Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok so let's say......

Doing some browsing and research regarding the next MMORPG I'd like to play (Aion was a big deception for me unfortunately) and decided to give a good look to SWTOR: spent the last hour looking at videos, forums, articles, etc etc etc... Game looks very promising, but there's a problem...

I've been playing MMOs left and right for the past 10 years or so, but actually NEVER touched a Star Wars game... Watched the first movies though like everyone else (Episode 4-5-6) maybe 2-3 times in my life each but that's it: never read books or even touched anything else regarding Star Wars. So my knowledge of the entire world / lore related to it is very limited...

So let's say I decide to jump in this game when it comes out, you see any problems I could have with the lore and such? Or even the game itself since I don't know much about the Star Wars universe? Think I would be able to keep up, or this game is definitely set up for people that are ''vets'' of the whole Star Wars thing?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say, kinda hard for me to describe lol :P

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

The game is not set in the time period covered by the movies - which is one reason I have little interest in it.

"Jedi galore' does not appeal to me.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter
    The game is not set in the time period covered by the movies - which is one reason I have little interest in it.
    "Jedi galore' does not appeal to me.

What Mr. Grumpy Pants there is trying to say is that because the game is set in a differing time frame it should be very new player/non SW geek friendly.

Jedi kill Sith.
    Sith kill Jedi.

There you go...you're caught up.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

The games story is designed for people like you, thats why they set it 300 years after kotor and thousands years before the movies.  Plus you can watch those timeline videos for backstory.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I doubt you'll have a hard time with it. I suggest going to wookiepedia.org and looking up knights of the old republic and knights of the old republic: the sith lords

This game will reference them occasionally but the game takes place about 3000 years before the rise of Darth Vader so you won't see reference to anything from the movies or from 99% of the expanded universe.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by vega151

Doing some browsing and research regarding the next MMORPG I'd like to play (Aion was a big deception for me unfortunately) and decided to give a good look to SWTOR: spent the last hour looking at videos, forums, articles, etc etc etc... Game looks very promising, but there's a problem...

I've been playing MMOs left and right for the past 10 years or so, but actually NEVER touched a Star Wars game... Watched the first movies though like everyone else (Episode 4-5-6) maybe 2-3 times in my life each but that's it: never read books or even touched anything else regarding Star Wars. So my knowledge of the entire world / lore related to it is very limited...

So let's say I decide to jump in this game when it comes out, you see any problems I could have with the lore and such? Or even the game itself since I don't know much about the Star Wars universe? Think I would be able to keep up, or this game is definitely set up for people that are ''vets'' of the whole Star Wars thing?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say, kinda hard for me to describe lol :P

Hehe, thats interesting, because I au contraire have breathed in every little inch of Star Wars. Its just a sidenote, but what was the reason you ignored SW? The KOTOR games are good and some of the books also. Its sorta rare I guess. ^^

Either way, I can not think it is a problem. Sure you will be able to have much more knowldge of background if you know it, but most planets and places will not be from the movies but from books and other rarer used sources. Most planets won't have occured in the movies anyway, so the majority of people will likely not know SO much more than you.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert