Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resubbed. Duo question?

Me and my wife will mostly be playing as a duo. We rolled as Human Qualia (spelling?), and I took bard and her a disciple. Is this a good duo to experience most of the game with? I noticed that neither of us could pull, of course we aren't even level 5 yet. We were originally going to roll Thestrian (spelling?), warrior and cleric. Would that have been better?

You may have seen us on last night on Seredon (again, spelling?). I was asking in region chat how to change the red quest pointer in the compass lol. Does anyone know of a good site for spell/skill list and some guides?

Thanks!

Comments

• DuckWizardDuckWizard Member UncommonPosts: 9

Disciples can pull with shurikens, if this is your only concern.

By the way, Monk and Disciple make a great duo and lots of fun. I don't know the Bard well.

Greetings

Duck aka Mikoyo on Halgar

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

I like to point people to Slyde Rule's web site of Vanguard links:

http://slyderule.net/Vanguard.aspx

It has all of the links you will need.  The Ten Ton Hammer site is probably the best for Skills / Abilities

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by morpin

I like to point people to Slyde Rule's web site of Vanguard links:
    http://slyderule.net/Vanguard.aspx
    It has all of the links you will need.  The Ten Ton Hammer site is probably the best for Skills / Abilities

For some reason when I click on the Vanguard Guides section at Ten Ton Hammer, IE locks up and crashes. I assumed it was just dead, guess I'll try Firefox. (I hate Firefox...Iknow, Iknow, just call me weird)

• warppwarpp Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Delusive

Me and my wife will mostly be playing as a duo. We rolled as Human Qualia (spelling?), and I took bard and her a disciple. Is this a good duo to experience most of the game with? I noticed that neither of us could pull, of course we aren't even level 5 yet. We were originally going to roll Thestrian (spelling?), warrior and cleric. Would that have been better?

You may have seen us on last night on Seredon (again, spelling?). I was asking in region chat how to change the red quest pointer in the compass lol. Does anyone know of a good site for spell/skill list and some guides?

Thanks!

Yes every class can solo and make a good duo,personally i would ditch the bard and replace with a Dread Knight,if not you could both reroll.

Dread Knight+ Tuurgin Shammy(Bear Shammy) insane buffs for the Dread Knight.

Jah Rasta For I.
    The Wicked Shall Fall..

http://www.ethnic2020.com/images/Ebay/black-jesus.jpg

Originally posted by warpp

Thanks!

Yes every class can solo and make a good duo,personally i would ditch the bard and replace with a Dread Knight,if not you could both reroll.

Dread Knight+ Tuurgin Shammy(Bear Shammy) insane buffs for the Dread Knight.

My wife doesn't like healer classes, and the only reason she considered disciple was for the martial arts and the fact that  I wanted to try bard again, as that was what I tried back when we had the free game time.

Other than that, she would really only like a caster class. But since we want duo as much of the game as possible, she is willing to play a tank type, and she only liked the warrior (the only other game she liked melee in was AoC and that was because she had heals also for the duo, although she didn't use them much, probably why she didn't mind). She didn't like the sound of paladin or dread knight. I would then take the role of healer. I don't mind healer (as long as they aren't robe wearers). I will also be playing a healer role in EQ2 (station pass).

She doesn't like healer mostly because if we team up she gets really edgy and stops having fun. I like the task of healing or tanking. I feel like it is more work, especially healing. Other classes just feel like button mashing without skill needed (not trying to slam people who enjoy this, it just isn't for me).

Okay, looking throught the links provided, I see that I can equip a bow for pulling. So that problem is solved.

Has anyone ran this duo before? Will we be able to handle the games content using these two classes?

Also, would a warrior healer combo be far superior?

Thanks for the responses.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

I always think a bread and butter healer / tank combo is always the best duo.  What's left out of the equation is the DPS.   But if you can pick a healer and tank with decent DPS, then you solve that problem.

I think the best Tank with DPS is the Dread Knight.

I am not sure of what the best healer with DPS is. 

Its definately not a Cleric. 

Blood Mage maybe, but that is a tricky class to start with. 

The shamna bear is already a tank class, and the shaman wolf does not have quite the DPS of a bird shaman. So if you decide to try shaman try the bird first.

Since you have already rolled a Disciple I would probably stick with that and give it a try.  I personally like to have some distance between my healer and tank, and with a disciple your melee and mixing it up right next to the tank.  

I could be wrong but I think the disciple is the weakest of the healers for healing.

