Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Go anywhere...do anything...but where is the FUN?

2»

Comments

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Paincake

I've played EvE for quite some time now. At first I apreciated the way the skills system worked, after reaching 1,6 million and going back to 00% bonus. It all started going downhill at this point. Long term games usually appeal to me, I figured I was patient. Well I guess I'm not. You really start to feel how long term the game actually is.
    Despite having gotten fairly succesfull in-game, I just have gotten bored because of the constant waiting. Patience and wait is rewarded. The whole game is a time investment. I will admit, there are many endless possibilities in EvE. But only if you're an elite player with 80 million SP. Otherwise, as a newb, you're going to be restricted by many limitations. The skills system is just another universe with filled doors. Skill books are keys so you can open those doors. This process will consume alot alot of time, and overtime you reduce your restrictions and limitations.
    Just the Trade section of skils alone is very time consuming to invest in. Wich seemed like a very usefull section to me personally as you can influence the Market with it.
    For a period of time, I was addicted and obsessed. But the further you go, the more you realise its going to be a long road ahead of you.
    Still playing atm, but I have the feeling I won't last long anymore.

I don't agree with this, I have only been playing on and off for 3 month's now and can already do a lot of things. Yes there is a lot of waiting, but instead of sitting around in a station go out and do what you can maybe? Like, as of right now I am training for a BC(the Drake) and all the fittings required for it which should be done by next week. Right now I am working on earning the ISK to buy the Drake and equip it so I am ready for when I can use it. I can mine in my Barge, run L2 missions in my caracal, salvage, can flip(haha, fun sometimes), do some limited trading, go into low sec in a frigate to mess around and get experience, etc. There is ALWAYS something to do, as you learn more skills even more options open up slowly. But you never have to actually "wait" or sit around to accomplish something.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I've played EvE for quite some time now. At first I apreciated the way the skills system worked, after reaching 1,6 million and going back to 00% bonus. It all started going downhill at this point. Long term games usually appeal to me, I figured I was patient. Well I guess I'm not. You really start to feel how long term the game actually is.
    Despite having gotten fairly succesfull in-game, I just have gotten bored because of the constant waiting. Patience and wait is rewarded. The whole game is a time investment. I will admit, there are many endless possibilities in EvE. But only if you're an elite player with 80 million SP. Otherwise, as a newb, you're going to be restricted by many limitations. The skills system is just another universe with filled doors. Skill books are keys so you can open those doors. This process will consume alot alot of time, and overtime you reduce your restrictions and limitations.
    Just the Trade section of skils alone is very time consuming to invest in. Wich seemed like a very usefull section to me personally as you can influence the Market with it.
    For a period of time, I was addicted and obsessed. But the further you go, the more you realise its going to be a long road ahead of you.

80 million Sp? I guess it depends on what you want to do. If your goal is to fly a super Cap then yeah your going to wait a while. For me it took about four months of training to  fully use my HAC, that was my only goal at first and I never felt like I was waiting on anything.

Never let the skill train system keep you waiting I dont even notice the damn thing now, Just play.

You said something about the 100% skill bonus or whatever so that means your kinda new to the game. If you find yourself staring at that skill queue, doing nothing but logging in and switching skills then Eve isn't for you.

What are you going to do when skills take months? 

For me while a skill trains I use the ships I can fly and make the most of it, I don't let the time it takes to train drive me nuts. most people in Eve do the same.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I think you're preoccupied watching the skill training timer instead of playing the game.

Currently I have 12 million SP and I've been playing for about 9 months.  I can fly quite a few different ships at this point.. gallente frigates, destroyers, cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, assault ships, interceptors and industrials.  With the exception of the battleship, I can fully t2 fit them all.  Sure there are still plenty of ships I can't fly ( and probably never will ) but I have plenty of options to keep myself amused.

Try looking at it from the perspective of what you can do instead of what you cannot do.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MaligarMaligar Member Posts: 81

With Eve, the whole is without question, greater than the sum of its parts.

My holy shit moment came when I first started playing back in... ummm 2004/2005.  I, with barely 2 million skill points, packed up my lowly little Thorax Cruiser and moved it, everything else I owned and myself out to Fountain Region (0.0 security) because I didn't know any better.  I joined up with a corp that lived out there, the day prior.  On the way out, I got my PvP virgin self popped and podded by some random pirate camping a gate (also in 0.0).  Upon arrival at the HQ in Fountain the next day, the corp i joined gave me a stack of frigates, parts for those frigs (mainly tackling), and an Osprey Cruiser for mining.  Two days later, we were rolling a scouting/attack party.  I was in one of the tackling frigates.  We came across the pirate that gave me my "christening" if you will.  We engaged, I tackled, they wiped him out.  Is was sweet justice and the point in which I said, "Holy Shit!!!"  "This game is awesome".  I have never again "lived" in high security space.

I do a little bit of EVERYTHING in the game.  Mining is boring in excess, missions are boring in excess, running trades are boring in excess, production is boring in excess, just about everything in that game gets boring, in excess.  Thankfully, to the developers credit, you can go long periods without doing the same thing twice.  Simply because of the large amount of activities available.

Yes, there is a slow start up, kind of.  No, you will not be flying the "big ships" any time soon.  You can however provide VITAL roles in gangs/fleets even in the lowend tech 1 frigates and crusisers.  No, you will never, ever have as many skill points as the oldest "active" person on the server.  You can however have the same amount of skill points they do, or more, in a given field, if you choose to specialize there.

