Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You've lost that lovin' feeling, Now it's gone, gone, gone, wooooooh!

greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

I was feeling frisky one day and thought, "hey, I wonder what going on on the old Mannoroth server".  I subbed up and signed in after months of inactivity.  That first sensory barage of the sights and sounds of azeroth gave me that familiar warm feeling we all know well.  Not only is the game designed to entice and soothe but there's the added sentimentality built up from all the fun hours spent with my toons and friends.  I got myself excited enough to roll a pali, the only class I hadn't tried.  I figured it would be fun to try to relive those first insanely fun weeks in wow.  I added my old friends list.  No one was on at the moment but no biggie.  Everything was great until level 10 or so.  I decided to visit the IF auction house and get some greens.  It was when I was doing the round-about in the forge that it hit me.  Something to do with the emptiness of the forge and the lack of my old friends in the game coupled with all the fine memories.  It was a feeling beyond emptiness and loneliness.  It was like going back to your old neighborhood where you used to have fun as a kid but now the playground is deserted and overgrown with weeds.  But for some pathetic reason I'm trying to hit the slide and swingset again to get that old feeling back that is gone forever.  /cry  This was almost a year ago.  Whether wow's population is waning or not or whether I'm subbed or not it's dead for me.  I'm not sure if any future game can do for me what wow once did.

Comments

• swilly07swilly07 Member Posts: 4

I feel the same way.  Right now I'm waiting on some friends to get to 80 and see if that makes me want to play more.  I've grown sick of my main.  I have 2 alts but in PvE if you don't have all epics or the achieve don't even bother to whisper.  In PvP my main was a ton of fun since everyone didn't have the new PvP sets (yet).  Not even worth it now to try and PvP because you will get rocked by someone with a full set.  I'm hoping my friends will re spark my interest because I used to have tons of fun playing. 

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Stopped reading where u wrote that u rolled a pali...

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

I just call my old friends and force them to sign back up.

They usually end up liking it again.

:'P

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

I call b.s.  Today, logged in today for the first time in four months.  Within two hours I sold 11 stacks of bars.  25g for iron bars, 55 gold for mithril bars.  I say WoW's population is just fine.  Look for another server.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by greymann

I was feeling frisky one day and thought, "hey, I wonder what going on on the old Mannoroth server".  I subbed up and signed in after months of inactivity.  That first sensory barage of the sights and sounds of azeroth gave me that familiar warm feeling we all know well.  Not only is the game designed to entice and soothe but there's the added sentimentality built up from all the fun hours spent with my toons and friends.  I got myself excited enough to roll a pali, the only class I hadn't tried.  I figured it would be fun to try to relive those first insanely fun weeks in wow.  I added my old friends list.  No one was on at the moment but no biggie.  Everything was great until level 10 or so.  I decided to visit the IF auction house and get some greens.  It was when I was doing the round-about in the forge that it hit me.  Something to do with the emptiness of the forge and the lack of my old friends in the game coupled with all the fine memories.  It was a feeling beyond emptiness and loneliness.  It was like going back to your old neighborhood where you used to have fun as a kid but now the playground is deserted and overgrown with weeds.  But for some pathetic reason I'm trying to hit the slide and swingset again to get that old feeling back that is gone forever.  /cry  This was almost a year ago.  Whether wow's population is waning or not or whether I'm subbed or not it's dead for me.  I'm not sure if any future game can do for me what wow once did.

It's 'guilt by association'.  You associated WoW with your circle of friends.  Losing touch with those friends still hurts and as such anything you associate with that will hurt as well.  You might still have a ton of fun playing WoW but the pain of losing your friends will mask it. 

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

Nice post Greymann. I'm close to your situation... I left WOW after 18 hardcore months of playing, and it's been about 4 months, and so far I have not had a huge urge to return. Part of me wants to go back to experience that old fun again... with all the problems WOW has/had, no game grabbed me like it did. I think the "sensory explosion" you talked about it what really grabbed me...

I'll never forget running into Ironforge the first time...and crossing the bridge into the main area, and just being stunned, I mean, knocked over by what I saw. It was amazing. As I sat there mouthbreathing at all the wonders, I knew I had found a home. And I did for 15-16 fun months.

And I think for both of us, some of the draw is just to meet up with old friends again, see how they are doing. It's funny how someone you never met can make a big impact in your life by just gaming with them a few hours every night...lol.

I doubt I'll ever get that feeling again.

I doubt I'll ever go back to WOW, although I do think about it from time to time lol.

Here's hoping both of us, and others in our boots, can find it again.