Okay, now with the nice guides from Ten Ton Hammer working on Firfox (still dont like it lol), my wife was able to read the real deal about tanks, and is liking the sound of dread knight. And the shaman suggestions sound good too. She is actually thinking of playing the healer on that now too. So I don't mind being a shaman or dread knight. So I believe we are going to re-roll.

Now one of you suggested bear, and one phoenix. I haven't had a wolf suggestion yet, and I assume from what I read they fall somehwere inbetween.

I guess my question is, how damaging is a dread knight? If not too damging, it would seem the phoenix would be the path to take. If dread knights have good damage, I would assume they lack in some tanking, and that the bear is good to take. And if the dread knight is balanced, then it sounds like the wolf would be the choice to make. Decisions, decisions.

Any more thoughts on which shaman to pair with a dread knight, and why?

And just as a side thought, has a shaman duo ever been done successfully? We use to Hunter duo in WoW, and it worked fine if there was only 3 mobs or less pulled at a time.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Disciple + Bard is actually a fairly strong duo combination. The fact that disciple is capable of soloing even two 4 dotters at the same time, makes him a perfect class in any combination. He can heal for a long time without spending any mana, and have a lot of survivability (it's the only class with feign death + ressurection) There might be some better options instead of bard to go with a disciple, nevertheless its still a solid combination. (As others pointed out, DK+disciple could be the best duo to do all the group content just in two people)

REALITY CHECK

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97

My favorite duo so far has been the cleric/psionist.

Cleric can heal and tank and the psionist can do crowd control and dots.

This duo lacks quick damage but we can out last most thing we fight.. At higher levels both classes get lull - so between two people you can lull 2 things, charm 1 and mez 1 --- basically a mob group of 5 is still manageable.

This might not be the most exciting combo to play but I've been through a lot of things that 2 people normally shouldn't have been through.

Good luck finding the best combo for you.

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by objeff

My favorite duo so far has been the cleric/psionist.
    Cleric can heal and tank and the psionist can do crowd control and dots.
    This duo lacks quick damage but we can out last most thing we fight.. At higher levels both classes get lull - so between two people you can lull 2 things, charm 1 and mez 1 --- basically a mob group of 5 is still manageable.
    This might not be the most exciting combo to play but I've been through a lot of things that 2 people normally shouldn't have been through.
    Good luck finding the best combo for you.

It might not be the most obvious combo but i can see how it would work well.

Actually i think it's quite a clever combo choice,one i might test out myself while two boxing.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Anything with a Disciple, pretty much equal's success. Monk/Disciple is still the best duo in my opinion. I was able to duo well with my Druid and a friend's Bear Shaman, which i quite liked alot.

• VespersVespers Member Posts: 246

Bard and Disciple duo will work very well together.
    Disciple will be able to tank most mobs and bard can add buffs and do CC.
    Bards buffs will make the disciple a DPS machine.
    When the shit hits the fan then the bard throws up bard speed and both of you get out safe.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

We Duo'ed Deciple and Blood Mage... we finished the Mansion Duo... The Dragons helped tho :p (We were both DE)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by morpin

I always think a bread and butter healer / tank combo is always the best duo.  What's left out of the equation is the DPS.   But if you can pick a healer and tank with decent DPS, then you solve that problem.
    I think the best Tank with DPS is the Dread Knight.
    I am not sure of what the best healer with DPS is. 
    Its definately not a Cleric. 
    Blood Mage maybe, but that is a tricky class to start with. 
    The shamna bear is already a tank class, and the shaman wolf does not have quite the DPS of a bird shaman. So if you decide to try shaman try the bird first.
    Since you have already rolled a Disciple I would probably stick with that and give it a try.  I personally like to have some distance between my healer and tank, and with a disciple your melee and mixing it up right next to the tank.  
    I could be wrong but I think the disciple is the weakest of the healers for healing.

Yes the disciple is the weakest,but he is also the best melee healer. He is still a healer and will have no problem keeping a group alive or a duo.

For me it has to be the Dread Knight and Tuurgin Shammy(bear) especially if you can get some invis pots for the shammy..ie undead invis. The amount of times i have ran deep into a dungeon with my shammy on invis,then i just call my Dread Knight which also has a one min invis as well.

We rolled  Dread Knight and Shaman wolves. I like so far, but I'm not sure my wife likes playing a tank. She prefers a caster, but we were afraid to try a duo with a caster. She said she wouldn't mind the Shaman herself, if it wasn't for the possibility of grouping when we are higher levels (she hates healing in a group). I like playing the Shaman alright, I'm used to being an upfront fighter though, so I am adjusting. I probably will feel more at home when I get my pet, as I am somewhat use to a Hunter from WoW.