Maligar Kelison
    Threat Removal

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

just because others find certain aspects of the game boring doesnt mean you'll find them boring. I've had a few "Holy shit" moments, but tbh i dont really feel like typing them out, you'll either like it or not, why should other people's opinions affect whether or not you like it?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Well as i have been playing EvE almost non stop since it went retail i have many WTF moments so i will only list one of my favourates.

I was part of a low sec Manufacturing Corperation [this was in the days when the population was around 10,000] Now for some time we had 3 good star systems to ower selves happily making a profit extracting a good ammount of Noxium ore in the days when such ore was worth quite a bit in many places. Then one day a Different corp just showed up and started mining all the good ore and leaving the crap. First ower CEO asked them to leave but they didnt so as there mining ops were so predictable we set up a pvp training and salvage op .There members were largly newbies in frigates and haulers led and protected by 2 battlships and a Blackbird cruiser. Even tho they ounumbered us with pvp ships when i and my single wingman in a Blackbird jumped in we won. Mainly we won because one of the battleships ran away. The enermy blackbird tried to jam My scorpion but some earler scanning of there Jamming ship led me to fit to order so he couldnt jam me and my wingman took him out.

That was a fun moment as while the advantage was largly in ower favour there was still a chane of failure due to luck and the possability of some sort of trap.

PvP is one of the main ways of having fun but i also find that completing pve complexes and wormhole location with a team of fellow corperate members who you have known for months is both fun and a great way to pass the time while swapping gossip.

Also [perversly] i enjoy mining as it gives me an opertunity to do some work between minin beam cycles. This of course is something that EvE's critics point out as a bad thing the whole AFK mining feature. But i disagree, while it is true that you can be AFK for short periods in mining ops those breaks do give you an opertunity to chat online and read a book or do some real work.

The manufacturing process of gathering resouces and making an end product to sell never really appealed to me but i have known those who would disagree.

Also some people love trading variouse goods between variouse locations which also has the benafit of being VERY profitable if your instincs are good.

Top tip i can give for this complicated and time-consuming game is find a good player run corperation that first of caters to your needs and is preferably small as small ones build up better frienshps than corperations where you are just one member in the 'mining' Department among a 100.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

Originally posted by severity3

I guess the glaring question I have is ...where is the fun? Many many threads talk about how eve is a sandbox and you can "do anything".  Most of those threads then go on to talk about how boring missions are, how boring mining is, how boring high sec space is, and how realistically, you are looking at at least a few weeks to pvp.

you are starting with possition the the people complaining that it is boring are the right ones. The fact of the matter is there is lot of people out there that enjoy missions/mining etc. They just tend to get ragged on as carebears. That doesn't mean they arn't having fun.

Put more simply, the PvE parts of the game, when played solo, are eventually boring. If you get into the vibe of working with other people towards a goal. Enjoy their company while getting there, then you have your fun.

So knocking a few beers back, mining with some friends, shoot the shit on teamspeek is some peoples ideas of a good time. The question is, is it your idea of fun?

The next thing i would say is, for the people that stay in EVE, they don't do the same thing, the whole time. They change what they do, as different opportunities arise, and their focus sift, or goals are accomplished.

To give you an example, my fist "OMG! what cool game" was when I opened the market and fiddled with the statistics tabs. there was more information there than i knew what to do with. i though "there are people exploiting this information, how cool is that!" i didn't have the time or the interest to get into it when i started but 2 years later i did focus on the market for a while. On hearing a game changing rumor by CCP, knowing which commodity was going to have a run on it, gambling a few bil and getting a mind blowing return was a great deal of fun.

• M_VexM_Vex Member Posts: 67

What I like about it is that EVE is an ever changing system.  What worked a couple months ago might not work today.

Its all about figuring out how to make the system work for you, which is difficult because you're not just playing with a static system, it always has human inputs which make it hard to predict.

I'm the type that likes to look at a fat wallet, ever since I started playing EVE, all of my other MMO experiences have had a large financial/trading component.

EVE is about making connections that last beyond the lifespan of any corporation that you are in.  I've got friends all over the universe that my various toons have made.

You are not bound by overprotective GM's, scamming is perfectly legal as long as it is not done through an exploit or over the forums (like with Game Time Card codes or Character Transfers).

CCP is a visionary company that is immensely innovative.  The expansions are free, there are extensive server side mechanics involved in crushing Real Money Trading, you can pay through playing, balance is painstakingly done and they're going to shake things up with the release of Dust 514 (the console tie in to the EVE universe).

You just have to give it some time, make some friends and get a couple kills/thrills.

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

I kind of agree with the OP. I think EVE has the best options and world of any MMO, except maybe DAoC, but the gameplay is just very boring. If someone put in good gameplay into EvE it would be the best MMO instantly. The graphics are very nice also.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by RendRegen

I kind of agree with the OP. I think EVE has the best options and world of any MMO, except maybe DAoC, but the gameplay is just very boring. If someone put in good gameplay into EvE it would be the best MMO instantly. The graphics are very nice also.

If someone put good flavor into vanilla ice cream it would be the best ice cream instantly.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

What is Fun is EVE is a difficult question to answer. What YOU may find fun in EVE is a bit easier. I have guys in my alliance that does nothing but mine... They have high stress jobs and just like to sit back chill with some friends and watch the lasers destroy asteroids(I think their ******* Nuts....). Thats the problem EVE has many options and what you enjoy is entirely up to what you like to do. Enjoy PVP there are plenty of people who will do then... Like to build stuff you can do that... Just want to fly in and pop NPCs you can do that...

I know it sounds like a dodge but I gaurntee that you'd be hard pressed to get a single answer from this. Best suggestion as someone else said try different things out.