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

First of all, great title.  I lol'd.  Secondly, don't feel bad because pretty much everyone is going through these same feelings.  We all loved WoW at some point or another but the fact is that it's time has past and a large majority of WoW players are sticking in there but their hearts just aren't in it anymore.  They're all looking for something new and whether they jump to the next new shiny thing on the market or they wait for the game that fills their particular voids, the point is that WoW is a sinking ship.  Now before the flames start I don't say it's a sinking ship in that it's the Titanic and everyone is jumping overboard quick and in a hurry.  What I'm saying is that WoW has long past it's prime and has become outdated in a world that has grown beyond it in nearly all areas of technology from graphics to performance, etc.  What wasn't possible to do during it's age is completely possible and open for exploration now and that's what people want.

The good news is that it's only a matter of time.  There are several new projects on the horizon and especially with the indy projects getting so much visibility whether your in love with this genre or looking for something out of the ordinary...you're likely to find what you're looking for soon.

• sadeisinsanesadeisinsane Member Posts: 58

I started playing WoW during the stress test, have played all the expansions and come and gone from WoW several times usually because I was bored.  The last time I quit playing was back in April of this year and don't ever planning on returning just because the game has become stagnant for me, the thrill of playing WoW is gone, and I doubt I will ever think it will come back. 

I think the problem with this is because the fact that it has been basically broken down to a science when it comes to playing.  You no longer can just make a build, get what you may think is decent gear and have fun.  Now it requires you to have certain builds that are proven to produce the highest numbers of whatever you are trying to achieve, whether it be dps, defenise, spell crit, whatever it may be that your aiming for.  Also you have to have a certain quality of gear to be invited into a lot of raids/heroics or guilds even.  Allthough the game is designed to appeal even to the casual gamer, if you want end game content you really have to meet the requirements of your peers to accomplish this making it hard to do.

And last of all the fact that the game has been around for a while and they are not really offerring much new to the game.  I am not talking about expansions, raids or new content, but something entirely new.  The notion that everything you do is no longer a step by step process or a grind.  No matter how many new quests are incorporated they are still basically something that has been done before, maybe just worded a little differently or perhaps in a different land.  When raiding, or doing heroics, its been broken down to a science, person x needs to do steps 123 under these circumstances, person y does this...and the group needs to follow steps abc in order to beat this boss. 

Basically everything has been laid out for you, or at least me.  At that point the game really isn't fun, There really doesn't feel like there is any discovery, whether it is in character development, questing or even pvp.

This is just my opinion, but i think like many others are looking for something new that brings something different and unique to the table, that allows peope to be original (at least for a bit) and do something different then what has already been established in the various MMO games out there.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Shannia

I call b.s.  Today, logged in today for the first time in four months.  Within two hours I sold 11 stacks of bars.  25g for iron bars, 55 gold for mithril bars.  I say WoW's population is just fine.  Look for another server.

Selling stuff within 2 hours does not tell you how good the population is.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757
    Originally posted by Torik

It's 'guilt by association'.  You associated WoW with your circle of friends.  Losing touch with those friends still hurts and as such anything you associate with that will hurt as well.  You might still have a ton of fun playing WoW but the pain of losing your friends will mask it. 

My best friends in the game also happen to be my brother, brother-in-law and his brother, and a few local friends. I haven't lost anyone (lol) cept in the game, that is.  It's an mmo so the social aspects play a big part but that wasn't the only reason I enjoyed wow.  There's no point in going into all the reasons I'm bored and jaded with it.

Originally posted by Shannia

You have somewhat of a point.  Mannoroth took a nose dive in population since its glory days as the greatest pvp server ever.  I'm pretty sure the main reason IF was deserted is because it isn't the only AH anymore like it was when we were in our prime.  Prime being when I could rank 7th on the server in pvp in a given week with a MS war and an arcanite reaper.  Sorry, mediocre bragging is all I have left.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

7th is awesome!  By the way, if it was that busy, I'm sure they got a population hit with the free transfers off the server.  It happened a couple times to my server already.  As busy as you say your server was, I'm sure it got drilled with the transfers as well.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

Originally posted by Mastada

I'll never forget running into Ironforge the first time...and crossing the bridge into the main area, and just being stunned, I mean, knocked over by what I saw. It was amazing. As I sat there mouthbreathing at all the wonders, I knew I had found a home. And I did for 15-16 fun months.

Hell yeah.  My first experience like that was entering stormwind, all of a sudden you aren't in the woods anymore and that epic soundtrack starts up...

• peenkpeenk Member Posts: 270

How long did you play WoW? approximate total time?

WTB Shadowbane 2

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Ibluerate

I just call my old friends and force them to sign back up.
    They usually end up liking it again.
    :'P

my friends did this to me - I feel the same way as the OP - I'm just not motivated to login and play.... everytime I do login, I wander around bored and log off.

When I first came back - I took a few of my end game toons to ToC for about a week - now I have all kind of epics - most of which are better than my 25 man gear.

Blizzard really is trying hard to make it very easy on the casual gamer.

I'm playing borderlands with a couple friends and wow - it's crazy fun ... FPS RPG... if it was an mmo it would be perfect! 