We are level 9 right now. We were trying to complete a cave quest to kill a Bloodletter (i think), but we have died every time. He has two gaurds with him. I root both gaurds and she pulls the main. The two gaurds break root before we drop him, it is a bit frustrating. We thought about leveling to 10, then trying again. She will have Shadow Step by then, and can get that extra damage. Plus she didn't realize that two of her skills were not working because you have to watch them to light up for use, after a crit or a block. So she has been missing out on much needed damage. Plus I run out of mana between healing and fighting.

At fifteen I was gonna choose the Wolf form. I was going for a story type deal where my character can revert back to his primal nature when required. But seing how tanking is going so far, I may choose the bear.

She also hasn't used fear yet in a fight, because we were afraid that the enemy would run off and pull aggro of mobs back with it.

We also debated on rolling a Warrior and Cleric. She isn't big on healing, but she is feeling the need to do so. Now that she has experienced a tank, she thinks she would dislike it in group play also. We thought Warrior and Cleric just because it sounds like the most survivable team. Strong tank and strong healer. Of course, it seems that it might take forever to kill something from what I have heard. But if it means survival.

I don't know. But I do love the game. It is the first time in a while that I look forward to logging in. Played Aion all day Saturday, and some Sunday morning. We are level 13's and already feeling a bit bored, same mobs over and over. We logged in Sunday afternoon to Vanguard, played from 5 to 9, and I loved it.

The world just looks amazing. Took several screenshots!!! I like the animations also. The way the shaman swings that two handed hammer, you just see the weight of it in the swing. Wish the swimming looked better though. Looking forward to a mount soon, even though Spirit of Rakkur is nice, I like the idea of a horse.

Just started Diplomacy, I like it, the wife hates it. Haven't started crafting yet, never saw a quest for it. We didn't start at the Isle of Dawn, we chose the home land. Look forward to that too. Don't know what to do though. Our pairing lets her wear heavy and me medium armor, so one of us probably can't craft for both. I also later want a house and ship, so I need to research crafting a bit.

That's it for now.

• ZsariZsari Member Posts: 71

If you already have a DK to tank, you don't need to pick bear, otherwise you'll have a terribly long time in killing anything higher up.  Wolf or bird would be better choice as they have better dps, and wolf can sneak, which is invaluable since healer can summon. 

Overall your duo is pretty low on dps.  War would be the highest dps tank, good for duo with a healer, terrible for soloing.  Both disc & bloodmage has far higher dps than shaman or cleric, but bm goes down too fast when you got adds.  Also druid can heal decently well to keep up a tank in most encounter at higher level, if you want to play a caster, though I don't know if her healing is adequate at lower level.  A drunken style monk can tank most mobs without any problem with a healer.  Just two other possibilities that offers alot more dps.  Finally, you should take into consideration the utilities such as cc, invis, fd etc, as they are very important and will allow you to do group dungeons with just a duo.

We have tried another combo. She didn't really enjoy being a tank, so she decided to be the healer. She thinks it the lesser of the two evils.

She wanted survivability though, since she isn't comfortable healing, so I told her cleric was probably best for that. She gets heavy armor, is an up close fighter, that also has spells and are powerful against undead.

We were rolling Thestrans, so we chose Humans this time because I didn't like the looks of the male elves.

So that left me a choice between warrior and paladin. She read the description to both, and told me to decide. I told her I prefer a two hander the most or shield second. Since, from what we understand, warriors get bonuses for dual wield, paladins the shield, and dread knight the two hander, she suggested the the paladin. This also gave me some of my own heals, some magic, and powerful against undead.

So we kind of mirror each other and she liked that. We started on the Isle of Dawn this time. We heard you get some nice early armor, and get a better grasp of what the game is like, and that crafting is good to learn there.

So far though, everything has been suprisingly easy compared to the stuff we faced as the dread knight + shaman duo. Maybe because this area is catered to the new player, but the real world had us dying several times, but maybe it was because three of our quests were group quests, and we haven't had any of those on the Isle yet.

TL:DR - So is the Paladin and Cleric a decent duo? I gather it may take as a while to kill stuff, but we should be very tough to kill I hope? Is the Isle of Dawn easier than the rest of the world?

• NullailNullail Member UncommonPosts: 68
    TL:DR - So is the Paladin and Cleric a decent duo? I gather it may take as a while to kill stuff, but we should be very tough to kill I hope? Is the Isle of Dawn easier than the rest of the world?

This might have changed but Pala + Cleric i think its too much healing. I leveled up my ranger with a nice guy i meet to lvl 4x. He was a Blood Mage and we had 0 problems with quest and such. I also have a Paladin 43 or so and had no real problem leveling it, in case you like the Sword + Shield all the time. You dont need exactly a tank + healer classes although some healing is needed. Blood Mage + Bard / War /  Ranger,  Shaman (healer) + Sorc / Nec / Druid...almost everything would be cool if you like the class u are playing.

I quit 2-3 months ago so i might forget many things / classes have changed (as i said before) so maybe what i said isnt usefull. But i recommend you Isle of Dawn for sure. There you can lvl up to 10 in the three spheres (Adventuring, Diplomacy and Crafting) with Quests that explain you how to start with Diplo and Craft . You also get a set that really kickass for those lvls.

Edit: Took me like 10+ mins to write this cause im quite busy . Sorry if the text its not coherent ;>

Hunter Nullail Destruction - 85 Ranger. Bristlebane (Solusek Ro) - EQ
    Knight-Captain Nullail - 60 Hunter. C'Thun - Pre TBC - WoW
    Nullail - 80 BE Hunter.Kor'Gall - WoW
    Hunter Nullail - 55 Ranger. Telon - VG
    Nullail Destruction - Archer/Bard - Cerberus. FFXIV

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Yes a paladin/cleric is an excellent combo for duoing.  I had a couple friends that did that duo up into the 4x range.  They even managed various group content with little help.  Although like you said it can be slow but that combo leaves you as the core of a group so adding people for dps is pretty easy to do.  Just when you are doing group content put your flag on or ask for extra people it will be a lot faster and if nobody wants to join you are still going to be very viable.

---
    Ethion

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Me and my wife duo'ed as a Disc/Sorc and are now in our level 40's ...we haven't grouped with others for any content.

We duo'ed

Hunters League

CiS including Kronos

Wardship including weapon quest

Darguns Tomb

Now that we are level 44 and close to starting our swamp armor faction grind we realize we have to group more now. But so far it's been a breeze.

Bard+Disc = Strong combo

Disciples can tank pretty well specially with our strong debuff and constant melee heals. I say tanking loosely because we have no rescues to keep other people from being hit and such but we can take on pretty hard mobs. We don't have the mitigation of a plate tank but we do have martial swords with high parry chance on them which helps a ton (arena sword gives 21% to parry). Another more popular way to go is handwraps for faster proc heals.  If a sorc+disc combo works well then a bard+disc will work even better. You have 2 CC spells on the bard and 1 on the disc that's 3 mobs you can keep occupied while tanking a 4th, you have lull to pull a single mob out of a group, invisibility,run speed,incredible melee dmg boost songs, 15% mitigation debuff ..the list goes on.

DK + Disc is a decent combo too but what you gain in security and mitigation you will lack in the the dps of the two combos above. DK's have decent dps but no match for what a  bard and his songs brings to the table or a sorc for that matter. If you fear you won't be able to keep agro off the sorc fret not. As long as the sorc waits until the mob has lost 25% life (4dot mobs) you can spam those spells to your hearts content (we did). A discs heals causes agro enough in itself to keep the mob on you.

A disc works well with any class to be honest. You can easily function as a tank even if that's a no no word amongs the purists out there. It's only in your mid 40's you will start to rely on meat shields. Keep your endowments/short timed buffs up and your debuffs on the mobs and you will sleepwalk through most of the low/midend content

• ZsariZsari Member Posts: 71

Not meant to discourage you, but the two classes you've picked have the lowest possible dps in game.  Just be warned that after lvl 50, you'll be hacking away at two dot mobs in SS for probably a full minute to kill one where a sorc can do in a single cast.  But nothing beats the survivability of the two.  Upside is recuite any dps classes into the group and you can take on about anything.

Originally posted by Zsari

Not meant to discourage you, but the two classes you've picked have the lowest possible dps in game.  Just be warned that after lvl 50, you'll be hacking away at two dot mobs in SS for probably a full minute to kill one where a sorc can do in a single cast.  But nothing beats the survivability of the two.  Upside is recuite any dps classes into the group and you can take on about anything.

Yeh, we wanted survivability at early levels. We plan to group once we are higher up. Should be easy enough to form groups with this duo I hope. Just got off the Isle of Dawn at level 10. Didn't do any crafting or diplomacy. We were going to, but it burns my wife out pretty fast, and I don't want that. So we will be questing and buying what we need.

We fealt weird popping out of the Isle at some random place. Although I am sure it is meant to be a nice place with stuff our level, we wanted to experience the things we missed. So we traveled as close to our starter town via the stone teleport, then took flying mounts to the area of the starter quest. We gonna try to start from there, though I am sure it will go fast since we will be over-powered.