make it quite annoying when playing with others. Specially in the realm of choosing what path you want to take in conversations with people. I had this problem with NWN1 & 2, whenever I talked to someone the game would pause for everyone else and no one could do anything until I finished the conversation, not only that but the path you chose on the conversation would apply to the entire group.

This is why I'm quite interested in seeing how TOR will implement the conversation system when in a group. Not everyone wants to be the good guy and not everyone wants to be the bad guy.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

Ok but why can't  they have added Co Op mode?    So it is like TOR, and Baulders gate.    Back in the day Cars had very little features but then powered locks came out and mirriors and now a lot of stuff is standard. Why can't we demand these single player RPGS come standard with Co Op mode?  Instead we get  the game is like our past hits if you liked them you will like this game take it or leave it.  I get the Don't fix it if it ain't broken mentality. But why not add something that don't break it.  I think there is a slogan at McDonalds or somthing where you get more for you're dollar. Lets get more from our single player mega studio releases. 

Originally posted by ABRaquel

Originally posted by tbox

The fact that Co Op mode would not nessarily substinally impare the enjoyment of a person playing the game in single player fashion is even more disturbing. 

If I recall correctly the reasoning behind Dragon Age: Origins being a Single-Player RPG was due to the fact that they wanted to release a full fledge Single-Player experience and not bother with tacked on Multiplayer/Co-Op experience.

They also said it was a new IP and they wanted to make it right the first and that future Dragon Age games will probably feature a Multiplayer/Co-Op functionality.

To be honest I don't mind that they scrubbed Co-Op since a game with a Pause system would make it quite annoying when playing with others. Specially in the realm of choosing what path you want to take in conversations with people. I had this problem with NWN1 & 2, whenever I talked to someone the game would pause for everyone else and no one could do anything until I finished the conversation, not only that but the path you chose on the conversation would apply to the entire group.

This is why I'm quite interested in seeing how TOR will implement the conversation system when in a group. Not beveryone wants to be the good guy and not everyone wants to be the bad guy.

IF any studio can tackle adding co-op and doing it correctly I would think Bioware could handle it.  

A good game is a good game regardless of the IP. IP  this IP that feels like such bullshit. 

Asking to have a top notch and largely funded game company to make their games more accessble to different play styles that do not directly infringe on each other like an MMO world is a no brainer to me.  I guess I am a minority but at least i feel better that I have spouted my thoughts thanks for reading!  

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I know a lot of Bioware fanbois as Blizzard has theirs but IMO Bioware is a noob at MMO's and i actually have never found their games to be that good.

Single player takes a lot less effort to make,so if developers can avoid it they will.All the big guns will have a game or two to fill the MMO market,it's just a matter of what games they choose.You also have to realize single player games have around 40-60 hours of gameplay,that won't cut it for a MMO,witch are designed to last for years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

The cred of Bioware  as a MMO's  company is really a different topic.   

Going with your thoughts I will say I would agree at first but taking into consideration of how bad even experanced mmo companies have done I can't judge Bioware in the MMO buisness until they release a MMo.  I mean look at Mythic with Warhammer and Funcom with AOC.   Some times new companies make great MMOs.  Wow, Eq1, Daoc  they all started from nothing or as noobs. 

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Because Bioware thinks its better to make the single player experience as excellent as possible rather than sacrifice single player development time to make a multiplayer mode.

I agree with them, there are many MMOs but top notch single player RPGs are few and far between. The last we've had were Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, before them Oblivion. Not many in the past  few years.

And really, now that I think about it, I can't remember the last excellent single player RPG that also had a great coop or online mode.

NWN and NWN2 were good games but their single player was not on par with the above listed games.

• XenorusXenorus Member Posts: 37

While I am not very likely to play the game itself anytime soon cos its not really on my radar, I think its a good idea when starting out with a new IP to keep it as simple as you possibly can. IP isn't just about a new story or a new idea its a whole new brand image.

Now this is just a crude example with very little thought so please don't bother nit-picking because its just to illustrate a point. When Adventurine made the game "Darkfall" (I expect you have heard of it lol) they entirely overstretched themselves by wanting to add a myriad of features and ideas which they just could not pull off. The end result was poor core gameplay and more important a damaged brand image which will probably not recover. If you heard work had started on "Darkfall 2" im pretty sure almost everyone would be entirely sceptical about the game before they knew a single fact about it, because the original was terrible.

Should Dragon Age suceed as a single player game and become a far reaching sucess, they can then attempt a multiplayer/co-op etc knowing full well that if they don't hit the target sqaure on at release, they can fix it up as people will be happy to accept the potential it can become based on the first game.

www.noobwarfare.com - Marching to war against the morons of the world.

• troydavidtroydavid Member Posts: 150

First of all who gives a poop if you want co-op in a game.  Go make one.

Secondly, Co-op, if added on, directly effects a single player experience via character design, development, leveling system, balance, it would have to be designed as a co-op from the ground up with certain concessions to make it a playable and fun Co-op.  If Bioware set out to make their version of the best possible single player RPG, the end all be all, a throwback to classic RPG's, before the slowly ebbing tide of the mainstreaming of the video game sub-culture erodes the once paramount genres into a few muddled and greyed catagories that are easily digestable by the sport-loving, car-racing, jock wanna-be, books-are-for-nerds masses, than all the power to them, and I for one will be happy to play it.  And I, for one, will enjoy it.  I, for one, do not want the pure single player experience to be lost for people like you.

Thirdly, who gives a poop of you want co-op in this game.  I, for one, do.

Thanks

T

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

OP, here you go:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173529

pretty much the same thing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-has-no-co-op-multiplayer

And for those who don't like links:

Company bosses Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka stated that they do not plan to include co-op or multiplayer in DA.

"This is a single-player game, and we chose to make it so that we really invest you as the character going through the world and make the experience that much more immersive and deep," says Ray to MTV.

"But there is a social space outside the game. We know the world is connected and how important that is, so we've integrated the community and the game together. There's a ton of downloadable content planned, and also the user content generation tool is going to release. So user-generated content, at least on PC - we'll explore whether it's feasible on the console systems - will be shared with other players and fans. There's also servicing of your Achievements and what you've done in the game; that'll be true on all the systems," he added.

It is what it is. They aren't making it single player to insult people or to disregard other people's preferenes and playstyles. They made it single player because that is the type of game they wanted to make.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

One thing I hate hearing as a reasons is Devs coming up with conclusions that are not  true.    No country could send a man to the moon until NASA tried it.  Does that mean up until then it was impossible?   Just because it has not happened often before that is not a reason it will never happen again.    

I find it hard to believe a game which is backed by experienced game designers and large investment can not both make a first class single-player game with a coop mode.   Boarderlands ?   Halo?  Diablo sp?           Why do the indy companies take all the risks and try to evolve the market while big companies just simply rehash old success?