It's pretty close!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

My initiall thought when reading this is that it's not so much the feeling of going back home to an old playground full of weeds but going back home to find that everyone you knew has moved on and all the faces and stories and events that are moving about you have nothing to do with you.

As a similiar story, I attended college for longer than most people attend for one degree because I changed my major several times as well as having to become part time for 2 years so that I could be considered eligible for financial aid.

Well, at the end of about 8 years of college and what I consider 3 separate eras of my college life, I remember looking around the campus and realizing that all that I had started with was gone. I had nothing to do with the place anymore and that life would continue without me.

I think MMO's are a bit of an anomaly for games because most games have an end time.

But mmo's ask of you to log in and play for as long as the game exists. And even though new content is added on some sort of regular basis, the game usually doesn't change so radically as to completely depart from the original game. Oh sure systems might change and new classes added but one can log in and still see that it's still based on the samee game you first joined. Some notable exceptions of course.

But we as people grow. We might not become radically different people but things that entertained us at one point in our lives might not entertain us the next.

Proof of that is that I highly doubt most adults get out their micronauts and wage campaigns of war against the Acroyer. Or that they break out their Barbies and have tea parties or imagined nights out at the club.

Our toys change as we grow up.

And so too will our video games. Depending on when one started playing an mmo, 4 years can be considered quite a time period of change. If one started the game at 15 then one will readily recognize that a 19 year is emotionally a lot different from that 15 year old who started the game.

I would even say that a 26 year old is different from his/her 30 year old countpart. At least it was for me. As we grow older those changes become less and less but I"m sure that my 52 year old self will somewhat different from my now 42 year old self.

However, if one can join these games with fresh eyes it could be possible to continue. Instead of waxing nostalgic perhaps find different groups of people and discover the game play all over again with that new group. They might not be the friends you started with but they will allow you to experience the game world in a different light, maybe even for the better.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by peenk

How long did you play WoW? approximate total time?

Actual played time? Jeez, I don't know.  Does armory give you time played?  Overall I played hard that first year with two chars end game.  Got back in for expansion and did arena till around the time the final season started.   With last xp I basically just capped and quit.

Originally posted by Sovrath

However, if one can join these games with fresh eyes it could be possible to continue. Instead of waxing nostalgic perhaps find different groups of people and discover the game play all over again with that new group. They might not be the friends you started with but they will allow you to experience the game world in a different light, maybe even for the better.

About the only thing that kept me in the latest xp was getting an old friend who moved back to town to join up and start his first char.  It was fun experiencing the game for the first time again through a new player along with helping him get around and get his gear ect.

• peenkpeenk Member Posts: 270

I just disagree with your post and the name (that gone gone stuff).

What you should have said is: after playing WoW for over a year, coming back to expansion, and playing for about a year (from xp start to last season you said) then coming back for another expansion and hitting max lvl, I finally got bored of WoW.

Otherwise you just sound like a troll.  No need for drama.  Playing a game for a year or more will get most people bored.

WTB Shadowbane 2

• YanggyYanggy Member Posts: 11

i put some time into wow my first year then just did the whole learn what your favorite character class is, after i found a couple they introduced the DK which was a hoot only because it was the new thing on the block. So that said Ive taken a break from wow for a few months now to appease my own boredom from that game and its been great. My hair has grown back, face and body wrinkles are going away, solid food consuption is at an all time high, while liquid consumption of energy drinks have decreased.  Also people have begun to notice me again. anyways nothing will last for ever and my  vacation from wow is no exception VIVA el Expansion, cuz when it drops im going back to play WORGAN! 

Players should always remember gaming is very HARD work and Players should step away from activities for a time to rub lips with your wife and kids. But remember keep it short as prolonged attention my encourage longer sessions. 

Players should always remember gaming is very HARD work and Players should step away from activities for a time to rub lips with your wife and kids. But remember keep it short as prolonged attention my encourage longer sessions.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Nothing wrong with way you feel about WoW OP, its not like you or anyone owe your life to this game.  Lets face facts, games get boring and stale, i do not hate any game that gets this way, its all just a matter of time.

I find myself playing less and less, not because i think WoW is bad, but because i've played it for nearly 5 years now, took a few breaks but honestly that only helps for so long.

Nothing wrong with leaving a game to find a new one.  These games aren't are life.  Perhaps one day you will fully enjoy WoW again, if not, you have your memories of the good ol day eh. =]

I'll be reviving my toons life in a few upcoming MMO's, i think it's getting close to hanging up the ol WoW univierse for me.

It was one helluva ride though!

Really do understand where your coming from though, i hopped into Ryzom awhile back after it reopened (was my first mmo =] ), i looked around, took in the views...then it hit me, Its just not the same, it was quiet, lonely, so i logged off and put the cd's back into the box i have protected all this time.  Wish things could have stayed the same. anyways..

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas